WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you are having a great day. I’m getting some work done in my office. Our builder is coming by tonight with finalized plans for our garage. We are finally getting around to organizing and finishing it. It’s a 5-car garage with room for only 2 cars…barely! Today is supposed to be in the 40s again and sunny, so that will be nice after several days of overcast and rainy. I’ll be doing yoga on the wii fit tonight. The warrior pose is great for the legs! I’m piling on the vitamin C because of course don’t you know I feel a cold or something coming on. I have never had so much sickness in a year!!!

Jmkmomm; welcome to our group. Getting up and walking is fine exercise!

LinC: I love to quilt but I do it all by hand and get discouraged, so I have lots of half-finished projects laying around the house!

Lila: I had a recipe for spaghetti squash and pasta sauce that called for cutting it in half long ways, covering it with plastic cling wrap, and baking it. The squash itself was soft and shredded easily but it definitely had a crunch to it. Not like potato chips, but a definite crunch. Have a great trip!

Michele: I have never watched Downton Abbey but keep thinking I will. How is it?

Linda Sunshine: glad you found a way to exercise with less stress on your knee. Weren’t you planning a knee replacement soon?

Sunshine: maybe that weight gain was water retention….I bloat like a balloon when I fly

Jo: what’s a cosisie?

DeeDee: yay for some sunshine!

Barbie: I shall use your advice from the happiness project to clean and organize my office at home! It’s a piled-up mess!

Jodios: yea, what happened to that guy? Maybe all the hormone shifting scared him!

Lucy: 5# weights are surprisingly heavy! I used them when I did step class but it took me a while to build up to them!

Katla: you crack me up. I think Disney is a cult! I don’t understand giving up for lent either…I know it is very meaningful for some people who do it very thoughtfully, but I always felt hypocritical to give something up for 40 days and then go right back to it.

Janehadji: Are your guests up for something hot and spicy? Try 2-3 blocks of cream cheese with one jar of Sweet Heat Candied Jalapenos! YUMMY but hot!

Jane: best wishes for your friend’s recovery and hope you had a great Violet day!

Well, time to get back to looking productive! One day I will fool them all. Take care, Meg
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

I am so pleased to be sat down for five minutes! I seem to be rushing around like a bee with two stings. At least I'm getting my exercise in!

No time to read all the posts, but I hope everyone is well and not suffering too much from the cold weather. I need to be warmer!

Anyway, onwards and upwards my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Happy Mardi Gras! I limited myself to a tiny slice of King cake, no baby, so I am feeling quite well-behaved, considering.
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Lovely day celebrating grandsons birthday. Went for a family swim as it half term hols. Translation from last post cosisie = slang for swimming costume. Then out for a meal , then birthday cake and finally just one pancake for shrove Tuesday. In my world calories don't count on birthdays! will do a rough count i think to log.

Now two GD tucked up in bed for a sleep over (birthday boy is too young as still being fed by mum)

We managed to catch all the tossed pancakes too!!

So back to water logging foods and more training tomorrow.

Enjoy Jo
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :happy: Here it is Tuesday, already! Time flies. Had a lovely extra long weekend; took Friday as a vacation day, and yesterday our province had its very first February statutory holiday, called family day. And family day it was. We celebrated my DH birthday for friends on Sunday and with our kids on Monday. All tons of fun, but also plenty of work.

Today, I am eating left over raw veggies from yesterday with hummus, and a fruit salad for my afternoon snack. Not sure what dinner will bring, perhaps leftover tomato soup.

ttyl - gotto get my lunch walk in
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Marking my spot on February Part 2:wink:

Meg- Downton Abbey is WONDERFUL:love: Hubby and I are loving it and have been loaning out our Season 1 & 2 DVD's to family so they can get caught up. Season 3 has been quite full of surprises and we will be catching up on Sundays part 5 or is it 6 tonight after dinner.

Must get back at it...:drinker: still drinking plenty of water.

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What a chatty bunch we are:laugh: ! Just saving my place for later!

Drink some water:drinker:!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee:drinker: in NC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot. Have a pile of papers to grades and lesson plans to write! Looking forward to next week's vacation!
    Deb A from CNY
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just responded to everybody!!!! It took a long time!!! And it just said, 'the topic is locked" when I submitted it. Oh boy.
  • MTGWW
    MTGWW Posts: 34
    Options
    Hello everyone. Had my friend here last week and we went on a little getaway together, then she ended up being stuck here for a few extra days because of the snowstorms. 3 feet in one night in her town of Portland Maine. All flights to the NE cancelled. Anyhow, I did not stay on program at all. Let's just say fun cocktails and really yummy breakfasts and dinners were involved. I do not do well under these circumstances. So Monday came and It was time to reintroduce myself to discipline and accountability. A little hard, but I'm back in the swing. I have not weighed, I'm giving myself a few days. I'm have afraid that I gained the 5 pounds back in 5 days that it took me a month to lose. Please God don't let it be so. Anyways, this weekend my new fitbit came. So it's fun and motivating to have this new toy. I was a little dissappointed to realize that some of my assumptions were wrong. Like: because it's so talked about on MFP, I assumed when it said it would sync your steps, that meant they would go on to my exercise log, in MFP. I didn't realize it would be a totally different site. So I'm wondering, do any of you add your steps to the exercise portion of your day, and how do you count them:? Also, yesterday being the first day I tried it, I realize I have a lot of work to do. Yesterday, I did some light cleaning for a couple of hours,, went shopping at Target for about 1 1/2 hours and worked out for an hour and only logged 7, 567 steps. And that was a reasonably active day. It's going to take quite a bit of effort I see to get me up to 10,000 steps. I'm going to have to look for things to do. Well here is to being much more active:drinker:
    Love reading everyones post. Thanks for the good support.

