WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Okay, this totally made my day so thought I'd share. On Friday I put my pedometer on before I left the house to run errands because I was going to walk my dog (who is always my automotive co-pilot) after I'd run around. By the time I was done it had gotten very windy and cold so our walk was a really short one. However, when I got home (had been to three different stores along the way) my pedometer had logged 4653 steps!!!!!!! Just running errands! What a rush that is to know, I will be wearing my trusty meter all the time now just for the smile I'll get when I see those steps add up.

Have a lovely Monday all :happy:

Brooke from Colorado
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just sitting here sipping on my green smoothie… I haven’t yet developed the habit of drinking them, but am working on it! I’m planning to help pack boxes for Project Cure tonight. This is my first time. The volunteers all meet at Jason’s Deli for dinner beforehand, so I’m going to need to check out their website and see what I can eat.

Hubby just asked if I wanted to go to Mexico with him next week, but I can’t. :sad: I have a foot doctor appointment (consult #5), Dad has two more VA appointments, and I have various meetings for work. Bummer! I’d love to get away from the cold right now, but will have to wait until March sometime.

Lucy – Oh, my! I’m glad you didn’t get seriously injured when you fell, and hope you’re less sore by now. And to think that the mail is mostly bills and junk anyway….

Sue – I hope you have fun with your grandkids! It sounds like you’re well prepared to make good choices while you’re there.

Glenda – We’ve been renting our condo through the management company down there, but they’re doing a lousy job, so we’re considering doing it ourselves through VRBO. We haven’t quite decided yet, as we’ll still need to pay a percentage to the management company anyway. If you know of anyone wanting a large, beautiful unit down there (3 bdrms, 3 baths), let me know!

50ish Foodie – The bike tour sounds like quite a challenge. Good for you! I guess we know what your oven thought of Brussels sprouts. :laugh: Were you able to replace it?

Meg – What great community service at the mall. Good for you and your students! :flowerforyou: How is the water drinking coming along?

12774 – That is a lot of shoveling! I’m glad that the snowstorm is over, and hope that things are returning to normal by now.

Lori H – Glad that your grandson got to finally go home! :heart:

Sara in Toronto – I always love how beautiful and clean everything looks after a snowfall. You sound like a great daughter! My parents moved here about 18 months ago, and live 6 miles from me. I’m not sure how much longer they can live alone, but for now it’s working out. They’ve just been told to stop driving, so that’s the next challenge.

Barbie – I’m glad to hear that Brandy is feeling back to normal!

Liz – Congrats on your weight loss this week, and passing the 250 barrier!!!! That’s fabulous! :flowerforyou:

Lila – Have a fabulous trip!!!

Laura80111 – It sounds like you had a fun and productive weekend!

Jane in Colorado
  • renate1958
    renate1958 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm so depressed right now. I got up this morning and haven't stopped eating. I'm so full and still I want to eat. I'm so frustrated.

I'm so full and I still want to eat!!

Donna
  • charzz15
    charzz15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Reading about all this weight loss...WOW...I had better get on the wagon!
    Charmaine from Michigan
  • paulipet
    Options
    Hi. Pauli from Belfast Northern Ireland. Back to try again! My one resolution so far is to get off the bus a few stops earlier and walk the rest of the way to work every morning. That and to stop trying to combine mfp with slimming world! Just confusing :). Looking forward to chatting with you all over the months to come. Good luck everybody.
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not a great food day yesterday - a lunch pot luck with roasted elk (?) and ham and buttery roasted potatoes and corn and salad and some delish Dutch almond butter square things....oh my! And my coffee date in the evening involved two shared pizzas. I limited myself to two small slices - but oh, my body was craving some veg!! But today is a new day - with warm temps, bright sunshine and an aquacise class under my belt this morning....so onward and upward (er, downward?):laugh:

Jane (foodie) - the Opera I saw was Der Flaudermaus. It was quite funny and a good intro to the world of opera. I would recommend that one:smile: Good luck on the training for the bike tour. Sounds like a great goal. I hope your sister is okay to do it with you. I had a hip replacement in June and it was mid August before I had permission to drive or sit on a longer flight. That was when I started the aquacise as well. I was in reasonable shape - but certainly no athlete! Good luck to her on the surgery.

Kellie - healthy habits are a great goal - something that you have control over. Good luck with the smoking cessation - so tough but so worth it! I have seen the electronic cigarettes - wasn't too sure what the lady was doing when I first saw it:happy: but she was very kind to explain to me. Sounds like they have much fewer harmful effects.

