Ex Got Daughter a Python. Freaking Out!! Advice Please!!

Options
Two nights ago, I got a phone call from my daughter saying guess what pet I just got to replace Steven? (Steven was her baby bearded dragon that died recently after only a few weeks of having him). She then told me that her dad bought her a baby bell python.

I immediately burst into tears. Ever since I was a little girl, I've been absolutely terrified of any & all snakes and both my ex-husband and my daughter are well aware of that. This is truly like a living nightmare for me to have a python around my daughter!! Right now it's just a baby and is apparently still quite small. However, I'm well aware of just how huge they can become. My daughter is 15 but I am still so afraid for her. She's not scared at all. Unlike me, she's never been afraid of snakes and she loves pretty much all animals including reptiles.

My first instinct was to contact my ex and ask him what the he** he's thinking getting a python as a pet when he has two children in the home (our 15 year old daughter as well as his 3 year old son). However, I still haven't said anything yet because I wanted to wait a day or so until I calmed down a little and figured out what to say to him. If I said something right away, I knew it would just turn into a huge argument. My mother says I should insist that he get rid of the snake. I wish it was that simple but unfortunately I don't think it is. I looked online and it actually is legal to keep them as a pet in our state. Also, my ex bought it through legal means from our local PetSmart store. So, he supposedly has a legal right to have it but what about the safety of the kids?? He already told my daughter that if I complained about it he'd just tell me that it's HIS pet and t have no right to make him get rid of it. My daughter isn't complaining or afraid of it so that doesn't help things as far as me being able to get it out of his house. I don't know what in the hell my ex-husband and his new wife are thinking!! Here I am pretty much a basket case worrying about our teenager. I can't even imagine how in the world they aren't worried about it with a 3 year old in the house!! The 3 year old is their child though, not mine so nothing I can really do about that since it's legal to own one in our state.

We have shared custody of our daughter so she's not over at his house every single day. However, she is over there quite a bit. Right now they are keeping it (supposedly in a special snake tank with locks) in her bedroom!! I just about had a heart attack when I heard that. I feel like I'm going to be an absolute nervous wreck every single time she goes over to his house, especially when she spends the night there. I've been bawling my eyes out about this for the past two nights. Someone please give me advice on the best way to handle this way my ex. My mom said that I should at the very least insist that he move the snake out of her bedroom and keep it downstairs & I definitely agree with that!! What should I say to him to express my concerns?? I'm so freaked out by this that every time I try to decide what to say to him, I can barely even think straight to gather my thoughts. I'm so upset about this that I feel like just saying wtf are you thinking, yelling at him, etc. but I know that's not going to help anything. Whether I get mad at him or ask him nicely to please get rid of the thing, chances are that either way he's going to insist on keeping it since he claims now that it's his pet.

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    1. Ball pythons don't get that big. They're one of the "smaller" snakes in the pet trade.

2. they're much hardier than bearded dragons and withstand captivity well, so your daughter won't likely suffer the same disappointment/heartache of losing a pet so soon after getting it.

3. Ball pythons are docile, non-venomous, and don't require a lot of attention or space compared to a lot of "exotic" pets

4. It's not fair to take your own insecurities/phobias out on your daughter. Plus, at 15, she's not a child; she can handle a baby snake.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Eeewww
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    What Paperver said. I would love to have a ball Python.

She is in no danger whatsoever. They are very docile, intelligent, and will make great bonds with their owners.

I'm jealous.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    It's not your house. You can't make the rules. Yes, I understand it's your daughter too, but this is something you need to work out with yourself.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    What Paperver said. I would love to have a ball Python.

She is in no danger whatsoever. They are very docile, intelligent, and will make great bonds with their owners.

I'm jealous.

I had a friend whose ball python slept in his bed every night, and sat by the window, watching the world like a cat during the day. I'm not sure what OP thinks will happen to her teenage daughter if she has a snake in her room. It won't give her herpes (herpetology pun, bad bad bad, smack me)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    1. Ball pythons don't get that big. They're one of the "smaller" snakes in the pet trade.

2. they're much hardier than bearded dragons and withstand captivity well, so your daughter won't likely suffer the same disappointment/heartache of losing a pet so soon after getting it.

3. Ball pythons are docile, non-venomous, and don't require a lot of attention or space compared to a lot of "exotic" pets

4. It's not fair to take your own insecurities/phobias out on your daughter. Plus, at 15, she's not a child; she can handle a baby snake.

This. I have had one before. They really are fantastic pets.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Add to list:

Ball pythons are passive, often afraid of their own prey, but they're often very sweet to their human owners.

It's not likely to do anything other than look pretty in its cage, eat a couple mice here and there, and enjoy warm hands when it cuddles your daughter.

