Presentation on hot topic To Spank or Not To Spank

Options
123457»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I stayed out of here wondering whether this was about parenting or bedroom hijinx... then i realized my answer is the same on both...Spank!

It's the littlest thing and has the biggest impact. Not too hard though it's just meant to get an emotional feeling not an actual physical pain. A little goes a long way.

That explanation applies in both cases. (most economical topic ever, two topics with one answer!)

Oh and for those requesting research:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYviBsqwwzE
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    We live in a time where everyone is too afraid to hurt someone's feelings. That is evident in this thread from all the liberals speaking out against spanking a child. Children need to be spanked, they just don't need to be beat.

Why exactly do they "need" to be spanked? I'd like to know what health or mental problems I should be expecting to develop due to my lack of being spanked as a child. I'm 27 now and so far, so good. At what age does it usually become apparent that one should have been spanked in childhood?

No health or mental problems, that's acctually caused by spanking, haven't you read some of the posts? ROFL. When a kid acts like an *kitten* they need a swat on theirs. It's pretty simple.

That's lazy parenting. How about putting some effort into teaching them right from wrong before they start acting "like an *kitten*"? My siblings and I were all well behaved without ever being punished in any way, we were never even put in "time out".
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    There is no research that I am aware of, good scientific peer reviewed research, not puff pieces, that suggest spanking is good. I think this was done in like the 70's and has been proven over and over and over again wight the same conclusions. So, it's not really a matter of opinion, more of one of ignorance. Many people ignore the research and spout their opinions. Which, really are meaningless.

It is not a matter of ignorance, thank you very much. Just look around and see how today's youth acts. There is your research. I spank my children, to include my sixteen year old if need be, and they wouldn't dare act towards an adult the way many kids do. It IS completely a matter of opinion and what works for your child.

The problem is, parents are afraid of their kids. The liberal society we live in wants to eliminate anyone getting their feelings hurt and no one having an upper hand, even if they worked harder to get it. Parents are afraid that if they whipped their kids the kid would get mad and not be their BFF for a couple days so they just let the little demons do whatever they want at the expense of other people who have to put up with their mutant spawns.

Way to assume things. Just because a parent doesn't hit their kid, DOES NOT mean that kid will be a terror nor does it mean they're scared of said kid. My friend never spanked her kid and although from time to time he acts up, like a NORMAL kid, he's a generally well-behaved 6 yr old. She punishes by either taking away privileges/toys or sending him to time-outs.

And there you go again with using the word "liberal" like it's an insult.......
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There is no research that I am aware of, good scientific peer reviewed research, not puff pieces, that suggest spanking is good. I think this was done in like the 70's and has been proven over and over and over again wight the same conclusions. So, it's not really a matter of opinion, more of one of ignorance. Many people ignore the research and spout their opinions. Which, really are meaningless.

It is not a matter of ignorance, thank you very much. Just look around and see how today's youth acts. There is your research. I spank my children, to include my sixteen year old if need be, and they wouldn't dare act towards an adult the way many kids do. It IS completely a matter of opinion and what works for your child.

The problem is, parents are afraid of their kids. The liberal society we live in wants to eliminate anyone getting their feelings hurt and no one having an upper hand, even if they worked harder to get it. Parents are afraid that if they whipped their kids the kid would get mad and not be their BFF for a couple days so they just let the little demons do whatever they want at the expense of other people who have to put up with their mutant spawns.

This, to me, seems like a stretch and an over generalization. Not spanking certainly does not mean being "afraid" of your kids. Just like hitting them does not automatically ensure you will have a well behaved child. Conservative or liberal, there are many ways to be a good parent.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I vote do what's best for your kids and your family... If time outs work for your kids... then give them time outs... If sending them to their rooms works, then send them to their rooms. If spankings work best for your kids. (we are talking spankings NOT beatings here) then spank them.

Personally I was spanked as a kid and have nothing against people choosing to spank their kids... I guess it will all just depend on what ends up working best for my family and my kids when I have them.

I will say however that parents that choose to not discipline their kind in any fashion are NOT doing them any favors though. It's been my experience that kids who are never told no, and are never held accountable for their actions grow up to be not so pleasant adults.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I don't know if it's their kids the parent's are afraid of or the police, social services, dr's, teachers, etc....all those people whose duty it is to report any perceived abuse. And I think the term you refer to is demon spawn. My in laws have a few of those holy terrors all grown up now and causing menace to society and a drain on taxpayers and families wallets.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I was smacked and all it ever did was make me feel angry. I never felt I deserved to be hit, so I don't think it worked for me at all.

