Things you never knew that when found out made you feel dumb

Options

Replies

• Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    One I learnt a few years back that astounded me was that sweet mince pies (the kind you get at christmas) don't actually have meat in them. I always thought the idea of minced beef and fruit together was gross so never tried them...until I was told its actually 'sweet mince meat' which is basically fruit.
    I also thought money laundering is where you accidently leave cash in clothes when you wash them...oh and that the black market was a market in Germany until my second year of university (shameful for a criminology graduate)

Wait, those pies are fruit and not meat?? *facepalm*

More info for you: Mincemeat usually DOES contain meat. It's a small amount but it's still in there.
    From the Nonesuch Mincemeat nutrition label (because I made Mincemeat cookies and still have half a jar of it in my fridge): Water, Corn Syrup, Raisins, Dried Apples, Molasses, Corn Starch Modified, Distilled Vinegar, Dried Citrus Peel, Salt, Spices, _BEEF_ , Bitters, Fruit Pectin.

I need to make some more cookies.. mincemeat cookies are delicious!
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The time I wore new black jeans, and had grey-ish blue hands and arms all day long.
    I was on Web MD aaalllll daaaay trying to figure out if I had circulation problems, and if I needed medical attention... Turns out it was the dye that transferred onto my arms. Figured that out at like 4:00pm that day. :grumble:
    I did this. Only I had dark blue jeans. My hands were blue and from my symptoms my doctor thought I had some rare disease. Turns out I just needed to wash my hands and not dry them on my pants...whoops
    I have blue climbing shoes made of dyed, unlined leather that even years later, leak blue dye onto my feet when I climb.
    I find it funny to take off my shoes in front of a new climbing buddy and say "hm, I think my shoes might be a little tight..." and wait for the response.
  • kairisika
    Options
    That all the continents were once one large land mass! I know I know...you can TELL just by looking at a map.
    If I'm right it is Pangaea. Learned this from Kim Possible who says cartoon can't be educational.
    Pangaea most recently, and they had before been another one big land mass in a different configuration beforehand known as Rodinia.
  • kairisika
    Options
    Also, a conversation I had when setting up my portable clothes dryer's vent hose to a window-insert so it'd vent outside:
    me: "Ugh, this [vent hose] isn't staying on right. Do you have tape or something? They should make stuff for this..."
    friend: "They do. It's called duct tape."
    me: *facepalm*
    Don't worry, you're still one up on your friend - duct tape actually isn't any good for ducts.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    That the term cracker for a white person refers to cracking a whip, not the food
  • CandiceScott69
    CandiceScott69 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Up until i was 5 pr 6, I used to think marriage was what made a woman pregnant. As in the actual ceremony. Awkwardddd
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    that wtg means way to go...i always thought it was a different version for wth or wtf
    Say it aint so bluecranonz!
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I first move to the south, someone said something about a bushhog. I thought it was an actual animal!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Not about me, but my daughter threw away her Blow Pop yesterday because it had gum in it! LOL

That is so cute!
  • mdyorston
    mdyorston Posts: 158
    Options
    just foundout how easy it is to replace the bulb in my headlight....bee driving around for 2 weeks waiting fro someone else to do it lol
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That girls can get pregnant up to three years before they actually start their menses. Learned that in history class in college.
  • notabiggirl35
    Options
    That my kids can be right sometimes...sssshhhh don't tell them I said that.:noway:
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That they call it a window Payne because watching some one leave through the window is pain..
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use to say 'second whim' instead of 'second wind'. I think I got this right.
    I used to say 'out of the frying pan and into the fryer' no one ever corrected me, so now I just say it fast so no one notices.

Also I still don't now what NSV means on this website, enlighten me.

At work I have some friends that use idioms incorrectly or use different words in places for example.
    Coming in thick and thin
    So many hoops you have to go over
    A problem halted is a problem solved
    Rise to your level
    Push comes to the shove.
    Feel free to add some more they make me laugh.

And here's a free fact for you today
    An octopus has 3 hearts

Have a good day all
    Ben :-)
    NSV=non scale victory (eg wearing a smaller size pant, etc.)

I always thought people were saying "old wise tails" not "old wive's tails". Only discovered that when I was about 25 :tongue:
  • phyllistheresa
    phyllistheresa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That Jodie Foster was gay....love her...but seriously was I the only one who didn't know this?
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Not me, but my kids. When Neil Diamond's song was out, they sang "Reverend Bluejeans" instead of "forever in bluejeans". Still makes me laugh every time I think of it. ha ha

It's not Reverend Bluejeans? Dang. This.
  • kristina_m92
    kristina_m92 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Lol, that corn bread was on corn dogs...
  • littledoll89
    Options
    When I was 20, I went to California alone, and the people I stayed with told me I could have gone to Mexico if I had my birth certificate; Up until that exact moment, I had NO idea that Mexico was actually connected to California. I got a "It's OK, you're pretty" badge that will last the rest of my life. :embarassed:
  • StampingJen
    StampingJen Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "That "schnapps" and "cognac" were actually the names of different kinds of BOOZE - - not just the names of my pet dogs when i was little "

We had a miniature german schnauzer named Schnapps too!