WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone I have posted a couple of times on this site and looks like all of you are good friends:smile:
    I am hoping that you take me into the fold...
    I am trucking along here in Connecticut, it is wicked cold and windy, a good day to stay inside.. I got all the makings together and made the DH some white chocolate macadamia nut cookies with cranberries, and went to put them in the oven and the oven didn't work:mad:
    so had to get in the car and drive to my dads house and bake them there, but I left him a care package of them.. he loves his cookies:heart:
    still going to the gym every day I try and work out an hour to an hour and a half, and trying to eat healthy, havent really gone crazy and slipped off any wagon, but after menopause its a b---h trying to get the weight off, but slow and steady wins the race, so slow and steady I will go...
    I cannot wait for the warm spring to come along when the peepers show up and start there singing and the brids come back from down south and start there singing~~ that brings me so much joy:happy:
  • nen1470
    Options
    HI

Can I join this group? if so, how? I am 67 and working on weight issues..got good exercise going, struggling with the food.
    I am hypothyroid and have some depression but am very very motivated. My docs all support this 100%. I have been at a plateau for many months now but am not giving up. I go to Curves 3 times a week and really like that.

I live in the northwest...and would like to connect with other women who are using mfp and doing well.

Nancy
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone I have posted a couple of times on this site and looks like all of you are good friends:smile:
    I am hoping that you take me into the fold...
    I am trucking along here in Connecticut,...

Welcome new friend Grandmallie. You are in the fold, and we are happy you want to be part of us! :flowerforyou: I am looking forward to spring too, although it is 9 degrees Celcius here now (~48Fahrenheit), which kind of feels like spring.

All the best on your journey
    HI
    Can I join this group? if so, how? I am 67 and working on weight issues..got good exercise going, struggling with the food.
    I am hypothyroid and have some depression but am very very motivated. My docs all support this 100%. I have been at a plateau for many months now but am not giving up. I go to Curves 3 times a week and really like that.
    I live in the northwest...and would like to connect with other women who are using mfp and doing well.
    Nancy

:flowerforyou: Nen1470 - You've joined us by posting - pretty easy, isn't it. Welcome! I am sure you can establish some friendship connections here.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I love to walk outside in the spring time instead of at the mall. But there aren't any benches for me to collapse on every .2 miles!!!! So i guess I stay at the mall.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I’m back home from staying with DGK’s while son and DDIL are in Thailand. Loved it but am so tired. We had lots of good experiences and I tried to eat properly. The first few days I didn’t get enough calories in but did ok after that. Missed posting but did read all the posts. Tried to send a message last night but it went somewhere out in space. Keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

Jane in SLC – I have had a WW scale from Sams for a long time. They also sell them at Walmart. When I was attending WW meetings, my scale was usually the same as the weight-in scale. I’m real sure what p90X is. Is it a dvd or a program?

Brooke – probably a dumb question but what do you mean by full-body scale. Is there one where you don’t step on with your full body?

Katia - I agree with the comments about protecting those knees. My DDIL is an orthopedic surgeon and she suggests that women over 50 not run due to the pressure on the knees. So be very careful. Once they are injured it’s hard to do a lot of things. I hope your meeting tomorrow goes well and you and DH get some answers.

Kate from Alberta – I hadn’t heard about the death of the mother of eight who drank 24 cans of diet coke a day. Poor children! I gave up diet drinks when I started on MFP and am proud to say I’ve done very well without them. I am sometimes at a loss for a drink but resort to water or hot tea.

Jmkmomm – welcome and congrats on the 20 lbs lost. Keep coming back to chat with us.

Joy – some of the weight gain may have been the stress you were feeling waiting for the results to come back. So happy you got the wonderful news that it’s an infection instead of the dreaded C word. Whatever works for you will motivate you to keep eating a healthy diet. I’m cheering for you.

Dixie – I’m glad you feel you can join your MFP friends again and I hope to get to know you as we continue with this journey called life. They have mentioned you many times. I love the area of AZ where you are and am happy you found a place where you can be at peace.

Amanda – you are a lucky girl with a DH who wants to reward you for helping him. Sorry you lost your diamond. Maybe just replace the one you lost!

Liz from ID – it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. It is always fun to do things with the ones you love.

Jo – don’t you just love what comes out of children’s mouths. Many times I’ve wished I had written down all their funny sayings.

Lila – so fun to hear of your trip to the Netherlands. We’ve been to Amsterdam several times over the years. Congrats to your DD on finding The One!.

Barbie – I’m impressed you have salmon that Jake catches! I have some grilled salmon left over from a meal so I’m going to use your suggestions and make some patties.

