Online Relationships...

Options

Replies

• NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I met my current girlfriend online and we have been together for 6 months.

I don't see how it is any different to meeting someone in a bar or any random place and meeting people online now is way different to 10 or 15 years ago, I think it has become far more widespread now that everyone has ipads/laptops/smart phones.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's easier for people to open up online. Just like any relationship, a good or bad one can come from online relationships. I think that long distance online relationships are a little sketchy, but if you really feel for that person then that's just fine. As long as you and your s/o are happy that's all that matters.
  • ton40orbust
    Options

But why did your boyfriend lie to his family about where he met you? That's a little odd, I think.

His family didn't want him driving 20 minutes away from his city to come see me (when we first met I didn't have a car that ran very well so we met at a state park that was walking distance from my house) so he didn't feel comfortable saying we met online because he didn't want to be ridiculed by his family for having to resort to the internet to find someone. They know the truth now.
  • ashdred
    ashdred Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met on MySpace. A string of friendly conversations started a great friendship. At first, I felt a little awkward about it. I would just say we met each other hanging out. We hung out around some of the same places ... with a few degrees of separation ... it wasn't impossible. So, I never really dealt with much backlash because...those who mattered, didn't care.

But when we were in the process of getting married and created our wedding site, I decide to let the cat ou the bag. I figured it could possibly give someone else hope.

We're approaching
    7 years of friendship
    6 years of coupledom
    3 years of marriage
    and 1 little 8 mo old wild boy lol
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    just tell people you met in a strip club, or at a swingers bar, and when they look horrified say oh not really...we met on a dating site, its so much better than picking up strangers is a bar don't you think?
  • GracesEternalDawn
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend met online.. and i'm not afraid to tell anyone that. I seriously don't think anything's wrong with meeting someone online.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. I met my hubby online and we never hid that fact. We encourage others to try online dating. U don't really know the people u see everyday either like at work for example. U take a chance either way.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on this Site actually..... Who knew =)
    He is the most Amazing thing since Ice cream & Pop Tarts! True Story! :heart:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    That person is a moron. I met my fiance online. We talked for two weeks, met up in person, started dating, got engaged and then I moved in with him because if I didn't, I would have been homeless, but also because I love him. Nowadays, A LOT of relationships start online. The majority of my relationships before my fiance started online and went from there.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    just tell people you met in a strip club, or at a swingers bar, and when they look horrified say oh not really...we met on a dating site, its so much better than picking up strangers is a bar don't you think?
    Very funny. Should work.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I met my current boyfriend online but I lie about it to my parents because I think my mom would flip. I'm not embarrassed about it though.
    I would not have met him any other way so I'm SO THANKFUL for zoosk.com, without it I would not have met my soul mate :blushing:
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    I fell for a girl on here :ohwell:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I was on Myspace to take bathroom fish face pictures and update my top friends every hour. My husband was on there looking for a Myspace jump-off. Seven years later we are married with two kids. He thought he was going to hook-up but ended up with a wife. Har-har I won!
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with dating online as long as you are careful! My first experience with dating a guy online was not the greatest relationship but we did date for a year and a half, and it's not so much the dating site as it was just his lying and cheating towards the end... my second relationship was with a guy I met on facebook and he was and is perfect. We dated for 10 months before he proposed, and were engaged for 1 week shy of a year and we have now been married for a little over 7 months. We would not have met if it wasn't for facebook b/c we went to the same college for almost 2 years and never met, by the time we started talking online he had just transferred to a school 3 hours away. It's all in God's hands and he will use any means to getyou with the person he has for you! I for one and thankful for online dating!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I met my guy online too. There is NOTHING wrong with it. He lives one town over from me. We are both working professionals and wouldn't have met otherwise as neither of us are into the bar or clubs scene.

Don't let anyone tell you different sweetie. As long as you're happy is all that matters.
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Moved from VA to NC, joined Match, met my wife within the first month. We talked for several weeks, dated for a few months, got engaged and married after being together just over a year. Together almost 10 years now and married almost 9. 2 awesome kids. If it works for you, do it and don't be ashamed. Without the net I would have missed out on the best 10 years of my life.
  • kumanekochan
    kumanekochan Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I met my current husband online and we've been together for 5 years now. We're proud of how we met because of our live story and how we overcame everything. If you trust this person to move in with them, it doesn't matter how you met them. Just because you met online or off line doesn't mean you know them any better. I'd say ignore this very rude person as they are just living in the past.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I met my girl online and have a wonderful son together!:drinker:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Met my husband of 10 years online, the details are awkward (read: text based gaming!) Try explaining to the guy who is interviewing you for your pending nuptials how you and your boyfriend met via online gaming, then in person, then how YOU moved 3000 miles east to live with him in a foreign country for 4 years before getting married. The plane tickets were cheaper than the phone bills we had run up. Think 1500 USD in one month - ouch!

An old friend of mine met someone on a chatroom, he came to live with her, they got married almost immediately and within 5 years were divorced.

Moral? Dating online is a lot like dating in person. It either works, or it doesn't. If you think this guy is stand up, and youve met a few times already? (I should hope, with only a 20 minute drive between you...) then go for it. Its been 6 months, living together makes sense to me if thats what you two are ready for.

Good luck!
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on line and we have been dating for 4 1/2 months now. I have no problem telling people how we met. Both our friends know how we met and are very happy for us. We have started takling about moving in together and we are looking at the summer time to do this. There is nothing wrong with meeting people on line. I don't go to bars/clubs so on line was an easy way for me to meet guys.