WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've already missed my one February goal of one hour of Russian language study each day.
    Not even close.
    I did it once.
    At this rate, I will be 979 years old before I can understand Russian.

I also need to add one item to my goals:
    Be consciously aware, especially when running, not to shrug my shoulders. Same in my office: "Jackie, take your shoulders out of your ears and put them where they belong."
    When I walk, it looks like I left the hanger in my shirt.

Does anyone else have issues with tension in their shoulders? It's especially easy to do it when running. I am not a nervous person with much to be tense about, so I can't figure out what's up with my shoulders. I only became aware of it after my trainer told me.

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hey Girls!! Well I just have to try to check in a couple times a day to keep up!!!! I love all the sharing that goes on here!

Superbowl....I felt like I ate Thanksgiving dinner! However I felt like I was in some type of moderation! Yesterday I was back on track and made it to Cozmosize and my daughter joined me!!! She had a great time. I think she is catching my exercise bug..:bigsmile: Yippee I am being a good influence!!!!!!!!

Do any of you have a journal??? I have a weight journal. I have been writing in it for years..everytime I would start a diet I would write in it....OMG the diets I have been on:wink: Anyway I am on my second journal and I write when I feel I need to. I also log in measurements, weight etc. Well I am going to start adding my monthly goals in it so I can keep reminding myself what I need to get done! I really need to focus on my eating now so I can start losing again!!! I think I have the exercise down :love:

REMEMBER ~ ARRIVING AT ONE GOAL IS THE START OF ANOTHER! This journey never ends :flowerforyou:

I am hoping you are all making good choices!!! Gotta get back to work.
    :heart: Judy
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Trying to keep up with all thee posts but oh my, it may take more time than I have!!

Renny - I totally agree with your question...what can I take control of today? I try to avoid setting goals of weight loss or pounds/week. I really have no control over those numbers. I do have control over what I put in my mouth and the activity that I add to my day. I can put measureeable numbers on them and have much more say on how the day looks. (admittedly. there are times when someone else may be serving thee food, filling my day.....) I can see those things as contributing to my overall health. Oh yes, I do want to lose!! but we have all experienced the week when we do it all right and the scale doesn't move. But I have met my goals and it is still a successful week.

Jess - I have never experienced the 'quit smoking'weight gain but i can sure relate to the 'moving/new community' comfort eating and weight gain. It sounds like you have a good plan and attitude to deal with it - good luck to you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Linda - I have a good friend who has a service dog for her daughter for seizure alert/ behaviour alerts. I think their price tag was more like $30,000 and I know they had to do lots of fundraising. It really was interesting to see the community rally around and certainly brought lots of awareness to their situation. I am not sure what the concernis for your daughter but I know these dogs are amazing!! What organization are you working through?

June - Congratulations on your weight loss - great job!! :flowerforyou: Glad you are seeing the differences in your body and activities - those things are real motivators to keep at it , aren't they!

dlibo - ever thought of starting up a group for 50 + men? Might be more relevant for you.

cheryl - Just watched your video link - you are famous!!:smile: So happy for a happy ending to that story!! Checked out your facebook pic too....wow, you were wired!! Looking good :smile: My husband went for the testing once but didn't follow through on the treatment :( He said it didn't help him sleep....he should have asked me!!:noway: :noway:

Lots to get done here today - and I have an out of town friend coming for a coffee visit and a band concert tonight.

Go well all!
    glenda in balmy alberta
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Okay, here I go back on the wagon again. After being sick and coughing for four months, I think that I am finally getting well enough to exercise, so maybe I will have the enthusiasm that I need. Sorry I neglected you, and good to see you again!
    Mary (throwing her hat back in the ring again . . .)
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    ♥ all the new posts and new members! Lingering sore throat keeping me down again today. Logged my diary and stopped in to read posts. I did watch TV ALL evening and will probably do the same tonight. I'd do it now except I have a few things on my plate to finish up. Here's to all the ladies and 1 guy - have a glorious Tuesday afternoon! :flowerforyou:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Mary - is your poodle a blue? Mine will be three in July and I thought he'd be done turning colors but he isn't. His tail is almost completely turned and his ears have huge streaks in them and when he is shaved you can see the silver hairs in the black. Is your dog in between too?

Glenda - not famous, just the Mom of infamous kids. Let it be their last 15 minutes of fame.:wink:

Lucy - stay well

Juner - great for you!!! :drinker:

lentigogirl - hidden identities? I don't think I'm very good at hiding mine. Always and open book :tongue:

DeeDee - thanks

Katla - yes, my daughter rocked it that day. My son - not so much. :ohwell:

Barbie - you have to gain weight - Yayyyy, the ultimate. I like your plan to just make certain your next visit isn't when you're guaranteed to be your lowest.

