You Can Go To The Melting Pot!

Options

Replies

• coderedjulia
    Options
    Wow, there is a lot of bitter people on this thread. I don't go to chai resteraunts on a regular basis, but let people enjoy it if they go. Unless if you are eating celery every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner then you have no right to tell others what to eat. I'm sure every now and then you go out to a taco bell or eat a burger.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We get it onesnap, you prefer to get your meats/seafood from other sources and I understand that you are trying to educate everyone, but not everyone is going to agree with you, get over it, that's life. We also get that you live 1/2 hr from the ocean. I'm not trying to be mean, but you sound like you personally think you're better/smarter than anyone else on here. If you're going to troll and try to make people feel less about themselves, then find somewhere else to do it. The OP was just letting people know about a promotion that a certain restaurant was running. Let it go, you have said your piece and some people may take that information, and some may not. You've done what you can do, so back off. I think the information you have provided is interesting and something worth looking into. But you can also start your OWN thread about that information, not destroy this one.

This is what is wrong with America.

You all SAY you don't want GMO's and crap, but your support these chain restaurants and such that supports the Cargills, Monsantos, ADM, etc for factory farming of grains, vegetables, meats and sea food.

That is what she means by vote with your wallet. If you don't want these things, then don't support the companies that buy their food supply from these factory farmers and such.

I don't get where you are saying she is saying she is better than anyone else either. She is trying to EDUCATE YOU (general you, not you specifically).

The only things that Target or Wal-mart gets my money for these days is toilet paper and paper towels. Maybe some emergency coconut oil if I run out, but that is it.

You will not find Kraft, General Mills, Kelloggs, Nabsico, etc, etc, etc in my house what so ever. it was cleaned out and will never return again.

Nobody asked her to "educate" anyone. Repeatedly, she was asked to stop.

If I took a look at your ticker, I could determine you need EDUCATING but I don't go giving unsolicited advice, now do I?

Catching flies with vinegar is your MO and onesnap's.....but it doesn't work in the open forum. So keep your EDUCATION to yourself.

1. I mentor college students
    2. I teach children at a farm
    3. I work with dental students

I'm not going to stop trying to educate people. This country is in a lot of trouble. Have you seen King Corn? Have you read Eating Animals? What about Forks over Knives. Just like the forums on MFP these documentaries (or books) can be used to take little tidbits and apply them to your own life. That's all. Just take the tidbits.

And never stop learning.

Sorry if I came across as rude or repetitive. This country as a whole has a weight issue. It's impossible to eat a 100% Western Diet and not gain weight.

Check out the documentary on HBO (I think it's online now) called The Weight of the Nation.

It will make you cry.

Not trying to hit you all over the head. I just spend a lot of time teaching kids...sorry if I came across as rude. :flowerforyou:
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I think the REAL question is..do you even lift? :laugh: :wink: :laugh:

Let's stop the fighting..peace, love and s**t...
  • abrewer563
    Options
    OR, you could go to Fogo De Chao, spend the same amount of money and EAT ALL YOU CAN EAT MEAT!!!!

Going there for the first time on Saturday! I cannot wait!! My fiance is taking me as a graduation present :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Wow, there is a lot of bitter people on this thread. I don't go to chai resteraunts on a regular basis, but let people enjoy it if they go. Unless if you are eating celery every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner then you have no right to tell others what to eat. I'm sure every now and then you go out to a taco bell or eat a burger.

Of course! I would never tell someone else what to do! That was not the point.

For burgers I enjoy Met Burger Bar (so tasty) and instead of Taco Bell I prefer Chipotle since they support small family farms. So yes, of course I enjoy tasty treats.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Also.... I'm from Boston, and have been forced to go to the melting pot on occasion. I've never spent $150 there (even for two couples), so this is blatantly untrue.

Also, there are PLENTY of places in Boston you can spend $400 on a meal, and plenty you can spend $50 on. Money and the fact that we are from Boston is irrelevant. If you don't like it, don't go.

If you like fresh seafood and small business, go support one.

Not everyone comes to MFP to be educated about sustainable products until it's beaten into their skull. Some people simply want to learn how to count calories in their food better. Which the OP's post has accomplished.

