Can letting yourself go ruin a relationship?

Options

Replies

• rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you met a guy and you were in great shape but once you snagged him you gave up the gym, out drank him on a regular basis and could down more wings than him and his buddies combined when you had been a "spinach salad, no croutons lemon wedges on the side and steamed broccoli and seared fish only" kinda girl then yes. It is false advertising, just as bad as someone leading you to believe they hold a high position in a hospital or law firm only to find out they are the janitor or maintaince man.
    If gaining weight comes over time then no it should not ruin the relationship.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    If you don't respect yourself enough to keep yourself in shape then you really have to hope that person loves you. I personally feel like with the issues I've had it has affected my relationship but because I have pushed him away.. I was never making time for myself and when I started to he had problems with it. So yes, letting yourself go can ruin a relationship, but it's not always the letting go part.

This. It's not always looking and feeling good, but the sexier attitude that comes with it that keeps interest.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. I was 116lbs 7 years ago. After pregnancy, I was around 170/180. I gained 80, 85 & 50 lbs with my pregnancies because I stuffed my face and barely moved. My husband still told me he was attracted to me but I had zero confidence. I have since lost a bunch of the weight and am around 126. I am working on building muscle and feel pretty confident.

My husband was 180 when we met. A few weeks ago he was 220 with a less than ideal body fat percentage. I was/am still attracted to him and honestly wasn't bothered by his weight gain as I felt he carried it well and did not strike me as obese or unhealthy. When we met he was 18 playing AAA Hockey and now he works a ridiculous schedule of 12 hour days mixed with nights, plus travel time, and he let his diet go. He is now 215, and we are working to get him closer to 200, plus a lot of lifting & cardio.

Both of us "let ourselves go" at one point or another. For us, it was not a deal breaker. Have I been encouraging him and making sure all his meals keep him within his caloric needs? Yes. I don't force anything upon him, but I will absolutely help where he wants me to.
  • louisel809
    Options
    i hate to say it but i think so, albeit physical attraction is not the biggest thing in a relationship but it is important. i would never end a relationship but i would certainly address it and would expect the same in return.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If it does, then it was not a healthy relationship. True love has nothing to do with the size of your girth. Yes, some sexual position are difficult, or impossible, if you are obese, but some positions can work no matter your size.

This is a fantasy.

Exactly.

If you want to believe it go ahead. Just realize most men will disagree and you are likely setting yourself up for eventual disappointment.
    So women are the only ones who "let themselves go"?

Men or women can either chose to love somebody enough to look past the sometimes inevitable aging of their partner, or chose to look for greener pastures. That's just the way it goes.

umm did I say anything like that? No, I did not.

And "letting yourself go" is not "inevitable aging". By definition, letting yourself go is preventable.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to do your best to look good for your partner. I know mine appreciates my efforts! And he married me when I was 60lb heavier...
    Once I started working on myself, he wanted to keep up with me and now we both have this interest in common. It's brought us closer. ;)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    It is pretty unrealistic to imagine that everyone will ignore changes in a relationship. Whether its shape or personality, it all adds up.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Can it? Yes. Does it always no.

Is your sex life better when you and your partner take care of yourselves?...Damn skippy it is. So take care of yourself, each other and have hot sex. The relationship is bound to work :)
  • celestinha
    celestinha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it can ruin a relationship for sure. I know if my partner let himself go, I would definitely not be as attracted to him or want to be as intimate with him because that's not what I find to be attractive. I know he feels the same as well, though he was still attracted to me 40 pounds ago so I'm not sure exactly to what extent I'd have to let myself go for him to find me unattractive. We've definitely had this conversation though, and we agree that letting ourselves go wouldn't do anything good whatsoever for our relationship.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you're in love, it won't matter too much. But, I think there's a point where the "letting themselves go" is symptomatic of something else.

I am an active person and I enjoy physical challenges, whether its running a half marathon, hiking, surfing, or whatever. If my partner decides to let herself go, she's going to likely not be able to keep up, and not enjoy physical pursuits, and we might have issues as a result of her not wanting to be physical.

So, it wouldn't mean anything superficial, necessarily, it's just that I want to go hiking, not sit on the couch eating donuts. So, our interests would start to lead in separate directions. And, it would get difficult for a while. Especially, as I said, if there truly is a love component.

If it kept up with no end in sight, likely the relationship would fall apart because we probably wouldn't be spending much time together.