Michele – enjoy your trip to FL. I hope the weather is wonderful and that you and DH have an awesome time.

Lynn in Kauai – I’d take a blustery windy/rainy day in Kauai any day! We’re taking a trip to Hawaii in July. Just got my tickets last week (gulp!). Take care of that sciatica pain. Did you injure yourself in any way?

Renny – what a beautiful woman your 90 year old mother is. You are so lucky to still have her and the video sounds wonderful.

Meg – there is that random act of kindness thing. See how good it made you feel. So glad you are feeling better and I hope you get some of the work out of the way so you’re not so stressed. If we were closer, I’d come help you. (Not that I know anything about nursing but I was a teacher!) You are so smart to be taking the probotic along with the antibiotic. DH got C Dif last year and was very seriously ill and in hospital for a week.

Barb in AZ – I made cake pops with grandkids this week. Lots of sprinkles everywhere but that’s why they made brooms!

Grandmallie – so glad you came back to chat with us. Everyone is looking forward to spring. Since I live in TX it comes here early in fact some of the grass is greening up already.

Welcome Nancy – there are so many success stories in this group. Just come back and post and you’re in!

Sue in TX

February Goals:
    1. Get 5 f/v a day
    2. Check portion sizes to be sure they are accurate. No more “that’s about a ½ c.”
    3 Exercise 45 min 5 x a w
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    "Brooke – probably a dumb question but what do you mean by full-body scale. Is there one where you don’t step on with your full body? "

No, NOT a dumb question. I only added that because when I first queried re: scales I wasn't clear and some thought I was needing a kitchen (food) scale! (I only WISH I didn't have to weigh my whole body though LOL :laugh: )
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a nice sun.
    Enjoyed the time with my friend yesterday.
    Welcome nancy.This is a great group and very chatty.I really enjoy the posts.
    Talked to my sister in FL as I do every week-end.It`s in the 40`s there.We are in the 30`s in IL.
    Had a restful day after church.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,:bigsmile:

Long time no read. I have really missed everyone. It has been a busy a stressful time. I am desperately trying to get back on track. We lost my grandfather on the 4th :brokenheart: :cry: :cry: and I had to help my dad (an only child and a heart patient) make the funeral arrangements and get some arrangements made to take care of my grandmother. She is 89 and never been alone. So naturally she is terrified. We spent this weekend helping her go through his office. My grandfather was a minister and has a ton of books and things to go through. :sad:

My DH has been sick with the flu all weekend:sick: . Which is really not good, since I have been warned to limit my exposure to anyone infected with anything until we get these inflamed lymph nodes under control. I have had another bout with gout (this is also a side effect of the sarcoidsis). This has made exercise impossible.

So tonight I said ENOUGH!! I am putting an end to the madness regardless of the pain and I went back to the gym and worked out for ! 1/2 hours. My foot hurts but I know I have to do it. I have gained 8 pounds:angry::mad: :grumble: and I refuse to gain back the weight I have lost:noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: . I need you ladies to keep me on track. So you will be reading more of me again.

I am so glad you are here for each other. I hope you are all doing well. I will catch up on the reading. Love ya lots:heart::smooched: .

Jolene
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Hope everyone has had a wonderful Sunday!!!!

Jmkmomm:smile: I agree, warm cookies...YUM!!! Do you have the recipe for the cream sauce for the salmon patties? That sounds so good!

Kate:smile: I think I could walk over fire for cake:love: ! Good for you keeping the treats in the deep freeze!!!

LindaC:smile: Cauliflower fried veg rice sounds good, do you have a recipe you would share? A soak in the hot tub sounds so fabulous!

Katla:smile: Hope the Dr. appt. goes well tomorrow!

Renny :smile: What a lovely pic of your beautiful mom:love: !

Meg:smile: Love your NSV...snotty but maybe just quiet:laugh: Lol! Hope your headache went away and you got all those papers graded!

Barb:smile: Sounds like you're having a great time with the grandkids:love: !

Robin:smile: Welcome back! The vacation sounds like it was loads of fun...well except for the little problem...ouch! Remember to put your rainbow cloak on! Keeping my fingers crossed the other job will come through!

Ellenaj52:smile: Welcome! Jump right in and join the conversation!

Jo:smile: Oh my, your accident sounds just awful! Glad things are working out for you! Good thing you're stubborn!

Grandmallie:smile: Welcome! I too, am so ready for spring! Warmer temps and longer days :love: ! I bet your dad didn't mind sharing his oven, he got some tasty goodies!

Nancy:smile: Welcome! I've been on a plateau too:sad: , it's so not fun!!! I know one day I'll step on the dreaded scale and it will go in the right direction!!! Never, ever give up!!!!

