You Can Go To The Melting Pot!

Options
I recently saw that The Melting Pot has release a "skinny-dipping" food menu along with "skinny" drinks. The 3 course meal adds up to about 700 calories (not including skinny drinks), which is probably a splurge for a lot of people for one meal. I still think it is exciting that you wouldn't have to sit around and guess how many calories might be in your meal out, and then realize you're probably wrong because of all the extra crap restaurants put in their food. Also, if you're someone who has trouble boxing up half of your meal at a restaurant, you can eat everything and know what the damage is.

Enjoy!

Replies

• Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for this!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    sure you can go to the Melting Pot....but be prepared to spend $150 per couple.

We avoid that place like the plague. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be meat that's not factory farmed.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I recently saw that The Melting Pot has release a "skinny-dipping" food menu along with "skinny" drinks. The 3 course meal adds up to about 700 calories (not including skinny drinks), which is probably a splurge for a lot of people for one meal. I still think it is exciting that you wouldn't have to sit around and guess how many calories might be in your meal out, and then realize you're probably wrong because of all the extra crap restaurants put in their food. Also, if you're someone who has trouble boxing up half of your meal at a restaurant, you can eat everything and know what the damage is.

Enjoy!

Melting Pot is the worst meat and seafood in town. So when you say "no crap in their food" what do you mean exactly? It's a chain. It's factory farmed meat and seafood that's not sustainably caught. It's $150 for TWO PEOPLE TO HAVE DINNER. How is this even remotely a good idea? Just support a small family owned restaurant and a farm to table restaurant if you want to know where your food comes from.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My thoughts...

If I'm going to the melting pot means I'm celebrating something and therefore would probably just have a hiatus unmanaged meal and enjoy!
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My thoughts...

If I'm going to the melting pot means I'm celebrating something and therefore would probably just have a hiatus unmanaged meal and enjoy!

FACT
  • Onesnap
    Options
    My thoughts...

Yep. And for $150 I prefer to go to a local restaurant where I know that the meat and seafood is not crap.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Never heard of it. I live in Michigan. Probably for the best though, $150 is crazy for one meal!
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    :smile: I only go to Melting Pot for the cheese fondue and dessert fondue, and sometimes a salad in between. The meat course is defintely not worth the price, and it all ends up tasting the same. But the price for the other 2 or 3 courses isn't that bad, especially when it is an occasional thing. My friends and I like to go there at least once before Music Circus (summer theatre) every year. I'll be happy to try a skinny cheese and skinny dessert fondue!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I've always wanted to try it there. Obviously it's a big splurge but to each their own. Oh and for the person on their high horse, yes local's USUALLY better, but not always. Unless you're actually in the kitchen to every restaurant, don't judge! The OP was just giving a helpful suggestion for those who choose to go there.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's 1,000,000 calories, I'm GOING to the Melting Pot! I get a special booth and everything.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    So onesnap, you're saying you wouldn't go to TMP because it's expensive and the food is factory farmed? Just want to make sure I have that correct- you haven't been quite clear enough :wink:

I agree it's a lot of money to cook your own food- but thanks for sharing this information for those who do like to go!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Never heard of it. I live in Michigan. Probably for the best though, $150 is crazy for one meal!

Yes it is. And that was a few years ago. You go with two other couples and that's $150 + $150 + $150

Give me a gourmet farm-to-table restaurant any day. Support your local economy and not a chain for $150. Vote with your wallet.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    By crap I meant the sugar, fats, MSG, salt etc. that restaurants typically use in marinades/ prep. that most people do nto account for when they dine out. I was not referring to the meat itself, I understand that it is a chain restaurant and they do not use organic meat or abide by the farm to table concept. I was just throwing it out there that if people like going to that restaurant they are offering a lower CALORIE option, they did not post any other nutritional information. You can spend your $150 however you please.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    So onesnap, you're saying you wouldn't go to TMP because it's expensive and the food is factory farmed? Just want to make sure I have that correct- you haven't been quite clear enough :wink:

I agree it's a lot of money to cook your own food- but thanks for sharing this information for those who do like to go!!

Good question.

For me if I'm spending $150 it's going to be on sustainably caught seafood (I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean, so I love to support local fish mongers) and it's going to be local meat. So, for me $150 on factory farmed meat and seafood from who knows where (Asia?) (South America?) it's not worth it to me. Previously frozen seafood when I'm a half hour from the ocean is not worth my $150
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    700 calories is just a bit over the average meal, definitely not a splurge!

I love Melting Pot but considering the $$$ and fact that the nearest is an hour drive, I probably won't get a chance to take advantage of this deliciousness. :cry:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Fondue, wherever you have it isn't about cooking your own food. Fondue is an experience, the Melting Pot is an experience. Restaurant.com often has GCs for the meltingpots out there so you can get the price down a bit...

We've gone for our anniversary. A 3 hour experience with no pressure to eat and get out which you often get at the smaller restaurants that need to flip tables.

I haven't been in a few years but I think if I go back that I'll make reservations for a Saturday and have all my extra calories left from my long run so I don't have to stress about what I'm ordering.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    By crap I meant the sugar, fats, MSG, salt etc. that restaurants typically use in marinades/ prep. that most people do nto account for when they dine out. I was not referring to the meat itself, I understand that it is a chain restaurant and they do not use organic meat or abide by the farm to table concept. I was just throwing it out there that if people like going to that restaurant they are offering a lower CALORIE option, they did not post any other nutritional information. You can spend your $150 however you please.

Yes, but there's other low calorie drinks that are not pumped full of chemicals.

You can spend your $150 how you please.

In my case I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean. I'm not spending $150 on seafood that's shipped in frozen from places like Asia, South America etc. when the fishermen in my area need the $$. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be for a special occasion. If I spend $150 it's not going to be factory farmed meat and veggies.

Even Chipotle does not use factory farmed meat...and it sure as heck does not cost $150 (including drinks, that's where I got the $150 per couple for TMP)
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I'm also not saying that they are not using preservatives, salt, sugar, etc. in the lower calorie menu, I was simply saying the calories are counted for you so you don't have to worry that you are missing extras when logging.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's 1,000,000 calories, I'm GOING to the Melting Pot! I get a special booth and everything.

Come pick me up before you go!
  • Onesnap
    Options

Fondue, wherever you have it isn't about cooking your own food. Fondue is an experience, the Melting Pot is an experience. Restaurant.com often has GCs for the meltingpots out there so you can get the price down a bit...

We've gone for our anniversary. A 3 hour experience with no pressure to eat and get out which you often get at the smaller restaurants that need to flip tables.

I haven't been in a few years but I think if I go back that I'll make reservations for a Saturday and have all my extra calories left from my long run so I don't have to stress about what I'm ordering.

Fondue at home is much more fun and easy to log.

Me and my friends all had fun at the melting pot several times...but we agreed our $150 per couple was best spent at a small family owned restaurant and not a national chain.
This discussion has been closed.