Karen/ Mi.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hope Fat Tuesday didn't live up to its reputation for any of us...saving my spot.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Exercised this morning, did an hour of HIIT on the elliptical. Haven't done that in a while. I wasn't sure how long I could do it, but I didn't have any problem. This time instead of watching the "steps/minute" I watched the mets. Just something a little bit different and that made the time go by so much faster (or so it seemed). Tomorrow we have the general meeting for the Newcomers and then senior bowling. I'll do a step DVD

After exercise I went to Target for cat litter. It wasn't a really good sale, but I was able to save $7 so that made it pretty good. Then stopped at the mall to return a sweater that I really didn't care for, then to WalMart to do some shopping, then home to give Loki his med, then went to this vitamin place (I thought it was the place that I had a coupon for but that place is in the mall, so maybe next time), went to Walgreens to get canned salmon they had on sale, stopped at Lowes to get the soda (they stopped putting the full price in their ad so WalMart couldn't price match it) and spinach, then went to mahjongg (maj'd twice!), on the way home stopped at Dunkin Donuts for Vince, now I'm home cooking the potatoes in the microwave that we'll have for dinner or else I'll freeze them for when we get back from FL. Just put a lod of laundry in the dryer.

Liz in ID - please explain the lazy river part to me.

PositivePower - I for some reason always thought you needed to somehow bolt the TRX to a doorframe or beam. This sounds really interesting. I'd love to know more about it. My DVR is always set to record Dr. Oz (and a few other shows)

Linda Sundace - I'm like you, I take some of the things that Dr. Oz promotes with a grain of salt. Like he promoted weight loss by drinking white tea, so I tried it -- it didn't work. But he does bring up some interesting thoughts.

Sunshine - welcome back! Glad you had a good time. That weight will come off in no time at all.

Tonight while Vince is gone shooting, I'll make these lemon bars for bunco. I made a red velvet cheesecake for one gal, but one gal can't have chocolate so I'll make the lemon bars for her.

Lin - When my aunt made those quilts for the girls, Denise wanted this 1001 Dalmations quilt. I just told Vince "there is no way on this green earth that I'm donating a handmade quilt to the Salvation Army so that Denise can have something from WalMart." I'm sure it'll be greatly appreciated

Lucy in DE - wonderful that you're going to be mixing things up, not doing the same thing over and over. Our bodies get used to the same exercise if that's all we do and then we don't burn much. Good for you! Those random acts of kindness for Lent sounds really interesting. One year I was going to go to an assisted living home a few times a week, but really, the ladies I was seeing really couldn't have seemed to have cared much. I thought they would welcome company. What kinds of acts are you thinking?

fiferize - welcome! Come back and tell us more about yourself, inquiring minds want to know....lol

Meg - wow! A 5 car garage. I won't mention that to Vince, he'll want one....lol So you have lots of craft projects that are WOP's, too, huh (works in progress)? Wish I could tell you more about Downtown Abbey. I've only seen two episodes. I guess I need to catch up. One of the things that to me is very interesting is the mindset of people in the times. Like last week this one guy who is homosexual was fired from his job and didn't get any refrerence. Something like that would NEVER happen today. I think there's supposed to be some sort of DA marathon on TV this Sunday, I suppose I should watch it, maybe even record it. One year I gave up white flour for Lent. To this day, I don't care for white bread, etc. I would rather have whole wheat (100%)

Karen from MI - those surprise delays can be so much fun. Glad you had a great time and are now getting back in the swing of things

To celebrate fat tuesday I had a bit of sugar. Now I really don't care for anything.

Hope everyone has a great evening. Need to finish my food log for the day. Want to post this to mark my spot.

Michele from NC
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! I hope it’s been a great day for you all. Weather was very nice here in central Ohio which really perked people’s moods up. Enjoying it while it lasts; I hear a little snow is on the way!

Thanks for the colonoscopy prep suggestions and advice. DH thinks I may be over-thinking this but I wanted to have a few ideas before-hand and will try one or two of them.

Meg – good for you for kicking your own butt and for sending your chapter off.

Donna – I hope you are feeling better about things today. If not, please find someone to talk to – a friend, family member or a counselor of some sort. Just articulating your feelings and the things that are bothering you can be so helpful.

Lila – have a wonderful time visiting with your DD!

Dee Dee – I hope your headache is gone – so hard to have a good day when your head hurts.

