Online Relationships...

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I met my SO through twitter technically. Our paths may have eventually crossed but online made it easier to meet someone with common interests. We've been together for over 2 years and moved in together after about 9 months.

The guys I met in real life that wanted to date me were creeps, most of them married.

It's a crap shoot online as it is in real life. You just have to weed through the bad to find the good. And random people at restaurants need to mind their own damn business.
  • NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    I met my boyfriend online and we have been together for 2.5 years. I wasn't even looking for anything and happened to comment on his taste of music and that was it. I used to cover up how we met since a few people think its weird, however now we don't care.

It is so common these days plus you get to know them before you meet them and have stuff to talk about, at least thats what I thought. I don't even think about it now, really. If someone has something negative to say well then thats up to them!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's entirely outside the realm of possibility to meet a nice, normal, well-adjusted individual via an online dating site. However, you do have to be more careful. When meeting someone online, they can tell you just about anything and you have virtually no way of verifying that information short of hiring a P.I. to check them out, but who can afford that. I have tried the online dating thing several times, but it didn't work out for me. Needless to say, I am a skeptic when it comes to online dating...but to each his/her own.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You can connect to people online. Yes, it is best if you meet and date in person. Because then you begin to realize what type of person they really are. But if you met him online and began to date, then thats the same thing as meeting a person you dont know off the street. Don't worry about what people say because they aren't going to be the one's that are in the relationship. If you are happy and he treats you well, then you have no worries.
  • VeganVamp
    Options
    There are genuine people that are members of online dating sites, and then there are the weird ones ..

I always seem to get lumbered with the weird ones, so I don't bother anymore lol
  • ambascom
    Options
    I met my boyfriend of three and a half years online (eharmony). We are still long distance and probably will be for a while as he is in grad school and I'm working to save money to move one day. There is a stigma of online relationships and the more traditional people HATE online relationships. When I first met his parents, they came up with this elaborate story of how we met to tell his extended family. Only, they kind of forgot to inform me of this and when his aunt asked me how I liked the teachers at this particular university, I said I didn't go there and I got the strangest look. So, that was an interesting day. Most of the time, though, people have stopped asking us how we met. If someone does ask me, I will tell the truth because I'm not ashamed.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My bf and I have been together for almost 2 years and we met online... we met on Plenty of Fish for gawd sake and people make fun of that site ALL THE TIME!

People ask how we met, I tell them "We met swimming in an online pond of wackos!" and it's true :)

My current roommate and I met on lavalife... he's a cool guy and we ended up being friends - it's going on 8 years we've known each other. So screw other people!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I met my current GF on Match.Com and I have zero regrets about it. She is amazing and if I can just get over my hang-ups with women it would be just that much better. We've been dating for a little over two-months now but I feel like we've known each other a lot longer.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I met my girlfriend online (OKCupid FTW!) and we are ridiculously happy together and have been head over heels for the last 6 months and are making serious long term plans. I think it's more about the person you meet and less about where you met them.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think too many people think of you "meeting on line" and don't make the connection that you don't have an "on-line" relationship. You met on line. You've met plenty in person since then and come to know the person. It's no better or worse than meeting at a bar, at the gym, or on the beach. You know nothing about a person you're starting to date in any situation unless you've been introduced by friends or family (and even those can be bad situations). There's absolutely no stigma to meeting on line as long as you have an in-real-life relationship subsequent to the meeting.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'll take this to the next level. I met my current fiance while we both played World of Warcraft, we were great friends on the game. We found out we lived about 3 hours from each other (apparently being in the same state was enough for us), he came up to visit, and well... he kind of never left. 4 years later, and we obviously have ups and downs, but he didn't rob me blind. He obviously didn't kill me.

