WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hello to all -- had a good friend stay over last night and we spent the day together sewing. DH is out of town for the weekend. Egg white omelettes with spinach / cheddar cheese, and a couple pieces of bacon for breakfast, salad at lunch, then had sweet potatos, roasted brussel sprouts and roasted eggplant for dinner.

Lots of posts already - read through all. Welcome to the new ones, glad to see others return and hope that all who are ill will soon be on the mend.

Gail, in cold, windy metro-Atlanta
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Well I have been walking my horse in the deep sand of the arena for two weeks, a little more each time and I guess there are hidden blessings in everything if you look hard enough. I can't say I have lost a lot of weight or my legs look a lot better but I definitely think they are getting stronger as it seems my lap swimming is going easier. My DH and I are off to Pipestone, MN tomorrow with a group from church in a limousine to see a play and have dinner. I sing in two choirs at church so will eat a good breakfast, take a protein bar to eat after church and then we are off. That should give me a few extra calories to eat at the restaurant.
    I love reading all the posts and the very genuine care you all seem to have for each other. Keep on keeping on and blessings to all! Sue from SD
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: Meg, the salmon burgers we had yesterday were packaged ones from Costco.......other times I cook a piece of salmon that Jake caught and froze and crumble the salmon and mix it with either matzo meal or oatmeal and an egg and make patties....we eat them without a bun and season them with a low sodium salsa that Jake makes or Cholula hot sauce.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hello to all -- had a good friend stay over last night and we spent the day together sewing. DH is out of town for the weekend. Egg white omelettes with spinach / cheddar cheese, and a couple pieces of bacon for breakfast, salad at lunch, then had sweet potatos, roasted brussel sprouts and roasted eggplant for dinner.

Lots of posts already - read through all. Welcome to the new ones, glad to see others return and hope that all who are ill will soon be on the mend.

Gail, in cold, windy metro-Atlanta

What a yummy supper you had (said she, who is salivating)! Tonight the meal was Mexican Stuffed Peppers (bell peppers of all colors were on sale, stuffed and froze four meals!) and kale sauteed with garlic and red pepper flakes. I only ate half a pepper 'cuz I ate so much kale! Lovely ladies, hope your weekend is glorious (what's left of it)!

Brooke from Colorado
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    barbie - I go for a BDS once/year. Hope yours turns out well.

Kate from Alberts - I hear ya about all the cords. We have a base in our kitchen(called a power supply). It holds cords for 4 different items (camera, phone, bluetooth, my iPod). The cords are wrapped up in the base with the connector sticking out. When I need to recharge something, I can just pull the cord out more. When I'm finished, I can just put the cord back in. I think Vince got it at RadioShack.

jmkmomm - welcome. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas for exercise that you never thought of on here.

Sunshine - what good news that it wasn't cancer! I bet you did break down and cry at the good news, I probably would too (just never been in that situation, thank g**)

DeeDee - isn't this weather something else? Yesterday at times I didn't even wear a jacket. Today I have my heavy coat on. Weird. I'm drinking hot tea because I don't want to get sick.

Mary - what are you sewing?

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do this "fit in six" program for the Wii using the pilates program. Really, that is the only program on the FIS that I do, all the rest are just so short. But at the amount I paid for the program, I'm not complaining. Right now I'm making more of the chocolate bran muffins. I'll just freeze them so I have them when we come back. Plus, I wanted to get rid of a bag of the wheat bran that I had in the freezer.

Oh, I made chocolate chip cookies for us to take to FL so Vince will have something in the car and when we get there. The gal who will watch the pool while we're gone came over so I gave her some. Actually, she took a few off the cookie sheet that just came out of the oven...lol

Liz from Idaho - have fun at the movies. Let us know what you see. And don't forget to take snacks with you!

Lin - a while ago the MD put me on predisone. She kept insisting that this rash I had was a food allergy (she didn't say to what and didn't test me, either). I kept telling her it was heat rash since it was only around my waist and it was during the summertime. Well, the next day we went camping further north (where it's cooler).The rash went away! So I stopped taking the prednisone. It was only after I had done that that I found out that I really should have weaned myself off it. Well, I didn't have any reaction, probably because I didn't take much. I feel very uncomfortable in the deep water in a pool so I wear a floation belt.