I also remember two much naughtier kids boasting about how much their parents hit them. Clearly it hadn't worked on them.

I think it can also make it hard for some children to respect other forms of authority. Their teachers can't hit them, and as only pain works for them, they have no respect for their teachers. If you will only behave for people who might hit you, that's a real problem.

We used positive instructions with my son, and I would do it again. If he climbed on the table, we said 'Feet on the floor', and he did as we said, and because we didn't use 'No' all the time, neither did he, making him less rebellious than many toddlers. His day care was meant to be using the same system, but I never saw them doing it. This caused the same problems as only using violence, as he wasn't used to their methods, which I think is more about how important communication between settings is than anything else.

Finally, as long as spanking is legal, I would defend a parent's right to use it. A grandparent/parent I know told her son's school that she had hit him, how and why, so that they wouldn't get the wrong idea if they heard it from the child. However, the school called Social Services and she was put under investigation. While under investigation, her grandchild was taken into care and she was unable to step in to foster him because of the investigation, so the child went to strangers. The investigation found she was a good mother. I understand child protection is an important responsibility, but knowing a parent has hit a child in a controlled way should not put their parenting into question.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    We live in a time where everyone is too afraid to hurt someone's feelings. That is evident in this thread from all the liberals speaking out against spanking a child. Children need to be spanked, they just don't need to be beat.

Why exactly do they "need" to be spanked? I'd like to know what health or mental problems I should be expecting to develop due to my lack of being spanked as a child. I'm 27 now and so far, so good. At what age does it usually become apparent that one should have been spanked in childhood?

No health or mental problems, that's acctually caused by spanking, haven't you read some of the posts? ROFL. When a kid acts like an *kitten* they need a swat on theirs. It's pretty simple.

That's lazy parenting. How about putting some effort into teaching them right from wrong before they start acting "like an *kitten*"? My siblings and I were all well behaved without ever being punished in any way, we were never even put in "time out".

Congrats on being the first perfect child in history.
  • moosegt35
    Options

I don't know if it's their kids the parent's are afraid of or the police, social services, dr's, teachers, etc....all those people whose duty it is to report any perceived abuse. And I think the term you refer to is demon spawn. My in laws have a few of those holy terrors all grown up now and causing menace to society and a drain on taxpayers and families wallets.

None of those people can report squat if their isn't abuse to begin with. I never said beat your kids, I said spank them.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Way to assume things. Just because a parent doesn't hit their kid, DOES NOT mean that kid will be a terror nor does it mean they're scared of said kid. My friend never spanked her kid and although from time to time he acts up, like a NORMAL kid, he's a generally well-behaved 6 yr old. She punishes by either taking away privileges/toys or sending him to time-outs.

Well I suppose if you are in favor of punishing success, rewarding failure and always being a politically correct nancy, it isn't.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Well I suppose if you are in favor of punishing success, rewarding failure and always being a politically correct nancy, it isn't.

You don't know what a liberal is at all......I'll bet you're a homophobe too, by the way you use a female name to insult as well.
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm prefacing my answers with the fact that I am not a parent. ( and I love hot topic speeches/projects in school!)

How do you feel about spanking your child?
    I'm undecided. I think that I would but my wife is strongly against it, so I probably wouldn't for that reason. I was spanked and she was not, and she is much more well adjusted than I.
    Do you feel that it's an apropriate punishment in this day and age?
    Occasionally, but not in public. (which makes it seem like it's wrong, so I guess I'm against it?)
    At what age do you feel the child should move on to other type of punishment?
    As soon as they are able to understand logic and that their actions have consequences that can be expressed in words not pain.
    Do you feel that race plays a part in spanking?
    No
    Do you think the rate/importance of spanking has gone down in the present generation as compared to the older generations?
    No, I think our attitudes towards children have changed. We now understand that our actions greatly affect the person they will grow up to be.
    Do you feel that children's behavior now days has changed as a result of parents being scared to spank their child?
    Not really but I'm sure an occasional child knows they can get away with more because of it.
    Were you spanked as a child and do not spank your own kids and why/why not?
    I was spanked as a kid, but I don't have any children of my own.
  • moosegt35
    Options

You don't know what a liberal is at all......I'll bet you're a homophobe too, by the way you use a female name to insult as well.

I do know what a liberal is, they are pretty easy to spot. I am not a homophobe even in the least. The sexuality of other people is none of my business and doesn't effect my life at all.