Afterlife: Is There Life After Death?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Actually, I do not know ONE knowledgeable Christian who believes that Mohammed "was a pretender to Christ". I often engage Muslims on Christian forums and will, just as often, ask the question, "If you believe He was a prophet, why don't you believe Him?" They never have an answer for that question. And the story of Mohammed is VERY FAR from the story of Jesus. If you could make that statement, you are ill-informed about the Christian faith AND Islam.

well maybe because the Koran and the Bible don't have the same stories and interpretations. It's weird that you assume that because Muslims don't believe Jesus is God that they don't believe his words. Even his words in our language can take different meaning. So much is left to interpretation. Maybe their silence indicated a sense of having been insulted by your loaded question, rather than an inability to prove you wrong.

Well, it would be interesting to see them try to disprove what Jesus plainly said in our New Testament (and for which, the Jews wanted to stone Him).

Your new testament isn't the same as the Koran. So why would they bother? It is as meaninful to them as their book is to you.

You understand this, right?

You are mistaken. Muslims accept both the Old and New Testaments (they came WELL before the Q'uran). Much of the Q'uran is a recapitulation of what they call "The Book" (just as they call Jews and Christians "People of the Book"). Muslims accept all three---Christians only accept two and Jews accept only the Tanakh. Only the New Testament teaches followers of Jesus to live in peace with all men of good will. Only one presents the fullness of truth.
  • runningfataway
    Options

Actually, I do not know ONE knowledgeable Christian who believes that Mohammed "was a pretender to Christ". I often engage Muslims on Christian forums and will, just as often, ask the question, "If you believe He was a prophet, why don't you believe Him?" They never have an answer for that question. And the story of Mohammed is VERY FAR from the story of Jesus. If you could make that statement, you are ill-informed about the Christian faith AND Islam.

Muhammad was most definitely NOT a pretender of Jesus. We believe that both Muhammad and Jesus were prophets. We respect all of the prophets. He left us with the holy Qur'an and the Sunnah (the teachings of Muhammad (pbuh), of course we're going to follow him. A prophet is someone who interprets and communicates the will of God. God has more power than all of the messengers combined, we both obey the one and only God.

Prophet Muhammad was the final messenger of Allah, and was sent to complete the mission of the previous Messengers (including Abraham, Moses, Jesus and others) of calling people to believing in God and following the guidance and teachings of God. We see Muhammad as the highest role model and aim to follow in his footsteps and Muhammad himself follows Allahs orders as well.

"Say (Oh Muhammad): ‘If you (truly) love Allah then follow me, so that Allah may love you and forgive your sins.’ And Allah is All-Forgiving, All-Compassionate." (3:31)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

well maybe because the Koran and the Bible don't have the same stories and interpretations. It's weird that you assume that because Muslims don't believe Jesus is God that they don't believe his words. Even his words in our language can take different meaning. So much is left to interpretation. Maybe their silence indicated a sense of having been insulted by your loaded question, rather than an inability to prove you wrong.

Well, it would be interesting to see them try to disprove what Jesus plainly said in our New Testament (and for which, the Jews wanted to stone Him).

Your new testament isn't the same as the Koran. So why would they bother? It is as meaninful to them as their book is to you.

You are mistaken. Muslims accept both the Old and New Testaments (they came WELL before the Q'uran). Much of the Q'uran is a recapitulation of what they call "The Book" (just as they call Jews and Christians "People of the Book"). Muslims accept all three---Christians only accept two and Jews accept only the Tanakh. Only the New Testament teaches followers of Jesus to live in peace with all men of good will. Only one presents the fullness of truth.

I invite you to pick up a Koran and read it before you say things that are not true.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Not even the BIBLE is written the same every time- hence the versions. King James, etc.

Here's a story I ask you to read and tell me where in the Bible you can find this story of Jesus, which exists in the Koran:

http://www.welcome-back.org/topic/jesus.htm
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I never said 'knowledgable Christian'. I am talking about run of the mill Sunday dosers who know little beyond what 'Preacha man' tells them, yet feel compelled to spread a word that they themselves do not fully understand.
    As for the statement about Jesus and Mohammed, I was being...nice. I've already been reported once from this thread, so I was trying to avoid saying anything that would get under the skin of the overly sensitive. What I actually meant was they are nearly identical in their level of ridiculousness, so far as the claims of their followers go.
    The Heaven's Gate people never witnessed the resurrection of their leader, nor did they claim it.

I never said they did. What I was getting at is that some people will believe anything, no matter how ridiculous it is. I can't recall from memory, so perhaps you can help me...exactly how many resurrections were mentioned in the Bible? I know there were at least a couple more than just Jesus. This would lead one to believe that resurrection was at least relatively common in those days. Funny how we don't see it anymore without the assistance of a pretty big shock. Oh, not to mention the whole 'brain damage that would occur if the heart were stopped for three days' thing.

There is resuscitation (such as that of Lazarus) and there is resurrection---two entirely different things. The first is that of a mortal who is "put back together" in mortal flesh, the second is immortal.
  • runningfataway
    Options

^ No, I think you're clearly mistaken. I suggest you go pick up a copy of the Qur'an and the Bible an re-educate yourself instead of passing around gibberish.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

^ No, I think you're clearly mistaken. I suggest you go pick up a copy of the Qur'an and the Bible an re-educate yourself instead of passing around gibberish.

hehe. did you see my comment above. I want to make a joke about all the christmas carols and little nativity sets got it wrong... sweet baby jesus wasn't born in a manger! No! He was born by a palm tree! Because the Koran and the Bible are like totally exactly the same!!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I will not debate this here. There are many Christian forums where I would engage this topic. I invite you to pick one and I would go there for debate. This is not the proper place for this discussion. Besides, it would likely be shut down before we got very far into debate.
  • runningfataway
    Options

hehe. did you see my comment above. I want to make a joke about all the christmas carols and little nativity sets got it wrong... sweet baby jesus wasn't born in a manger! No! He was born by a palm tree! Because the Koran and the Bible are like totally exactly the same!!!!

