WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning everyone!

After an amazingly rainy day, we have sunshine here…:happy: and I’m looking forward to a great day. I’ve just read through all the posts and feel caught up on your lives and journeys!

:laugh: Meg – you are sooo funny…. But I agree with __________ why was your family sitting watching you?!! Equally funny!

:love: Amanda – You’re doing such a good job dealing with your ugly coworker… keep smiling.

Jo -- I so understand the glance in the window! A few years ago I was videoed giving a presentation, and I was SHOCKED! I said to my coworkers, “When did I become a chubby middle aged woman??”:noway: I take my DDs wardrobe advice more seriously now!

Judy – Logging in everything here really does make me realize what I’m consuming… and sometimes why I’m not losing… it’s still hard after 50 though! What a lovely day you had with your dad at the cemetery. I’m glad he held onto his balloon until after the guard left. :flowerforyou:

:smile: Glenda --- We never stop worrying about our kids, especially when they’re driving. I’m so glad your daughter is ok. Hope you’re feeling better.

Renny and Meg – I drink copious amounts of tea in the evening to prevent myself from eating!! I’m an evening snacker no doubt!:drinker:

:flowerforyou: Jane – you are so beautiful! And your daughter is stunning! Thanks for sharing your photos. I love “seeing” everyone after getting to know them through these threads!

:flowerforyou: Jo – I bet you looked fantastic in your new dress!Laughing with friends is the best medicine for anything at all!

Jodi – your smiling pic makes me smile !:wink:

Grandmallie --- my girlfriend went to the dr about her plantar fasciatis and was told that the treadmill is the worst thing for it. I think the elliptical is the least stressful, but I had to learn to put pressure on my heels and not on the balls of my feet. My toes kept going to sleep! It was awful.:sad:

Still so much more to say, but I am going to try and go to the gym early this am. After all this talk about the fitbit, I want one!!! Is there a model that I should get? Is there a difference? I use an ipod, but my little one was accidentally ruined in the wash. I got a new one, but it doesn’t clip on (very irritating!)

Have a happy day! :flowerforyou:

Tammy in Va Beach
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    DeeDee - thanks for the feedback on Spanx and the dresses. Will be going shopping with an honest friend in mid-March to try things on.

Katla - hope you heal up from your fall. What a shock!

Buzzing back to work shortly -- hope ya'll have a great day.

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,739 Member
    Options
    morning ladies, back from the gym~I slept well for the first 5 hrs then I was awake for the next 3, then fell back asleep again, woke up exsausted..tried the elliptical for about 5 minutes and then went back to the trusty recumbent for 15 minutes then onto the different machines..
    I dont know what is wrong with me but just feel so tired, wasn't really motivated today but did do 45 minutes all together..not really losing weight either sorta in a rut I guess but I do log my food,trying to do 1200 cal a day I do drink more than 8 glasses of water a day.
    It is rainy and dreary today here so maybe that has a bit to do with it.
    I know someone here had a recipe for lowfat brownies with wheat bran ,I made them and put them in the freezer,just cant remember what the calorie count was.. any answer for me? was it you Dee Dee?
    well enough of my whining :tongue:
    sorry to be a downer today:indifferent: :indifferent:
  • lua620
    lua620 Posts: 31
    Options
    Good morning all. I wish I had the time to read all of your posts. Tried to catch up on a few of the most recent ones.

Meg: Very funny.

Amanda: I had a coworker from he!! and the day she retired was one of the happiest days of my life! lol

Jane: Beautiful picture. I couldn't figure out who was the daughter and who was the mother.

Gail: Great dresses. I love the green lace one.

I know I missed a lot of you and I'm sorry, I promise I'll try to do better. Off to a budget meeting (boring), have a great day all, will try to check in later between jobs.

LuAnn
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Morning Buttercups!

Hope everyone is having a good day so far. Katla, I hope you are feeling better after your fall. I had a rough night, but got through it. Really tired today. Its cold and cloudy. We have a chance of a little snow (first we have really had this year) for the next couple of days, but it probably won't be much or last long.

I was contemplating trying spaghetti squash, however, I have never made it. Anyone have advice?
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Grandmaillee
    Don't give up it will come off eventually. 45 min on a non motivated day is great.

lua
    it is certainly hard to keep up.

Jolene
    There's different ways with spaghetti squash. You can cut it in half put it on a cookie sheet with a bit of water in the overn for about an hour, or in microwave for i'd say 20 min. If you pull it out easy it's done if not give it a few more min.
    My favorite yet is with spaghetti sauce.

Well guess I better get on with my day. It's ten and all I did so far is my dishes lol.
    So going for a nice soak and relax in the hot tub. Then a nice shower and I think I might just crawl back in bed. Was up at 5 am for no apparent reason. Just couldn't sleep.

Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hello again beauties:flowerforyou:

I have just a few minutes so I thought I would respond a bit!

Katla:smile: Ouch...your poor knees and shoulder!!! Shame on that recycle bin dragging you down after it:angry: ! Keep putting ice on your shoulder, hope you feel better soon!

LindaC:smile: Powerpuff winner!!!! I bet it was a lot of fun!!!

Dazzo62:smile: Welcome to the group, you'll love it here, this is a great group of women!!!

Valeriemcmich:smile: Hi there, jump right in and join in the conversation!

Gail:smile: let us know which dress you choose!

Tammy:smile: Yay for sunshine!!! It's here too :glasses: , and what a hugh difference in my mood:bigsmile: ! I have the FitBit "Ultra", and I love it, my DD and DSIL have the " One" . I'm not real sure the difference except the One is smaller and it syncs with the iPhone, maybe someone here who has the One can tell you more, they are coming out with a bracelet model this spring, I don't know anything about it. The Ultra is on sale right now..from 100.00 to 79.95. Hope that helped some.

