If you drink or eat this....

Options

Replies

• kariannmbc
    Options
    This happens to me when I have anything with aspartame. it's headaches and dizziness, even with sugar free gum (aspartame is usually one of the first few ingredients), though I also get it with Splenda and other "fake" sweeteners too.

One sibling vomits after having aspartame, for another one it triggers migraines. Maybe it doesn't effect everyone --like dairy, some can eat it, some can't-- but in my family everyone is bothered by it to some extent.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I love how lot of you are trying to disprove something I found online with something you found online....hilarious...since when did snopes.com become certifiably 100% truth and never untruth..........look people, all I am saying is that it's bad for you just like a lot of other stuff out there is bad for us and that whether or not it makes you noticeably sick or not, it is good to know what you are putting in your body, good or bad...If you wanna drink it you go right ahead and do that....IM NOT. And if you wanna throw a hissy fit cause I put some information out there then thats fine to....I don't care. I am going to keep trying to better myself and inform myself and I welcome any information you may have on any subject...I will look in to it if I feel the need to and then make my own decision about it....I really don't see why some of you have to be so ugly...It really only reflects on you.

LOL, I know right?

Some people freak out if you dare mention their beloveds are bad for them, such as diet anything, alcohol or food laden with preservatives.

Simple fact of the matter is, I have yet to meet one person who gave up diet soda that did not have a good reaction from it. I lost a few lbs, and many friends stopped having migraines or just bad headaches period.

I can not fathom why it is so important for people to put a fake chemical into their body instead of a reasonable portion of the real thing.

And to those who are advocates of diet soda, would you give it to your baby? And if not, why not?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    all I am saying is that it's bad for you just like a lot of other stuff out there is bad for us and that whether or not it makes you noticeably sick or not,

And all we're saying is that we don't believe you.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Ive been telling this to my friends and family for so many years. It took some time for me to narrow down what was making me so sick and i finally figured its aspartame as well as other synthetic sugars. But aspartame is definitely the worst. Its straight up poison.

Im sorry that happened...Thanks for posting...I imagine you are about to get mocked and made fun etc for believing that this stuff is bad. Even when it happened to you...:( sorry
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Every morning = 1 equal in my coffee & Activia lite. Have a "sugar free" snack almost every evening, less so recently but it's cold so my typical chioces aren't as appealing right now as pop corn.

I have suffered from migraines all my life until I started using Chia seeds regularly
    My TOM has changed drastically since my lifestyle change but my cramps are just as bad as when I was over loading on sugar instead of having very little that contains aspartame
    Joint pain comes and goes depending on my workouts.... when I started I had constant pain thrugh most of my body all the time so that seems to be better...
    Still occasionally enjoy a diet soda.

I've lost 65lbs in 8 months, off diabetes and bp meds. While I believe these may be true and am not discrediting them at all, I merely say that as for me, my symptoms of those mentioned seem the same or better since my switch. Before I started my new lifestyle, I RARELY had anything that was sweetend "artificially". I truly believe these warning are for those people who are going from eating a box of ho-ho's with a case of Mt. Dew to substituting the ho-ho's for a "sugar free" version of the like and a diet soda... wherby intaking a high dose on a regular basis.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I can not fathom why it is so important for people to put a fake chemical into their body instead of a reasonable portion of the real thing.

I can not fathom why it is so important for people to tell me what choices to make, especially something that SCIENCE has deemed safe for me.

And as far as giving it to my kids, yes, all the time!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

And to those who are advocates of diet soda, would you give it to your baby? And if not, why not?

Oh c'mon!

I like beer too, I wouldn't give that to a baby. Doesn't make it poison.

Some of us don't like to cut things out of our diets that we enjoy if we don't have to. And saying that something is lethal, when it's not, is just fear mongering. Don't act like "I don't know why people are making a big deal of this."

It's the equivalent to yelling fire in a rather crowded theater. You're telling people that something the majority of us ingest on a regular basis can kill us. It's a big claim. Big claims need to be backed up and supported with evidence. Not just posted and followed up by "hey whatever man, your funeral."
  • brower47
    Options
    Ive been telling this to my friends and family for so many years. It took some time for me to narrow down what was making me so sick and i finally figured its aspartame as well as other synthetic sugars. But aspartame is definitely the worst. Its straight up poison.

Im sorry that happened...Thanks for posting...I imagine you are about to get mocked and made fun etc for believing that this stuff is bad. Even when it happened to you...:( sorry

She won't get mocked or made fun of. She had a personal experience and made a personal choice. If you came on here and said you've chosen to cut aspartamine from your diet, no one would have mocked you. But when you come in preachy and holier than thou/fear mongering attitude, people will ask you to get off your high horse. To each their own.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I love how lot of you are trying to disprove something I found online with something you found online....hilarious...since when did snopes.com become certifiably 100% truth and never untruth..........look people, all I am saying is that it's bad for you just like a lot of other stuff out there is bad for us and that whether or not it makes you noticeably sick or not, it is good to know what you are putting in your body, good or bad...If you wanna drink it you go right ahead and do that....IM NOT. And if you wanna throw a hissy fit cause I put some information out there then thats fine to....I don't care. I am going to keep trying to better myself and inform myself and I welcome any information you may have on any subject...I will look in to it if I feel the need to and then make my own decision about it....I really don't see why some of you have to be so ugly...It really only reflects on you.

LOL, I know right?

Some people freak out if you dare mention their beloveds are bad for them, such as diet anything, alcohol or food laden with preservatives.