Sue:smile: Grandkids are great but they sure know how to wear us out! I would love to have just a little of that energy! I'll keep on my mind what your DDIL said about running, I'm training for a 5K right now, mostly I'm walking with a little running, my knees were not happy with me:noway: !

Brooke:smile: LOL...wish I didn't have to weigh my whole body either! Last time I was at the dr. office I told them to weigh my purse instead:laugh: !

Jane M:smile: A nice restful day sounds delightful!!!

I put on my tiara this morning and had coffee with the guys, it was a nice time as usual, I wasn't as bossy today:laugh: :devil: !

I'm tired right now and I think it's time to crawl in my comfy bed and see if I can actually read more than one page before I go to sleep! Sleep well my friends and have sweet dreams!!! Until tomorrow....

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    bj - it never dawned on me that Shove Tuesday was followed by Ash Wednesday which was followed by Valentine's Day. I don't remember that ever happening before.

Deb - the chocolate bran muffins are take 2 cups of wheat bran, 1 box of the low fat brownie mix (Betty Crocker is the only one I've found who makes a low fat brownie mix), one egg (needed for the binder), 1-1/2 cups of water (I was originally told 3 cups, but to me that's too watery, 1-1/2 cups I feel works better). Spray a regular size muffin tin (because they are so low fat, I wouldn't recommend using muffin liners). Mix it all together and bake at 350 for approx. 30 minutes. Makes 12 good sized muffins. One positive is that it helps to squelch a chocolate craving and another is that with all the bran, it makes you want to drink more water. I can usually finsih at least 24oz, most time 34. I keep the muffins frozen and then just pop them in the microwave for 25 seconds. WW points is 0 (because of the high fiber content). I have it in MFP's database as "WW muffins from a friend" It snowed here yesterday, I couldn't believe it, on the third Sat. of the month there is a bingo, they cancelled it! I'm so ready to go to FL, so so ready.

Lynn - sciatica! ouch! I hate when I get that, you can't get comfortable or anything.

Did an hour of pilates. I have this program for the Wii called "Fit in Six" Most of the exercises are only something like 15 or 20 minutes long, pilates is the longest at 30 minutes so I did it twice. To be honest, for me, I'm not real crazy about it, mainly because the bouts of exercise are so short. If anyone wants, I'll be glad to send it to them. Just let me know.

Tomorrow I'll do Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD. The extremepump class isn't until 9 and we hope to be on the road by then so I'll need to do something early in the morning before we leave. I'm taking a few DVD's down with me, one of the Jari Love ones. Now the Y down there told me that they have Wi-Fi, but just in case you can't use it in the aerobics room, I'm taking a DVD down with me. I'm also taking one of Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's. The last few times we've been down there whoever owns the condo below us hasn't been there so if they're not there this time, I can do that. I'm also taking a pilates DVD down.

Lin - it only takes us about 10 hours to get to the condo which is on the eastern part of FL in the center of the state. I know it's a LOOONNNNGG (and flat) state. Once we get there I'll get to go to Publix (yippee!!!!) and see all they have. Have you lost any desire for chocolate? I know when I gave up white flour it was hard at first but to this day I don't really care for white flour. I'd rather whole wheat

Rebel - happy birthday to your mom! So glad your mom loved the video, I knew she would

Meg - what a wonderful NSV you had

barbie - wish we had a costco around here. How is the sodium in those salmon burgers? The calories? The protein?

Meg - yea, I think I was talking about the z-pack. That "z" rings a bell. The fridge is pretty empty. Vince laughed at my breakfast today of coleslaw and zucchini (well, I didn't want them to go bad!)

ellena - welcome, post here often and you'll get lots of people "talking" to you and encouraging you onwards.

Jo - going from 172 to 130 --- wow is all I can say. I'm so so sorry about your mother.

grandmallie - welcome! I'm sure your dad didn't mind one bit you making those cookies at his place!

Nancy - welcome, welcome, welcome. You joined by posting! Come in lots

jolene - my deepest condolences on the loss of your grandfather. What did you take when you had the gout.

Well, better go take my shower. Need to get up early tomorrow, exercise, pack the car and then drive. I'm planning to do a Jillian Michael's DVD and then if I have time do some yoga. If not, yoga will be put aside for tomorrow. I already made some stell cut oats with applesauce for tomorrow a.m. as I don't want to have to put things in the dishwasher and want as little as possible to wash.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    Jolene:smile: so good to see you back!!! I'm so sorry about your grandfather:sad: !!! Keeping your family in my prayers!
    Hope hubby starts to feel better soon:flowerforyou: ! You know we're always here to cheer you along!!! Good for you getting yourself to the gym.