Sundance - Zumba Rush for the XBox - we don't even have a flat screen tv in my house :tongue:

Glenda - I too am jealous of their lunch date. I do have relatives in Denver so you never know - maybe I will join them one day. Time for a nice ski trip!!

Jessy - welcome aboard - it's distressing to be fat when one is used to being thin. Good luck on your path back to healthy :flowerforyou:

Lynn from Hawaii - made me think of the first time I was in Hawaii - I was visiting from Guam and landed in Oahu and thought, "They think this is an island, I feel like I'm in California!" And I was petrified to drive 55 on the highway there - the fastest limit on Guam is 35 and I had become used to it.

MegBlair - blame it on the over 50 brain - that's my excuse for everything.

12774 - Are you a criminal :happy: You're only a number!! Glad to hear you had a good January.

Exermom - saw you said your hubby's birthday is Dec 7th - I once got married on Pearl Harbor day. It didn't turn out well. :ohwell:

Renny - I don't feel I have any control over anything these days. I'll get it back though. I think February and March have always been my months that I gain the most. (And November and December have always been the ones I lose the most in.) I think I'm going to concentrate on not gaining instead of losing then kick it in gear in April.

Ok, I'm done.
  • msh0530
    Options
    Welcome back Mary - is your poodle a blue? Mine will be three in July and I thought he'd be done turning colors but he isn't. His tail is almost completely turned and his ears have huge streaks in them and when he is shaved you can see the silver hairs in the black. Is your dog in between too?
    My poodle is black. Her mother was silver, though, and she has a few silver hairs. She is five years old. Is yours a standard also? Love those dogs! Mary
  • Kimmy715
    Kimmy715 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody, I'm new to the board. I'm Kim in Sacramento, CA. I'm 55, a genealogist (professionally) and I like to do all kinds of needlework (knitting, embroidery, crochet, cross stitch etc.) I also LOVE to read. Which means I sit on my fat ***** all the time and I have put on way too much weight as middle age snuck up on me. I joined MFP in Jan. and have lost 10 pounds since the first of Jan. I am living the 1200 calorie lifestyle but II blew it last night. (Cake and Potatoe Chips for dinner) As soon as the foot doctor clears me I will start walking. My goal weight is 110 (I'm 5'2") but I will stop losing before that if I start to look anorexic. Hope to make friends here and work with everybody to encourage and support each other.
    My February goal is just to maintain the weight I am at now as I will be in New Orleans for Mardi Gras for about 2 weeks. I will also be visiting with my family down there and they really know how to cook (we're Cajun).
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kimmy. I live in Chicago now but am from New Orleans. And all bets are off when I visit because there isn't a single dish I've been living without that I won't indulge in while there. My daughter is going next month because she's been accepted to Tulane and is going to spend a night in the dorm and see what she thinks.

And yes my poodle is a standard. You guys are going to get tired of me posting on here so much :tongue:
  • wants2cruise
    wants2cruise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been doing a great job using MFP to track my calories, exercise, and weight, but I have found that I don't really have time to be very active on the social part of MFP between school, home, and going to the Y. I'd love to have time to read all these posts and respond to everyone, but to be honest, it most likely won't happen so I hope you will accept me popping in when I have a chance.

Katla - Just wanted to say thanks for noticing that I have ambitious goals. I know they are and don't want to make them so ambitious that they aren't "doable", but I really want them to be ambitious enough to make a big difference! :) After all, I only have 53 days until I cruise!

I do want this to be a life change, not just a change to get ready for the cruise, but right now the cruise is really great motivation so I am focusing on that!
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hi , no my birthday is dec 13th .

My wedding anniversary is Dec 7th Isn't this funny!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    LucyT4dieting: Whether DH gets therapy is still an unknown. It was mentioned, and there may be some available. His only loss we know about is vision on the right side so it wouldn’t be a conventional type of physical therapy. We expect to learn more when the visits his Neurologist for his follow-up appointment.:flowerforyou:

Kimmy715: Welcome to the group.:flowerforyou:

wants2cruise: Good luck on your goals. I’m having a satisfying amount of weight loss over all, but it doesn’t come off smoothly and “on demand.” There are plateaus. As a result, my goals focus on logging food and drinking water. I'm MUCH better at logging calories than drinking water. :laugh: If you hit a plateau, keep on working and don’t get discouraged.:flowerforyou:

My new scale FINALLY arrived, and shows that I’ve lost a pound! Yay! :bigsmile: Good old “Unreliable”:frown: is going to the charity resale shop or garbage, depending on my sense of responsibility at the moment. Does anybody know if it can be recycled?

