WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I thought I was only two pages behind and was so excited....only to discover we had moved on to a new topic page!! I was at the doctor today for a weigh in and was disappointed to see no loss after a fairly good week :cry: but I will keep on!!

Bj -yes we do get the chinooks here but this is warm even for here - days and days of above zero. and I do love the sunshine!:heart::happy: Did you get buried is SW Ont in this last dump of snow. My son is in Hamilton and they got LOTS! (and in defence of Edmonton, it was slushy when I was there the end of January, albeit -42 days after I left!)

JaneH - YAY! I am so excited that you get to go to Mexico. Say hello to my ocean and the beach. Enjoy!:smile:

Fat Tuesday, if I remember correctly, is the day before Lent - the day to use up and be rid of all the the fat and sugar in the kitchen in preparation for Lent.(Hence the pancakes and syrup:happy: ) It is interesting that this 'denial' was actually leading to a better diet! I really like what Barbie said about the celebration of Passover and the idea of mindfulness. The Lent season( the Easter equivalent of Advent I imagine) is then preparing my heart for the celebration of Christ's sacrifice by making a sacrifice myself, - simply a means to make me mindful, to make me think. I kind of like that - whether it is a giving up or a 'doing':smile:

Be well ladies...be mindful.

glenda
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Is it tradition to make pancakes in the USA on Shrove Tuesday? We don't fling them we toss them in the air in the pan when we want to cook them on the other side! We even have races where you toss then whilst racing. When I was teaching I would make them with the Nursery children ( Kindergarten ? Age 3 -4) Definately no syrup!!!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Around here there are traditional Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinners. And in Liberal, Kansas, they have big celebrations with a pancake race every year and race against the women in Olney, England.

So here I am, peeking in again, 2 days later and still too busy to chat. Hope you are all doing well!

Mary from Kansas, where it is either hot or cold, depending on the moment that you check
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do you have room for another 50+ woman on here? I REALLY need some motivation on my eating habits .... Ugh! My workouts consist of some serious cardio and weights, kickboxing, and circuit at least 3 days a week. I've been working out regularly for about 2 years and have gone from a size 14 down to a size 10 ... but haven't lost ANY weight. I know it is what I'm eating ... I was raised on meat and potatoes and I can't seem to break the habit.

HELP!

Beth in SC

Oh my goodness Beth! Who needs to lose weight if you've gone from a 14 to a 10!! Awesome job! You must be really healthy!:smile: Welcome to the group!

Tammy in Va Beach
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to save my place for later.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Lucy in DE - if your son has gout, it IS very painful. Vince has it.

jb - I have to pencil in exercise every day or else I know me, and I'd find a rason why I couldn't do it.

tammy in VA beach - I don't like anything with aspertame in it. Now Vince doesn't have a problem, but to me it has an awful aftertaste. I'm a big tea and water drinker. Not much for coffee, tho

Jane in CO - I'm so glad that you're getting to go to Mexico. What a wonderful son you have to do this for you!

Beth in SC - welcome! There's ALWAYS room for more (just like jello). Wow, going rom a size 14 to a size 10. That's just wonderful

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

Michele in NC
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Do you have room for another 50+ woman on here? I REALLY need some motivation on my eating habits .... Ugh! My workouts consist of some serious cardio and weights, kickboxing, and circuit at least 3 days a week. I've been working out regularly for about 2 years and have gone from a size 14 down to a size 10 ... but haven't lost ANY weight. I know it is what I'm eating ... I was raised on meat and potatoes and I can't seem to break the habit.

HELP!

Beth in SC

You are doing fantastic! In terms of food, I've been using Cooking Light. I've got a couple of cook books and get the magazine. The recipes are easy and tasty. You can make comfort food or try new stuff. Even my husband likes these dishes. I also exercised a lot but when I started watching my calories and using Cooking Light I've started dropping weight. Welcome to our group :smile:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot. Meaningful Ash Wednesday service at church and a small devotional booklet written by different members to read during the season.
    Gail, metro Atlanta
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Just checking in Ladies. Not much time to chat. It is always great to read all the happenings in the group. I will check back sometime tomorrow...All the best, Mary in TN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Renny, it’s often hard for people who don’t have a weight problem to understand the need to eat better for the sake of their health and longevity…….I read today that by 2050 there will be over 600,000 centenarians and I plan to be one of them…vegetables are part of my strategy to get there.

:flowerforyou: Tammy, my hubby gave up his huge Diet Pepsi habit a few years ago and has been very happy with the decision….good luck to you

:flowerforyou: Beth in SC……the best way to break the meat and potatoes habit is to start today to add other foods to your daily food plan…..be open minded to new ideas and little by little you can make changes.

:flowerforyou: Janehadji, how great that you get to go to Mexico...congrats to your husband on his citizenship even if it was a long time ago

:bigsmile: today we met with the attorney and signed our new wills so that chore is done......then we did some of the more thankless pieces of the income tax preparation including e mailing the accountant with a couple of questions.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    Wow just finished reading all the posts - what a busy group of ladies

Meg - The pistachio/brussel sprouts sounds delicious..those are 2 of my favorite things

Michele in NC - what a great idea giving coupons to the Humane Society

Deb in CNY - how exciting for your son and you!

Lori H - Congrats on grandson and happy he's home - Grandchildren are such a blessing

Ohiomom - I also drank the prep COLD thru a straw..not too bad

Have a great day tomorrow and thanks for the Vit F

Colleen
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I believe I have lost 3 lbs since my last post here. Yea! I have been working out pretty heavy and for me that is the key to losing it (in more ways than one)!

