Online Relationships...

Options
I was out to dinner with my friend tonight and we got onto the topic of my boyfriend, of 6 months and someone overheard us talking and got involved in our conversation and it came out that my boyfriend and I met online. To which I was immediately told "You shouldn't broadcast that" later after this person had to-my-knowledge exited the conversation me and my friend were talking about her helping me and my boyfriend move into our apartment. To which this person starts laughing and saying things like "really you dont even know him you met online" and "hide your valuables he'll rob you blind" and kept laughing about it.

I got to thinking. Is it really so bad that the guy I'm seeing and moving in with is a person, who lives only 20 minutes from me, that I wouldn't of met if I hadn't been on a dating website? I mean, before his family met me even he lied and said that we met "at the mall" So should I really be trying to cover-up how we met?

For me it isn't a big deal that we met online as the majority of my relationships and dates happened with somebody that I met off of myyearbook/meetme so its my normal. But is online dating seriously that looked down upon?

Whats your opinion of online dating? Is it something that you have done or would ever consider? If you have done it how did it work out?

Replies

• rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have several friends who met their s/o online and are very happily inlove, even married with kids.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online... I wasnt looking for anything, but he sent me a msj to my personal profile and we started to talk... after few weeks talking I decided to give him the chance to meet him... we were so perfect to each other that after our 3rd date (for 3rd date he took me to san carlos mexico for 5 days) I moved in with him... we used to live 1 hour apart....

I guess my story would answer your question....

we tell everybody the truth, we don't carewhat others think... we are very happy together since date 1 (3 years ago) we got married 5 months ago
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend online and we have been together two and a half years and going strong. I do still hear people thinking its a bad thing, but I always think how is meeting someone online any different than meeting them at the bar, at school, through a friend or anywhere? You meet someone, you get to know them, you figure out if you like them and want to be with them and then live happily ever after ;) Ya I hate when people are against it. Doesn't make any sense!!
  • missmadejavu
    missmadejavu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Almost ALL of me relationships started online, I met my ex that I dated for 3 years on a dating site, I met my current boyfriend 6 years ago on Mysapace. I see nothing wrong with it, the internet helps us meet people we might not have met otherwise and that is an amazing thing, don't let the judgement of those who don't know you make you question yourself. Who cares what someone who doesn't know you thinks? The only opinions that should matter are those of your friends, family and boyfriend. Online dating is an extremely popular thing now, and something like 40 million people have tried it .
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Ive been married for almost 13 years (with for 15 years) a man that I met online, but no, I guess that stranger was totally right your relationship will never last /sarcasm. I don't think it matters at all how you met.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    It's not like you only talked to the dude online and are now moving in, right??? This is what people are imagining.

Meeting someone online is fine. Dating someone's online personae and expecting that to be who they are IRL is nutso.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It's just another avenue of meeting people. I met my love online and now we bought a house and I am moving 5.5 hours to be with him. We met two years ago and he's the man of my dreams. If it weren't for the internet, we never would have been bold enough to meet each other, as we are so shy and never would have ran into each other...I never would have met this wonderful man. I think internet dating is a fine way of meeting people. Yes, you get creepers, but you also get those the old fashioned way of dating as well.
  • renecathlene
    Options
    I met my boyfriend online. We've been dating for 3 years, living together 2.5 ad we have a 2 year old daughter together.
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online.. and we were even in different countries (opposite parts of the world, too)! :) After emailing/talking on the phone for 3 months, he came to visit me and stayed with me and my family for three weeks. He then came back 4 months later and we moved in together. :) We have been happily together for over 12 years now. I proudly tell anyone that we met online.
  • bethanykf
    Options
    In March of 2003, while living in Michigan, I met a guy on line who lived in Montana. By April I knew I loved him and we planned for me to visit. I got a LOT of judgmental comments (including the 'I wouldn't advertise that' comment). I knew that my visit yo Montana would ultimately be a move to Montana, but didn't tell anyone that. Got to Montana in August 2003 and married the man in November. We've been married for going on 10 years and have an 18-month-old son. Our relationship hasn't been perfect, but what relationship is? I'm so glad that I risked it despite what everyone else said. Good luck, I really hope it all works out well for you guys!
  • tiggertail
    tiggertail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's nothing to be ashamed/embarrased about.
    I met my husband online 6 years ago! Neither of us was looking for anything serious...we got married last month! So long as you've both gotten to know each other since you first met I say go for it...you only live once! :happy:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There's a negative stigma to it, that's all. You can meet some real weirdos out there. Of course you can meet lots of weirdos in real life as well, but you don't know what you'll end up with online until you meet them and hang out a few times.

Anyway, while I have dated internet people and had some really good relationships through it I wouldn't tell anyone ... no need for that unasked for judgment.
  • Bracciano
    Bracciano Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No shame at all. I've met some really great friends to this day from online and dated a few great girls. Who gives a damn how you met? More power to you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Nobody in my real life knows this but I met my hubby online. We are happy and have a kid.

I hijacked him from a friend who was on an online dating site. They were done with each other and not each others "type" and so she said you were rooting for him so hard now that your relationships over why don't you date him, so I said...as a matter of fact i think i will!
  • NyxariaMoon
    NyxariaMoon Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met online. Prior to him my two previous relationships were also met online. One lasted 4 years and the other 2 years. My husband and I will be celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary in May and we have been together for almost 5 years now. I'd say it's worked out rather well. I have never hidden how I met him or my exes. In fact my husband and I love to tell our story when people ask how we met. :)

When I first started online, some family and friends would make some of those same comments. My answer was, what's the difference meeting someone in person that you don't know and meeting someone online you don't know? Someone would inevitably answer, they are online, they must be hiding something! I then asked was I? They never had a response.

I liked online because I am very shy in person and being online and just emailing/im'ing was easier for me and allowed me to be more relaxed. It made it easier for me to meet them in person as well. If not for the Internet, I think I would probably still be single as I am too shy to talk to people I don't know. Thing is, you still have to use judgement when meeting and dating someone no matter if you met online or not.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I have dated a couple people online and it was amazing. I think it is a wonderful way to get to know who a person is and to learn about them without any pressure being involved. And when you meet them it is surprisingly easy and not awkward.
  • ohmynicoley
    ohmynicoley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Online relationships are actually pretty great. My husband and I met on Youtube back in 2008, we dated for 4 years then got married. I was pretty young when I met him online so I told my parents we met through mutual friends. But now of course everyone knows we met online through Youtube. Nothing to be ashamed of. Of course you always want to make sure they aren't 'catfishing' it.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    So this someone... that you didn't invite into your conversation, who invited themselves into your conversation... you're allowing them space in your head?

Dude. If this person rattled you that much, perhaps they're on to something. No matter how rude and presumptuous their conversation butting may have been.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance online! Turns out I walked past his workplace every week, and we went to rival schools in the same county, and we never met. I'm so grateful that the dating website hooked us up! :)
  • bluecrush1203
    bluecrush1203 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Assuming you've gotten to know him pretty well before moving in, who cares how you met? I met my fiance almost 4 years ago, we moved in together after a year and are getting married in 3 months. After a few months of dating him I learned he was more honest and trustworthy than any other guy I met in "real life."