Jane in CO - I'm with you all the way. I'm constantly amazed how fast it is to fall into bad habits and how long it takes to get back on. Once I get back on with one habit, it doesn't seem to be a problem with more. Have a wonderful trip (even IF you aren't taking me with you...lol)

anemartin - how wonderful of you to stay with your friend.

jmakmomm - hearty congrats

jo - i honestly don't find running to be intersting at all. To me, I'd rather skip it, it's too boring. Not to mention my knees. I could never understand what people see in running. I'm just not drawn to it. How adorable "ladies that lunch". Precious!!!!

Lila - I totally understand your feeling about being happy for your daughter but on the same hand sad that you are losing her to Europe. I'm quite sure that I've lost Bryan since he's getting married to a girl from Spain, and most girls want to be near their family. I'm in the exact same boat you're in. You can cry to me any time at all, I know exactly how you're feeling. Have a fabulous rest of your trip

Meg - I don't remember the name of the drug (it's been years since I've needed it) but I remember having to take this antibiotic, you took one pill/5days. Is that what you have to take? We're leaving for FL Monday, will probably be home around the end of the month

I'm getting my snacks ready to take with me in the car so when we stop to eat, I can have something halfway decent. I want to use up some coleslaw so I portioned that out, can take that in the car, portioned out buffalo jerky, I have some pumpkin seeds and pistachios, baby carrots, made 1/2 turkey sandwiches and have them in the freezer, I'm trying to finish up things that'll go bad before we get back, which means tomorrow I need to eat the zucchini that I have. I also have another bag of coleslaw so I need to finish that up (well, I could take it with me if I need to), I'll take some oranges, the small cans of low sodium V8, the small boxes of soy milk, small boxes of raisins and these dried fruit strips (all fruit, no sugar added) Update: breakfast will be zucchini and coleslaw....lol Anything to finish things up!

ohiomom - good luck to you tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

Mary in TN - I always say "I'll be dead and buried and the dirt will still be here".

jmkmomm - where are you going on vacation?

Sue from SD - have a good time at the play and dinner

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I hope you all had a great Valentines day...all good for Vitamin F,

It was very strange to have Shrove Tuesday followed by Ash Wednesday, followed by Valentines Day!
    Has that ever happened in anyone's memory?

We have been out for meals every day since Tuesday....and DH and I are looking forward to tomorrow,
    it will be the first day we do not have a social commitment with food... it is our clean day, before we are gone
    for a mini vacation with all our meals out.... Its our 'spring break' ...so I will be bringing as much mixed whey protein as I can to concentrate on the veggie side of the restaurant guide...that is my plan so far.

That is the tough part, the great part is that the boutique hotel has a pool, hot tub, and my aching knees really need that!

Because you are all here, I know that although I have logged the good and bad, that this too shall pass....and it will be back to normal by next Thursday.....until our party on Friday, oh yeah, then back to normal until the Wed for me, then no commitments

Everyone's logs for the last few days have been terrific reads, so many wonderful experiences, so many tough ones....

To everyone who has lost weight, has terrific exercise routines but has remained stable, I want to thank you for staying here and inspiring the rest of us.....you make this a life program not a diet program.

There are too many people to personalize anything today...tonight, I should say, so good luck to everyone and have a wonderful day tomorrow!

BJ SWO
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Michele- Would you share the recipe for the chocolate bran muffins? Have a great trip to Florida. I would like to go somewhere warm for a few days! I love winter, but need some sun!!

