WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Replies

• Hi ladies- I am going into my second week. Taking 1 day at a time and being encourged by the post I have been reading. I will be celebrating my 54th birthday next week. I will be going to the Domincan Republic for a week. Wish me luck with trying to staying the course, Make it great day! Peace & Blessing! Pamela
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Been working on getting caught up all afternoon. Missed yesterday as we went out to see DS’s new ranch. Did lots of hiking up hills and had a great day.

Kate – Alberta – Good goals for February. I also have some long term goals for April and July! Let’s do it.

Welcome to Sandy in Ut. – losing on 1100 calories may work for a while but your body is going to resist after a while. I also did WW and was very successful about 15 years ago but since all the new programs I just stalled out. (May be all that “free” fruit.)Great dedication with your logging 130 is commendable. Let us know what your think of kale. I haven’t found it at my HEB.

Katia – I found that sometimes I was under guessing my portions sizes. So if you have to pay the calories, be sure you get all that’s coming to you. So sorry to hear of your DH’s stroke and wishing his a speedy and complete recovery.

Karen in MI – good goals for Feb. You are doing so well. Aim for the stars you might just get there.

Eileen – Whenever you see the commercial for LifeStyle Life, pause the picture and read the small print. It goes something like this, “these patients have also had neck firming, eye tucks, etc.” It’s so funny. Also notice how they have dyes their hair and put on makeup. I think it’s probably a good procedure but that cracks me up.

DeeDee – hope your training went well. I’m posting as I read and you may have already commented on it. Good luck.

Debra – welcome from a fellow Texan. The main thing is to get at least 1200 calories a day or you’ll get bored again. You can change the % for your nutrients and there are several options that work well. I was always over sugar even though I wasn’t adding any to food and not eating sweets. Just saw Barbie’s reply and she said it much better!
    Welcome to Cheryl from Iowa and Ann. Glad you joined us on this journey.

Gail – I had a situation once in Walmart where a young mother of two wasn’t allowed to take her groceries. I don’t know why but she was abusive to the manager. Something told me to pay for those groceries. By the time I got to where she was she had taken her two kids and left. It has bothered me ever since. I know if I ever get that chance again, I’ll act quicker.

Pam in OK – Glad you found us! You could put in your happiness jar that you found a great group of friends on line!

Hi Lisa in NC . Take a deep breath and do the best you can. The more you do this program the more you’ll learn about yourself. You can do this one minute, hour, or day at a time. The good news is each day is a fresh new page to start over on.

Lisa in Ohio – welcome to the group. Keep your goals where you can see them and work on them everyday. You can do this.
    Deb in NJ – you are doing great. Keep this feeling in your memory bank and remember how good you feel.

Karla in Iowa – welcome to the best group on MFP.

Sherri in CO – welcome to the group. There are several Colorado ladies in this group. My two DD’s live in Parker.

Donna in FL – thanks for sharing “the journey is as important as he goal because the journey is where you learn to live the goal not just to reach it. “ Great wisdom!

Brooke – You’ve made the best decision to get healthy again. Welcome.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Forgot to sign my post. it's late!

Sue from TX
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Hello Ladies

My MFP app from my phone kept acting up all day. Via putting in my time at the y and way off . .But manage to work it all out.

Did have a fun time at the Y with my daughter. Really glad we join the y.

@Katla Glad to hear that your DH is home.
    @M enjoy your trip.
    @Barbie I never new that BMI 's were different with age.
    @ welcome.everyone new.

@Michele. I am sort of envious of all the fun things you do like playing Maj, Mexican train etc. Love playing those games.
    @texasgal sorry your day is sort of rough.

@hi Dee!

Tomorrow is back to work.

So better get ready for work.

