Things you never knew that when found out made you feel dumb

Options

Replies

• tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    i didnt know that when cats have babies they move their litter to a different basket after about a week,
    so when i came home and saw 1 kitty missing i freaked out and thought my cat ate a kitty!!!!!
    it went into this long story of my friend and i having a panic attack and throwing holy water on the kitties and the cat..
    and trying to make it come out from under the bed by feeding it a piece of lunch meat so it stops eating my kitty.....
    we got soo scarred and the mommy cat even pulled ANOTHER cat under the bed!!
    OH WE WERE IN A HUGE PANIC!! we were screaming and yelling thinking that my cat ATE ANOTHER BABY!!
    at this point we moved all the cats still "alive" to another room, locked the door, and said a prayer...
    my friend and i were so scared that we didnt want to come by the mommy kitty because we were scarred she would scratch our faces or eat us or attack us (we thought my cat had rabies) why else would the mommy cat bring 2 babies under the dark bed!!!!
    at this point we were crying and walking in circles we made ourselves sooo scarred that we left the house and luckily we saw
    two maintence men!!! :)
    so we told them our story and they came in our house to move our bed!!! OMG WE WERE SOOO SCARRED OF SEEING 2 BLOODY KITTENS!!
    they moved the bed and saw 2 healthy kittens with the mom breast feeding them... all the kitties looked up at us and my friend and i looked at the maintence men...
    the maintence men looked at us and asked " what are u guys on?"
    LOL!!!! haha!!!! omg we were soo scarred though!!! we were just soooo hung over and with that lack of sleep i guess it made us paranoid... ahh the good ole days...... after they left we were still a lil shaken up so we slept on the living room floor... (away from the healthy kitties)

thats what drinking to much liquor the night before and having only 3 hours of sleep will do to you.... lol... that was probably my dumbest moment ever... especially that we sprinkled holy water on the kitties because we thought they were possessed.. lol....

Question - Where did the holy water come from? Do you just keep it around for emergency kitten/demon possession?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    i didnt know that when cats have babies they move their litter to a different basket after about a week,
    so when i came home and saw 1 kitty missing i freaked out and thought my cat ate a kitty!!!!!
    it went into this long story of my friend and i having a panic attack and throwing holy water on the kitties and the cat..
    and trying to make it come out from under the bed by feeding it a piece of lunch meat so it stops eating my kitty.....
    OH WE WERE IN A HUGE PANIC!! we were screaming and yelling thinking that my cat ATE ANOTHER BABY!!
    at this point we moved all the cats still "alive" to another room, locked the door, and said a prayer...
    my friend and i were so scared that we didnt want to come by the mommy kitty because we were scarred she would scratch our faces or eat us or attack us (we thought my cat had rabies) why else would the mommy cat bring 2 babies under the dark bed!!!!
    at this point we were crying and walking in circles we made ourselves sooo scarred that we left the house and luckily we saw
    so we told them our story and they came in our house to move our bed!!! OMG WE WERE SOOO SCARRED OF SEEING 2 BLOODY KITTENS!!
    they moved the bed and saw 2 healthy kittens with the mom breast feeding them... all the kitties looked up at us and my friend and i looked at the maintence men...
    LOL!!!! haha!!!! omg we were soo scarred though!!! we were just soooo hung over and with that lack of sleep i guess it made us paranoid... ahh the good ole days...... after they left we were still a lil shaken up so we slept on the living room floor... (away from the healthy kitties)

thats what drinking to much liquor the night before and having only 3 hours of sleep will do to you.... lol... that was probably my dumbest moment ever... especially that we sprinkled holy water on the kitties because we thought they were possessed.. lol....

DR;TL-Reader's Digest version please (do they even still publish that?)

From what I gather (I didn't read it all either) she's a complete crazy person who thought that her cat was going to claw her to death....
  • jgrode1984
    Options

Omg! Hahaha. Literally just laughed out loud! .... The holy water! Lol
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my older brother told me that the granite/powder that they put in weights was cocaine. I believed that until I was about 17...
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I found out through watching Glee that Barbra Streisand is actually an insanely famous singer, not just an actress from Meet the Fockers..

Well, you're only twenty - she's 70 and has been singing since the 1960's!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    I also used to think that fly tipping was when someone threw rubbish out of a plane window.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I realized that the same melody was used for Twinkle Twinkle, ABCs, and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I'm still upset about this.

What? I didn't know about Baa Baa Black Sheep!

