Replies

• jcrowfoot
    jcrowfoot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Jessymyn
    Options
    Hello Everyone.

I'm new to this group, but so happy to find a place for those of us in the fabulous years of our lives.

A little bit about me. I quit smoking about 2 years ago and in that time, packed on 40 plus pounds. I'm just miserable inside this super-sized me. Adding to that, I've just recently moved to Oregon with my 16 year old son, while my fiance stays in California to sell our home and my handicapped sister-in-law's condo. We've moved her in with us here in Oregon because as she ages, and the symptoms of her Turner Syndrome become more prominent, she can't find work, and her ability to take care of herself has decreased exponentially. I've acquired a new job that doesn't allow me the freedom to move out from behind my desk as my last job did and it requires a 100 mile a day commute. I've got a lot on my plate right now and I feel alone and overwhelmed. In the past month, I've been using food to soothe these feelings and I've added about 10 of the 40 plus pounds just in that time.

Late last week. I joined the gym in the little town we moved to. My son and I have appointments to set up our workout schedules and nutritional consultation this afternoon. My son is, of course, a metabolic furnace. He wants to strengthen for the upcoming spring football camp at school. I on the other hand, want my skinny, pre-smokeless body back.

So, to that end, in February I will:

Go to the gym at least 3 times a week, more if my work and home schedule permit.
    Continue the path of healthy eating I've been on for the last week.
    Allow myself to splurge on red wine a couple of nights a week as a sanity clause.
    Be kind to my family and to myself.
    I will look to the fit of my clothes for validation of weight loss and not my scales.
    Not whine to my California friends about the fact that I'm growing webbed feet.

I look forward to watching you all triumph this month.

Jess - Sweet Home, Oregon
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Aloha from Kauai!
    I am still learning how to use the site - so not sure of correct "protocol" if there is one at all for posting here - I will try to learn who all of you are as I use it more - and I plan to be on the site for the long haul - during weight loss and to maintain! I am enjoying the site and so far it has been a huge help in my quest for a smaller, healthier me :happy:

I have so far been keeping up with at least one of my February resolutions/goals - to spend time being creative - I have been working on some paintings that were in progress and designing a new new one which I'll start to put on canvas hopefully this week!

I found a wonderful Zumba class very close to home - so I have gone twice and love love love it - I HIGHLY recommend ZUMBA to anyone who loves to dance - and if you don't think you can dance - don't worry - it's not hard - doesn't matter if you can't do it "right" the first few times - there is no "right" - the main thing is to move and smile and sweat - and you will do all three trust me!

Wishing you all a great week!

"The mind is everything...What you think, you become" - Buddah

Aloha from the Garden Island!
    Lynn Maile Taylor
    www.lynnandthayne.com
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.
    Welcome all the new people.Glad to get to know you.
    Computer had to be replaced.Hubby had a spare one.so it`s up and running.
    Went to ortho,keep up the knee strenghtning
    Have a great day!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What a Monday! Up early yet I still didn't the "worm" meaning that I missed out on a possible deal. That and still struggling with my cold has put a damper on this day. I am ready to call it quits and sit in front of the tv with my blankie :grumble:

@jane I like new computers but the learning curve is growing with my age :smile:

@jessymym welcome to the group; you do have a lot on your plate and a long commute yet you are still making some awesome goals for February - here's to you :flowerforyou:

@kauaiartist there are so many new women all the time that I don't think I will learn them all; just jump in and post after awhile some will become familiar or friends and welcome :happy:

@glenda your trip to the opera sounds delightful; I've never been and have wondered if I would like it. I've always thought of it as something you had to acquire a taste for.

Ladies, that is all of the posts I found on page 9 and I did not go further back but I do wish all of you a pleasant and healthy evening. I am off to watch evening news. Keep warm; blessings :smile:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,079 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies - it's taken quite a while for me to catch up on all the posts. I lost my Internet connection for most of yesterday afternoon (reason unknown) and today was "The Monday of Errands." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am in the same mind set as Barbie----I do not eat or even consider eating bread, bagels, donuts, muffins, croissants, baguettes, or anything in that category of foods. No way, nope, never. It leads me astray. Life is much better without them.

DeeDee - I am buying my athetic wear at Walmart as well. I'm happy with the Danskin products and the price is reasonable. Good luck on your training. :drinker:

Katia - do you have an update on your DH? :heart:

I need to get moving again. Need some more steps on that Fitbit today. :wink:

Wishing you all a happy and healthy week. Here's to Vitamin F!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Katla - prayers for your DH, you and the rest of your family.

Brookehe - your story sounds pretty familiar to me as I quit smoking and went through menopause in the same year, gaining around 50 pounds in the 12 months after that. Good luck on your weight loss journey and job search!

Cheryl - how scary for your kids and for you and your DH. Your neighbor was truly a hero!

Welcome, welcome to all of the new posters. I'm fairly new myself but can already tell you that you have found a wonderful group of women - from offering support to exchanging ideas.

