You Can Go To The Melting Pot!

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We go to the melting pot and just get dessert and a glass of wine.... its about $30 a couple. Its fun to indulge and be romantic with my husband.... keeps us young and married.

That is fun. I agree!
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    I've heard of this resteraunt, never been there. Not sure if there is one in Houston. Is it an upscale resteraunt? I do like fondue...lol
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We go to the melting pot and just get dessert and a glass of wine.... its about $30 a couple. Its fun to indulge and be romantic with my husband.... keeps us young and married.

LOVE THIS! :heart:
    ......and I think we will do this too (not my hubby yet tho :wink: )
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Now if only i can talk my boyfriend into taking me! He refuses to go because "fondue is stupid"

I think men get together and decide this as a group.. Most men I know don't want to go, my guy included.. he's not big on choclate (I almost fainted when he said that LOL ).. Of course cheese and chocolate is primarily a "that time of the month" women thing right?? well acording to him.. LOL. I do agree though that if I wanted to cook my own food, i'd do it in my kitchen. lol
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You think OUR panties are in a bunch over The Melting Pot? LOL

Well people have really jumped all over me.

There were quite a few that agreed though.

In general this conversation has been just strange....I mean in a ****ty economy people are getting excited about cooking their own food? I don't understand it.

I've found the level of just plain rudeness to be really out of control. 3 years ago on this site there was far less rudeness.

I haven't read the whole thing and I probably should but my general rules always applies in life- ignore the rudeness. I'm sorry you had to go thru people being mean. :frown:

Read the whole thread and then get back to us. The rudeness was coming from OneSnap and then she got offended when people commented on her rampant and repeated posting of the same information. It bordered on spam.

Sorry. I was not intending to be rude. Just something I'm passionate about. I work on a farm so I tend to get easily...fired up. When it comes to chain restaurants and people mistaking chain food for real food. Not trying to insult anyone's choices.

We all work hard for a living. Not trying to offend anyone, so I'm sorry if I angered anyone on here. It just felt like no one was actually understanding what I was trying to say. I'm biased because I work on a farm. That's all.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    We get it onesnap, you prefer to get your meats/seafood from other sources and I understand that you are trying to educate everyone, but not everyone is going to agree with you, get over it, that's life. We also get that you live 1/2 hr from the ocean. I'm not trying to be mean, but you sound like you personally think you're better/smarter than anyone else on here. If you're going to troll and try to make people feel less about themselves, then find somewhere else to do it. The OP was just letting people know about a promotion that a certain restaurant was running. Let it go, you have said your piece and some people may take that information, and some may not. You've done what you can do, so back off. I think the information you have provided is interesting and something worth looking into. But you can also start your OWN thread about that information, not destroy this one.

This is what is wrong with America.

You all SAY you don't want GMO's and crap, but your support these chain restaurants and such that supports the Cargills, Monsantos, ADM, etc for factory farming of grains, vegetables, meats and sea food.

That is what she means by vote with your wallet. If you don't want these things, then don't support the companies that buy their food supply from these factory farmers and such.

I don't get where you are saying she is saying she is better than anyone else either. She is trying to EDUCATE YOU (general you, not you specifically).

The only things that Target or Wal-mart gets my money for these days is toilet paper and paper towels. Maybe some emergency coconut oil if I run out, but that is it.

You will not find Kraft, General Mills, Kelloggs, Nabsico, etc, etc, etc in my house what so ever. it was cleaned out and will never return again.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Now if only i can talk my boyfriend into taking me! He refuses to go because "fondue is stupid"

I think men get together and decide this as a group.. Most men I know don't want to go, my guy included.. he's not big on choclate (I almost fainted when he said that LOL ).. Of course cheese and chocolate is primarily a "that time of the month" women thing right?? well acording to him.. LOL. I do agree though that if I wanted to cook my own food, i'd do it in my kitchen. lol

My husband grew up loving fondue. My friends from place like Germany also love fondue (they grew up with it too). Maybe it depends on the culture? We have old family recipes written down and we treasure them--yep, fondue recipes have been passed down!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    We get it onesnap, you prefer to get your meats/seafood from other sources and I understand that you are trying to educate everyone, but not everyone is going to agree with you, get over it, that's life. We also get that you live 1/2 hr from the ocean. I'm not trying to be mean, but you sound like you personally think you're better/smarter than anyone else on here. If you're going to troll and try to make people feel less about themselves, then find somewhere else to do it. The OP was just letting people know about a promotion that a certain restaurant was running. Let it go, you have said your piece and some people may take that information, and some may not. You've done what you can do, so back off. I think the information you have provided is interesting and something worth looking into. But you can also start your OWN thread about that information, not destroy this one.

You all SAY you don't want GMO's and crap, but your support these chain restaurants and such that supports the Cargills, Monsantos, ADM, etc for factory farming of grains, vegetables, meats and sea food.

That is what she means by vote with your wallet. If you don't want these things, then don't support the companies that buy their food supply from these factory farmers and such.

I don't get where you are saying she is saying she is better than anyone else either. She is trying to EDUCATE YOU (general you, not you specifically).

The only things that Target or Wal-mart gets my money for these days is toilet paper and paper towels. Maybe some emergency coconut oil if I run out, but that is it.

You will not find Kraft, General Mills, Kelloggs, Nabsico, etc, etc, etc in my house what so ever. it was cleaned out and will never return again.

Yep. Not saying I'm better than anyone. If you think that, you clearly missed the point. I work on a farm so it's as topic I get fired up about. There's so few farmer's left in AMERICA it's not even listed as a job on the US census. It's all corporations now. And it's a topic I'm passionate about. Not better than anyone. For goodness' sake. I'm a good hearted person.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    local people work at the Melting Pot. At the very least, that is supporting the local economy. Its amazing to see a crusade against this business specifically. lol

Our household doesn't support any CHAIN restaurants. Very little of that money is filtered into the local economy.