Simple fact of the matter is, I have yet to meet one person who gave up diet soda that did not have a good reaction from it. I lost a few lbs, and many friends stopped having migraines or just bad headaches period.

Are you saying that you would give your baby regular soda?
  • runningfataway
    Options
    If man made it, don't eat it....

Ding ding ding.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh, and instead of using a scare-mongering story, this is probably a better version to put out there, though it is exceptionally biased.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/01/07/aspartame-disease-part-two.aspx

~disclaimer: If you don't want to use asparatame, don't use it. If it makes you feel bad, don't use it. I happen to like it and use it.~
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I read this somewhere else a while back. Very scary. I do use Splenda at home but I drink a lot of diet pop and I use drink mix packets in my water... I don't know what they use to sweeten those but it is probably aspartame or something similar : / I did good for a while staying away from that stuff but I slowly slipped back into it. They actually make a Diet Coke with Splenda and it's pretty good. I am going to get one of those pitchers that you put fruit in to flavor water!

Good idea. And yes it is Aspartame in diet sodas...and in diet foods like yogurt...I had bought some "fat free" yogurt once cause I wanted to save on calories and my son loves yogurt and wanted some for breakfast one day so I gave him some before we went to his grandmas...well he started crying half way there and threw up all over the car! It was bad. So we try not to buy anything that has aspartame in it...if the regular version is to many calories than I just don't buy it..we probably don't need to be eating it anyway....there are yogurts out there you can eat that are lower calorie but with out Aspartame to compensate.

This is actually a good acid test. If it's not good enough for my kid, it shouldn't be good enough for me right? I would never knowingly give my kid anything with any artificial sweeteners or anything that's usually fattening that says low fat on it because I suspect how they managed to make it that way. Why do I consider these tricky foods okay for myself? Time to have a meeting with myself.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Ding ding ding.

I suspect that this would make farmers the world round very unhappy.
  • brower47
    Options

Ding ding ding.

Nearly every food stuff you come across, including if you grow your own vegetables, has been modified by humans in some way. You'd have to go back to a hunter/gatherer lifestyle in order to avoid this. And I'm not talking about a paleo diet either, you'd have to go waaaay beyond even that.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I had a diet pop the other day. And right now I have a mild headache. Am I dying?

probably not...but it could be causing your headache....maybe, maybe not. Obviously you did not ingest enough to cause bad side effects or you have slowly been poisoning yourself for so long that you don't notice...maybe you could test the theory and keep a journal of when you drink it and what side effects you do or do not have....but if you like your soda and don't mind a headache or two then by all means keep doing what you like.

Wowza....I didn't drink a diet pop the other day or have a headache right now. I just being sarcastic.

I don't drink pop, but only because I don't like carbonation. As for slowly poisoning myself...I am currently smoking, so diet pop is like, childs-play to me. Carry on.

I am well aware that you were being sarcastic....but sarcasm does not ever help anything so I was ignoring it...sorry you missed that.

Haha. Nice. Irony's my favorite.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

Oh c'mon!

I like beer too, I wouldn't give that to a baby. Doesn't make it poison.

Some of us don't like to cut things out of our diets that we enjoy if we don't have to. And saying that something is lethal, when it's not, is just fear mongering. Don't act like "I don't know why people are making a big deal of this."

It's the equivalent to yelling fire in a rather crowded theater. You're telling people that something the majority of us ingest on a regular basis can kill us. It's a big claim. Big claims need to be backed up and supported with evidence. Not just posted and followed up by "hey whatever man, your funeral."

So please tell me, what are your reasons for not giving a baby diet soda? It is not illegal as beer is. I am sure I can find some type of study that says giving beer to a baby is good for it if I look hard enough.

As far as what the science says, whos science are you listening to?

Big claims I know of do not come from a report on the internet, they come from people I know in real life. Aspartame is a carcinogenic, period.

But like you said, hey it is your funeral. I have seen what eating clean and taking these things out of my diet has done first hand. I am 44 years old and look better now than I did when I was 37.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a carcinogenic, period

I can't compete with this level of ignorance, I'm out...
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

We're not throwing a hissy fit. You posted information, we're questioning it's validity. Isn't that what you're recommending people do in the first place?

No one is being ugly. But not everyone is going to agree with you. ESPECIALLY when you post skewed articles without the facts to back them up. YOU posted it. Take responsibility. We do not have to agree with you just to be nice.

no you do not have to agree with me to be nice and that is what i am asking from you....Sarcasm however is never intended to be "nice" and it is never helpful....if you don't see the sarcasm here then Im sorry..but its here....Im not super sensitive and I don't really care...I was just pointing out that there really is no reason for it. And you are right...I did post it...some one shared it with me and I read it and I looked up a little more about it and it supported things I already knew and I wanted to share it....you can find information to support or disprove just about anything you want online...I have read several things you all have posted and I still say that Im not going to drink it. I think it taste like crap and I still believe that it is not good for you....just cause they say it is SAFE does not make it good for you...at all.....in fact go look up how many bugs or what not can be in something and it still pass as SAFE. It might not kill me but I still don't like the idea....and while I will never be able to know or avoid all the things in life that are not safe or not good for me I can try my best. Really people use your own best judgement. That's all any of us can do. Thanks for your input.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I had a diet pop the other day. And right now I have a mild headache. Am I dying?

Yes...you are.

But the very interesting thing is...so is the person who never ate or drank or heard of aspartame.

Remember: Good health is simply the slowest rate at which you can die.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

LOL, I know right?

Are you saying that you would give your baby regular soda?

Nope, no soda period. This is a clean eating non GMO and organic household.