What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound completely ridiculous...but I watch alot of Law & Order SVU lol....

The saying goes "fat people are harder to kidnap" I have a very irrational fear that when I hit my goal weight, I will be easier to kidnap! It scares me a little.

I think being heavier gives me a false sense of security that I could handle myself better in a altercation with a man...not that I've ever had one.

I need to stop watching criminal shows. End of story.

I agree with MANY of the other posts, but this one is kind of unusual and I say ^This^ totally! When I was bigger, I did feel 'tougher!' Now, I feel like a scrawny weakling and I hate that! So, now for weight lifting to build up these guns so I feel like I can take em on! :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    having people tell my my butt is sexy. i've always hated my thighs as they seemed to run straight into by but with no delineation ( i had thi-*kitten* or ars-igh. now apparently i have a sexy butt!

smiling when i look in the mirror i didn't realize how unhappy i was with what i saw in the mirror till i was happy

realizing i have the figure for skinny jeans

i am loving the new me - and that's the best surprise. for the first time in my life i feel attractive

also how much use my sewing machine gets- i am quite good at altering my clothes now!
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    I've found that I'm so much more conscious of how I am feeling, whether that be tired, full of energy, blue, happy etc. That definitely wasn't one I was expecting.

My life is less stressful - I hadn't realised how stressful being overweight was. I used to constantly worry about going to new places - would the chairs be wide enough and sturdy, would the airplane seatbelt fit.

There's lots of other lovely ones like compliments, being called inspirational, getting asked for ID when buying booze (at the ripe old age of 35), being told by everyone I look younger, shopping, feeling physically capable when trying out new classes at the gym. I could go on all day.

What I didn't reckon on was that dieting would continue to be a struggle, even after almost achieving my goals. I didn't realise just how hard the last 20lbs would be. I also didn't realise how plagued by fear I'd be about going back to where I was.

I haven't noticed any additional male attention or feeling cold though.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    TMI warning...while I agree with what most guys have said...I can pee better too :)

I'm 33 now, and I was in CRAZY good shape in H.S. and College (played all kinds of sports), but I got a desk job and 3 kids and put on 70 lbs. It really bugged me because my whole life up to that point I was an athlete and it had gotten to the point I couldn't run for more than a minute or two without being completely tired. I didn't even feel like myself anymore.

Now I can run 4-5 miles no problem.

Other good:

1] People constantly talk about it at work and when I'm out (it's fun to hear, but when it's the only topic it gets old sometimes).
    2] A few people have said I'm the reason they're getting back in the gym :)
    3] I spend more time looking in the mirror (probably not a good thing, but I can't help it)
    4] I've grown a beard before but hated it, now I have one and love it (I had a fat face).
    5] Spending time outside. I've a very outdoors person and I couldn't take the heat when I was bigger.
    6] I don't get sick as much, or at the very least it doesn't effect me as much
    7] I have confidence, but not necessarily because of how I look but because I know I can accomplish what I set my mind to
    8] I actually was NEVER a morning person, but I realized that the only way I would have time to work out is in the mornings. So I've been getting up at around 5-6am every day for the past year...it actually feels REALLY good to get such a good start
    9] I love the way my face looks now (probably the most unexpected)
    10] I wear my seatbelt more
    11] I can wear a medium shirt instead of XXL
    12] I gave up pop COMPLETELY save 1 or 2 a month and almost every single bit of caffeine in my life. I strongly recommend this. I have so much more energy now. Caffeine doesn't even give you more energy, it just causes you to burn more and when it's done, you have less than if you'd not had any at all so you have to 'dose again'. It's a bad cycle IMO.

The bad:

- I pretty much had to replace my wardrobe (and I gave away all my 'fat' clothes).
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My stamina.... for shopping!! :)
  • nps101
    nps101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How much I enjoy being active, and the lack of period cramps :)
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    A lot of people don't recognize me or gawk when they realize they know me. I never thought I would get such a reaction.

I have the same reaction. It is amazing. I also struggle with the loose skin but toning it up takes time and I work hard.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My feet got smaller! Went from a 9/9.5 to an 8.

I thought I was imagining things but my shoes are all feeling bigger! I'm glad I'm not alone!