And to think, all of this music was stolen before the internet was invented.
  • wareagle8706
    Options
    I also used to think that fly tipping was when someone threw rubbish out of a plane window.

What is it??
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You know how your parents told you not to cross your eyes, because if someone hit you in the head when they were crossed, they might stay that way?

Yeah, I was in my 20s before I finally realized that wasn't true.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    That "TOM" wasn't just some creepy dude . . .

Too Funny ! Almost fell out of my chair on this one !
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The "AR" in AR-15 comes from the ArmaLite name (the first manufacturer) not from Automatic Rifle. AR's are not fully automatic and fire one round at a time exactly the same way a pistol or shotgun do.

Yep. I wonder if some people will learn that it is a defensive weapon, not an assault weapon.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options

What is it??

It's when you illegally dump large items like beds. Basically littering on a big scale. Maybe it's just a UK term?
  • wareagle8706
    Options

What is it??

It's when you illegally dump large items like beds. Basically littering on a big scale. Maybe it's just a UK term?

Maybe, I've never heard of it...

The thing that made me feel dumb: The day I realized that the singers on music video's weren't actually singing live. I was watching an Alanis Morissette music video and she stopped moving her lips to the words and started playing the harmonica while she was still singing. I was completely devastated.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For a couple months during football season.......with this TeBow football guy..people would say stuff like "ooh! I love Tebow"..etc.. TeBOW IS AWESOME....(I'm not a sports fan...this will be obvious)

and I kept thinking.....wow.. Tae bo (the exercise) must be having a great come back!!!!??? Great to see more people working out!!

Until I said it openly..and well.. people laughed at me and I cried..:laugh:
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have two things (probably more but don't want to look like an airhead)...
    1. I thought duct tape was really duck tape. I couldn't work out why ducks would need tape.
    2. I work in a hospital and for a good 7 years I didn't know what the acronym BIBA stood for. It's Brought In By Ambulance.
    Facepalm.
    'Duck' is a very common brand of duct tape. Duck brand calls it 'Duck tape'. So you're not too far off on that one.
  • kairisika
    Options
    That when calorie counting the calorie amounts are more if you are not on a 2000 calorie diet. IE Orange is 70 calories (based on a 2000 calorie diet) but is about 85 when based on my calorie level.
    Wait, what now? Percentages of things change based on the calorie level you consume, but a calorie is a calorie.
    Im sorry I got it backwards- not calories- Fat and nutrients- can change from calorie intake http://www.fda.gov/food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/NFLPM/ucm274593.htm- ex on a 2500 calorie diet the fat levels change by 5 g for the same food for a 2000 calorie diet. Not all do it- but when you watch fat its annoying lol.

this is so unbelievably stupid.
    The *percentage* of your daily diet depends on how many calories you plan to have in your daily diet.
    The actual *number of calories* or *number of grams in fat* do NOT change based on your diet!
    How stupid is this reasoning?
    Think for a minute. Here's a cracker. As I eat the cracker, it magically grows more fat grams if I am eating a 3000cal diet that day! Seriously?????
    The food doesn't change at all, and the laws of physics make that pretty clear. The percentage of your daily recommended intake is the only thing that changes, as say 5(g) is a larger percentage of 2000(cal) than it is of 2500.
  • kairisika
    Options
    That women weren't allowed in combat. I didn't realize it was 1950...
    Do some research. The reasons women have been kept out of contact go a lot deeper than just forgetting the year has changed. Some countries allow it, some don't, some have allowed it, then gone back and prohibited it again. It's not just an archaicism.
  • kairisika
    Options
    I just found out on Tuesday that Washington, D.C. is in "the District of Columbia" which is NOT a state it's a district why am I explaining this you probably all know it already.
    /CanadaEh
    Please note that this person does *not* speak for all Canadians...
    Anyone who's ever counted could be very clear that DC is not a state. Let alone just reading an acronym.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have two things (probably more but don't want to look like an airhead)...
    1. I thought duct tape was really duck tape. I couldn't work out why ducks would need tape.
    2. I work in a hospital and for a good 7 years I didn't know what the acronym BIBA stood for. It's Brought In By Ambulance.
    Facepalm.
    'Duck' is a very common brand of duct tape. Duck brand calls it 'Duck tape'. So you're not too far off on that one.
    To make it even more confusing, in most places it's a codes violation to use it on ducts. :)
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Blue from "Blue's Clues" is a girl. Always thought a blue dog would be a boy.