Ex Got Daughter a Python. Freaking Out!! Advice Please!!

Options

Replies

• DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have 5 1/2 foot ball python, I also have a 5 pound dog and other pets. I have had 3 years olds hold her, I would suggest reading up on them to make yourself feel more secure.

They are very timid, kind and nice pets, a dog is more likely to hurt then a python. I have had mine for 10 years and have had her since she was tiny tiny tiny. Never has bitten anyone, or harmed anything.

How many mice has it harmed??? LOL
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    HOWEVER and unfortanitly, since your daughter is 15 I sugjest you handle this in more of a passive way. you do not want the ex to use this to make you a common enemy. so play it smart. and just ask your daughter why she would want something that makes you feel this way, tell her you are so worried for her, but let her know you trust her judgment on this, although you wish she would yeld to your feeling if she doesn't she has your support. you very may be able to guilt her to not want to worry you like this.

Guilt-tripping is never a good thing. Your daughter will resent you for it if you do, because 1) we see through that crap and 2) it is just a more underhanded way of controlling someone.

Don't do it.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    I was really enjoying all the rational replies. And then
    Thats upsetting that their being so insensitive to you!

because you have joint legal you do have a say about a good deal of things that go on over there when they effect your daughter. if you want to force the issue then I sugjest you contact either a lawyer for a consultation or if you can't offord that a paralegal. if your in southern ca I know a good one who does free consultations.

Did you ever think that the husband getting a snake for his daughter MAYBE had nothing to do with the ex wife?

Yes. Hire a lawyer to sue your husband for getting a snake. The children will be thrilled and the courts have nothing better to do.

if you read the rest of my post you will see I sugjested she do somthing eles

FACT is she is the mother and has a right to what happens with her daughter, I work at my mothers paralegal beusness and see this every day, and yes a judge will listen to this and take into account all the facts. I belive I said the father MAY be acting like that to spit her,, given he knew her fear of snakes, I have a husband who deal with an ex who controls his kids, so I am not bais agains the dads at all, but she needs to know and feel that she has the right to what heppens in her daughters life

So you work at your mother's paralegal business, and you decided to start commenting on what the law is and what judges will consider in family court cases? I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that you need about 3 more years of education and bar exam.

Hey I didn't say what would happen in court, I just said she could go that way, and I brought up I work at a paralegal office to show I see this everyday, no need to get snippy mr

I'm simply stating a fact that you should be familiar with. If your state's bar rules are unfamiliar to you, then I suggest you start by reading them. And "working at your mom's paralegal business" hardly qualifies you as a subject matter expert. The type of behavior you are advocating gets attorneys in trouble with judges, and puts the legal profession in bad light to the general public.

OP (and anyone else reading this) - please speak to a qualified and reputable attorney if you have any questions about getting into a petty back and forth with your ex.

calm down! I never said I was an expert, I said I see this stuff cause I work in a parelegal office, I never even gave advice I said you CAN do this, a lot of why I know this also is cause my husband deal with this
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? A frekking snake? I dont care how big it gets or doesnt get!! Tell him that hes an idiot and that now hes bought it for her he can keep it at his house!! He shouldve consulted with you first after all its always us mums who end up looking after it, I would give him hell for that how dare he? Your a better woman than me Id have jumped in my car and tore round there to have it out with him after all if he can make a descission like that without consulting then what will he do next?? Thats so irresponsible of him. Damn Im so angry at him!

It is at his house and planned to stay at his house. She won't be looking after it, or probably ever even see it.
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

because you have joint legal you do have a say about a good deal of things that go on over there when they effect your daughter. if you want to force the issue then I sugjest you contact either a lawyer for a consultation or if you can't offord that a paralegal. if your in southern ca I know a good one who does free consultations.

Did you ever think that the husband getting a snake for his daughter MAYBE had nothing to do with the ex wife?

