Anyone else only working out at home ONLY

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never had a gym membership. I do DVDs. I've done so many over the years but right now I am doing Turbo Fire. I also have Zumba, which I LOVE, but I'm following the TF schedule and tracking my results so just doing that DVD at the moment.

I also do a lot of calisthenics - pushups, bench dips, squats, planks, burpees, lunges, jumping jacks, etc. There are a lot of great calisthenic routines available on the internet.

I also have a 'step' that I do step aerobics on. Sometimes with a weighted vest, sometimes without. And even though they bore me to tears, I sometimes lift weights.

When the weather is nice, I also run, walk, hike, jump rope and occasionally bike. I have a treadmill for walking or running at home but I rarely use it for anything other than drying my sweaters.
  • conmc61
    Options
    Stairs are great.Walk up and down as much as you can. Turn up the music and enjoy :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a gym membership in about 5 years, and I live a mile away from a nearly new beautiful YMCA. This is the equipment we have at home in our basement that we use instead:

- Home gym with a rack, bench, olympic bar and 300+lbs of plates
    - Concept 2 rowing ergometer - bought 15+ years ago, used regularly and still works like new.
    - 5, 10 & 20 lb dumbbells
    - Pull up bar
    - DVDs - P90x, Insanity, Pilates, Yoga
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I workout at home only too, I'm doing one video called prayfit, and I've got another the firm total body makeover that I haven't done yet and a few other older videos I haven't done yet either, along with some mini challenges I get from a group on here
  • H4Helen
    Options
    I work full time and don't have the energy to go regularly to a gym. I do the Davina dvds at home, its mainly kickboxing type moves but its a good cardio workout. I try to do them 3-4 times per week and it is good for weight loss and core stability/strengthening. I do worry about whether I am toning up enough though.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I work out only at home doing dvd's like Chalean Extreme, Cathe Muscle Max, Bob Harper, if the weather is good I also walk and bike.
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I only work out from home
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home. I run/interval training on my treadmill, strength training on my resistance machine and/or workout videos. In the spring/summer/fall, I like to go roller blading.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    yep my workouts are all via youtube and DVD.. I also walk my dogs. I am looking at starting kickboxing soon so that will be my only non home workout

I can't afford the gym and also there is the time factor - for me, so much easier as I get home from work, walk the dogs, do a workout and I don't have to worry about travelling time to/from gym
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    After YEARS of attending the gym every morning at 6am 5 x a week and seeing little to no improvement, I decided to let my membership lapse.

I was fed up of getting up at 5am and being away from home 12 hours a day. I would overeat constantly.

So for the past 10 days I been doing the 20 minute 30 Day Shred workouts on youtube.
    I properly assessed my calorie intake and the best way for me to lower it is via Alternate Day Fasting.
    I aim to take 10k steps a day and wear a monitor for this when not working out.

I have dropped a couple of kilos, my arms have GREAT definition already, the legs and stomach are coming along.
    I have reduced my bust, hips and waist measurements.

I am much happier to do a 20minute hard workout every day instead of 45mins of trying to distract myself with music/tv while working out.

I think a daily 20 min circut work out and ADF/ 5:2 is the way to go for me.

It fits in with my lifestyle and I am happier doing that than slogging it out at a gym.
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Wii fit, stationary bike, and jogging in place is what I do at home c:
  • tdemiter
    tdemiter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I work out from home as well. I walk/jog and use the Jillian Michaels Kicking boxing DVD (3 DVDs: upper body workouts, abs, and lower body workouts). I occasionally go to a Zumba class at the recreational center. Speaking of a recreational center, have you looked into that? They are typically cheaper than a gym membership. Good luck to you!!!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I am currently paying for a membership to Bikram Yoga and to a gym. I live 20 minutes/miles away from each. I started a new job a little over 6 months and haven't gone very much. I'm also working on a Master's Degree. I sat down and thought of ways I could use my limited time to travel to/from, the cost of gas, and the value of my time, and I decided I would workout from home most of the time. I bought a fluidity bar (because I know I love barre exercises) and I have an area in my house with the bar set up and a dvd player/tv. I feel like it saves me time to just work out from home. I don't feel like the gym can give me more than I can get at home right now.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Only home workout...
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I like working out at home. I don't have to make time for the gym and I don't have people staring at me.
  • MrsHazra
    MrsHazra Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    what Jillian Micheal's DVDs other than 30 day shred do you recommend for a beginner. I attempted 30 day shred and it was too much to begin with.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym with a burning passion. I will never go back.

I invested in a Schwinn elliptical a few years back and I usually do about half of my time on that and the other half doing strength-oriented DVDs. I have Jillian Michaels, p90X, Chalean...you name it I probably have it.

If you are a real newbie, I would suggest checking out some of Leslie Sansone's stuff. It's walking at home. Very low impact and you can choose how many "miles" you want to "walk." I use it sometimes on active rest days or when I just feel too wiped out to do high impact Jillian punishment! :laugh:
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I just walk to and from work everyday, about 3 miles. Plus I never, ever take elevators.
    At some point when I can get to bed a half hour earlier I will get up a half hour earlier and do either 30ds, old skool Callanetics, or Lotte Berke method DVDs.
  • kcatlin9
    kcatlin9 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    With busy kids, no time to go to the gym. I have a Bowflex (not a high end one) and a refurbished treadmill that I got a Sears Outlet for $599 (new retail $1299.) I have a whole home DVR so I catch up on my shows as I run. The great thing about the Bowflex is versatility and I don't have to worry about my little ones dropping a weight on their toes.

Yes, an up front expense, but I work out at my convenience and the time flies by watching movies or shows.