Lila - Hope you have fantastic trip to visit your daughter. Soon, soon..... So what is the difference between Holland and the Netherlands? I have often wondered why such a small country had so many unrelated descriptors - Holland, Netherlands, Dutch?

Katla - you can check Canadian weather at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca - then you will know how freezing we are up here!:laugh: (actually hasn't been at all bad this winter!!)

Back to work - and hopefully a walk in the sunny plus 12 showing on my thermometer!!

Glenda in southern alberta
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lila, it’s so hard to stay in the moment when anticipating a great trip…..how scary for you with Evie’s recovery from anesthesia…the worst scare for me was when the vet prescribed a tranquilizer for Haifa, the cat, when I had to drive him over the mountains to a new place---I kept waking him up to make sure he wasn’t dead

:flowerforyou: OhioMom,the Isagenix cleanse was originally formulated by a man who was trying to get detoxified from a spider bite….he found out that his formula removed many toxic substances from the cells and had weight loss as a side effect by removing impurities from the cells which allowed the body to release the fat that was protecting the vital organs from the impurities…..the meal replacement shakes I have for one or more meals the other days provide great nutrition in a formula that makes the nutrients easy to absorb in a meal with very low calories. …..about the colonoscopy, I had my first and only so far at age 64 and I did it because of the encouragement and support of the women on this thread…….I ate light the few days before and the liquid diet day was easy when I figured out that I could have apple juice and chicken broth and the liquid prep stuff that my doctor prescribed didn’t taste all that bad….good luck to you.

:bigsmile: Amanda, I’m so happy to hear that your dad is out of the hospital and on the mend.

:flowerforyou: LindaC. I love macaroni casseroles so I never make them because I would eat too much:laugh:

:flowerforyou: 12774, many people give up animal protein for health reasons…

:flowerforyou: Lucy, since I lost weight I am much colder so I wear wool socks, ski underwear, turtlenecks, sweatshirts or sweaters in the house and stay comfortable. I love living in the north and dress extra warm when I go outside (wool is my friend).

:flowerforyou: Tammy, hugs to PepperAnn having to have an enema.

:flowerforyou: Brooke, I carry my pedometer all the time and it is very motivating…..i hope the same is true for you.

:flowerforyou: Donna, I don’t know where you live, but if there’s any way you can go outside and take a walk, that would be good way to attack depression and the munchies.

:flowerforyou: Charmaine, we are so glad to have you join us….the longest journey starts with a single step so today you can take your first step on the path to weight loss….we all started at the beginning, too.

:flowerforyou: Pauli, that is a great resolution to get off the bus a few stops early and walk----it is measurable and modest enough to be accomplished.

:flowerforyou: Glenda, you have a great attitude about putting the major food day behind you and beginning again. Is your weather mild enough to be able to go out for a walk?

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: This has been a super day so far……got up very early to accommodate dog walking and breakfast before being at a meeting that started at 7AM……dog walking and recumbent bike riding before tackling income tax and some phone business with the prescription people at my new medical insurance…..Jake planned, fixed, and cleaned up lunch so I could finish all my chores. Now he is off to take a nap because he has to get up at silly o'clock tomorrow morning to go with a friend who is off to take his final test for citizenship tomorrow in Seattle……that leaves me the luxury of spending my afternoon walking dogs, doing stuff on the computer, and riding the recumbent bike while watching figure skating on TV. It’s raining a bit today but the poodles and I have curly hair so we don’t mind getting wet.:bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.

Resolutions for February
    *Add more yoga stretches to each day
    *Weight training three times a week
    *Act the way I want to feel
    *Put half ounce of walnuts in morning shake

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • brookehe
    Options
    I'm so depressed right now. I got up this morning and haven't stopped eating. I'm so full and still I want to eat. I'm so frustrated.

Donna

Okay Donna, time to get your "groove thang" on . . . right now, go turn on your radio (loud!) and tell yourself you will dance your boogie shoes off for two songs. JUST TWO SONGS. This is only about 6 minutes, but I promise you will feel it and be glad you did. (Promise!) :happy:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    Happy day to you.....and you......and you!

Hope your day is going well. I did get some different athletic gear so I'm no longer tripping on the hems of my old workout pants.

I have shied away from doing any measurements as I really didn't want to know how bad things might be. But I finally did take a waist measurement a few weeks ago. I pretty much only walk but I switch to Leslie Sansone's fat burning type DVDs and have been doing a lot of twisting in these DVDs. I just checked and wow, 2 inches down on my waist. I've got a long way to go but anything I can hack off that area is gratifying. I'm sticking with it. :love:

Thanks again for all the Vit. F. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Best wishes for a successful week.