Me too. It's kind of annoying, but not a huge deal.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My health. I know i was going to be healthy losing weight... didn't expect to lose my blood pressure issues or acid reflux. I now don't have either, and its NICE!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Way TMI but keeping it very real:

- I stopped pee'ing when I laughed or coughed. Used to have to wear a sanitary napkin just in case

- "Things" moved and didn't line up like they used to. Yep, talking about sex. It was like learning to ride a bike again. (ha!)

- I successfully got off of 6 medications to control blood pressure, sugars, and cholesterol. I was HOPING for this result, but when it actually happened and I had normalized all my numbers - that was a surprise.

- How much saggy skin I had, and how much I didn't care. (even tho I eventually did have it removed)

- That I no longer had to worry about chairs, toilet seats, benches BREAKING when I sat on them. I don't say this comically - it was a very real fear and my mind still plays it on my sometimes. When I was at my largest, I *did* break a toilet seat right off the wall in a public bathroom. And I'd sat on lawn furniture and had it break. Not my proudest moment, but... it happened.
  • francescainwonderland
    Options
    Being able to cross my legs easier.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You gain about 1/2" back onto your penis for every 10lbs lost.

* Note: I don't know if this is actually true
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bumping for inspiration
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago, I was at a football game where it was pouring rain & I slid, on my butt, down the metal bleacher steps. The bruising made it hurt for awhile and I never thought anything else of it until I've lost most of my padding on my bottom. It now hurts to sit on unpadded surfaces. That was certainly an unexpected surprise.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have noticed that getting rid of excess fat has run over into getting rid of other stuff. Wanting to be more organized and throwing things out that before I held onto. (Like those extra pounds)
    this bizarrely though i hadn't connected it to weigh loss!
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't recognize me or gawk when they realize they know me. I never thought I would get such a reaction.

this is a good thing -don't get me wrong but the one thing that is kind of annoying is the age old question "how'd you do it?" lately i'm tempted to say i've got a dependable drug dealer on speed dial, imagine their reaction???? :laugh:

noone seems to believe me when i say, plain and simple, calorie counting and moderate exercise. they expect me to say some magic pill or method...smh
  • serenapitala
    Options
    I still have a ways to go, but after losing 56 pounds I...
    Can actually run a mile (I've always hated even trying to run)
    Don't like my smile as much (I had cute, chubby dimples. Now they just look like wrinkles)
    Have smaller feet
    Am cold a lot of the time
    Have random girls at the gym compliment my legs and ask what I do :-)
    Have no butt (still working on that one)
    Can do that weight loss commercial thing with my old pants where you hold them really far out, drop them down and reveal your new smaller self (Yes, I've done it in front of the mirror :-P)
    Have flabby skin :-(
    Am flexible

There are good surprises and bad ones, but it is worth it. I can put up with the downsides of weight loss. I couldn't put up with the downsides of weight gain anymore.
  • serenapitala
    Options
    the one thing that is kind of annoying is the age old question "how'd you do it?" lately i'm tempted to say i've got a dependable drug dealer on speed dial, imagine their reaction???? :laugh:

noone seems to believe me when i say, plain and simple, calorie counting and moderate exercise. they expect me to say some magic pill or method...smh

Lol
    Every time someone asks they look excited. When I say, "A lot of exercise and a lot of healthier foods," their faces just drop. No one really wants to hear that the secret is what they already know.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When I went to Victoria's Secret, I was looking in the same section I always do and the sales lady came over and said "Honey, these things are way too big for you, you need to be in this section." And she showed me to a smaller size section. I had no idea that a few pounds would make that much of a difference in underwear. Sadly, I have gained a few pounds since then, and those sexy underwear don't fit quiet like they did.

But I am working on it!
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    the one thing that is kind of annoying is the age old question "how'd you do it?" lately i'm tempted to say i've got a dependable drug dealer on speed dial, imagine their reaction???? :laugh:

Lol
    Every time someone asks they look excited. When I say, "A lot of exercise and a lot of healthier foods," their faces just drop. No one really wants to hear that the secret is what they already know.
    HAHAHA! Completely.

I actually kind of look around like I've got a big secret I don't want to get out and almost whisper, "Eat healthy and work out...don't tell anyone".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!