Huge,
    DeeDee
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

Barbie – LOVE the salmon burgers from Costco.:heart: I put them on skinny buns with lettuce, a bit of tartar and jalapeno mustard. YUM!

Renny – so great that your Mom is still here. My Grandma passed in September 2012. She was 109 years old. Lived on her own until the last 1.5 years. She was amazing. Colon cancer survivor, to boot!

Lila – so jealous that you are in The Netherlands. I have great friends who live in Emmen. They are chocolateirs – make the most amazing Belgian chocolates. Do have a wonderful trip. You will have to find many reasons to visit your daughter.

Ohiomom – Hope the colonoscopy goes well. Never pleasant, but over quickly, at least.

Gardengail – dinner sounds yummy, and the sleepover! What a great idea.

Brooke – Equally yummy idea for stuffed peppers!

Michele – have fun in FL. Going in March.

Lynn – sciatica is not fun. Hope you are feeling better.

Jmkmomm – salmon patties! Easy to make, and you don’t have to bread and fry. I really like Panko these days. A pureed roasted red pepper sauce would be yummy!

Ellenaj52 – welcome to the group. Hope you hang around for a while.

Grandmallie – Welcome to the fold. I am new, as well.

Nancy – I am also hypothyroid. Makes it hard to get the metabolism going. Good that you are motivated. It’s the most important ingredient for this journey.

Sue in TX – I, too have a WW scale. I wonder if it’s just going on the fritz. Will have to check it out. P90x is a strength training program on DVD created by Tony Horton. There are a lot of infomercials for it on TV. But it’s actually a really good program. And, there are several ways to mix up the workouts, depending on what it is you need to accomplish.

This weekend included a lot of indulgences for me, including rest. :smile: Back on the food wagon tomorrow. I have a crazy week, and a crazy month ahead at work – including the trial for the man who killed my niece (car crash January 2011) and a week in Disney World mid-March, followed by the launch of a new product at work. Was actually thinking I might try to paint a bathroom in the meantime :noway: , but common sense took over. Will wait until April. Do need to order my tomato and pepper seeds and get the seedlings going. Anxious to get gardening. :happy:

If I don’t get to check in again this week, hope everyone has a great one.:smile:

Jane in SLC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jane I am very cooking challenged. My sister got all of those genes. We eat out most of the time. Plus neither my husband or I have a lot of will power for left overs in the house. I try immediately freezing portions, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It hardly ever works for my husband.

Traveling to anywhere in Europe is my dream. I just love the history, architecture, and the scenery. I love to watch travel shows that take me there
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    MEXICAN STUFFED PEPPERS
    Meat - Chicken Sausage - Chipolte Chorizo (Al Fresco), 1 link
    Generic - Ground Turkey, 4 ounces
    Vegetables - Corn, 1 cup 120
    Onions - Raw, 3 tbsp chopped
    Rice - White, long-grain, regular, cooked, 0.25 cup
    Pace - Picante Salsa Medium, 6 tbsp
    Sargento - 4 Cheese Mexican Cheese, (1/4 Cup)
    Bell Peppers - Fresh, Red, Orange, Green, 2 pepper
    Roma Tomato - chopped

2 servings = 347 each
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Good evening, ladies. It has been a terrible few days for being totally bad regarding the stuff I have been putting into my body...I have logged some of it, I honestly don't know if I can remember all that I have eaten since Thursday that I shouldn't have eaten.

Looking forward to Monday. Why is it that I always say I'll start on Monday? What is wrong with just starting again at the next meal??

Anyway, I saw several new posts in my scan through the last page of the thread. Welcome to all the newbies. I am always open to new friends, so send over a request and I will be happy to friend you.

Jane, I must have missed about the book signing...are you an author, and if so, what books? I am an avid reader and always enjoy finding new authors to follow.

Renny, your Mom's picture is precious!!! I hope she had a wonderful birthday.

It is getting late and unfortunately President's Day is not a holiday where I work. I must be there bright and early in the morning.

G'Nite
    Mary in TN
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello. Ladies,

Today was a fun day -- tomorrow instead of my 3rd day off I am working coverage for a co worker.
    So today was also busy trying to make sure everything was ready for the work week.

Up early I meet with a group of women every Sunday at 8. We been doing this for years we offer support to each other. Pray for each other really look forward to this time.

Than church we had our monthly potluck. I did really ok at it. I bought my chicken -spinach salad ate that pack a orange. It wad good to enjoy the fellowship but not indulged in the high calories dishes.