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • brookehe
    Options
    Happy day to you.....and you......and you!

I just checked and wow, 2 inches down on my waist. I've got a long way to go but anything I can hack off that area is gratifying. I'm sticking with it. :love:

Thanks again for all the Vit. F. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Best wishes for a successful week.

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif

Wow, inches are AWESOME!!! Congrats too on your weight loss to date. REALLY motivating - thanks for sharing!

Brooke in Colorado
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hi, Barbiecat, as regards your comments that many people give up animal proteins because of health reasons is not true. Vegetarians have adopted that dietary life style for many years e.g . for religious purposes. Vegans do not eat meats nor dairy products and eggs. I will be consuming plant-based proteins such as legumes(peas,beans,nuts etc) only for the Lenten season., then I'll be back on my regular diet .
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

Donna

Why are you depressed? Have you seen your doctor? I've lived with depression problems for years and am fighting back with solar temperature lights scattered around the house, antidepressants, and exercise. All three are a help and they make a nice combo. Good luck to you.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Busy busy, busy here with the 4 grandkids. Had a full day except haven't eaten enough. Going to grocery tomorrow to buy some things I need like skim milk, yogurt, veggies, etc.
    Vi - so sorry to hear about your dog, Tara. It's always hard to love a pet as they are part of the family.
    Barbie - glad your puppy is feeling like his old self.
    Liz in Idaho - WTG - you are doing great.
    Kelli - welcome to the group. You'll get lots of Vit F here (F = friendships)
    LindaC - you COULD LICK THE WRAPPER!!!
    Sue in SD - keep on sloughing it will help your legs!
    Jane - I think those brussel sprouts caught your oven on fire.

Little DGD wants to do my exercise video with me so I'm out of here

Sue in TX
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good Monday to the Fab, Fantastic, Februarian Vitamin F’s!

I hope you have all dug out of the snow and ice from the East, and any rain and ice from the other areas….we had a much lighter impact than predicted! :happy:

Have tried to keep up with posts ( can’t) and found my last reply tucked away in my word file, unsent! Sigh! Have marked writing essays for days upon days now, and just spent 3 hours trying to give relevant feedback to each student…. Sometimes you just want to say…Grow Up! You don’t get to dictate what you learn in university; you don’t get to write a response to critical thinking essays that tell me you are not interested in the topic!!!!! :noway:

Thanks for letting me rant… The week will get better, off for a full week next week… :blushing:

Facing a week of eating out, tomorrow…twice; Thursday, Friday Lunch, then next week Monday and Tuesday…( but DH and I are having a getaway…and there are good restaurants where I can ask for what I want). He is wearing pants that have not fit for years… so he will be a natural ally and safeguard! :wink:

So glad to see how many wonderful people join this topic, and how many wonderful pals come back every day! :flowerforyou:

@Lin- lost 2 inches and all that weight! You have really kickstarted again! Now we know it can be done!

@12774 what an interesting idea, going vegan for Lent
    …so very medieval and traditional, when meat was rare…you will be living the real purpose of Lent, good luck!

@ Barbie, its so true, when you have curly hair, you just don’t care about the rain or snow..ok maybe sleet!

@Glenda….hey fess up! Southern Alberta, and your wonderful city, has the most sunlight per year of anywhere! And the warm Chinooks! So its winters are not like those of ….uhmm…Edmonton! So glad you saw a fun opera!

@Pauli….your resolution makes lots of sense to me! The transportation services in Europe are so much better than here in NA…. what a wonderful daily reminder of your commitment….

@Jane Wahhh!! I would be upset too….you deserve a trip to Mexico, sooner than later…yeah, those sandwich generation responsibilities can be tough too!

@ Brooke – that is so inspiring! All those steps from the errands….wish my new Fitbit was here!

@ Mary, with my second favourite black poodle ( and I love all of them!) I know what you mean about busy, and it is Monday….whew, the extra time and effort and I am exhausted already. Have a good week!

@Donna, if you can feel frustrated, you can also feel joy, pain, and the kind of satisfaction that comes from taking care of yourself, and you are here to do just that!

@LucyT – what great recipe do you have for Brussels ? Without bacon….the boys are trying to eat more greens, buy I have got to have non- offensive greens.

@ Katia, I have a pooch that needs grooming, but I don’t want them to shave him down in Feb…he freezes and has to wear a coat….so I clipped his paws and face, and he was quite happy about it all! Who knew? The non-stop treats helped out too!

@LindaC – congrats on the stable weeks with no gains!

@DeeDee – was down on water for the first time in forever, and thought of you right away today…drink your water…. Now to follow your example with exercise!