Liz
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    This was the commercial about the segment that was aired tonight, and honestly, other than my daughter speaking in this you didn't see much more of the interview they did with us. You do see us all standing by the pond, but that's it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=8977497

Here's the segment

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=8980712

Exermom - at first I brought a long t-shirt night gown, but realized you could see through it so I asked my husband to bring me a different one. Yes, I didn't even realize it was a horse one until I looked at the picture. It's funny, I'm over 50 and still love my horse ear rings and horse t-shirts and nightgowns, just everything horsey. I'm sitting by a horse lamp right now and my coat is on a horse hat rack, I could go on and on. I have no taste or style in my house, just horses and pictures of kids. Oh, I do have one really cool horse in my house - I will have to post a picture. I paid tons of money for it after too many Hurricanes in New Orleans.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Cheryl,
    I just watched the news story you posted. Oh, my that is so scary what happened to your children. You daughter is very cute! Good picture of the family too!
    I learned something new on the video. Thanks for sharing this information.:bigsmile:

Liz, I did see your calories burned at the y today, they were amazing! Lol:laugh:

Katia, praying for your DH. You husband not wanting to get help is very typical of men.Denial of symptoms is a problem in most men. I am glad that you got him there when you did!.:wink:

I did see the hand MD. It was very strange, as he didn't even know why I was there! This is the wonderful workman's compensation system in Calif. He asked me what I wanted to do?? Um, your the doctor, aren't you to tell me what needs to be done? The utilization review MD,documented that surgery has the best outcome for moderate carpal tunnel. PT doesn't do any good. So, I just told him what this doctor wrote... Crazy! :noway: So , now I just wait! The outcome is marvelous now days!

So, I am missing the time to read and be an active vitamin F lady on this blog.:sad: Seems that January never happened, it just flew by!:noway:
    I am loving being back at work! People are so sick with the flu right now in Calif. Schools are having very high absenteeism rates etc. So, I hope all of you on the western USA have gotten your flu shot! :sick: :sick:
    Right knee is really bothering me now, :cry: but I am just trying to go to the gym every other day and have a rest day in between.:smile: We did get Zumba Rush for the XBOX. I have done a little bit, but the girls are always wanting to do it at midnight! :yawn:

Have to get their time priority's switched. Ok, tomorrow is my day off and it is busy with appts for my DD. I will try to catch up on this blog and get to know some of the new ladies!:flowerforyou:

We have a one hour phone consult with a organization that has service dogs for problems like PTSD, anxiety,seizure disorders etc. We want to get one for my DD. :flowerforyou: The cost to raise/train a service dog is - get ready for this,, are your ready?
    $10,000!:noway: :noway: We will learn more about this tomorrow. The expectation is that we will fund raise for the dog, but they will not deny you a dog if one meets all the criteria and the dog and help make a persons life better. Pray that this is meant to be.:smile:
    Ok, I have to go tell the kids to get in bed, oh, do their chores first and then get in bed!!
    Prays to all of you that are suffering, or need support.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: BE KIND AND LOVING TOWARDS YOURSELF. :heart: :heart: Get healthy nutritious foods, drink your water and exercise! You are special and deserve to be healthy! :drinker: :drinker: Keep plugging along the road as we walk on this journey together!:heart:

Be Blessed, Linda S:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie: I can not even imagine a doctor telling me I need to gain weight,:noway: but I have known a small number of women who were so thin that they had trouble fighting off colds and flu.:sick: Every cold turned into pneumonia, things like that. I had an Auntie in that situation. You seem so strong and healthy that I’m surprised your doctor would worry. Maybe you could get some clarification. :flowerforyou:

Dllbo 1013: We’re very girly and frank around here, but I’ve no objection to a guy dropping in. I can tell you that the guys in the lunchroom where I used to work would leave when the women were getting into “female” discussions. :frown: :sick: :tongue: Is there a 50+ group for men? After you see how things go with us, you might decide to start one.

Michelle: What is a reclast infusion? I’m also curious about downloadable spin workouts. I wonder if they’d be suitable for my recumbent trike. I love riding it outdoors, but it is set up on a trainer in the garage now, and that is pretty boring riding. :yawn: I keep doing it because I feel so energized afterward.:bigsmile:

wessecg: Your daughter was articulate and helped to tell an important story. I’m sure you’re very proud of her. Thanks for sharing the link!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

DH and I are enjoying an evening in front of the fire. You really appreciate the little things after you’ve been through a scare. I’m sure we’re going to “get” to go to a lot of Dr. appointments in the near future, but hopefully they’ll be worth it. Right now it is wonderful just to be together at home.:love::bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Katla at home with DH in NW Oregon
  • Well good morning from the UK!