Yes. Hire a lawyer to sue your husband for getting a snake. The children will be thrilled and the courts have nothing better to do.

ahahahahaa i yi yi its just a snake lol
  • Bohohippy
    Options
    The snake must stay in one place, not be shipped back and forth. Don't worry, my partner has a snake and I'm fasinated by him, if he's in his tank, i wont hold him, how about just trying to watch him for a while, from a distance, you never have to hold him, you make sure it's your daughters responsibilty to feed the snake once a month or so and clean him out and handle him... that the tank is secure at all times and well who meets the vet fees? Find a decent reptile vet. You'll be okay, the snake won't bother you. xx
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    HOWEVER and unfortanitly, since your daughter is 15 I sugjest you handle this in more of a passive way. you do not want the ex to use this to make you a common enemy. so play it smart. and just ask your daughter why she would want something that makes you feel this way, tell her you are so worried for her, but let her know you trust her judgment on this, although you wish she would yeld to your feeling if she doesn't she has your support. you very may be able to guilt her to not want to worry you like this.

Guilt-tripping is never a good thing. Your daughter will resent you for it if you do, because 1) we see through that crap and 2) it is just a more underhanded way of controlling someone.

Don't do it.

I didn't mean for her to like stress the issue and cry over it, but instead take the high road express her fears, you know we have guil for a reason, it serves to make us better people
  • Blondie1984
    Options
    I have 5 1/2 foot ball python, I also have a 5 pound dog and other pets. I have had 3 years olds hold her, I would suggest reading up on them to make yourself feel more secure.

They are very timid, kind and nice pets, a dog is more likely to hurt then a python. I have had mine for 10 years and have had her since she was tiny tiny tiny. Never has bitten anyone, or harmed anything.

How many mice has it harmed??? LOL

How many mice lol......... welll... urgh...... lets just say she eats those every week lol
    How many chickens have you harmed! lol
  • kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    OHHH Its kept at his house?? sorry I didnt see that bit lol!! No leave it alone no point in worry about it if hes willing to take the responsibility, differant matter altogether that its at his house then no problem!!! Well actually is his problem ....
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

FACT is she is the mother and has a right to what happens with her daughter, I work at my mothers paralegal beusness and see this every day, and yes a judge will listen to this and take into account all the facts. I belive I said the father MAY be acting like that to spit her,, given he knew her fear of snakes, I have a husband who deal with an ex who controls his kids, so I am not bais agains the dads at all, but she needs to know and feel that she has the right to what heppens in her daughters life

So you work at your mother's paralegal business, and you decided to start commenting on what the law is and what judges will consider in family court cases? I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that you need about 3 more years of education and bar exam.

Hey I didn't say what would happen in court, I just said she could go that way, and I brought up I work at a paralegal office to show I see this everyday, no need to get snippy mr

I'm simply stating a fact that you should be familiar with. If your state's bar rules are unfamiliar to you, then I suggest you start by reading them. And "working at your mom's paralegal business" hardly qualifies you as a subject matter expert. The type of behavior you are advocating gets attorneys in trouble with judges, and puts the legal profession in bad light to the general public.

OP (and anyone else reading this) - please speak to a qualified and reputable attorney if you have any questions about getting into a petty back and forth with your ex.

calm down! I never said I was an expert, I said I see this stuff cause I work in a parelegal office, I never even gave advice I said you CAN do this, a lot of why I know this also is cause my husband deal with this

I am calm. And qualified. I've said what I have to say.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    There are some battles that are not worth fighting and this is one of them.

As long as she does not bring the snake to your house, it should be none of your concern.

Making more out of this than necessary is not going to do anyone any favors.

If you are allowing yourself to be obsessed with this, that is your problem, not theirs.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

I can't taking anyone seriously when they can't spell their own profession correctly....It totally voids any point trying to be made
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Um, as long as she takes care of the snake and makes sure he can't escape his enclosure, there's nothing to worry about. Just because you're scared of snakes, doesn't mean your daughter should lose her new pet, especially if she picked it out herself. How about researching ball pythons and understand what kind of care they need and how they behave, so then you can be more comfortable about the decision......
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Ball pythons are fine. Only two possible problems, both easily avoided.
    1. Salmonella. Keep the cage cleaned and wash the water dish often. Don't kiss the snake. Don't lick the snake. Wash hands after handling.
    2. Bites. NOT venomous but they can cause a scratch. This generally happens when the snake is fed in its cage. So, don't feed the snake in the cage. Feed (thawed) frozen rodents in a separate container. A 5-gallon bucket works well. Drill a few tiny holes in the top for ventilation. The top snaps on tight so there's no worry about escape. Put a warmed rodent in the bucket, add snake, wait 30 minutes.