My weekend in DC was wonderful - I saw all of the monuments and memorials and spent time at several of the Smithsonian museums but the absolute best part was visiting the national archives and seeing the original Declaration, Constituion and Bill of Rights. Well, that and seeing the flag that was flying as Francis Scott Key was inspired to write the Star Spangled Banner.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karla: I love bikes, too. We currently have ours on a trainer in the garage so we can ride in bad weather. It is still great exercise, but a chunk of the fun is missing, LOL. :tongue: Welcome!:happy:

Laura80111: I remember playing with the hula hoop. My folks couldn’t make it work, and back then they were quite a bit younger than I am now. LOL. Congratulations on the too big top! I’m happy for you for the weight loss, and sympathetic about the top not fitting.:flowerforyou:

Linda C in cold Northern Ontario: “Freeze the tits of a witch today -39 this morning.” I love your sense of humor and am thrilled to hear you were happy all day. It doesn’t get better than that! I can’t even imagine that level of cold. I think you’re very stalwart to endure it and I admire you.:bigsmile:

Newbies: Welcome to a great group of women.:smile:

DH is now home!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Thank you for all your good wishes. He is in decent spirits and feeling okay. He grabbed the motorized cart at Safeway on our way home from the hospital today and did pretty well—BUT his control is a bit off. Now he can see the left side clearly and the right side not at all. No damage was done, and we enjoyed the experience. :laugh: :wink: :laugh: It so SOOOO good to have him home! :heart: :heart: :heart: I went to the county and had my jury duty deferred to October so I can drive him to doctor appointments. If necessary I’ll ask to be excused altogether in October. We just need to see how it goes.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Katla in NW Oregon
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi, hi, hi. I missed you all yesterday. I spent most of the day in bed with a headache. I think it's because I had a "crick" in my neck which made my muscles tight. I got up to watch the superbowl and DH massaged it a ton, and it is a ton better today. Lately I feel like the resident whiner!

Well now you can all laugh at me. I got to work today and could NOT figure out what was going on! I could not get out of my car! i was trapped! :noway: Thoughts of being filmed for the 6 o'clock news as I was being extricated flashed through my mind then I noticed my seat belt was still on. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OMG!!! Good thing I get to work really really early and no one saw me! OMG again! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think my brain is leaking. :sad:

Well I missed way too much to respond to everyone so I'll just say: welcome to the newbies and come back often; congratulations to those who have victories, and hugs to all who are sad or suffering. I'll be back tomorrow with more chatter. Take care, Meg from cold Omaha
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm sure not everyone's team won yesterday, but we can probably mostly say we enjoyed watching Beyonce very much. What a great show!

I'm off to visit the DGD and DD (and SIL) tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Squee! And as a warm-up preview I spent part of last night holding my neighbor's 4mo. So cuddly! We had the party, which went really well. As par usual I didn't last through the game though - I did see the lights come back on but had to call it a night after that. Good thing all of my neighbors and friends know me so well and don't bat an eye when I disappear :laugh:. I even did well on eating, but that's only because I drank all my calories. I paid for that this morning when I had to do Combat 60 - an hour straight of kickboxing. I was feeling more like myself after though.

DH had to take the cat to the vet - evidently putting him on a diet stressed him out too much, and he developed a UTI. It was awful - I kept finding little marks all over the house. The vet gave him a shot and put him on some different food that will eliminate the crystals in his urine, then after that he can go back to a regular food. So fun.

I won't respond to everyone today, but I want to say hi and welcome to all the newcomers as well. Keep coming back - we're a friendly bunch :smile:.

Cheers, all!

M.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i just found this thread, but i have kept a couple of my january resolutions : exercise at least 20 minutes a day, work on learning to knit, log food every day. So far, so good, but have not yet lost a pound! Nice to see others over 50 here. :o)

Age 61, need to lose 42 pounds, in eastern PA.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cheryl from N of Chicago, the cleanse I do has no resemblance to the cleanse for a colonoscopy or anything like that…..it is a cellular cleanse with a day of drinking a special herbal drink four times a day with some snacks that keep blood sugar level (all chocolate) and a lot of water. I’ve been doing this for almost four years and it’s become part of my healthy eating plan.

:laugh: :laugh: :glasses: :glasses: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: So, today, the morning after my cleanse day I went for my check up with the gynecologist….my weight was extra low after a cleanse (a day of only liquids and almost no sodium) and I was very impressed with myself when I got on the scale and my weight was four pounds lower than it had been a year ago….the check up went great until she told me that I was underweight and needed to gain a few pounds….she told me that BMI for women over 65 was different and that I needed those extra pounds in case I got very sick…she also said that bone density might be more of a problem for a woman with lower body weight…..wow was that a change from what I’ve heard all my life……..now here’s the crazy part……the first thought I had when I drove home was that if I needed to gain weight I should put butter all over the vegetables I was having for lunch and then go buy some peanut butter…then I thought, phooey, I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and next year I’ll be sure to eat Chinese food and drink a lot of water before I go see her so my weight will be artificially high so she’ll be happy….that is the crazy thinking that keeps me coming back to all of you.

