Afterlife: Is There Life After Death?

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• myturningpoint
    Options
    Children have been told that they cannot read the Bible in public school

Really? When? I'm not even being a smart *kitten*. Even as an Agnostic, that pisses me off.

Now, are you saying they can't read it aloud (aka, preach) in school? If so, I'm fine with that. But if they aren't even allowed to possess and read it to themselves, that's just horse****.

I started a Bible club in school which was reluctantly approved. At the time I had documents from the Board of Ed supporting it. The administrators didn't like it even though similar clubs were started by students.

I was asked questions by a student in art class. At the other end of the table, some other students were talking about their nightlife fun. I was being asked about Christianity. Calm conversation - the other person was curious about what I had to say. The teacher told me that "you're not supposed to talk about God in school". Untrue.

Same school, I took a Mythology class. God was discussed, wow! So now it was okay, because this teacher was telling everyone that all religions are myths. This is a religious point of view, and I was allowed to express mine (I was the only one who did). But I was not allowed to do so in Art class.

There are some people in schools that respect students rights to express themselves, and there are some teachers or administrators, that if they do not like your view, they will try to silence you. Btw, I am not talking about disruption. I am talking about times where students are allowed to talk about what they want - but certain viewpoints or religions are singled out.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'd guess no, sadly. I think the whole concept of life after death is a little too supernatural to be reality. Then again, I think the whole concept of us being here in the first place is a little too supernatural to be reality. Yet, here we are.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    LOL.... no.... and most of the traditional myths of afterlife sound like horrible fates.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I started a Bible club in school which was reluctantly approved. At the time I had documents from the Board of Ed supporting it. The administrators didn't like it even though similar clubs were started by students.

I was asked questions by a student in art class. At the other end of the table, some other students were talking about their nightlife fun. I was being asked about Christianity. Calm conversation - the other person was curious about what I had to say. The teacher told me that "you're not supposed to talk about God in school". Untrue.

Same school, I took a Mythology class. God was discussed, wow! So now it was okay, because this teacher was telling everyone that all religions are myths. This is a religious point of view, and I was allowed to express mine (I was the only one who did). But I was not allowed to do so in Art class.

There are some people in schools that respect students rights to express themselves, and there are some teachers or administrators, that if they do not like your view, they will try to silence you. Btw, I am not talking about disruption. I am talking about times where students are allowed to talk about what they want - but certain viewpoints or religions are singled out.

To me, this is taking the separation of church and state thing a touch too far. If this rule were applied 'globally', members of various faiths wouldn't be able to discuss their beliefs on a bus, because the transit company receives public funding.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    yes, yes there is
  • myturningpoint
    Options

To me, this is taking the separation of church and state thing a touch too far. If this rule were applied 'globally', members of various faiths wouldn't be able to discuss their beliefs on a bus, because the transit company receives public funding.

It seemed to me that the Art teacher was threatened by my conversation (doesn't like God or what I was saying I guess- it wasn't even a confrontational part of religion like hell, but something more neutral). The mythology teacher, basically preached against the truth of any religion, but accepted my giving feedback on what I believed - even though it differed with his viewpoint(tolerant). It depends on the attitude of the school official present. and of course I am talking about non-debate-like, friendly conversations. I mean...debate is covered in freedom of speech for *students* (not teachers), but they that never came up. Just conversations during NON instructional time.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Judicial interpretation of this amendment in recent years has resulted in some rulings that I believe were never intended by Thomas Jefferson and the founding fathers.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Can't believe this is still here.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Can't believe this is still here.

Really? :laugh:
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    This song!

• jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,734 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I kind of hope so. But even when we die we may never know because life is so mysterious. What is life anyways? It blows my mind once I start thinking about it. Maybe there is life but it exists in some kind of dimension our minds can't perceive. We will never know for sure.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

On the whole, this debate has been quiet lively, and for a thread of ~2,000 posts, relatively tolerant and understanding, just a slight debate. I worry leaving it open any longer could lead it to stray into debates more about opinions about why or why not one ideology or religion or belief or philospophy is better or worse. The OP has an ample amount of varyng ideas, opinions, and generated a topic with a lot of different beliefs; which is fine. But just for the sake of keeping this post in that manner, I am going to lock the thread. If you want to continue this discussion or others like it, please utilize our groups feature, which is great for finding similar topics to discuss.

_Ben
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.