Physical Therapy is going well. I have always had issues with my repaired knee - well I now know why..my kneecap was stuck down by scar tissue. I went to a Dr D.O. and he additionally had me take xrays today. Hopefully no more damage! All this to help fix my siatic issues.

Getting old(er) is for the brave. Let,s all hang in there! Nice to hear from all of you!

Jo from Colorado
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello

Just caught up on all of your posts. Will be back later to reply. Going to bed just exhausted. Busy days at work.

So going straight to bed.

Liz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We went to the acupuncturist today and she wasn't there. Later learned that she'd notified us to come tomorrow instead, so we're going back tomorrow. Somehow the notice didn't get posted onto our calendar.

I must have some illness, but I'm not sure what. I feel lousy, have a headache and over ate today. AARRGGGHHH! I'm going to bed and hope tomorrow is better.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who answered my query last week about a recommendation re: a full-body scale. I got several for the EatSmart ESBS-01, which I ordered today to CELEBRATE MY 1st MINI-GOAL OF 10 LBS. LOST !!!!! Feels good to have something to celebrate. Your kind words of support along the way so far are soooo appreciated. :drinker:

Brooke from Colorado
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good morning gorgeous girls around the world.

This is just a flying visit to mark my spot. We are still crazy busy at work but i must get my act together & start making regular visits again. It helps me stay on track.

Welcome to our new ladies - this is a great place:love: And I discover there are other quilters here too!

Hugs to all.

Geri in UK
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I started watching Downton Abby last night. Thanks for the tip that they are on PBS. First one was "ok". I was glad that Bates got pulled out of the carriage at the last minute. We aren't "in love" with the show, but we've heard so many good things about it that we'll keep watching it for a while. I LOVE the fact that there are no commercials!

DeeDee2211 - Thank you so much! I will be working on the blog today. Trying to get 2 more days done. They will be out of order as my mom is really interested in our food tour as we are taking her to Rome in April.

LucyT4dieting - our youngest has gout too. He's 27 (he's also the one I have the weight loss bet with) and he was very unhappy. His doctor told him he was surprised as it is an "old rich man's disease" ..... and he's young, poor but yes, he enjoys his scotch, cigars and beer. He just tells everyone it's arthritis instead.

50ishfoodie - I'm gradually cutting back on my caffeine. At one point I drank 2 pots of coffee in the morning and then between 6-9 diet cokes a day. Now I am down to 0 diet cokes and about 1/2 pot of coffee in the morning. I REALLY enjoy that half pot so I'm going real slow about stopping that.

janehadji - have fun in Mexico! I just LOVE getting away and relaxing .... of course I didn't do any relaxing in Rome but I could have! Have a margarita for me!

Laura80111 - feel better soon!

ekafont - Welcome! I just joined last month and the ladies here are wonderful!

megblair1 - We frequently get together with our pastors. When we are back in the US hubby will have breakfast at least once with the pastor of our church there. And here in Norway, we try to have the pastor and his family and the assistant pastor and his family over every other month or so (separately). We've been told (in the past with a different pastor) that they really enjoy a chance to connect and relax instead of being put on a pedestal and their Christianity examined all the time. We also enjoy the time to just let them know how much we appreciate them.

nanasorchid52 - I've never heard of pancakes on "Shrove Tuesday" (is that the same as Fat Tuesday?). In our family growing up, we never gave up things for Lent .... I was thinking this was a Catholic thing but my mom now gives up things for Lent and she is not Catholic.

Patchworkpers - good morning UK lady from Norway!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

Up very early trying to catchup on house work just maintenance stuff dishes etc but if dont get done just make easy things hard when I let things build up makes me up tight when simple things are done I can relax. We are in this fixed upper as I have mention no dishwasher except me. When we move in my DH promise we get one shortly now 2 years later still not done. Growing up my family dishwashers was us kids. I have no problem washing a dish but ... so told DH to make that our anniversary gift /my birthday.

@Michele the lazy river is a part of the pool that goes around like a track it has currant s to it you can just float. Around or if you jog or walk etc gives resistence.

@janeH have fun in Mexico!
    @Sunshine - we have always try to have a personal relationships with our pastors. Having them into our home even when we live in our small apartment. It helps them to know the Body, us to know them better so we can help them and like you said yo show our support.

Heading to the gym this morning planning to walk the treadmill.

Wishing everyone a good morning
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine`s Day beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Hope this day if filled with joy, happiness and tons of love for you all!!! Instead of eating the sweets, show your sweetness to the world today!

On this beautiful cold morning I am going to my 4th training session..brrr! Sounds like a great way to start the day:bigsmile: !

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Laura:smile: Sure hope you get to feeeling better:flowerforyou: !

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny but cold NC
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely Valentine ladies

I've been for a check up at the hospital this morning. Got a bit of a telling off from the doctor because my weight has dropped again. He said that I have to treat food as if it was a prescription - take the correct dose of the correct stuff at regular times. Makes sense. I don't actually bother changing my ticker to reflect my weight loss these days - but I'm probably a little too low. It doesn't help that I'm forever rushing about. Still - must try harder.

DH has another book commission, which means endless research for me! I don't mind as it's all interesting stuff. Plus he'll have me doing more Latin translation for him - which I love.

Having just got into work (half day because of hospital), I guess I'd better actually do some.

My love to you all.

Amanda x