Makeup in the gym. Where do you stand?

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at work, usually at the end of the day, so I have makeup on simply because I wear makeup to work every day. I do not apply makeup right before hitting the gym, nor do I reapply makeup after my shower at the gym right before heading home. I don't wear much makeup anyways, just because it makes my face feel like it's suffocating.

I don't really have an opinion either way about other women wearing makeup. I do have an opinion about women (and men, for that matter) who seem to bathe in perfume/cologne/body spray--nauseating!!!

Everybody should take a little pride in her/his appearance.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Just depending on if I put make up on that morning , sometimes I wear my makeup to the gym. Ive seen a lot of people on here *****ing about seeing women with full on makeup at the gym, one saying, "it takes 3 minutes to wash it off before going to the gym!". It just made think how weird it is that people care so much that some one wore make up to the gym because they either did or did not think about putting some on before going to the gym. Its ridiculous that it annoys people. When Im at the gym Im eyes forward, concentrating on me and my work out.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I am usually wearing it at the gym because I head straight there after work.. But I've never put it on just to go there.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't care. Just don't come with a ton of smelly stuff on and I don't care if you have makeup on, only wear a sports bra, jiggle, don't jiggle, sweat enough, not enough or too much. Just don't wear perfume or cologne and choke me while I am working out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother putting on makeup when I was ONLY going to the gym, but if I went later in the day when I already had my face on, I didn't wash it all off first.

I do wear makeup when I run races. Bright red lipstick and a touch of eyeliner. My husband takes pictures when I cross the finish line, and it helps make me look less corpse-like.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't wear it and I have no feelings one way or another about people who do, live and let live as long as it isn't scaring the horses or the children.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    I don't see why people care. If I go after work (which I usually do) I have makeup on, and if I go in the morning (which I do on weekends), I don't. Shouldn't people be working out instead of staring at our faces? Goodness! :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... I only go with make up on if it was already on in the first place.... But then I rarely wear make up as it is... because I'm going to be honest "Ain't nobody got time for that"

Note: I was going to use a meme, but my work blocked it as "Tasteless".
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I don't even care if people put it on specifically to GO to the gym.

Whatever makes you feel confident enough to get in there and work it.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I wear makeup to the gym, by the end of the session I have wiped it off because I am drenched in sweat, bent over trying to catch my breath and trying to stay stood up because legs are wobbly. At this point, I am more worried about dying than make up. But that is me.
  • pinkxrubi
    Options
    I wear tinted moisturizer, blush, waterproof mascara, and i fill in my eyebrows! I usually go to the gym first thing in the morning, and I wouldn't want to scare anyone (or myself) looking like a zombie. haha :P
  • fitkitty1
    Options
    DO WHAT FLOATS YOUR BOAT! Personally I don't see the point in wearing makeup in the gym (I think its silly cause I'm there to sweat not look cute), but I don't knock the people who do. :flowerforyou:
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    the question is a matter of personal preference. Do you and do it well.
    that being said, i wear makeup all of the time. I work with children, birth to age four, they wouldnt care what I look like, but I do. I wake up probably 30 minutes earlier just to 'get ready' when I could just throw on sweats. Personal preference again, but I feel better about myself when I do- so I do it for me. People could argue back and forth against this- but there is a difference. I love my body though it is far from perfect and I would rather have a healthy relationship with myself. If you are obsessing about your appearance- which it sounds like you are not- then there is a problem.

any men who respond that its a waste to get all dolled up before the gym... isnt it just as big a 'waste of time' to shave nicely, pick out matching shorts and fancy nike's etc.? its for the same reasons- to look nicely on the outside. the only thing that should matter is how nice that same person is on the inside.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I dont typically put on makeup when Im going to the gym, but like others I will leave it on if I already have it on.

That being said if I'm having an "ugly" day, have a blemish that I find distracting, or just dont feel like I look that good and want to give myself a little confidence boost, I have been know to put on a coat of mascara or something else light that just makes me feel a little better specifically before going to the gym
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I look pretty awful without makeup on. My cheeks are ruddy and I can have random breakouts or look very tired.

I don't wear makeup when walking outside, but I do wear some foundation and light eye shadow to the gym - never mascara or anything that would run. I put just enough to cover the redness; I have never had it come off during a workout.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I dont wear makeup in the gym, but I feel more like myself when Im bareskinned. Even when I do wear makeup it's basically just mascara and a lip stain.

This being said, the more important thing about being in the gym, in regard to what you wear (not including dresscode stuff here and/or the overwhelming scent of chanel no.5 making peeps vom) is that you feel most like it is YOU, in YOUR MOST CONFIDENT STATE. Cause you're going to be seeing yourself doing alot of different things and watching your form. And if you aren't used to staring at your reflection bare faced... you may not feel like it is actually you in there doing all the leveling up, and you might see the gym as a place where you CANT be yourself.

So do whatever you want, just make sure you feel confident. If I wore makeup to the gym I guarantee you I would accidentally wash it off in the locker room ahead of time and not even realize it. :tongue:
  • katie9136
    katie9136 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always do. I feel naked without my eyeliner. I try to wash off any other makeup though so avoid even more clogged pores. I always sweat buckets so I feel that much more dirty if I have face on.
  • MommyAustin
    Options
    I only ever wear eye liner and waterproof mascara. I put it on at the beginning of the day, I workout at the gym in the evening. I don't take my make-up off just to go to the gym, I don't have the time! I have three kiddos and a husband to feed, so after supper, I'm always running out the door to make it to my gym classes in time!

It doesn't bother me when women come to the gym and have make-up on. They might be in a similar situation to me!

I don't judge. I-I-I WORKOUT! :wink:
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wear make-up when i hit the gym after work.
    in the morning, not so much haha
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup to the gym only because I go straight after work. But I also don't wear a whole lot of makeup in the first place so I don't have any issues with it running down my face or anything.