Log your calories and drink your water!:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Kimmy715
    Kimmy715 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So far I'm doing great for today. Finding this group has been very inspirational. Dinner is sometimes hard...getting a little tired of Fish and Chicken. Open to ideas....
    ~Kim in CA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cheryl for N of Chicago, I watched the videos, wow….the story was scary but your daughter was awesome.

:flowerforyou: I’m happy to see how many of us are signing our posts with a name and a location (even a fake name and a general geographic location is fine if you want to be private)……it helps me feel more connected to you

:flowerforyou: Liz, I found a website that defines underweight, healthy, overweight, obese BMI slightly differently based on age……it also shows where you are compared to others in your age group and clearly defined healthy BMI over age 65 as higher than for younger women…..I am probably not going to look to gaining weight but get over the idea that with some effort I might be able to lose a few more pounds.

Here is the link to the BMI calculator.
    http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

:flowerforyou: Katla, I’m not going to worry about what the doctor said about gaining weight……I think this is just another variation on making BMI too important…Ii told the story for a several reasons…first because I never thought I’d ever hear someone say I needed to gain a few pounds, and I wanted to share the insane thinking that came with it
    either go out and buy a bunch of foods I don’t normally eat or else find a way to fake a few pounds next year.

:flowerforyou: Jo, bravo for using your pedometer and taking such a great walk

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, keep moving and it will get better…the aching muscles are evidence that you worked hard….the pain in inspirational.

:flowerforyou: June, your husband is a keeper
    a food scale is a great valentine gift.

My valentine gift arrived yesterday and fit perfectly. It’s a pair of Columbia Bugaboots with Omni Heat lining rated to keep your feet warm down to -25 F or -32 C----the new and improved version of the pair that I’ve been wearing for 5+ mile walks seven days a week November to April last year and November to February this year. The old ones were falling apart and the heels were badly worn down….even so, I’m such an “under-buyer” that yesterday I began to think that I probably didn’t need new boots, that I could probably coax the old ones into lasting until it warmed up in the spring:laugh: :laugh: .

:flowerforyou: I just finished my snack of frozen green beans and frozen corn and I’m ready to tackle my weight training…….Jake and I watch TV together while I do my workout….I’ve added two new exercises to the workout and I’m eager to see how it goes.

:heart: arbie from NW Washington
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A question for you all - if I know I'm not going to have internet access for a few days, can I pre-post my food diary and have my 'thingeringer has logged in for _ days' continue? Sure would appreciate your advice on this. Don't want to start over!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Bad head cold has kept me MIA for a few days. Need to kick its butt before Saturday and Kauai.

Let them eat cake.
    DSC_0292_zps85139244.jpg

Robin Bodi and Ritter
    rainy PNW
  • msh0530
    Options
    A question for you all - if I know I'm not going to have internet access for a few days, can I pre-post my food diary and have my 'thingeringer has logged in for _ days' continue? Sure would appreciate your advice on this. Don't want to start over!
    I'm pretty sure that doesn't worked, unless things have changed since I tried it. Sorry! Mary
  • msh0530
    Options
    question: what do DH, DD etc stand for
    Dear Husband, Dear Daughter, etc.

I actually went swimming today for the first time in forever! I'm a little sore and a lot tired, and probably overdid it, but it feels good. Have a good evening! Mary in KS
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Read all the post but didn't do notes was running out of time. Almost 9 here. And I'm in bed by 10. Just did my log and all is well there. And came and read in here and all is well here.

Barbie
    Your boots will be ready for walking next winter. You won't have to worry about getting a pair then.

Well today was a very layed back relaxed kind of day. Didn't even get exercise in because i was to lazy. And this journey does not allow to get lazy. So tomorrow need to get up and with it.

Made myself a big batch of fruit and veg. juice. Used everything I had.Added physsilium.flax and chia seed. Pretty good and I put 30 servings in my recipe and it's only 46 calories. I'm writting down how many oz. i'm getting on a paper. But it's a great snack. And doesn't play havoc with my blood sugar so that's good.

So leaving the puter for the night time to go relax some before bed.

Linda C
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Man.... just home from work at 9p and I don't want to cook or do anything. Maybe I'll just have egg whites again....
    Boss is traveling tomorrow, but left me extra plus will call in. He'll also be going to NOLA for Mardi Gras in a few days with his DW, then back a couple of days and then out for a whole week. Sigh... perhaps I'll get some of my other work done then!

GardenGail, metro Atlanta