If it's at her dad's house, why are you even freaking out? You'll never see it. And it teaches her responsibility.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I had Ball for several years. They're pretty easy, feed 'em, keep 'em warm, keep their enclosure clean. They typically aren't aggressive but they can bite and bring blood but are pretty harmless. The one I had was a little over three feet long and gentle. It's not under your roof, so I don't see you have much say in whether or not it stays or goes.

JM
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Two nights ago, I got a phone call from my daughter saying guess what pet I just got to replace Steven? (Steven was her baby bearded dragon that died recently after only a few weeks of having him). She then told me that her dad bought her a baby bell python.

I immediately burst into tears. Ever since I was a little girl, I've been absolutely terrified of any & all snakes and both my ex-husband and my daughter are well aware of that. This is truly like a living nightmare for me to have a python around my daughter!! Right now it's just a baby and is apparently still quite small. However, I'm well aware of just how huge they can become. My daughter is 15 but I am still so afraid for her. She's not scared at all. Unlike me, she's never been afraid of snakes and she loves pretty much all animals including reptiles.

My first instinct was to contact my ex and ask him what the he** he's thinking getting a python as a pet when he has two children in the home (our 15 year old daughter as well as his 3 year old son). However, I still haven't said anything yet because I wanted to wait a day or so until I calmed down a little and figured out what to say to him. If I said something right away, I knew it would just turn into a huge argument. My mother says I should insist that he get rid of the snake. I wish it was that simple but unfortunately I don't think it is. I looked online and it actually is legal to keep them as a pet in our state. Also, my ex bought it through legal means from our local PetSmart store. So, he supposedly has a legal right to have it but what about the safety of the kids?? He already told my daughter that if I complained about it he'd just tell me that it's HIS pet and t have no right to make him get rid of it. My daughter isn't complaining or afraid of it so that doesn't help things as far as me being able to get it out of his house. I don't know what in the hell my ex-husband and his new wife are thinking!! Here I am pretty much a basket case worrying about our teenager. I can't even imagine how in the world they aren't worried about it with a 3 year old in the house!! The 3 year old is their child though, not mine so nothing I can really do about that since it's legal to own one in our state.

We have shared custody of our daughter so she's not over at his house every single day. However, she is over there quite a bit. Right now they are keeping it (supposedly in a special snake tank with locks) in her bedroom!! I just about had a heart attack when I heard that. I feel like I'm going to be an absolute nervous wreck every single time she goes over to his house, especially when she spends the night there. I've been bawling my eyes out about this for the past two nights. Someone please give me advice on the best way to handle this way my ex. My mom said that I should at the very least insist that he move the snake out of her bedroom and keep it downstairs & I definitely agree with that!! What should I say to him to express my concerns?? I'm so freaked out by this that every time I try to decide what to say to him, I can barely even think straight to gather my thoughts. I'm so upset about this that I feel like just saying wtf are you thinking, yelling at him, etc. but I know that's not going to help anything. Whether I get mad at him or ask him nicely to please get rid of the thing, chances are that either way he's going to insist on keeping it since he claims now that it's his pet.

Do you think that he did think that he did this to hurt you? Either way, you said that he knows that you're afraid of snakes. It's his house, so there's nothing that you can do, so I wouldn't bring it up. You don't want him to think that he's getting to you. However, if HE brings it up, just let him know that you prefer that she not have it, but as long as she doesn't bring it to your home, you don't mind. Good luck.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    give him to me :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just read about this, and I think you may be overreacting just a teeny bit. She will be fine. It wouldn't be my first choice as a pet, but it actually looks much easier to care for than my dogs are.
  • smaldark
    smaldark Posts: 110
    Options
    Slice it up and put it on a salad.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

All of this. You probably have images of a monster Burmese Python in your head (we have them living wild here in Florida).

A ball is not going to get to be much more than 3-4 feet and is one of sweeties of the snake world.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just read about this, and I think you may be overreacting just a teeny bit. She will be fine. It wouldn't be my first choice as a pet, but it actually looks much easier to care for than my dogs are.

This. You'll be fine mama. They're small and harmless.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Flush it down the toilet and tell the kid it ran away.
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Slice it up and put it on a salad.

ewwwww.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

all of this.
    we have a full grown ball python (about 4 feet long) as well as rats and cats and kids. my girls are 5 and 6 and both hold Apollo regularly (with supervision of course, as all kids should be with pets). if your daughter is old enough to handle the responsibility of a pet, i dont see the issue.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Agreed...
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

• subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options

This, exactly. My biology teacher had a ball python that she kept in a cage at school. Nothing ever happened to any of her students, and we were even allowed to handle it if we wanted to (and were careful, obviously). I can't remember its name now, but it was a very gentle animal.