Deb from CNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: I guess this sinus infection explains why you keep getting sick over and over. I hope this time they get rid of the problem. I’m a putting you in my prayers.:flowerforyou:

Nonnice: I make gluten free Italian bread crumbs that I used last night to prepare rock cod filets. They were very good, and I"m sure the breadcrumbs would be equally good with poultry or pork. Let me know if you'd like the recipe.:flowerforyou:

This has been quite a day. I took the dog for a long walk this morning and ended up walking in the rain about two miles to get home. I didn't mind the rain. Then I found out I needed to be ready for a meeting in less than two hours that I thought was next week. :frown: STRESS. :sad: People at the meeting forgave me for being totally unprepared, but I wasn't happy about it. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: They were very kind.
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I'm amazed at how some of you can keep up with all of the multiple conversations going on - but glad to see some like me - are not as adept at answering each and everyone - and as a newbie here - thanks for understanding if I just say hi and thank you all for your continued support and tips.

I did want to comment to Meg about the nasal steroids - I was on a nasal steroid for almost a year (prescribed by my allergist) and I was using it daily - well - I gained 15 pounds while I was on them - I have weaned myself off of them on the advise of my Internist and find I don't need them!!! I used them because I had multiple bouts of bronchitis prior to seeing the allergist - I was afraid if I didn't use the sprays as he advised - I may end up getting sick again - I had no idea that they could cause weight gain - but my Internist said absolutely they can because they contain steroids.....you may already know this - but just wanted to point it out in case you are given advice to take them regularly - maybe you would react differently - but as you know - steroids do have side effects. I would use them again if I had a bad sinus condition as it sounds like you do now - but I would not do it long term again. I hope you feel better soon.

I have had sciatica pain all day - must have tweeked myself somehow - it was pretty intense - the stabbing pain in the hip and knee, down the leg etc :sad: - I iced, skip exercise for the day and rested- with Ibuprofen - and use my inversion table - seems to have eased off - so hopefully will be back to normal tomorrow....sciatica is a bear cat and would not wish it on anyone! Yoga has helped a lot - guess I need to get the 'ol mat out and start down dogging again!

Thanks for listening - it's a blustery windy/rainy day here on Kauai -I hope you all have a lovely weekend!
    Aloha - Lynn - (kauaiartist) :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lynn my sciatica was cured with a sleep number bed! Expensive cure but it worked.

Yummmm, cookies right out of the oven.
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Haha, I know it’s a lot of baking but once it’s downstairs in the deep freeze, behind the construction zone I can resist. Yes, DH is back at the rebuild and it is a debris ridden zone. Danger! Danger! Notice I didn’t make anything chocolate …. because I would walk over fire for chocolate!!

Kate
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning and although it's a very sunny bright day. I still need my vit.F.

DJ
    Great that you tackled skiing. Great exercise.
    We can't all keep up with this.
    Just pick up and do what you can.

Katla
    You didn't need to send me the 1/2 lb you lost. Wii said I gained that with my yesterdays foolishness.
    Walking the dogs so more exercise today.

Jane H
    Bad habits are easy to get back into. And hard to break.
    Hope all went well yesterday with your book signing.
    Enjoy your holiday.

JaneM
    Enjoy your day and your friend. Great news she got.

Jo
    1 lb to go how much did you loose.

Lila
    Sounds like your seeing a part of heaven. But it can't be much nicer than the Kootenay's.
    Your probably going to come home with a loss all that walking.

Renny
    Getting ready for a 10k lots of exercise. Good luck in getting ready.

Meg
    Like the escape route. And more storage never enough storage.
    Hope your sinuses clear up soon.
    Keep busy with your book. And out of the kitchen.

Ohiomomof2
    Good luck with your colonoscopy. Hope it went well.

JMK
    Enjoy your family holiday.

Gail
    Looks like a fun day. And great eating.

Sue
    Enjoy your church outing.

Brooke
    Just love stuffed peppers. Think i'll have to steal your recipe for Kale.
    Make that with cauliflower fried rice for supper

Michele
    Bringing all that food how many days does it take to get to Florida
    Enjoy your trip.

BJ
    Lots of outings hard on healthy eating.

Katla
    Those thrown together meetings usualy turn out the best.

Lynn
    Anything says steroids comes with a few lbs. or makes losing impossible.

Kate
    Chocolate the love of my life. But never touched any except for a chocolate chip cookie or two.
    Since 24th of Nov.