There are plenty of people like the rest of you that support these places, I will gladly give my money to the local restaurant owner who buys his meat and produce locally and thinks enough of his customers to make desserts from scratch.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Monsanto has been invoked!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGxCiwMAIMebqqewwJ-geoSCxY21SJMRneJk-V_YkV6QWSlZQqZg
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    OR, you could go to Fogo De Chao, spend the same amount of money and EAT ALL YOU CAN EAT MEAT!!!!

I make a three hour drive to go here a couple of times a year. Then I drive back home that same day. Yes, I drive 6 hours total to go stuff ma face with all the yummy food.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Also.... I'm from Boston, and have been forced to go to the melting pot on occasion. I've never spent $150 there (even for two couples), so this is blatantly untrue.

Also, there are PLENTY of places in Boston you can spend $400 on a meal, and plenty you can spend $50 on. Money and the fact that we are from Boston is irrelevant. If you don't like it, don't go.

If you like fresh seafood and small business, go support one.

Not everyone comes to MFP to be educated about sustainable products until it's beaten into their skull. Some people simply want to learn how to count calories in their food better. Which the OP's post has accomplished.

The bolded part is why this country is so disease and inflammation ridden and as they keep stating the next generation will die younger than many previous generations.

You should care about your HEALTH first and foremost. Counting calories just to fit particular foods in your arbitrary numbers is ludicrious and goes against nature in every way.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    local people work at the Melting Pot. At the very least, that is supporting the local economy. Its amazing to see a crusade against this business specifically. lol

Our household doesn't support any CHAIN restaurants. Very little of that money is filtered into the local economy.

There are plenty of people like the rest of you that support these places, I will gladly give my money to the local restaurant owner who buys his meat and produce locally and thinks enough of his customers to make desserts from scratch.

Thank you. My state is going to start taxing an extra $200/month per person per month in income tax. Not a whole lot left to go out to dinner and I'd rather support a friend or family member's restaurant than a large corporation. :drinker:
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    OR, you could go to Fogo De Chao, spend the same amount of money and EAT ALL YOU CAN EAT MEAT!!!!

I make a three hour drive to go here a couple of times a year. Then I drive back home that same day. Yes, I drive 6 hours total to go stuff ma face with all the yummy food.

Yes! You do it because it's WORTH it. lol. I'm going there on Saturday and it's all I can think about..haha!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Nobody asked her to "educate" anyone. Repeatedly, she was asked to stop.

If I took a look at your ticker, I could determine you need EDUCATING but I don't go giving unsolicited advice, now do I?

Catching flies with vinegar is your MO and onesnap's.....but it doesn't work in the open forum. So keep your EDUCATION to yourself.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Also.... I'm from Boston, and have been forced to go to the melting pot on occasion. I've never spent $150 there (even for two couples), so this is blatantly untrue.

Also, there are PLENTY of places in Boston you can spend $400 on a meal, and plenty you can spend $50 on. Money and the fact that we are from Boston is irrelevant. If you don't like it, don't go.

Not everyone comes to MFP to be educated about sustainable products until it's beaten into their skull. Some people simply want to learn how to count calories in their food better. Which the OP's post has accomplished.

The bolded part is why this country is so disease and inflammation ridden and as they keep stating the next generation will die younger than many previous generations.

You should care about your HEALTH first and foremost. Counting calories just to fit particular foods in your arbitrary numbers is ludicrious and goes against nature in every way.

Amen. We're less sick in my house by being mostly local and mostly GMO free. It's not just that though--we have a lot of fun making meals together. We're not overweight. I just travel a lot for work and I've found MFP very helpful to stay on track weight-wise.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

The thing that OneSnap is trying to convey is that these chain restaurants are NOT healthy no matter what. I don't care if they have a 500 calorie menu or whatever.

Food from chain restaurants is NOT healthy for us no matter what they try to market it as.

*kitten* marketed as flowers is still *kitten*.

Farm to table is BS, terribly unhealthy

http://paulmartinsamericanbistro.com/americangrill/

Keep your tinfoil hat wrapped tight
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

You seem like a peach. My health is fine and I eat McDonald's weekly. I have a better cholesterol level than my doctor. I don't think anyone was saying that the Melting Pot was health food but the caloric levels of their meals are quite daunting and people were happy that they had "lighter" fare.

Hate to break it to you, but many of your small town restaurants get their food from Sysco.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

They are also franchises, so a local person is also owns each store.

Not a crusade against...geez. Clearly you missed my point. Just shop local if you can. If you love National Chains go for it. I don't know a single Melting Pot that supports the local fishermen and farmers.

Clearly you missed many other peoples points that they aren't concerned about local or what not in this instance...?

That the problem in this country will all the smart alleck attitudes and snarkiness.

You NEVER care and you all are allowing these companies and corporations to destroy our local farmers and the national (actually world wide) food supply.

For those of you that don't care about being sustainable, there will be one day in the near future when you will have wished you cared more.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I think you missed the point of my post. I DO care about my health first and foremost. I exercise 6times/week, eat mostly organic veggies/hormone free proteins, take vitamins, am looking to drop the extra weight, and a whole host of other things. Do I subscribe to the particular theory that only calories matter? No, I don't. However, my point (which was obviously missed) was that the OP started a thread in the hopes to educate others about a better eating option. I am totally OK/happy that onestep attempted to educate us all with her point of view, however, I don't think it needs to be beaten into people.

Everyone tries to do the best they can, both financially and healthwise. As long as this is true, I'd rather support people's efforts than tell them the "correct" way to eat and spend their money.
This discussion has been closed.