Most hurtful comments

Options
I have to get this off my chest. I had a man "Oink" at me. He was a middle aged, well dressed man, who passed by me as I came out of the cupcake shop as I was picking up cupcakes for a birthday celebration in my office. He made 2 "oink" sounds as he passed by me and went on his merry way - probably feeling pretty good about himself that he was able to point out that I was fat. Thank you stranger, for making me feel bad about myself. Also, on another occasion, I was in Mexico with my family. Anyone who knows me knows that I can't pass by a stray animal without helping. So I bring ziplock bags with me and put some food from the buffets in it and after dinner I go to feed the local strays. I filled up a bag at dinner and took it to feed this tiny little beautiful white cat that was living under the sidewalk in a little hole. Later that night, a guy at the bar says to me "Did you get enough to eat at dinner?" I was confused for a moment then realized him and his wife were next to us and he probably saw me stuffing meat into my purse. "Yes, thank you, why do you ask" he kindly let me know that the buffets were open til midnight and if the 3 plates i had (soup, dinner and dessert, thanks for counting!) weren't enough, then I had a problem. He also walked away, quite proud of himself. I have never told anyone this, and I hate the fact that I am even dignifying their ignorance, but it hurt. Anyone else want to vent and let go of comments that have hurt them?

Replies

• krichardson0102
    krichardson0102 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am sorry people have been so rude to you. I don't understand why putting someone else down is ever ok, but not everyone thinks like me. I appreciate you feeding the strays!!! Know that you're a good person and try to let those rude and judgmental comments roll like water off a duck's back!
  • LouE
    LouE Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dont recall anyone aking comments like that to me but i can assure you they'd get the sharp end of my tongue and a big *kitten* off if they had!

Hw dare people be so nasty!
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's sad and pathetic that people feel the need to make demeaning comments to other people just to deal with their own insecurities. I'm not very good at holding my tongue so he and I would have had a few words. Don't let this get you down. The best revenge is to succeed. So succeed in your weight loss journey.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They are insecure and thats why they feel the need to make ignorant comments. forget them. You are beautiful on the outside as well as the inside.Keep doing what your doing. feel free to add me.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "Fat *****" shouted at me from a car window while walking (more than once). Extra infuriating as they were too cowardly to stick around to hear my response.

When I was a kid (11 or 12) a group of older guys who must have been in an older sibling's car used to follow me home from school and throw candy at me from the car window.

Edited for apostrophe.
  • booker2shoes
    booker2shoes Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how awful people are. It's sad. I've also been called "fat" and "pudgy." Even as a kid. I was told I was too fat to do ballet by a rec council ballet teacher! I was called "chunky" by my sewing instructor when I was 8. I've had other kids call me names throughout my life. My ex-boyfriend used to make fun of me for my size and lack of strength, then tell me I was crazy for dieting and exercising. It's hurtful, and it's mean! We'd never instruct our kids to say things like that! I'm sorry that you've been so hurt. It's difficult to let comments like that "roll off," like so many people will tell you to do. Those people are ignorant, and they don't define who you are. You are a beautiful, intelligent, kind woman. Thanks for having the courage to share your hurts with us. There are good people out there who support you on your journey to be HEALTHY and happy!
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    I have had people call me fat all my life. The funny thing is most of the people that did call me fat were mean hurtful grown women who really need to drop about 50 lbs themselves before they insult people. She said my head looked like a thumb, I clearly told her that her *kitten* was getting fatter by the minute every time I saw her. She told me her *kitten* was perfectly fine, yeah on what planet? lol. She was clearly offended cause after that she kept blowing up my phone and harrassing me..LOL. Then someone else called me a cow, when he was fat himself, even had a breathing problem..lol. I noticed the people who call me fat are hypocrites, and I don't really let it bother me. They are so insecure with their own bodies that they have to insult other people to make themselves feel better. I can tell you for a fact, that I can lose weight, but they will always be an ugly person inside and out.
    201340 Posts: 8
    Options
    For some reason, my experience anyway, is that people don't seem to have a filter when it comes to overweight people. They feel like they can say whatever they want. I had a doctor I know come up to me and say, looks like you put on weight since the last time I saw you. I wasn't asking for an opinion. You had some pretty nasty things said to you. BUT, you got it off your chest and now you can let it go. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    In Peru, when I was 50lbs heavier, randomn people on the street would greet me (nice as can be-no lie) Hola gordita!... Hello little fat lady! At first, I would be offended... but after a few months, I realized that they didn't mean it in a bad way at all... just a cultural difference. When I lost 50lbs many of them would just refer to me as White woman.