Well there did from where I left yesterday and didn't pass my 9 o'clock cut off by much.
    Yesterday was a much day someone tied a food bag on me. Wouldn't have been bad if they would have filled it with fruit and veg. But it was carbs. bread, chips more bread. Just a very bad for the diabetise day. Oh well pick up today and make it better.
    So right now i'm going to soak in the jacuzzi hot tub. Then a nice shower. Just an hour of me time. I know should do exercise first. But hope that will come later.

Today will be a good good day.
    Making a cauliflower fried veg rice and roasted kale.
    That's as soon as I come out the shower and that will be lunch and supper.

See you all lighter
    Linda.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Linda C: You wouldn’t believe how hard it is to overnight a half pound to Canada! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Regarding the meeting, since I didn’t make the agendas we didn’t hold elections and I’m stuck as secretary for another year.:ohwell:

Tomorrow DH has an appointment with his neurologist as follow up to his stroke. I hope we will come away from this appointment knowing what to do next so that he gets healthier and doesn’t ever go through this again. I fear that isn’t realistic. :noway: I’m hoping we can also talk about MS treatment and whether to take a more aggressive approach. There are some well-respected MS programs in the Portland area. Keep your fingers crossed that the meeting is productive.:heart::flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy 90th Birthday to my mom. I put her picture as my profile picture for now. I am so fortunate to still have her. :heart: :heart: She loved the video we sent her. We had recorded it last Monday with our 2 younger kids and grandson, then stitched it together with our 2 older sons' video, who are working up north in Fort McMurray. I love technology for that very reason!!

Have a great Sunday everyone.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC. (and far away from my mom in Holland, yet so close in my heart)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone. DH took the kids to church so I could sleep in. :yawn: I am feeling some better already but have a pounding headache right now but it will go away once the decongestants kick in. I totally forgot about grading papers, so not only do I have a chapter to finish and send off today, but I have to grade too! BLEH! :noway: How do I let myself get so far behind?

I did forget to tell you about a very nice nsv! There is a lady at work who I think is pretty snotty, but maybe she is just quiet. In 17 years of working there she has maybe said hi to me once. The other day she came up to me and asked if I had lost weight and seemed genuinely interested. She also said that if I need support, she would be there for me! I guess you can’t always judge people, huh? Of course she is about 6’ tall, skinny, and gorgeous! She competes in beauty pageants, but it was still very nice. I’ll have to stop my negative thoughts about her! :flowerforyou:

Ohiomom: sending good luck thoughts and virtual cotton-ball soft TP! :laugh:

Mary: your uncle and wife are so lucky to have such a wonderful niece who takes him food! That is so kind of you!:flowerforyou:

Jmkmomm: sounds like you had great experiences as a nurse. Students probably loved to have you…so many RNs are mean to the students! You’re right now it’s a Master’s degree minimum to teach and soon to be doctoral level. Thank gosh I am all done with that! My PhD is in education and nursing will be preferred, but I’m set since I’m in my 50s so I won’t be pressured to go back again! Your vacation idea sounds great. It’s never too late to form bonds.

Sue from SD: a choir trip sounds like fun! Enjoy!!!

Barbie: ooooohhhh, another reason I should join costco! The fresh salmon Jake caught sounds better than canned, but that’s ok too. We have salmon at least every week, so I’m always looking for new ideas. Fresh is expensive here…maybe I’ll stick with canned or join costco for just burgers. I do love fresh salmon marinated in soy sauce and grilled.

Brooke: I have got to get on that kale train! I looked for it this week, but didn’t see any. When is it in season?

Michele: I think you are talking about a Z-pack (zithromax, athizromycin). Those don’t work for my sinus infections at all. I’m on doxycylcine this time and so far so good…no diarrhea! Maybe it’s the probiotic I’m taking too LOL. :tongue: Sounds like you are doing great at emptying that fridge!

BJ: Oh my I didn’t even notice that valentines day was after ash Wednesday! How odd!