@ 50ishFoodie….ummm egg whites I get, what is egg white burrito? Thanks, looking for new ideas for the ol’ morning whites !

@Meg, hope the book is going well, some quiet around the house really helps !
    And you like Brussels too? What are roasted ones???? How hot, how long?

@aroundthemulberry - I am trying so hard to find foods with higher magnesium, iron, and potassium….any ideas? Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

@ yoyo – Deb, can hardly read your post about the loss of dear dogs without a wee tear …..we have grieved so hard sometimes…..and we are so fearful of losing our four footed boy…. Can’t imagine he is 8, when he plays like he is 2!

ok, we are worried about losing our son to grad school too, will be the first time DH has had a childless house in 42 years…..can’t reconcile myself to that either! :cry:

Welcome to all the new people, sorry if I have missed you or some others, this is all I had time for this evening! :flowerforyou:

Have a good week, looking forward to your posts! :drinker:

BJ Southwestern Ontario
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hello my fine friends. I have had a great day today. I finally kicked my own butt and decided I’d better get back on track; [confession time] my weight has crept up 3.2 pounds over the last 3 weeks. That’s enough! Last week might have been partly due to sodium because I had way too much salt, but that doesn’t explain all of it. So today I ate well and did some great exercising and feel fabulous. I also feel great because I finally sent that stupid chapter 18 in!!!

We had a nice visit with the new adoptive parents from Russia last night. Only 2 kids were home; the others were with their other parents for the weekend (they are a blended family). The little girl is darling, very petite, and boy was she thrilled to hear Tatiana speaking Russian. She even smiled at my “mom Russian”. Tatiana (DD#1) is going to babysit this weekend.

Around the mulb: great info on magnesium. When I start getting lots of muscle spasms, I start taking it.

Liz: great job on the weight loss! That is incredible!!!

Tammy: I am both a nurse and a teacher! I’ve been an RN for 33 years and my background is trauma. I have been a professor of nursing now for nearly 18 years. I too feel very connected here!

Deb: I sure hope you get over that sinus infection soon. This has been going on forever!

12774: take it easy after all that snow shoveling. 10” doesn’t sound too bad when you hear about some places getting 30+”

Jo: it was so hard last night to not put my two cents’ worth in when that mother told me she does not believe in vaccinations of any kind so opts her kids out of all of them. GULP Being a nurse that is a passion of mine!

Sue: I have heard that walking in sand burns more calories and tones the legs.

Ohiomom: hope your day was productive! Get well soon! DON’T dilute the colonoscopy prep in anything other than water unless the directions say it’s ok! If you are drinking the big jug, place it in a tub of ice. Drink 2 glasses an hour before you are supposed to start. That way your gut starts working faster when you start drinking it for real and you won’t get so bloated. Sorry I’m being bossy! It’s the nurse in me!

Ldypsych: well we had the spaghetti squash tonight. It was very good. I was surprised that is was crunchy. It was so funny to see DD#2’s face when she finally figured out that there was no actual pasta in the dish. I kept explaining it to her and she just didn’t get it!

Jane: hope your rough food nights are all over with now. Such a cute pic!

Betsyann: I’ll be putting in my dinner order soon. Good thing for you that I am easy to please, but I might have to have some of all you fixed!

Barbiecat :enjoy that breakfast!

Determined: good news on your weight loss.

Viv: my heart is so sad for your beloved pet

Lila:nice to see you again! Have a great trip!!!

DebCNY: congratulations to your son for his grammy! That is definitely a WOW!

Amanda: sending get well wishes to dad and hugs to you for caring so!

Linda: how did your weigh in go?

Katla: the groomer might want to start in on you if you show up in your jammies!

Lucy: I’m glad you’re starting to recover from your fall. Take care

Jane: the water drinking is better…still not enough but getting there. Had 8 glasses today. How are things going at home with hubby and DS? Too bad you can’t get away to Mexico!

Donna: deep breath! Why are you depressed? Just take some baby steps

YIKES I just got the low battery alert on the laptop, so I need to sign off now. Take care everyone! Meg from Omaha
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I just now found this thread/ I hope it's OK to join in this late in the game. I am 62, have MS so I am limited in some things. So far the only weight I can lift is my 213 pound body off the couch to take a walk.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot went on in here today. It's getting we have to check 3 or 4 times a day just to keep up. LOL.
    I just came to the last page tonight it's almost bedtime. I just come checked in after quilting that is taking a lot of my spare time. But I want to get it done. It looks nice I didn't realize how much work hand quilting is. Good pass time.