:flowerforyou: Laura, when I went from size 16 and XL to size 6 and Small, I cried as I gave away all the clothes that I love, but now I really love all the tiny things in my drawers and closet and how I can tuck in my shirts and wear a belt.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the new friends who have become part of our community…..probably the only rules are keep coming back and never, never, never give up

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    January was good to me . Lost the 4lbs that I put on in Dec for Birthday and the Holidays. Exercising more than I ever did . Bought a pedometer and clocking in over 10,000 steps.. Also watching my sodium intake.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    what about guys age 50 :(
  • floridapanthergirl
    Options
    Hey Goils! I am in North Central Florida. Been with MFP since November. Have lost 16 pounds and am very pleased. Am doing low (ish) carbs.
    For February: I want to get to the gym at least once a week and do the line as well as cardio. (I live out of town so it is a major effort to get to the gym. I get my weight training at home, most of the time.)
    I want to be sure to get in my 200 minutes of exercise every week this month.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Cheryl - did you bring that gown with you to the sleep center? How appropriate for you if you didn't. You look very nice (except, that is, for all the wires)

junenez - welcome. The best thing I can suggest is to track and religiously monitor your food

Karen from MI - best of luck to you. We all have trying times. This, too, shall pass.

4d9r - welcome and happy birthday. Tomorrow is my son's birthday

dlbalogh - welcome! You've come to a great place for motivation

Lisa from Ohi - The "F" in vitamin F stands for "friends". There's a lot of it here!

Cheryl - WOW, you've come a long way, baby! What a wonderful neighbor you have who just jumped right in that lake. What did you do for them, they said at the end that you were planning to do something

karla - welcome! Keep logging in, you've done so well so far

So many new members -- it's hard to keep up. Keep logging in. Welcome everyone

Laura - sounds like we have a lot of members from CO. Maybe you can get an MFP party planned???

Congrats to everyone who quit smoking. One of the absolute best things you can do for yourself and everyone else

Lynn mailie - I don't think I've EVER learned everyone -- and I've been here a few years. Some come and go, that's life But we're always here.

Did 25 minutes of yoga today then an hour of the extremepump class. Then did a little food shopping because if I spent another $18 I'd get an extra 5 cents off a gallon of gas and I really needed to fill my car, so did that, bought Vince two donughts, stopped at the Salvation Army, then went for my Reclast infusion. Well, there weren't any problems getting it, so I'm going to be hopeful. Tonight is mahjongg. Tomorrow I'll do a downloadable spin workout.

texasgal - I'm so sorry you're having a rough day. You can sit in front of the TV with your blankie, as long as you don't have chips with it....lol

katla - I'm so relieved your dh is home

M - have a great trip. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who didn't last thru the game. I saw the lights come on, too, but I missed all of the 3rd quarter and most of the 4th. But I did get up in time to see the end....:) Glad to hear your cat is getting better.

WJZR - welcome! Your Jan. resolutions sound great

barbie - I'd never heard that the BMI for women over 65 was different. Actually, the BMI number can be very off. It really doesn't take into account muscle mass. Someone with a lot of lean muscle mass could be technically overweight and therefore have a high BMI. Another positive to wearing smaller size clothes -- you can fit more clothes in the drawers! (Bet that's one of the reasons Amanda goes shopping)

12774 - is your birthday on Dec. 7? That's dh's too if that is your birthday

dlibo - EVERYONE is welcome. As a matter of fact, it will be especially helpful to lots of us to have a male perspective on things. I look forward to getting to know you lots better

Well, I didn't maj even once tonight! Tomorrow I'll do the spinning workout then I need to get the oil in my car changed. In the afternoon we'll give Bryan a call since it's his birthday. Around 12 - 2 our time seems to be a fairly good time to call him. Then tomorrow night we have Mexican Train Dominoes to go to.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    January was good to me . Lost the 4lbs that I put on in Dec for Birthday and the Holidays. Exercising more than I ever did . Bought a pedometer and clocking in over 10,000 steps.. Also watching my sodium intake.

I dug out my old pedometer, and logged 7320 today. Mostly due to a power walk at lunch time. It also showed ~ 5k in distance and 380 calories burned. I have no idea if the final 2 measures are actually correct, but of course, it depends if I have entered the correct data to start with.

:flowerforyou: Hope everyone had a great day. One.Day.at.a.Time is key.

The question we have to ask ourselves is: "What is it that I have control over TODAY". For example, I have no control over how much weight I lose TODAY, but I do have control over what I put in my mouth TODAY!!

What did you have control of today?:wink:

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC (TODAY)
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    what about guys age 50 :(

Nope, but you may want to create your own forum.