Came home made /prepared 14 freezer meals to try over the next 2 weeks. Hope. Trying to find ways to simplify my life.

Hope this helps.

@Mary in Tenn its isn't a holiday for me either.
    @Michele - I like how you bake and give it away. Always impress by that. I would be so tempted to eat it all.

@Lili so glad for you that you are able to see your daughter.

@Gail sounds like a fun time.
    @Jane in SLC it does sound like a crazy week take care of yourself.
    @Jolene so sorry about your Grandpa.

@Michele, Jane, Meg my daughter picked going to the dollar theater to see Breaking Dawn again!! I agree to let her pick. That wad her pick. She has seen it ready a couple of times but not with
    me. It was important to her that I see it. So I finally went. :ohwell:

Its getting late I need to get to bed. Wishing everyone a good evening.

Liz
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good monring all!

Thanks for all the well wishes for today. I can only hope the procedure isn't as bad as the prep! I'm not normally a baby about things but I really had a hard time last night; stuff tasted like dish soap with a little salt added in for good measure. Hopefully, all will be fine and he will tell me to come back in 5 years.

Life has been so crazy over the last week that I have hardly logged my food at all. I haven't been eating badly; just not making time to actually log. Am going to rededicate myself as I think it is key to my success.

Welcome to all who joined us recently. I know you will find this to be a very supportive and "chatty" group!

I'd better go get ready. Have a great Monday!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    just got back from the gym burned 400 calories on the treadmill whoooo hoooooo:wink:
    Exermom -those bran muffins sound great gonna try making them for myself next weekend..
    this past Friday was 13 yrs since my mom passed away she was only 65 and had poly-cystic kidney disease and had been on dialysis for 5 yrs...
    I have it also (thank you mom) but at stage 3 and holding all remains well.. I don't smoke and only have a a cocktail once or twice a yr .. I am a sugar holic:grumble: and am doing fairly well without candy... I found that if I am really having a craving I will have a tablespoon of semi sweet chocolate chips and that works well..
    I also have the balance gold protein bars that are 200 cal. each and are like a candy bar ,but I have those speratically.
    So glad to have you ladies that are going through the same thing I am to hang with:smile:
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Michele:smile: Have a wonderful time in FL!!! Send some sunshine and warm temps this way...please!!!!

Brooke:smile: Thank you for sharing your recipe, it sounds so good! I`m not much of a cook and I love trying new recipes out!!!

Jane inSLC:smile: Pureed roasted pepper sauce sounds devine, do you have a recipe you would share? I am hypothyroid too:sad: , and stuck on a plateau:sad: , I keep on pushing though, one of these days I`ll see movement in the right direction!!! Your month sounds very busy, hope the trial goes fast, I`m sure that will be a sad time:cry::brokenheart: . Hugs to you and your family!!!

Jmkmomm:smile: I love the Travel chanel and HGTV, my two favorites!

Mary TN:smile: Yes we should always get right back to having a good next meal after a not so good one, it`s just so easy to keep putting it off though:frown: . I tend to have a bad meal, or bad snacks after a not so good weigh in:embarassed: , just makes everything worse! I`m getting better at that now!

Liz:smile: Wow, you have been busy! 14 freezer meals, I`m impressed! I have a hard time trying to figure out meals for the next two days:embarassed: ! Sounds like a lovely time spent with your daughter at the movies, it`s nice she really wanted you to see the movie with her!

Ohiomom:smile: Good luck today:flowerforyou: !!!! Wishing you the best results!!! I remember that taste...dishsoap and salt..yuck!!!

Training day today and I`m sick:sick: ! I started feeling a bit off on Saturday night, very tired, I`m hoping it`s just a cold, I did have a little fever yesterday, so far this morning I`m just snotty and a little coughy. I`m still going to my training, however I`ll probably just walk and not try to run today:cry: . I started drinking my hot tea with lemon and ginger, hope it does the trick this time and knocks this out!
    The doggie is standing on my leg:love: , need to take her out before she leaves me a present in the floor:frown: !

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold NC
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Like most of you... it's sunny, but COLD! I am delaying taking the little pooch out for a stroll, but I know she doesn't really care how cold as long as she doesn't get her little paws yet! haha

Can't believe I've been on this journey 40 days now... it really does help to log it all in and be able to see reports on food/exercise.. and of course to chat with you ladies here on this thread. Read through most, but have to get to work this morning on my Coursera class and then off to spend the day with my momma!

Still perched on my own little plateau, where I'd rather not be, but I'm healthier, I'm stronger... it will happen eventually, right???

xoxo
    Tammy in Va Beach