Ex Got Daughter a Python. Freaking Out!! Advice Please!!

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I knew this was going to get lost in translation. I meant "sheeple" like people who act like sheep. You know. So instead of "NORMAL person" it's "BORING sheep"

I like sheep. They're pretty cool. Except when they die and get really bloated. Not cool.
    Ah, don't worry - I realised what you meant. But that anecdote came to mind as sheep and ordinary or not pets were being discussed :).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean ball python and they are quite small. It's not going to eat your 15 yr old daughter.
  • hutc9939
    Options
    You should chill out and maybe research the subject matter before jumping to conclusions. They are very docile animals and do not get very big.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean ball python and they are quite small. It's not going to eat your 15 yr old daughter.

Really?? They wont eat people??

Well shiiiit, I guess I better return this one to the pet store then.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    BBQ it. Snake is high in protein.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I wish your Ex gave ME his python
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I posted something mean here, I'm sorry
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OP things could be worse....my ex doesn't pay support, REFUSES to actually and unless they catch him randomly, there's little that can be done about the warrant he has for being in the rears.
    On top of that, I have to drop my daughter off and pick her up, and don't always get the gas money I'm supposed to be given then she usually reaks of cigarettes when I pick her up.

Now even though I hate her going over there b/c well, I can't stand him, I'm obligated to allow him one night a week
    I contacted the courts and unless I can provide proof of him being "unfit" there's not *kitten* they'll do, unless I wanna involve CPS

That being said, there are worse things than a docile pet snake

I miiiight be wrong, but if he refuses to pay support, doesn't that mean that he's not entitled to his one night a week anymore?
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: We need more posts like this on the forums
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    OP things could be worse....my ex doesn't pay support, REFUSES to actually and unless they catch him randomly, there's little that can be done about the warrant he has for being in the rears.
    On top of that, I have to drop my daughter off and pick her up, and don't always get the gas money I'm supposed to be given then she usually reaks of cigarettes when I pick her up.

Now even though I hate her going over there b/c well, I can't stand him, I'm obligated to allow him one night a week
    I contacted the courts and unless I can provide proof of him being "unfit" there's not *kitten* they'll do, unless I wanna involve CPS

That being said, there are worse things than a docile pet snake

I miiiight be wrong, but if he refuses to pay support, doesn't that mean that he's not entitled to his one night a week anymore?

Nope!
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    I will never understand why anyone would want a snake for a pet other than maybe to derive some kind of sick pleasure of watching them devour small animals. They don't do a damn thing except lay there all day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Fear of snakes seems to be an irrational but actually there is strong evidence that neurologically speaking they are programmed and possibly a genetically defined survival skill. Fascinating.

Anyhow, I was expecting to see some snake pictures.

snake-in-toilet.jpg

OP, I'm sorry, but you are going to have to deal - He's your ex - and while you can discuss it with him, the pet choice of an animal as safe as a ball python in his house isn't yours. I'm guessing it is a decision that is too late to reverse; he could have consulted you but isn't under any obligation - really depends on how well you two get along on the "common ground" of raising your daughter. Try to have an open discussion. Who knows.

Not taking bets.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    http://www.niftythings.org/images/Far Side - Crib Snake.png

Hmm image wont render. Never published Far Side comic. Snake's in a quandry after eating a baby
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Use it as a learning experience for you to try to work through this phobia. Snakes are usually kept in a cage. They do need to be taken out to clean the cage but will only act aggressive if they feel threatened. My daughter who was an expert also said that the one time you want to leave a snake alone if it is shedding. Their eyes will be clouded over and they can't see well. We have had several snakes in out home, taken snakes with us to shows with us to teach others what snakes really feel like
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Fear of snakes seems to be an irrational but actually there is strong evidence that neurologically speaking they are programmed and possibly a genetically defined survival skill. Fascinating.

Anyhow, I was expecting to see some snake pictures.

snake-in-toilet.jpg

OP, I'm sorry, but you are going to have to deal - He's your ex - and while you can discuss it with him, the pet choice of an animal as safe as a ball python in his house isn't yours. I'm guessing it is a decision that is too late to reverse; he could have consulted you but isn't under any obligation - really depends on how well you two get along on the "common ground" of raising your daughter. Try to have an open discussion. Who knows.

Not taking bets.

Great, now I am going to have an irrational fear of going to the bathroom in the dark! Thanks!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why anyone would want a snake for a pet other than maybe to derive some kind of sick pleasure of watching them devour small animals. They don't do a damn thing except lay there all day.
    At least with cats you don't see them kill the small animals ;).
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    another far side ..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD126da3v4_7gpRs7wSyYqrfTzQcafZiyb1qbAf8Jnh8Us1sA43g
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: We need more posts like this on the forums
    I try. I don't like being mean, but sometimes it happens
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Haven't read through all of this (8+ pages, say what?), but I did read the OP's post.
    And to the OP, I had a ball python when I was 10 and they are no big deal and take multiple YEARS to get up to a larger size, and even then Ball Pythons do not get up to the size that Burmese Pythons do. They are very slender creatures so it's not going to constrict your daughter and kill her, nor your son. At worst it might bite one and their bites are also no big deal thing and don't require stitches or anything. Just neosporin and a bandaid. If it were a more dangerous snake and decided to bite and constrict, you last resort bite its tail and it would most likely release the target. But really, ball pythons are rather passive. Mine used to curl up in my hand so I could place it on the top of my head to get snuggly. Hardly a dangerous monster.

Most likely (and rather unfortunately), the snake will die either from the poor conditions that pet stores raise them in, or your daughter won't know how to properly care for one. Which isn't necessarily a reflection on your daughter, Ball Pythons can be finicky with what they want to eat and that can lead to starvation.

Your daughter seems to be excited for the snake, so I'd suggest encouraging her to be responsible and take care of it, as they are detail-oriented pets. They are great quiet companions, and a companion that you yourself won't have to see!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    At least with cats you don't see them kill the small animals ;).

Really? My cats bring me the small animal, that is still alive, and say "Hey Mom watch this!" Sometimes they're large animals!