My second day back and thanks for the warm support. So many to get to know and it will take me a while to get you know you all!

:smile: Pamela - Happy Birthday for next week and enjoy you trip!

:smile: Renny- yesterday I had control of my pedometer (it helps if you have charged it up!) So I managed to tot up 11,790:happy: Walked to the beach and back and the long way to the shops. I will have to use it to lose it!

Have a good day

Jo :heart:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Katla:smile: So glad hubby is back at home with you:flowerforyou: ! Enjoy all your time together!!!

Cheryl (Chicago):smile: Very good interview! Beautiful family!

I had my first day of training yesterday and today I can barely move:sad: ,everytime I move I hurt! I have a 40 minute walk this morning, then a long walk with Noel later today...push through the pain! I can do it, I can do it, I can do it!!!! Thanks ladies for the info where to buy fitness wear. I might get time to check some places out today.

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: Come in often and chat away!!!

I have read all the posts and have so much to more to say, however I have no more time this morning.
    Hope everyone has a fabulous day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Good morning! Quick check in... off to substitute teach in 3rd grade. Have a happy day!

Tammy
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    what about guys age 50 :(

Welcome! Given that we can't verify anyone's identity here and some of us are just cartoons, there's nothing to keep you from joining on in, but be warned that although we might not all be 50+ women in real life, our conversation pretty much revolves around things that 50+ year old women find of interest.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    DeeDee - do you have Beall's stores near you? I've gotten some really good deals on workout clothes and, despite their low price, they have washed/worn extremely well.

GardenGail, metroAtlanta
  • AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Saving to read later!
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Hello ladies,
    I haven't been on here for a while and wanted to let you know that I am alive and still losing weight. In spite of Christmas, New Year's and winter weather, I was able to lose 13 pounds since the first of Jan. I am very happy with my accomplishments!!! I am feeling better, not sure about looking better (LOL) but looking thinner, and able to move and exercise more easily as the weight comes off. Even more important, inches are coming off my body too. It is so good to go through my closet every 2 or 3 months and eliminate the clothes that are now hanging on you when they use to fit!!!:drinker: :drinker:

I don't remember most my Jan. goals/resolutions, but here are my Feb. ones:

1--Lose 1 to 2 pounds per month; around 8 total.
    2--Keep moving. Exercise and/or walk daily for a min. of 60 minutes
    3--Drink WATER,WATER,WATER.....8 to 12+ cups daily.
    4. Be patient and kind to myself and others around me. Especially to myself when the scales don't move down in a week's time OR moves up and down a lb or two for a week or more!!! That is so-o-o-o frustrating!!!!
    5--Log daily and encourage others who are just starting out on this journey or for those who get discourage and need help to keep motivated, keep moving, and keep trying their best to lose weight. It is a hard job but support does help!! MFP is great for support and accountability if you use it!!

I hope all of you ladies are having a wonderful Feb. so far. Happy Valentines Day to you all. I hinted to my husband to do flowers and not chocolates this year. He smiled and said, "How about a food scale?" :smooched: I love my man!!! :love: :bigsmile:

June from North Central Missouri
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Cheryl - watched the clips you posted...your daughter was so poised and mature. Still can't imagine how frightening
    Barbie - what an odd thing for a doctor to say. BMI is BMI regardless of age. I would think she would want you strong and healthy

question: what do DH, DD etc stand for

I'm taking a rest day today. caught a mild stomach bug yesterday (crackers for dinner anyone) and thought I should rest. Lost a pound but can't get too excited about it because I'm feeling so low energy and think it may be because I got sick. I feel fortunate that I didn't get as sick as I've been hearing some people are - I guess the flu shot is helping there. Well got to get to work I have a ton to do and deadlines looming. Hoping I can get done early and maybe sneak in a nap. Jodi
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Good morning all,

I can't figure out if I'm getting sick or not.:sick: I sneezed my way through the day yesterday and was very congested last night, but feel fine this morning. I took Alka Seltzer Plus and got a great night's sleep. Guess that helped. Didn't know if I was going to be able to exercise this morning, but got through it just fine. I'm feeling extra hungry today, so I'm struggling a bit in the will-power department. I wonder if the body requires more food when trying to fight off an impending illness?