In your case, it sounds like it was meant to hurt your feelings. Just let it roll off your back!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I have been screamed at from cars more times than I could count, many times while I was pushing a baby stroller or just generally had children in tow. Then, one time, I was walking down the street, and I had a red shirt on and someone yelled "Hey, Kool-Aid!" from a second floor window. I didn't wear red for almost 10 years after that. I will never understand the ease with which some people inflict serious emotional scars on others, just for fun. :(
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be overweight than a pos.
  • lorijlozano
    Options
    :drinker: Hi there...are you kidding me...what a couple of *kitten*-*****....don't you dare waste your pretty little head on those jerks. and kuddos to you my dear for over-coming and moving forward in 2010...:flowerforyou: Now to let you know my dear you are not alone...sometimes I wonder if over the years I maybe let my weight get so out of control do to exact jerks like you ran across. I remember as a young girl and getting that womanly figure (my breasts & hips) emerged before the other young girls I went to school with, but seems the only people I attracted were the jerks who couldn't believe an 11-12 girl didn't want their ugly advances...the more weight I gained the less I had to deal w/them...and by the way the advances came from all..all ages too...from school-mates, to people I met walking to school to clergy...:grumble: I married early 20...had children & here came fat girl again....that marriage lasted 8 yrs.:ohwell: 4 yrs. later I married the prince I am married to today/30 yrs. ago Valentine's Day:love: but he has witnessed first hand the pain & humilation I have delt with. Are people so ignorant they think we sit at home and say...ohhhh I sooo badly want to be FAT.....are you kidding me...I think one of the most hurtful times was when my beautiful daughter, Brandi was having an icecream party at school, she was around 8. Once I arrived to the lunch room the little girl next to her told the girl next to her. "hurry, let's go get our ice-cream, Brandi's mom just arrived & if she gets up there will be none left for any of us." Talk about wanting to die....I don't know who hurt more Brandi or I. Hold you head up and just remember there are good people and there are bad......you know you are one of the GOOD-ones....I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.....:flowerforyou: Lori
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    No man EVER is brave enough to do that to me.
    I emit a mean persona I suppose. Plus, I'm tall.

Correction, years ago I had quit smoking and had put on some poundage and the one fella at my office that dared to ask me why I'd gained so much weight, I tore him a new one.
  • Arkie_Ali
    Arkie_Ali Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When daughter was about 6 months old (and I was still carrying a lot of weight around my mid-section), I had a lady walk up to me at the grocery store and ask when I was due. I told her "six months ago" and pointed to my daughter, she then apologized.

The worst though, would have to be from my own father. I was pudgy as a pre-teen and he used to call me fat all the time.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My word... just how rude can people get!
    :huh:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i cannot even begin to comprehend how anybody could say something like that to a complete stranger. it boggles my mind that people can be raised in such a way as to think that's in any way appropriate or acceptable in polite society. maybe it's a generational thing, but when i was a kid, we were taught to be polite to strangers as normal everyday behavior.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I would have told them to consume feces and expire!:bigsmile:
  • Aysla1
    Aysla1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What a moron.. people in general are just spiteful most of the time there is something wrong in their lives and they lash out at people to make themselves feel good. It doesn't last long then they are off to do it someone else. Ignore the pettiness and know what a beautiful and loving person you are.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    "One upping" is a common trait amongst *kitten*.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have to get this off my chest. I had a man "Oink" at me. He was a middle aged, well dressed man, who passed by me as I came out of the cupcake shop as I was picking up cupcakes for a birthday celebration in my office. He made 2 "oink" sounds as he passed by me and went on his merry way - probably feeling pretty good about himself that he was able to point out that I was fat. Thank you stranger, for making me feel bad about myself. Also, on another occasion, I was in Mexico with my family. Anyone who knows me knows that I can't pass by a stray animal without helping. So I bring ziplock bags with me and put some food from the buffets in it and after dinner I go to feed the local strays. I filled up a bag at dinner and took it to feed this tiny little beautiful white cat that was living under the sidewalk in a little hole. Later that night, a guy at the bar says to me "Did you get enough to eat at dinner?" I was confused for a moment then realized him and his wife were next to us and he probably saw me stuffing meat into my purse. "Yes, thank you, why do you ask" he kindly let me know that the buffets were open til midnight and if the 3 plates i had (soup, dinner and dessert, thanks for counting!) weren't enough, then I had a problem. He also walked away, quite proud of himself. I have never told anyone this, and I hate the fact that I am even dignifying their ignorance, but it hurt. Anyone else want to vent and let go of comments that have hurt them?

You should have said "when did they release you from the farm? You seem to be lost in people land."

Projection, darling. Only people who have some sort of insecurity need to make others feel bad. But then again, no one can make you feel bad without your consent.