I agree with this to some extent. My ex-fiancee was almost 400 pounds and while I definitely loved her, it frustrated me sometimes that I was always the one who wanted to go on a walk / to the pool / go downtown / whatever, and all she wanted to do was lay in bed and be on the computer. However, the reasons I left her had nothing to do with that, and if I'd been committed to her I would have tried harder to motivate her and lead by example.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Love shouldnt be based in appearance-but sex is.
    And when someone lets themself go with weight, it makes you wonder how else theyre slacking. Plus, its like saying, "well, now we're together. i can quit trying to be attractive now."
    Almost like they were always a slob, but put on a costume just to attract you.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of factors. As others have stated, the why can be very important. If the person is unhappy with themselves or the relationship/other person, then there could be an issue that cannot be resolved.

My boyfriend and I both gained weight after we met because of various factors. I got to a point where my current clothes were going to no longer fit. I made a change. He hasn't. I don't care that he hasn't made an effort to lose. Something as little as a few pounds that we both gained at the start of our relationship isn't going to make me end the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Do I want him to be healthy? Yes. He eats the same food as I do. I try to get him to go on walks when we can. He also supports me fully. He encourages me to workout on bad days. He buys healthy food. He always wants me to pick where to eat so that it fits in my goals. And I love him even more for being so supportive.

And I run. I do races alone because that is one of my hobbies outside our relationship. It gives me something to do when he's working nights and weekends.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Love shouldnt be based in appearance-but sex is.
    And when someone lets themself go with weight, it makes you wonder how else theyre slacking. Plus, its like saying, "well, now we're together. i can quit trying to be attractive now."
    Almost like they were always a slob, but put on a costume just to attract you.

So someone gaining weight makes them a slob? What if they got put on medication (such as an antidepressant/anti-anxiety pill, or hormone pills) that caused weight gain? What if they developed a medical condition or had to have surgery, and in the aftermath put on a few pounds? What if they were really stressed out at their job and began to eat a bad snack before bed every night, resulting in some weight gain?

I am not trying to pick on you personally because others have said very similar things, but my beef with the phrase "letting yourself go" is the "let" part. If you truly love someone, you'll understand that maybe the reason why they're "slacking" in personal appearance isn't something they're fine with, and isn't something that they can control on their own. What we should do in that situation is support them, not leave them because they're "letting themselves go". Unless the relationship isn't serious, I suppose, but if you leave at the first sign of "slob" behavior, you're going to have a hard time finding a truly comfortable and honest relationship.
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    My thoughts on this, for what they are worth, are these:

(1) If the "letting yourself go" is simply because you don't care about how you look, or your health....then yes, it would negatively affect things, I think. However, this isn't always the case. For instance, if two people are in shape prior to meeting one another, but only in shape because they spend hours in a gym every day and it was mid-summer. Then they meet and start spending a lot of time together, in the house watching movies, winter sets in and they get busy with work and kids, maybe an injury (who knows what could come into play), and before they know it because of their enjoyment of cooking big meals together and entertaining friends, etc.....next thing, they've both added 20-30 lbs (or even maybe just one of them). I don't see this as a "legitimate" (for purposes of this thread) reason for leaving the other or whatever.

However, if one or both meet the other then simply say "to hell with this health and fitness stuff, he/she better love me no matter what, I don't need to take care of myself like that anymore"...well, to me at least, this is a symptom of a much bigger issue and the relationship would likely end anyway, this may just speed it up a bit.

(2) There is also the mental aspect of it which I think is an even bigger issue. If one partner lets themself go, then slumps into a depression, starts refusing to go out and do things, etc and so forth........well then, BIG issue that I think negatively impacts relationships MUCH more than appearance.

Agreed. Especially the 2nd point.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I find that your partner follows what you do or you do them! If you are on a health kick, they will follow BUT if you eat unhealthy and never exercise, then so will they!
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Referring to the sex life part of things, I think this really only gets affected when either (1) stamina is cut down, but hey...age does that too (so I hear) ;) or, the bigger issue is when (2) the person's sense of self-confidence is so negatively impacted that they don't see themselves as "sexy" and hence won't let the other partner be intimate with them. THAT, I think, is a bigger issue than most would admit to.