:flowerforyou: Jess - Welcome! It sounds like you are one busy woman! Loved your goals. A positive outlook goes a long way.

:happy: Katla - So relieved to hear that DH is home and you are spending time together. Will he be needing rehab therapy?

:smile: M - UTI is very common in male cats, but is very treatable. My vet told me to keep my cat on a certain diet as occurences are common.

:ohwell: Barbie - If you feel healthy at your current weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the doctor's advice to gain. Everyone is different, and you should know best what feels right for you.

:heart: Renny - Thanks for your message. I'm feeling extra hungry today and needed to hear that.

:glasses: Pamela - Have a wonderful vacation! I wish I were going someplace warm.....

:tongue: I'm determined to stay within my calorie goal for the day.

:drinker: Dedication is simply reminding yourself what you want and then paying the price to get it....every day.

Hugs to all,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    :flowerforyou: Lovely Tuesday all you Vit F's,

Caught up with the posts no time for comments, too much to do not enough time (isn't it always like that:sad: )

Hoping everyone has a great day log, log, log exercise, water and food...let's keep on making those wise choices:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I'm just about ready to leave for yoga. The last session I attended left my boy feeling fabulous. I hope this one does, too.:smile:

My kids have been so supportive during the events of the past several days. I love hearing from them. DS would love to come, but is in the military and that isn't possible right now. DD has offered to come for a visit soon. Right now, we're happy to have some adjustment time on our own to see how many things can stay the same, and what has to change. Big change is that for now I'm the exclusive designated driver.:glasses: (this is me in my chauffer outfit.)

I'll check back in later. Get your cardio and drink your water.:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    This is what I got from page 9 before going out to coffee.

Glenda
    Glad you enjoyed your opera. Don't think it would be for me. I'm country.
    I imagine many of us did foolish things driving through lack of attention.

Welcome to all you newbies. Jessy, WjZR,Florida panthe,Pamela

Dlibo
    If you have a recipe for fast loss I think you would be welcomed.

Lynn
    Glad you found and enjoy Zumba.

Ohiomomof2
    Glad you enjoyed your trip and made memories.

Katla
    Not much scenery in the garage.
    Born here 64 years ago no time to think of moving or running away from home now.
    Get out of that jury duty you have a reason. And it gives them time to find someone else.
    Glad to hear hubby is doing good and accepting what happened.

Meg
    You have had a bad couple months hope it settles soon.

M
    Enjoy your time away from home. I sometimes disapear at parties but friends know where i'm at.

Barbie
    I see the doctors reasoning. But see yours as well If you feel well. You shouldn't get sick.

Michele
    You sure are one busy lady. all the exercise and lots of fun things to do.

Renny
    Thats a lot of steps on your first day.

Sue
    Measuring is very important I found i wasn't getting enough got more after I started to measure.

Liz
    Wish we had a Y Here the gym membership is over 600 dollars a year.

Well that's only page 9 will get to 10 latter.

So far having a great day food wise. need to get somekind of exercise in.
    Back in a bit.

Linda. From the far white North.

Jane
    Glad you got your puter problem resolved

Texas gal
    Enjoy your blanket but like someone said minus the chips. lol.

Linder
    I'm working on the no white approach finding it kind of hard so easy just to throw a sand. together.
    I make the odd oatmeal pancake and have some oatmeal but cut back on that also.
    Step step step and some more.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Happy tues.
    Doing good with sticking to my plan.Yah.
    Enjoy your day!
    HUGS
    jane