Oh mah lawwd lol :laugh:
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I will not debate this here. There are many Christian forums where I would engage this topic. I invite you to pick one and I would go there for debate. This is not the proper place for this discussion. Besides, it would likely be shut down before we got very far into debate.

she says after 15 pages.

Honey, God ain't gonna be mad at you if you just pick up a Koran and read a few pages to confirm whether or not it directly matches the bible up until after Jesus' resurection! He won't!

But just remember, it starts in the back and goes to the front.
    That's a common Koran Noob mistake.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

she says after 15 pages.

Honey, God ain't gonna be mad at you if you just pick up a Koran and read a few pages to confirm whether or not it directly matches the bible up until after Jesus' resurection! He won't!

But just remember, it starts in the back and goes to the front.
    That's a common Koran Noob mistake.

I will gladly debate unbelievers here. But I will not debate members of other religions here, for a number of reasons (which I won't go into). There are other forums much better suited to the subject of Christianity vs. Islam.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    How on earth does THAT work??
    Say a man cheated on his wife. She believes he did. He emphatically denies it. Eventually she believes him. Their marriage is fine. He then falls to a terminal illness. Right before he dies, he tells her he cheated.

Now do you think that telling her the truth made her feel good or worse about herself the rest of her life because he confessed at death?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    4824874_460s.jpg

/end
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    How on earth does THAT work??
    Say a man cheated on his wife. She believes he did. He emphatically denies it. Eventually she believes him. Their marriage is fine. He then falls to a terminal illness. Right before he dies, he tells her he cheated.

Now do you think that telling her the truth made her feel good or worse about herself the rest of her life because he confessed at death?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

*sigh* Your "analogy" is not at all a good one. You forget that these men were believing Jews who would be risking their eternal souls to insist on something that, if it wasn't true, would be blaspheming God in a terrible way. Yet, they all maintained the truth of it until their martyrdom.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    WE'RE ALL DEAD INSIDE.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Muhammad was most definitely NOT a pretender of Jesus. We believe that both Muhammad and Jesus were prophets. We respect all of the prophets. He left us with the holy Qur'an and the Sunnah (the teachings of Muhammad (pbuh), of course we're going to follow him. A prophet is someone who interprets and communicates the will of God. God has more power than all of the messengers combined, we both obey the one and only God.

Prophet Muhammad was the final messenger of Allah, and was sent to complete the mission of the previous Messengers (including Abraham, Moses, Jesus and others) of calling people to believing in God and following the guidance and teachings of God. We see Muhammad as the highest role model and aim to follow in his footsteps and Muhammad himself follows Allahs orders as well.

"Say (Oh Muhammad): ‘If you (truly) love Allah then follow me, so that Allah may love you and forgive your sins.’ And Allah is All-Forgiving, All-Compassionate." (3:31)

Now, here is my only real quarrel with Islam and the others: Muslims would expect all to accept Muhammad as a prophet of God (Allah), as he very clearly is a continuation (so to speak) of the prophets who came before him. Now, any 'logical' believer in any of the monotheisms would likely accept that no God would just drop one book and leave mankind to figure out the rest for themselves. As such, to me, Islam makes a bit more sense than Christianity, and Christianity a bit more than Judaism. However, my gripe comes in that all of them want to be the last word. Jews don't believe Christ is the messiah, Christians don't accept Muhammad as a prophet, and, well, quite frankly, I couldn't exactly see Islam being too welcoming of the next person who comes along claiming to be a prophet of God.

All of them accept that there is one God (and the same one at that), but they are all kinds of upset with each over the minor details, so to speak. Now, how is it that all of them can agree on the ONE thing that can't be proven, yet they jump all over each other over the earthly stuff that has at least some (however little) historical validity?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    That why this life is so important. We only get this one go around.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...All of them accept that there is one God (and the same one at that), but they are all kinds of upset with each over the minor details, so to speak..."

Mmm, not so minor. Has to do with the means of salvation. Christians believe that humans are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ and His substitutionary atonement for the sins they have committed in their lives. Period. Not so with any other religion. Salvation (conscious life after death) isn't even much of a concept for some of them.
  • We all can argue for or against Jesus Christ for eternity! To be honest, it won't matter what we say, but what we believe cause "at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those in Heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord...." Because God has given us the opportunity to believe in Him, by default, He has also given us the opportunity to not believe in Him and what His Son has done on the cross for His people. We all have the right to believe in the finished work of the cross and also the right to deny Him. The only difference is where we will spend in eternity:either with Jesus Christ because we took Him at His Word or without Jesus Christ because we refused to believe Him at His Word. The choice is ours to make and no one else. And, yes, I do believe in Heaven and Hell.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    "...All of them accept that there is one God (and the same one at that), but they are all kinds of upset with each over the minor details, so to speak..."

Mmm, not so minor. Has to do with the means of salvation. Christians believe that humans are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ." Period. Not so with any other religion. Salvation (conscious life after death) isn't even much of a concept for some of them.

This is very true, which makes the whole thing kind of shaky for me. Since it wasn't until the New Testament that any kind of 'life after death' was even brought up, what of the people who came and went before? In the Old Testament, it appears to me that if someone pissed God off, he pretty much struck them down in a fairly horrific way, and then cast a few nasties upon his family for a generation or five. Other than that, once the dirt was kicked over the grave, that was pretty much the end of it. It seems like the longer this story goes on, the more 'goodies' get added on at the end for those who follow the proper path.
This discussion has been closed.