Do I tell people about it? I don't broadcast it to the world, but when people ask how we met, I tell them we played video games together forever online, most people think it's kind of cute. Ignore the haters, lots of people meet online these days, and while there is a distinction between 'real life' friends and 'online' friends, well, its fast disappearing. I mean when you text, e-mail, talk on the phone with someone, well you do the same stuff with friends who just don't live close by!
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Met my wife on AOL Chat in March 2003. People don't like how you met? Screw 'em.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think online dating is great. It has a bad rep, but if you're smart and cautious about it, it can be wonderful! I probably wouldn't move in with someone as quickly as 6 months (that has nothing to do with meeting someone online) but to each their own!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've been with my now fiance for 2.5 years and we met online. We haven't really told anyone we met online. My parents/his parents all know but we don't typically broadcast it. We agree that it was a little risky and probably not the smartest to date online at our ages, but neither of us regret it.
    We're very much in love and get along great. I've always thought that when you meet online the only thing you see first/fall in love with first is their personality. Of course I wouldn't recommend meeting up with someone without first seeing who they are just to be sure.
    I saw someone mention that most are missing that meeting online and dating online are different and that's true. I met for a date with my fiance three days after we met online and didn't begin our relationship until after hanging out and going on dates.
  • shelbz2684
    Options
    All the few guys I've date in my life I've met online. My first boyfriend I met on ICQ in high school and we were together for 3 1/2 years. Another one dated 6 mths, that was kind of a complicated one. And my current boyfriend I've met online, and we have been together for about 5 months and are extremely happy. I suppose it all depends on the person. First of all, that person should not have been in your personal conversation business between you and your friend. They probably met someone online and it didn't work out and they are leery about it and what not, or they are the person planning on being the one to rob whoever and such. You never know. As long as your happy, that's all that matters. :)

My current boyfriend the day we started talking online, he asked me if it would be too forward of him to ask me out, and i replied not at all, so we were deciding when I was free, I told him I was tonight (the day we started talking) so we met 30 min's away from us both at Ruby Tuesday and the rest is history. :) And what's even better, it turns out he only lives 15 min's from me and found out he went to school with my cousin and my family knows some of his family members. Small world! :)
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on line AND had an on line relationship for the first two years. We lived half a country apart. We've been together for 12 years now.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    The people at that other table are weird - this is what happens when you listen to random people. :)

I've only dated one person that I met "online" (BBS pre-Internet) - but I can't imagine that there would be any stigma (beyond some legitimate "be careful" comments) associated with it.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    After a horrible relationship I actively did online dating and had a blast! I may just be a lucky one, but I never had a bad date. I met guys that weren't for me - but seriously - not one bad date. In fact I'm still friends with a couple of them. You just have to be smart about it. Meet in a public place and drive yourself there. Make sure someone knows where you will be and what time you will be back. I met my husband online in 2006. We got married in 2008 and he is the best thing that's ever happened to me. We would have NEVER met if we hadn't met online.

I already wrote that my husband and I met online, but I should also add that I had a lot of THIS kind of experience, too. I went on a lot of dates, a few guys became truly good friends and still are, and a few introduced me to their friends who are now part of MY extended circle of good friends, even though the initial relationships didn't "take". I can say one of the relationships was almost 2 years long and very draining and I should have gotten out of it sooner. The fact that we met online had nothing to do with that. If we'd met in "real life" we still would have dated and it still would have ended.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match.com. Our first meeting was 2/28/09, I moved in with him 2 weeks later, we got engaged 3/28/09 and married 8/28/10. We have been together for almost 4 yrs now and couldn't be happier: On our first date a stranger told us we looked like an ad for eHarmony!!!!.
  • labgirl77
    labgirl77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always tell people never say never, because I was one that never felt safe meeting someone on-line till I met my boyfriend by accident on facebook..My friend put a post on facebook that myself and others were replying to a couple of years ago, and this guy kept responding back to me, saying how he liked how I talked etc..I was thinking dude, this is not a on-line dating sight..He later inboxed me and I realized that we had lots of mutual friends and family memebers...I finally gave in and started inboxing him back, later came texting then calls, then a couple months later we finally met...And 2 yrs later we are still together..So, to each is own... :)