Replies

• NRLMMeynendonckx
    Options
    :laugh:
    :grumble:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If they think women aren't already out there sending rounds down range they are ignorant. I've had multiple friends who were shot and blown up. All my female friends left the wire and engaged in combat. It doesn't mean that's the job they signed up to do. There are plenty of women I served with that I would never want beside me when **** hit the fan (and some men too). Some people in general can't stand up to that kind of stress and some function very well under that kind of stress.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    umm forget it
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I also think that worse things will happen to a woman if she were ever captured than would a man.

I'm going to assume you are speaking about rape, and torture. Both are pretty terrible actions against another human being, no matter what gender is involved. I don't see how it could possibly be "worse", based on being a female. Unless raping a man isn't equally wrong and damaging somehow?

Lawrence of Arabia comes to mind.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I like joking that about the sexes, but in reality I believe if a person wants to do something, they should not be denied because of their sex. Yes, there are things that seem to be more suited for either a male or female, but if that person is suited/capable to do something, their sex should not be the deciding factor if they can or can’t be allowed to do that something.

Well said. If a woman can do the job as well as a man, then let her.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The Isreal army already tried this and it failed miserably. Men were not emotionally equipped when they saw women blown up or mortally wounded in combat and it made them less effective as soldiers. I believe woman can handle combat, but the ingrained nature of a man being a protector for woman could be a detriment to the mission.

Women have been a part of Israel's military since it was founded in 1948. They make up 33% of soldiers and 51% of officers.

Given the fact that there still IS an Israel, I would hardly say it failed miserably....

Dr. Ruth was a sniper in the Israeli military:

DrRuth1.jpg

I had to look that up as I had never heard that... that makes Dr. Ruth even more awesome to me!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Who was Voldemort's best fighter? Bellatrix Lestrange. Ain't no one stopped to help that *****.

Checkmate.

I thought Voldemort lost.

Yes, because he was a man.

What was the gender of his snake, who killed like half of the characters?

Female.

Checkmate.

Your knowledge of Harry Potter scares and impresses me.

MrlYI0T.gif
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Touchy subject. I think that it would be difficult for men to work with women on the front lines. An army guy friend of mine told me that when a woman steps into the equation, men naturally will try to defend or help her out. It's not that women are weak and can't do her job... but even "nowadays" good men try to protect women. The mission becomes "protect her, and do my job" rather than just "do my job." Sometimes, theres not room for both.

If someone put me on the front lines.... I'd be an emotional crazy wreck. But thats just me.

Yes, that's just YOU, so YOU don't sign up. And the emotional wreck is your personality, not your gender. Plenty of men would be, too. Don't sign up then.

Also, all the bad stuff that could happen to women? American women have already been captured and killed in combat. And the militaries of most other developed countries have women in combat as well.

There are plenty of excuses (I've even heard of menstrual cycles and field sanitation as being a problem), but they all boil down to sexism. If someone has the ability and desire to serve in combat, let them. Would you rather have women in combat, or risk having a draft of unwilling or uncapable men because we don't have enough soldiers?
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Does this also mean that we should change the ruling to make all women over the age of 18 to sign up for selective service?

Either that, or do away with selective service all the way.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Who was Voldemort's best fighter? Bellatrix Lestrange. Ain't no one stopped to help that *****.

Checkmate.

And who killed the Witch-king of Angmar outside Minas Tirith!? Éowyn!

Another checkmate.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Yikes! Touchy subject. I think that it would be difficult for men to work with women on the front lines. An army guy friend of mine told me that when a woman steps into the equation, men naturally will try to defend or help her out. It's not that women are weak and can't do her job... but even "nowadays" good men try to protect women. The mission becomes "protect her, and do my job" rather than just "do my job." Sometimes, theres not room for both.

If someone put me on the front lines.... I'd be an emotional crazy wreck. But thats just me.

Yes, that's just YOU, so YOU don't sign up. And the emotional wreck is your personality, not your gender. Plenty of men would be, too. Don't sign up then.

Also, all the bad stuff that could happen to women? American women have already been captured and killed in combat. And the militaries of most other developed countries have women in combat as well.