Today was the final day of the Dietbet.com game that I have been participating in. I tried it out, just to see if it would give me that extra motivation I had been lacking. You try to lose 4% of your body fat in a 4-week period. Those who meet the goal share in the “pot” – the cumulative amount paid in by all of the participants. I am happy to say that I not only met my goal of 8 pounds but actually lost 12 pounds during the month. I think I’m going to join another game, just to keep the motivation going. (Silly, I know but whatever works, right?)

Hope you all have a wonderful evening!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    bump
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jake is home from his adventure in Seattle. He drove his friend to Homeland Security for his final test and interview for citizenship and then watched him take the oath and become a US citizen.

:flowerforyou: I was pretty energetic all day even though I got up at 1:45 AM but when I thought about doing my regular weight training routine, I had a huge sinking spell and decided that the dog walking and recumbent bike riding I’d done would have to suffice for exercise today.

:flowerforyou: Lucy, I created my at home weight training program starting with the program in “Strong Women Stay Young”…..the author suggests starting with very light weights and gives you ways to tell when you’re ready to increase the weight so you don’t hurt yourself.

:flowerforyou: Karen from MI, when spring comes and you can walk outdoors, you’ll be able to get those 10,000 steps every day…….walking outdoors is the main source of my steps.

:flowerforyou: Renny, my snack today was three cups of frozen mixed vegetables….you have inspired me.

:flowerforyou: I don’t know anything about giving things up for Lent, but I know that during Passover when we don’t eat anything made with grain of any sort except special Kosher for Passover matzo, I feel closer to G_d and my faith each time I make eating plans to comply with the guidelines. Eight days of eating different foods required a special kind of mindfulness. One year we realized that after eight days of not having juice bars (made with corn syrup) that could actually live without them and we haven’t eaten them since…..however, I do like the idea of doing something spiritual instead of giving something up (the random acts of kindness every day)

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for 2013 is “Stretch” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to stretch my body and stretch myself personally by improving skills and trying new things.

Resolutions for February
    *Add more yoga stretches to each day
    *Weight training three times a week
    *Act the way I want to feel
    *Put half ounce of walnuts in morning shake

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Meg - you have to check out Downton Abbey. It is addicting. Best of all you can watch it on line at PBS for free - they have all three seasons up. I started watching Season 1 over winter break and ended up watching the first 2 seasons in just a couple of weeks. Just so you don't think all I did was watch each season has less than 10 shows.
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump:smile: Eileen near San Diego
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

This evening was our monthly dinner with my DH's family. Each month we pick a place to meet for dinner. This month it was Rib Crib. Do you realize that they do not post their nutitional information? I even went to the corporate website. I thought you had to have that available. :grumble: I tried to make the best choice, and logged it as if I ate at another BBQ place (because they have information available!!). I figure I was close but it really irritated me that the info wasn't available.

On a lighter note, I'm 2 pounds lighter than I was 2 weeks ago!!:happy:

I plan to do a bunch more cleaning around the house again tomorrow as I have been WAY behind!:ohwell: Yesterday, I cleaned (and I mean CLEANED) the kitchen, living room, dining room and main bathroom. Tomorrow includes our bedroom, the office and the downstairs family room. :noway: I think I must be ready for spring getting a jump on the spring cleaning!:laugh:

Hope everyone's Wednesday is fabulous!

Lori H
    Southwestern Missouri
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Renny, my snack today was three cups of frozen mixed vegetables….you have inspired me.
    :heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Oh my, Barbie...I am inspiring my DH too!! he just bought a nutri-bullet (I think that's what it is called). He is coming more and more on board with healthy eating, 'cause - although that skinny minny has no worries about weight - he does have arthritis problems, which are becoming more and more painful. So, he is becoming increasingly more interested in what he is consuming (frankly, what did he care before?? :angry: :grumble: )

Barbie, I also really like your quote: "The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed." I must keep reminding myself!!!

So, the 10K training has me training 3x/week. Today I asked a co-worker/friend to come with me. So glad she said yes, because we chatted the whole 45 minutes! And...I am almost at 10,000 steps for the day!

:laugh: I put out so many fresh fruits and veggies out for DH's birthday bash, I had them as leftovers for lunch and snacks today! Which was a good move, because it was a very, very busy work day and I had no time to think about making/preparing anything. Just shove the stuff into my lunch bag and find the time to eat it. I kinda like those kind of days.

We had some friends over this past weekend (again thanks to DH birthday) and found that one of them was losing weight drastically for no reason whatsoever and he has no energy. This does not make sense and is so worrisome. We had not seen them in a while. Anyway, I don't know why I am mentioning this. Just that it is worrisome.

:flowerforyou: On another note (I am all over the place) my mom is turning 90 on Sunday. Our family can't be there (we live about, say 6000 miles away), but instead we recorded a video when the kids were over yesterday. We intend to make it a utube, so the fam. can play it at her birthday bash. Cool idea or what? I love my mom, classy sassy lady that she is!!:flowerforyou:

That is about it for today.
    :heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC. where the sun was shining at lunchtime and storming at dinner time:ohwell:
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump .... I agree about Downton Abbey, very addicting and a fascinating look at another time.

Trying to rise above my Feburary Funk....

hugs to all,

Kate