Just watched Forks Over Knives...

Options
So, I watched the documentary Forks over Knives, and now I'm seriously thinking about cutting out meat/dairy. I've tried no meat before, but I know I didn't eat correctly (way too many carbs, and lots of dairy). I was just wondering if anyone has seen this movie (it's on Netflix if you want to), and if anyone is on a veg/vegan diet? Also, what kind of recipes do you have that are high in protein?

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't let movies determine my dietary intake
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

QFT
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Oh yeah. More Bacon. Sometimes chicken with bacon
    Ok I'm sorry, I'll stop :flowerforyou:

In all seriousness, my sister-in-law is vegan, and while I don't have any recipes, I can tell you she does quite well eating raw, organic vegetables and fruits. You can get your protein from lentils, nuts, and some vegetables. I think there's a few groups on MFP for vegans, you'll probably get a lot more help there than in the general forum pool

G'luck!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i just watched epic meal time and now im thinking about eating bacon and drinking copious amounts of alcohol
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    This topic seems like it could be divisive......just sayin'
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i try not to let my netflix queue determine how i'm going to eat for the rest of my life. don't fall for the hype. you can lead a perfectly healthy life eating meat, dairy, and whatever else you want (well, maybe not poison). drastically changing your family's eating, cooking and shopping habits is a recipe for failure.

eatinganimals.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Topics that are only relevant to a select group of people are better suited for MyFitnessPal Groups than our public message boards.

Thanks!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    i try not to let my netflix queue determine how i'm going to eat for the rest of my life. don't fall for the hype. you can lead a perfectly healthy life eating meat, dairy, and whatever else you want (well, maybe not poison). drastically changing your family's eating, cooking and shopping habits is a recipe for failure.

eatinganimals.jpg

^^ This. I find a diet made up of a variety of animal species to be one the keystones to happy living.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEA!!!!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Can I have your meat? lol
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Can I have your meat? lol
    ;)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

QFT

QFT again because it needs to be.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i just watched epic meal time and now im thinking about eating bacon and drinking copious amounts of alcohol

^^ditto. Bacon weave.
  • amandarenae
    amandarenae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking the same thing. I watched that movie and the movie "Food Matters" and think a lot about cutting out dairy. I keep hearing so much evidence out there about how harmful it can be to your body. I also have an auto-immune disorder (rheumatoid arthritis) and have heard about people being cured by cutting out certain inflammatory foods. I think everyone is different and for some people dairy is just fine. I don't know why people get so bent out of shape though when others mention it. Nobody is going to take away your meat or cheese, settle down! Exploring the health benefits of multiple styles of eating is not a bad thing.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Be very careful just watching documentaries like these and taking them on face value.

They are not neutral investigations, they have a conclusion already and then show you want they want to fit that conclusion.

There are a lot of write-ups on the net showing the flaws in this movie (and it is a movie, not a documentary) if you use Google.

Here's one if you cant be bothered:

http://yourdoctorsorders.com/2012/05/forks-over-knives/

And another more well known one:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

You can pick holes in either side I guess, but Forks Over Knives is giving you one opinion and interpretation of data only. You should always see other interpretations and even research stuff yourself and learn rather than believe anything you see on tv or in the media.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Glad you're getting such useful advice, OP!

Don't let this crap bother you. There are a group of folks on this board who love to be divisive and rude just for the fun of it. It's pretty sad. However, there's a lot of good info in a recent thread called 'Why should I go Vegan?' - check it out. And glad you watched it. Quite a powerful documentary.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I watched that movie too. But MOVIES are just another way media tries to shake us and change our way of thinking and in this case eating. I'd research a bit more before cutting out the deliciousness of dairy (I'm already a vegetarian haha) it has so many benefits and is delicious!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I actually watched that yesterday. Interesting film, though not exactly new information. There is medical evidence that too much meat, especially red meat, can increase risk of disease. And the reversal of disease experienced by the study participants was impressive, but it's not as if the only change to their diet was the eilimination of meat. A control group that made the switch to a whole food plant based diet but also included meat would have been helpful to show how much of a role the elimination of meat played.