There are plenty of excuses (I've even heard of menstrual cycles and field sanitation as being a problem), but they all boil down to sexism. If someone has the ability and desire to serve in combat, let them. Would you rather have women in combat, or risk having a draft of unwilling or uncapable men because we don't have enough soldiers?

I'm pretty sure that I said... "but that's just me." I didn't say all women were like this. WOman.... WHOA...MAN!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Checkmate.

And who killed the Witch-king of Angmar outside Minas Tirith!? Éowyn!

Another checkmate.

bam!
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    But there are just certain things that we (women) are not and will not ever be able to be equal with men at on a regular basis.

Like what? Peeing standing up?
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    I would REALLY love to tell you what I think, really, like, you have no idea.

God.. Im biting my tongue
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If they think women aren't already out there sending rounds down range they are ignorant. I've had multiple friends who were shot and blown up. All my female friends left the wire and engaged in combat. It doesn't mean that's the job they signed up to do. There are plenty of women I served with that I would never want beside me when **** hit the fan (and some men too). Some people in general can't stand up to that kind of stress and some function very well under that kind of stress.

Ditto...as a former Marine, I most definitely concur.

One thing I always worried about when this subject would come up was that in my prime, I was 175Lbs of pretty much LBM...If I went down, would she be able to get me out? That was really my only concern; other than that, I knew some pretty awesome WMs.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Hearsay is not always the truth. I know a bunch of men that didn't cut it in combat. They had to go home crying. Sex had nothing to do with it, at all.

Prejudice against women is taught to most of us. We have to leave the old world thoughts behind. That “men couldn’t control themselves” excuse is used in the Middle East as a reason women’s faces should be covered. It sounds just as injudicious in that situation as it does in this one. We women can work, drive, vote, run for office and fight in wars.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    But there are just certain things that we (women) are not and will not ever be able to be equal with men at on a regular basis.

Like what? Peeing standing up?

Don't worry. She makes a statement like that, then doesn't back it up..

*shrugs*
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think that as others have said, "front lines" as we have thought of them historically don't function the same way anymore. My family is heavily involved in the military, and from what my cousins have said, women are seeing combat all the time because of the nature of the type of fighting against insurgents in Iraq. However, they are barred from certain promotions and applying for certain jobs because of the now extinct "front line" rule.

Also, if I hear one more defense like "the men won't be able to do their jobs because they'll be worried about the women," I'm going to scream. They should be doing their jobs, following command, and treating everyone the same. If they don't, it risks lives, but that is not the fault of a fellow female soldier. It's like saying that women who are wearing short skirts or drinking are asking for it. Men should be responsible for their own actions....and for the record, female American soldiers are much more likely to be sexually assaulted by a fellow soldier than killed in action. I'm pretty sure the "front lines" aren't the problem.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Does this also mean that we should change the ruling to make all women over the age of 18 to sign up for selective service?

I think they should do away with the selective service all together. I don't care if a woman wants to fight on the front lines. I think she should be allowed to if she wants to, but I for one NEVER want to be a soldier and the selective service (if they were to make women sign up) would take away my free will to not fight. Some men don't want to be in the army and if the draft were to go in place, they wouldn't have a choice if drafted. That is wrong.

While I would never want to be on the front lines, there are times of the month that I'd kill the enemy without blinking.... Just saying....
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think that as others have said, "front lines" as we have thought of them historically don't function the same way anymore. My family is heavily involved in the military, and from what my cousins have said, women are seeing combat all the time because of the nature of the type of fighting against insurgents in Iraq. However, they are barred from certain promotions and applying for certain jobs because of the now extinct "front line" rule.

Also, if I hear one more defense like "the men won't be able to do their jobs because they'll be worried about the women," I'm going to scream. They should be doing their jobs, following command, and treating everyone the same. If they don't, it risks lives, but that is not the fault of a fellow female soldier. It's like saying that women who are wearing short skirts or drinking are asking for it. Men should be responsible for their own actions....and for the record, female American soldiers are much more likely to be sexually assaulted by a fellow soldier than killed in action. I'm pretty sure the "front lines" aren't the problem.
    TRUE