You Can Go To The Melting Pot!

Options

Replies

• RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes every restaurant and that's ok, this post was intended for the folks out there who enjoy The Melting Pot.

I love the Melting Pot. Thanks for the info. Sorry that so many people are raining on your parade.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes every restaurant and that's ok, this post was intended for the folks out there who enjoy The Melting Pot.

actually, education is part of the reason why we're on MFP.

I'm just pointing out that if you value supporting your local economy and you have extra $$ go support something local. If you live near elk or buffalo farmer's support restaurants where that meat is served. If you live near a banana farm go to where those bananas are served. If you live near the ocean (as I do), don't go to a National Chain and get seafood that's shipped in from across the world (Melting Pot shrimp is not local).

We're recovering from the great recession. I agree splurges are important. We're all on here for a reason. I don't HATE the Melting Pot but in general if me and my friends have $100s to blow (and that's not often) we're going to support a small local family owned restaurant.

And for the record...the last time I went out with 3 other couples we DID eat dinner for 3 hours. We got to relax in a corner booth. We did spend $150. We did support a small local restaurant.

Just trying to get the word out there that there's a lot worse than the Melting Pot but why not take your splurge somewhere that supports the local economy.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the menu and I would be hard pressed to spend $75 for a meal there unless I was paying for over priced restaurant wine.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I love the Melting Pot. Thanks for the info. Sorry that so many people are raining on your parade.

We're not raining. We're just asking that you think twice before whipping out that credit card and supporting an establishment that sells factory farmed meat and seafood shipped in from across the world instead of using what is right there. National Chains should not really be the be all or end all splurge. Just use Yelp and support a small family owned restaurant.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I just looked at the menu and I would be hard pressed to spend $75 for a meal there unless I was paying for over priced restaurant wine.

The one near me is $150 per couple including wine (1/2 bottle per couple). I'm near Boston.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Thank you for the information! I have never been there but I do want to go. Nice to know this option.
  • aslteacher5
    aslteacher5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Well said!

which part? :smokin:
  • kmmcquay
    kmmcquay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They will charge us $45 if we split it plus if we decide to order two wine glasses (not ordering the bottle) - it would be around $60. @onesnap
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There is real food at the melting pot??? I mean I know there's a whole menu.. but.. i never look past 2 pages.. lol

If I'm going there.. i'm getting super yummy melted cheese and chocolate..

Isn't that the whole reason to go there..

mmmmmm the chocolate peanut butter is awesome..

grrr.. now I want fondue.. LOL
  • jflartner
    Options

We're not raining. We're just asking that you think twice before whipping out that credit card and supporting an establishment that sells factory farmed meat and seafood shipped in from across the world instead of using what is right there. National Chains should not really be the be all or end all splurge. Just use Yelp and support a small family owned restaurant.

My dad works in a "food factory" and my mom drives for a food shipping company. Why don't you want to support those them as well?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    They will charge us $45 if we split it plus if we decide to order two wine glasses (not ordering the bottle) - it would be around $60. @onesnap

Not in Boston. It's $150. Sorry. Every location is priced differently. Stuff is more expensive here. So, that's two glasses of wine per person, meal that is all of the parts (salad and dessert), plus the meat and seafood dipping.

$150.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the melting pot.
    I have two fondue pots and if I make fondue at home it costs next to nothing. If we're going to spend that much on one night out for dinner, we're prob going to go eat sushi.

Agreed. Sushi is a a better splurge and is also a lot of fun. I've never spent $150 for two at a sushi restaurant (the best sushi is in San Francisco IMHO).

You need to up your sushi tastes... I have spent that much at a sushi place.. and I can't even eat half of it. Of course.. where I used to get sushi the fish were swimming that morning.. makes a huge difference, in taste and price!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well said!

which part? :smokin:

I... don't think she was talking to you. :wink:
  • Onesnap
    Options

My dad works in a "food factory" and my mom drives for a food shipping company. Why don't you want to support those them as well?

Those sound like good, stable jobs in a rough economy.

To answer your question I prefer to buy local meat, seafood, and dairy when possible. I volunteer at a farm. I do support honorable jobs of course. But, factory farming is different than a food factory (think: making cereal near Buffalo in the General Mills plant versus the feed lots for pigs). And, food shipping companies are different. They are not the ones factory farming the animals and fishing from unsustainable sources.

So yes, to answer your question I DO SUPPORT YOUR PARENTS JOBS. Because they don't work in factory farming and for a fishing company fishing from unsustainable sources.

Don't mince my words. Food factory is not factory farming. And food shipping is not factory farming.
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

The one near me is $150 per couple including wine (1/2 bottle per couple). I'm near Boston.

You must still be buying overpriced wine judging by the prices on the menu for the Back Bay location.
  • Onesnap
    Options

um I don't hate the melting pot.

I hate skinny drinks.

If diet drinks and diet food really worked would be be a nation of obese people.

I never once said I hated the melting pot.

Don't put words in my mouth.
This discussion has been closed.