Today I had a good day. Did some walking but not enough my pedometer doesn't mark half my steps. Oh well I know when I do good or not. And today exercise wasn't good enough. But food gets. an A+ LOL.

Well see you in the morning.
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! Just a quick check-in.
    Took a giant salad to work today. Figure it was about 6 cups of raw veggies. I was stuffed. Renny's challenges sure have spurred me to eat more veg!

Didn't get much exercise today, tho. Just ran out of time.

Aroundthemulb - thanks for the info on magnesium. I tried supplements for a while, but they really didn't help much. I plan to ask the orthopedic specialist when I see him later this month about my hip. I will try epsom salts in the meantime.

Sue in SD - I was born and raised in RC, SD - have relatives in Canton. Went to college in MPLS, so totally relate to your winter blues.

Ohiomomof2 - I scheduled my colonoscopy as my 50th birthday "gift." Woo. Recently produced some videos about the colon prep experience. Read all the instructions and follow them closely. DO NOT HEAT unless it says it's OK. Could change the chemical reaction. Cut back on solid foods 24-48 hours before hand. Set up your "command post" in the loo and resign yourself to sitting for a while. Some extra soft TP helps, too. It's not great, but not horrible. Most stories are worse than the reality. Plug your nose when you drink, and drink fast. That's all I got...

Donna - I am concerned about your depression. Glad that you reached out to the group. Do not give in to despair. My favorite reminder in times of stress is "This, too, shall pass." Helps get me pass my obsessions and anxiety.

Glenda - good info on the hip surgery. Thanks for sharing. I hope my sis isn't disappointed with the speed of recovery.

BJ - I make almost all egg dishes with egg whites/egg beaters now. Potato-crust quiche, omelets, etc. This time, I scrambled them with peppers and onions (often use hot chilis) and filled a medium tortilla. Top with hot sauce and a sprinkle of cheese, if you want.
    I have a friend who makes them with the boca sausage (chopped), peppers, onions, and cheese, and then freezes them individually. Then when she's in a hurry, she pops one in the micro and has a hot breakfast in minutes, with no dishes...

Have a great week, all. Will check in later!
    Jane in SLC
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi All, last night in NA for a bit. Everything is done, house is sparkling, furniture covered, fridge cleaned, everything freezable in the freezer (hate to waste things), garbage and recycling done, instructions for animals’ sitter written, everything packed and ready to roll out the door. Now what do I do for the rest of the night…….

Deb – congratulations to your son, he must be so proud of his work. A Grammy is a pretty amazing proof of his talent.

Ohiomom – hope you feel better quickly (just sleep it away if you can). No advice to give about the colonoscopy (I’m still avoiding dealing with it).

Amanda – glad to hear your dad is home again.

Donna – if you are really depressed, I am glad you mentioned it. What can we do to help you with it? If you need to talk, we’re here. If you need encouragement to go get help, we’re here. I’m pretty sure that depression has been in a few lives here so I’m glad you reached out.

Lucy – I just never realized that the Netherlands had so many non European lands. Although I should have as I am a history buff and Holland rocked the financial world for a long time.

JaneH – you really are a great daughter to give up Mexico.

Meg – crunchy spaghetti squash? Maybe I’ve been cooking mine too long but I’ve never had it crunchy. How did you cook it?

Linda C– dying to see your quilt, can you post a picture when done? I admire handwork.

Jane in SLC – I also use that panacea to get through stress times. It just grounds me and sometimes a reality check is needed.

OK, off to read and double check everything. Talk to you in a couple of weeks.

Lila (Kootenays (not so sunny today, kind of gray) in SE BC)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to ask for any tips and tricks you may have for surviving the prep for a colonoscopy. I have to admit that I have avoided having my first one for several years because I hear such horror stories about the stuff you have to drink. Well, one of my resolutions for this year was to have this done so my appointment is next Monday.:ohwell:

I've heard a few ideas from friends and so far, the best idea seems to be dissolving the powder in chicken stock and heat it for a few seconds so it resembles one of those "to-go" cans of soup. If you have a tried and true suggestion, I would love to hear it!

Hope everyone's day is going well!

The stuff I bought was a liquid concentrate that we used with lots of added water. I drank it while sitting on the "throne." Good thing, too. It tasted a bit like Koolaid, but it is very rapidly effective. I remained on the "throne" for a L O N G time. You need to do this in order to have a baseline. A good friend had colon cancer found because of this test, and the treatment wasn't pleasant but it is done with and she will live. Catching colon cancer early and getting good treatment is a life or death matter.

Katla in NW Oregon