Now, when it comes to letting yourself go to the point where it is causing physical problems, then at least myself, for one, would have a major issue with this. Now I'm not saying I'm one to speak or even that its fair that I would cast that stone. God knows over the years I've had times and relapses where I really let myself go, especially after the death of my first wife. She died of cancer, and was one of, if not THE, healthiest people I knew. She had no health issues, didn't smoke, hardly ever drank, led a pretty active life, etc. Then out of nowhere cancer hit her at 30, and she was dead at 31. I've said it to any woman since that I've gone on more than 2-3 dates with, that I refuse to be with somebody who would willingly put their own life and health at risk for something that is preventable like disease, etc.

Maybe that makes me a bad person, but losing one spouse almost killed me. I'm not willing to go through that again...at least not when it was because the person just "let it happen" and ignored all warnings out of sheer laziness or depression.

the Catch-22 here is that sometimes you have to find love FIRST to pull yourself out of that funk, that depression, that state of mind that you aren't "worth" it. I had put on about 70 lbs and lived in the bottom of a bottle for a few years when I started wanting to be more worthy of love again. At that point, after some hits and misses, and met my now fiancee. There was a stretch where we both let ourselves go for a while.....call it "comfort" weight. Now we are both making strides again and looking better by the day. However, it wasn't until we started talking and realizing that neither of us was comfortable with OURSELVES anymore, but neither had really noticed it much on the other.....and what things we DID notice on the other did not really matter to us.

I don't know where I was going with that, but there it is........ just thinking out loud I guess
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    When I and my husband got married, I was a skinny little thing weighing in at 120 lbs (which was much too thin at my height of 5 ft 7) Over 16 years and four pregnancies later my weight had increased to 190 lbs. My husband never once implied that I was less sexy or desirable because of it. He loved me, and that was it. Period.
    That being said, now I've lost 35 lbs, he can't keep his hands off me (which is great as far as I'm concerned, your libido DOES improve once you start losing weight) and I did ask him if he finds me more attractive. He said that he's always thought I'm beautiful, but now I like the way I look too and that is what makes me so "smokin' hot" right now. Confidence is sexy.
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    ....... He said that he's always thought I'm beautiful, but now I like the way I look too and that is what makes me so "smokin' hot" right now. Confidence is sexy.

THIS is exactly the way it should be, and the way I see it. Confidence is sexy. Some of the "sexiest" women I've ever known have been of all shapes and sizes.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I say yes, no, and it depends.

Let's ignore sudden medical conditions for a moment...
    I'm also going to assume "letting yourself go" relates to a 50lb gain or more... as the rest is just fluff to me.

Yes: often substantial weight gain happens because a person is turning toward food as a source of comfort, and also likely becoming very sedentary at the same time. If this is happening, then it could symbolize a withdrawing of that person from the couple. If you cannot seek comfort with your mate, this in itself can cause problems within the relationship. It may be a result of financial problems, or sexual intimacy issues... but either way it is often a sign of a fracture within the relationship. The increased weight can thereby add to the existing frustrations, because it may (emphasis on may) impact the attraction between the spouses in an already fractured relationship. Further more, if the couple was once active together, this may also result in less active time together.

No: To some people, letting yourself go is a few pounds here or there. Personally, I don't need someone in "perfect physical shape". I've never dated anyone with a six pack, or low body fat %. My ex was thin, and weighed less than me, but over time developed quite the belly. When we were good, that never bothered me, or impacted what little intimacy we had. I may worry if I "let myself go", the converse may be true, but in my opinion, I love the man... and that's all that counts to me.

It depends: in reality, I think it all depends on the circumstances... sometimes medical issues crop up - unplanned accidents, medical emergencies, sicknesses, etc. If the relationship is strong between the two people, then a bit of extra weight won't matter, nor should sudden paralysis, or a heart condition which prevents physical intimacy, etc.
    If the relationship is weak, fractured, or purely sexual, then yes - it'll be toast shortly there after.

I guess the question you have to ask is this:

"why are you in the relationship with this person?"
    - is it because they're hot and fun?
    - is it because you are a match in personality?
    - is it because of shared interests?
    - is it because of children?
    - is it because of outside pressures?

Ideally, it's more than just the first one... if you want any lasting value out of it.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Im not sure how much it has to do with positions.
    If you are no longer physicaly attracted to them due to losing or gaing weight then you are just not physicaly attracted to them, I think it is a matter of what you are into and if weight gain or loss is something you can lok past then great but keep in mind that in most cases it was your looks that attrated your partner to begin with.