The bolded part is why this country is so disease and inflammation ridden and as they keep stating the next generation will die younger than many previous generations.

You should care about your HEALTH first and foremost. Counting calories just to fit particular foods in your arbitrary numbers is ludicrious and goes against nature in every way.

Maybe it's because so many tried the low carb fad

Low carbohydrate, high fat diet increases C-reactive protein during weight loss

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/2/163.full.pdf
  • Onesnap
    Options

Farm to table is BS, terribly unhealthy

http://paulmartinsamericanbistro.com/americangrill/

Keep your tinfoil hat wrapped tight

Unhealthy how? I did not miss a day of work for a sick day last year and I've never been overweight.

How is eating from farm-to-table unhealthy?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to eat a 100% Western Diet and not gain weight.

False.

I eat a western diet. I am at goal weight and have been for two years.

Just because a documentary tells you something, and even if they maintain a straight face while saying it, it doesn't make it true.
  • karenragusa
    Options
    if you are going to feel guilty about eating it, then don't .the emotions you feel could trigger the release of cortisol ( a stress hormone) causing you to gain weight..

SO EAT IT AND ENJOY HEY MAYBE DO AN EXTRA HOUR ON THE TREADMILL.:)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hello, mods? Are you there? I'm pretty sure this a "divisive" thread, has had "attacks/insulting other users", and "hijacking."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Unhealthy how? I did not miss a day of work for a sick day last year and I've never been overweight.

Read what I quoted, someone stated no food from a chain restaurant is healthy, therefore that farm to table chain must serve unhealthy food
  • Onesnap
    Options
    It's impossible to eat a 100% Western Diet and not gain weight.

False.

I eat a western diet. I am at goal weight and have been for two years.

Just because a documentary tells you something, and even if they maintain a straight face while saying it, it doesn't make it true.

Hence the word tidbit.

Are you sure you eat 100% Western?

Do you eat things like sushi, Greek salad, rice, beans?

I said watch a documentary or read a book and take out some tidbits. I did not say "bow down to the glory that is Forks over Knives"
  • Onesnap
    Options

Read what I quoted, someone stated no food from a chain restaurant is healthy, therefore that farm to table chain must serve unhealthy food

ahhhh.
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    SWEET!!! Thanks!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You should have seen the one last week when someone brought up Chick-fil-a, and all the people who are against the owners religous/political views came out in droves....talk about getting off track!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    That's just not true. I can go to Ruth's Chris and get a beautiful meal and that's a chain. All chains are not created equally.
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

The thing that OneSnap is trying to convey is that these chain restaurants are NOT healthy no matter what. I don't care if they have a 500 calorie menu or whatever.

Food from chain restaurants is NOT healthy for us no matter what they try to market it as.

*kitten* marketed as flowers is still *kitten*.

Ruth Chris is still *kitten* in disguise.

Really? You call CORN fed beef a beautiful meal???????????? Anything corn fed is FACTORY farmed, NO THANKS. GROSS

You have never had grass fed steaks before have you? Obviously not.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Hello, mods? Are you there? I'm pretty sure this a "divisive" thread, has had "attacks/insulting other users", and "hijacking."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA.
    *dances*

THANK YOU, LOVE.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    You mean I couldn't go before and just make better menu choices? *gasp* Why does a suddenly lower calorie menu open an option that wasn't there before?
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many posts this thread would actually have if onesnap wasn't on it?:laugh:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    That's just not true. I can go to Ruth's Chris and get a beautiful meal and that's a chain. All chains are not created equally.
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

The thing that OneSnap is trying to convey is that these chain restaurants are NOT healthy no matter what. I don't care if they have a 500 calorie menu or whatever.

Food from chain restaurants is NOT healthy for us no matter what they try to market it as.

*kitten* marketed as flowers is still *kitten*.

Ruth Chris is still *kitten* in disguise.

Really? You call CORN fed beef a beautiful meal???????????? Anything corn fed is FACTORY farmed, NO THANKS. GROSS

You have never had grass fed steaks before have you? Obviously not.

Ooo....ooo...ooo...I have had grass fed steaks and I have even picked up my beef at the farm. Ruth Chris is still tasty and delicious.
This discussion has been closed.