What do you do while you execise?

Options
While I workout on a treadmill I like to watch hulu or netflix. I got caught up on my shows like Scandal, Spiderman and others. This allow me to tune out how long I been on the treadmill. I can stay on the treadmill for an hour to a hour and half and burn 1000 plus calories. What do you do while you workout?

Replies

• unbeknownst
    unbeknownst Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What is your speed? I find that I can watch TV shows or movies only on the elliptical. I get too dizzy because I always run, not walk, on the treadmill. If you are seeing results while rapidly walking on a treadmill, please let me know!! This actually sounds fun. :D
  • jessnchris
    Options
    Thats awesome!! I actually do the same thing and I can stay on so much longer I watch the show Heroes it is great! I also listen to my mp3 player sometimes but I prefer to watch Netflix much more. The only problem I have is I cant walk higher then 3.0 because I also get dizzy.
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sweat usually.... If nto I'm doing it wrong.... I usually end up crumpled up in a sweaty ball on the floor at the end of my workout....
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I solve the world's problems.

I was complaining to my mother (a Marine, so she's had plenty of experience) that I got bored on runs. I wouldn't get tired, but just bored from the lack of mental stimulation. She told me it's a great time for problem solving.

Since I have so little problems in my life at the moment (thankfully, knock on wood) I like to solve world hunger, rascism, fat bashing, bullying, lost remote controls, and the chicken/egg dilemma.
  • jaclynZ
    Options
    kindle! ill read or watch youtube while running. great time expander!
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas. We have a TV in the gym in my apartment building but it's a very small gym, no DVD player (someone stole it!) and no Netflix, which I love! But the Kindle is a great idea, also the young woman next to me was reading a fitness magazine the other day. Also could listen to my iPod music, I suppose. Great ideas, thanks for starting this.
  • TracyBarrett81
    TracyBarrett81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I close my eyes and pray it will be over soon. lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If I'm actually full-on working out, like running intervals or whatever - I can't watch TV. I focus on surviving, because I'm really all out. Music is ok but not necessary for me. I basically just get in the zone and go! If I'm just taking it easy on an elliptical or a bike or something, TV helps pass the time.
  • determinedt0l0se
    Options
    I listen to music while watching a movie on netflix :)
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    during football season I watch college games. tell myself tokeep going until 1/2 time or the end of the quarter etc... before i know it I've watched the entire game and i'm dripping sweat. nothing like timeouts, penalties, and commercials to prolong a workout.
  • BethanyPJ90
    Options
    I workout at Planet Fitness so I usually watch their TVs or listen to music.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I close my eyes and pray it will be over soon. lol

THIS. I also think about food... but mostly planning meals for dinner or the next day.
  • Trev50
    Trev50 Posts: 14
    Options
    I read my Kindle or watch one of the TVs at the gym while I'm on the elliptical. And I look at all the beautiful people and hope they don't catch me looking at them.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I play games on my phone because no tv no comp. just radio and my cell phone.
  • cmccombs78
    cmccombs78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stair climber and Elliptical I watch music videos or movies on my Kindle Fire. Weight lifting, jogging and biking I listen to music, preferably something fast and hyper.
  • nakfam
    nakfam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks on my ipod... makes the time go fast and I don't have to worry about getting dizzy watching a screen.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When spinning, I sometimes watch movies, sometimes listen to music. When hiking, I listen to music or visit with people hiking with me. When swimming, I work through my problems. When bike riding, I work through my problems and/or listen to music or visit with people riding with me. When lifting weights, I listen to music.
  • RevNimue
    RevNimue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I listen to music while I dance. That's my main exercise. I'll belly dance to pretty much any type of music and dance to it, making choreographies as I go.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I could not use the treadmill due to a former knee surgery, so my machine of choice was the stationary bike. It worked for me.

I did find it difficult to read while on the stationary bike but the gyms I went to had TVs up on the wall. What I didn't like is there were either on a sports channel or the news .. neither one of which I enjoy watching. I was able now and again to have someone change the channel to watch some TV program and the time flew by. Heart rate up, calories burned, but weight loss and body change really wasn't there.

Fortunately now when I workout I am at the gym in a group of 5-10 people working with a personal training and using free weights and sheer will power and body strength. No treadmill, stationary bikes, or rowing machine. Very few machines in fact. We have fun, we laugh, we work hard, and in three months I see more results than I did in 3-1/2 years at the gym on equipment.

Each person has to do what works for them. :wink:
  • Talus731
    Talus731 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Watch Netflix while on my elliptical with my table. It blocks the screen so I can't see how long I have been on. Works like a charm.