You Can Go To The Melting Pot!

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I go to The Melting Pot for drinks, salad, cheese fondue, and dessert fondue.

I am educated, I know it's expensive (we actually usually spend more than $150 when we go, but when we go, we aren't trying to be frugal), I enjoy it, it's a fun experience with friends/family, and nothing someone says is going to change that.

P.S. I will now be putting together a group to go out to The Melting Pot sometime in the next week. Thanks, onesnap. :flowerforyou:
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
  • abrewer563
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

Thanks to ONESNAP, I've never been more motivated to eat at a Melting Pot than I am right now. There's one just 2 miles from my house and I haven't been there in years!
    Making reservations today.

Thanks again ONESNAP.

Yep, agreed!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

Thanks to ONESNAP, I've never been more motivated to eat at a Melting Pot than I am right now. There's one just 2 miles from my house and I haven't been there in years!
    Making reservations today.

Thanks again ONESNAP.

I'm with you!

I may not get the whole dinner but chocolate fondue dessert at the bar sounds absolutely perfect! Who's coming with?
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Coupons people! Coupons!

I have never spent more than $100 there including tip unless we get wine. Desserts are usually free if you join their club.

I love the fact that my hubby and I can go there and have a few hours talking and relaxing without the kids and not feel rushed to get in and get out like at other chain restaurants.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I love The Melting Pot. I don't care that it's expensive or that I can make fondue at home. Now I want to go there!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

I'm with you!

I may not get the whole dinner but chocolate fondue dessert at the bar sounds absolutely perfect! Who's coming with?

I'm in!!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just had to share, a Melting Pot ad for free Melting Pot coupons popped up while I was reading these crazy posts....ha ha I didn't realize I was going to cause such a stir by sharing a post I saw on f-book.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Coupons people! Coupons!

I have never spent more than $100 there including tip unless we get wine. Desserts are usually free if you join their club.

I love the fact that my hubby and I can go there and have a few hours talking and relaxing without the kids and not feel rushed to get in and get out like at other chain restaurants.

The experience is what is worth paying for. Sitting still, eating and talking for more than a 20 minute quickie meal. Priceless.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I have a question for OneSnap. Being a Bostonian, where do you stand on Legal Seafood?

Also, having a foot in Maine, do you look down upon someone from, say, Pennsylvania purchasing Maine lobsters from their local grocery's seafood department?

Legals = "meh" Not everyone here likes it really.

Not really talking about the quality of food but rather from your support of local business stance.

Also, you skipped my question about Maine Lobsters.

I guess I should elaborate. My work used to do two dinners per year at Legal's. The management got all wonky and they started to force "extra" steak and lobster dinners on our attendees to take home (they had a quota for the room which was awkward for our attendees). They also made us buy two extra bottles of wine each and take them home. Again, awkward.

We spent $1000s there each year and after that occurred two to three times we took our business next door to an Italian place.

I missed your Lobster question but I do get them local, yes. I get them from a little market in town where the people get them that day (steamers too). There's also seafood CSAs where my friends get the seafood delivered each week from the fishermen. Sorry I missed your Lobster question.

SkipJacks used to be better than legals but the small seafood places (seafood shacks in particular--eat on picnic tables) are well loved by me and all of my friends. I don't have one friend or colleague that LOVES Legal Seafoods. Not because they are local--we used to love them. The management as of late has really been horrible (see example above)

You are still missing my point on both questions. Legal Seafood is a local business in Boston that has grown into a national chain. Do you begrudge them of this or are they still considered a local business?

With the Maine Lobsters, do you have a problem with someone from Pennsylvania buying a Maine lobster from their local grocery given that it is not a locally sourced food?
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Going there for Valentine's Day, and I'm sure my boyfriend wouldn't have picked it were it serving the "skinny" dips for the prix fixe menu, but it's good to know for the future! Can't wait to try it :)
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    At Rube's in Des Moines, you can grill your own food. Loved it!

Appetizer? All the thick-cut Wonder bread you want, with melted butter to brush on and toast.

rubes.jpg
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Noticing it's only til March, I just wanted to ad I hate when companies do that.
    Offer really great items, or things on the menu for a 'limited time'
    Maybe write them and ask them to keep it around?
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean...
    Lots of sand out there, eh? Makes sense.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Now if only i can talk my boyfriend into taking me! He refuses to go because "fondue is stupid"
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean...
    Lots of sand out there, eh? Makes sense.

:laugh:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Someone take away the soapbox before they fall off and hurt themself.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    sure you can go to the Melting Pot....but be prepared to spend $150 per couple.

We avoid that place like the plague. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be meat that's not factory farmed.

Yep, this.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Noticing it's only til March, I just wanted to ad I hate when companies do that.
    Offer really great items, or things on the menu for a 'limited time'
    Maybe write them and ask them to keep it around?

That is exactly what they want. It is test marketing wrapped in a "get it while it lasts" ad campaign.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. I live in Michigan. Probably for the best though, $150 is crazy for one meal!

Yes it is. And that was a few years ago. You go with two other couples and that's $150 + $150 + $150

Give me a gourmet farm-to-table restaurant any day. Support your local economy and not a chain for $150. Vote with your wallet.
    I go several times a year and I've never paid $150 a couple, $70 a couple is the standard usually, before tip and drinks.
This discussion has been closed.