Katla: thanks for the good wishes! I hope you at least got dried off before your meeting! :bigsmile: Best wishes for DH and his appointment.:flowerforyou:

Lynn in Kauai: thanks for the information on the steroids. I did know that…so I only use them when I have a particularly bad sinus infection. Also anything with steroids can make your blood sugar go up. I was on steroid cream for this chronic rash on my back and we had our employee health screen and my glucose was in the 140s! I almost fainted. Threw it away and got retested in 2 weeks, back to normal (for me at least!) Lots of side effects!

Kate; well at least you have found a way to keep from indulging! :bigsmile:

Linda: your me time sounds fabulous! So does your lunch/dinner!

Renny: happy birthday to mom! :flowerforyou: What a wonderful way to celebrate her birthday I bet she was thrilled. So cool to have her picture up! My mom has been gone 3 years now…hard to believe.

OK folks, must get busy and be productive today. UGH the more I need to do, the more I want to put it off! Take care, Meg:drinker:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :smile: Fun weekend with grandkids while parents are in San Diego!:laugh:
    :flowerforyou: We made cake pops yesterday, walked the dog, and watched "Up". Today, another dog walk, maybe a board game and some computer time. So Fun:bigsmile:

Have a great Sunday and those of you who have President's Day off......have a good extra day off :drinker:
    determined in AZ (Barb)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My Mom used to make salmon patties when we were younger.I don't know what she used to bread them, more than likely bread crumbs. But then she made this cream sauce to put over it an it was to die for
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Aloha and Hello ladies!

I had a great time in Kauai with good food and lots of fun. including Ziplines, lots of major hikes, Airplane tour, kayaking and snorkeling. The kids went horseback riding but I couldn't go because I had a problem. (TMI and I apologize but here goes. The Sudafed I was taking for my cold dried me out too much. Sunday I strained :angry: and caused a MAJOR hemoroid issue. I was in agony all week and couldn't fathom sitting on a horse:noway: ) I am glad to be home even though I still can't sit comfortably :laugh: )

This is such a chatty thread there is no way I can catch up so I am just starting over from here.

I am bummed about going back to work also known as hell. I am bummed I didn;t get the one job but I am hopeful the other one will come thru.

we just went and picked up the boys so I need to get some Bodi and Ritter love. Talk to you all soon.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    Back in the PNW
  • ellenaj52
    ellenaj52 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am looking for women 50 plus to correspond with on this diet journey. I live in Wisconsin about a half hour from Green bay where the packers play! Anyone out there willing to correspong with me...ellenaj52
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Good evening Vit F ladies

Linda – I just love your sign off – see you all lighter – always makes me smile!
    Okay – you asked how much weight have I lost. In 2007 I went from 172 to 130. I maintained this more or less until late 2010 when I had an accident involving mud, a cliff path and a rescue helicopter! I broke my wrist badly in three places and suffered undiagnosed RDS/CRPS. The pain for months was relentless and the hypersensitivity made being touched even by my own hair like being scraped by a razor blade. A long story but I eventually found the correct treatment and despite being told it would be locked like a claw I now have full flexibility and very little pain. I AM VERY STUBBORN!!

To add to this I lost my beloved mother and as an only child had to sort out my old family home. Food was not important especially when I never left the hospital for three weeks until she passed away.

Last February at 158 I decided enough was enough and set my goal at 131 – time to get back on track. Travelling is my down fall - tasting the food when you travel the world is part of the experience!! So one more pound to go!!

Meg asked a question about the Valentines meal – Herbed cheese soufflés, Creole Beef pot and Black Forest Pots!! Hope you are feeling better?

Lila – Have a great time in the Netherlands! Only been to Amsterdam and never got out of the airport! It was on the way back from Prague and a huge storm stopped us getting a connecting flight. It is hard when your children live on a different continent. I use Skype to keep in touch with DD no2 who lives 150 miles away.

Ohiomomo - Good luck with your procedure tomorrow.

To all of you that are not feeling up to full strength – I wish you better health.

Katia – Hope all goes well for your DH tomorrow.

Ellena – lots of support on this thread! Good luck on your journey!

Well to all especially those I have not had time to mention –

Keep smiling

Jo