For the snake's safety and to avoid cruelty, feed frozen rodents. It's safer for the snake because the rodent can't bite back and internal parasites are killed by freezing. Snakes can and do die from rodent bites. If anyone tells you the the snake "enjoys the thrill of the hunt" you can tell them they are an idiot. Snakes want to eat, get warm and mate. That's it. And tossing a mouse into the cage is no more "hunting" than the pathetic losers who are into canned hunts (buy a large animal that has probably been raised as a pet, put it in a cage and go out to a field somewhere, open the cage and let your dogs attack the terrified animal, then shoot it. Very manly.).
  • Blondie1984
    Options

I can't taking anyone seriously when they can't spell their own profession correctly....It totally voids any point trying to be made

*hint* Paralegal Office - I.E. - Lawyer's office lol. I dont know any offices ran by Paralegals......
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Ball pythons are fine. Only two possible problems, both easily avoided.
    1. Salmonella. Keep the cage cleaned and wash the water dish often. Don't kiss the snake. Don't lick the snake. Wash hands after handling.
    2. Bites. NOT venomous but they can cause a scratch. This generally happens when the snake is fed in its cage. So, don't feed the snake in the cage. Feed (thawed) frozen rodents in a separate container. A 5-gallon bucket works well. Drill a few tiny holes in the top for ventilation. The top snaps on tight so there's no worry about escape. Put a warmed rodent in the bucket, add snake, wait 30 minutes.

For the snake's safety and to avoid cruelty, feed frozen rodents. It's safer for the snake because the rodent can't bite back and internal parasites are killed by freezing. Snakes can and do die from rodent bites. If anyone tells you the the snake "enjoys the thrill of the hunt" you can tell them they are an idiot. Snakes want to eat, get warm and mate. That's it. And tossing a mouse into the cage is no more "hunting" than the pathetic losers who are into canned hunts (buy a large animal that has probably been raised as a pet, put it in a cage and go out to a field somewhere, open the cage and let your dogs attack the terrified animal, then shoot it. Very manly.).

"Do NOT lick the snake"

is very good advice for life
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I see no problem here.

2181336-21783-young-adorable-girl-with-pet-python-on-her-shoulders-isolated-on-white-background.jpg
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    your right a lot do that, I work in a paralegal office I see that a lot. but one thing you have to think about is that parents DO have rights over their children. how scary is it to feel like the safty of your kid is out of your control.

My sister used her joint legal to stop her ex from constently moving their son from school to school, she wanted his schooling to be more stable then that. so you see sometimes it is nessacary

my hubsand has three kids with his ex girl friend, we would never go out and get a pet she was terrified about and have thier kids play with it.

the kid wanting that pet is not more important then the mommas or the fathers feelings, you know?

its just not. I stated the frist part of my post letting her know she does have rights, cause that is important for parents to have that, then I told her its best to let her daughter make this choice so perhaps they will grow closer toghter

I disagree. I don't think the children should be deprived of enjoying a pet snake because her mother has an irrational fear. The snake is not dangerous to the children. At least no more so than a dog or cat.

I think she needs to grow up and let her children live their lives, not put her own fears on them.

A lot of people have irrational fears. Clowns, snakes, spiders, the dark... If a mother is afraid of clowns should an ex-husband be sued for taking his kids to the circus?

I think since you work in the legal field you have a bias that things should be settled by a judge. Myself, and many others, feel that the last thing a person should do is drag their ex and the kids into a courtroom every time they don't like something.

Quoted for truth!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    ok. relating to your fears:

I lived with a snake for two years (my ex had one) the thing never left it's cage and it was fun to watch. Just insist it stay in it's area. And revel in all the live mice eyes popping out during feeding time stories :)
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Don't do it.

I didn't mean for her to like stress the issue and cry over it, but instead take the high road express her fears, you know we have guil for a reason, it serves to make us better people

IF the mother can do this in a non-dramatic way (which given her OP, I somewhat doubt, at least until she cools down) then yes, express your fears. ONCE. Make sure you don't badger her with them, and LISTEN at least as much as you talk, because your daughter might have some good reasons for wanting a snake, even if you hate/ are afraid of snakes.

And for the record, I don't think guilt always makes us better people. If someone uses guilt as a way of controlling you (example "If you loved me, you wouldn't get a snake /move away/ etc"), that is not good.