Grandmallie:smile: No, it wasn't me with the recipe, I think it's Michele (Exermom), but I'm not sure. You can always put the ingredients in the recipe builder, it's under the food section here, it will calculate it for you. Or you might just want to go back through the posts and look for Michele's posts.

LuAnn:smile: Budget meetings are boring:grumble: , hope it doesn't last too long!!!

Jolene:smile: It's so nice to see you back here!!!! Hope you continue to feel better! I love spaghetti squash, cut in half and take the insides out, place on a cookie sheet cut side down and bake for 40 minutes or so at 350 degrees, or maybe 400 degrees ( I forget, I haven't made it in awhile), when it's done take a fork and scrape the insides, it will come out in strands. I usually put a little pat of butter, salt & pepper and a bit of parmesan cheese on mine, it's also good with feta cheese, cherry tomatoes halved, and a bit of olive oil. Some people use it as spaghetti and put spaghetti sauce on it, I've never had it that way. You can also microwave the squash, however I've never done it that way so I don't know how long you should cook it. Let me know how you like it. Hope this helped some.

Got to dash now....drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cold & Sunny Wednesday:glasses:

Just time to say Hi, read the posts but once again no extra time.

Last night I couldn't get my phone to log in and the home computer was acting up:grumble: Hoping it's all better today, when you don't get logged in I always feel like I've forgotten to do something to make the day complete.

Back still a bit sore but was able to do some of my exercises just not my weights...maybe tonight.

If you eat it log it, if you move log it, and as you dring all your water log it:drinker:

Have a great day :flowerforyou: Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • ekafont
    ekafont Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I actually remembered to bring my water bottle to work with me ... YAY!! I am really, really, really going to try to drink more water. Had a great workout last night with my workout group. They are all 20 years younger and in MUCH better shape, but they really encourage me to keep going - especially when I'm ready to give up (which is often). One of the ladies in the group is the State "Tough Woman" champion if that tells you anything about the intensity of our workouts!

I've been wondering about the comfort of Spanx too ... I'm going to have to break down and buy one

Well - back to work now

More Later :happy:

Beth in SC
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Morning all. My trip was cancelled due to the snow so I had a little extra time this morning and got caught up with all the posts. I wonder if there is something weird going on as I slept poorly last night as well (of course waking early to the sound of snow blowers might have been a contributing factor)

It was so nice to change out of business clothes a throw on ratty jeans and a sweat shirt - after yesterday's 3 hour drive in that storm I plan on going nowhere today. My meeting will likely be resceduled for tomorrow, but the roads will hopefully be better by then.

I'm thinking of baking up a batch of whole grain banana muffins with the very very very ripe bananas I have on the counter but I just found a recipe from Cooking light that uses Nutella in a banana bread for the same calories - I'm a sucker for Nutella so I think indulgent will win over whole grain for the same calories

Gail - I agree with others - love the green lace dress. Let us know what you pick

Katia - ouch. Hope you are feeling better today

Jane - beautiful pictures of you and your daughter. I don't even know how to post pictures so good for you sharing them here

Dazzo62 - welcome!

Cheryl - hope you weren't snowed in too badly

Tammy - sunshine, how I miss it (it's still snowing here)

Have a great day everyone. Jodios
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ~ It is brisk and sunny here in So Cal. Great weather for Hot Flashes :laugh: I tried out kickboxing at my new gym..I switched in December. It was good..sore calfs, abs and butt :blushing: Tonight Cozmosize and tomorrow something easy maybe..Friday I am off to San Diego for my Urban Warrior Dash.

I logged everything yesterday and opps...I guess I know some of the reason for my gain over the past few months. It was eye opening...still need to get to the store for more lower calorie snacks etc.

Michele ~ go to bodybuilder.com under Jamie Eason..she has some great recipes. That's where I got the protein bar recipe she also has a choc bar as well.
    Gail ~ I only saw the green lace dress...beautiful:love: I use bottom half spanx..like bike shorts..I have a few pairs from different places..Target Ross etc. They work great.
    Grandmallie ~ Hey good job getting to the gym!!!! There's a positive :wink:
    Jolenecl ! Try the spaghetti squash!! Marinara or spray butter...yum

Well time to get to work. Have a great day full of good choices

Judy
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind comments on the pictures (and your patience in looking at all of that URL pasting! I wish there was a way to delete the posts like that, but I could only find an edit button). I’ve been wanting to post some pictures since last July, so there are about 4 more of them that I wanted to share. Then I’ll stop, I promise!

I’ve finally started logging again today. I decided that starting was the only way to keep going! I’m going to shovel my parents out today, and bring them some groceries, so that should keep me out of trouble (I hope!).

Jo – It sounds like you had a great evening out with friends… in your new dress, no less! I’m sure you looked fabulous! :bigsmile:

Jolene – Bronchitis is definitely not fun. I hope you feel better quickly!

Katia – So sorry about your fall! I hope you aren’t too bruised up.

DeeDee – I’ve never tried Spanx, but may need to check it out. I’ve looked at them, but didn’t think there was any way that they would stretch enough to go on me. They look so tiny! :blushing:

Tammy – I see that you live in Virginia Beach? What a fun place! I visited there once a few years ago, and enjoyed walking around.

Jane in Colorado

<3df06261-a29f-4367-9cf6-ecdc42772a6c_zpsc48545c8.jpg>

This was taken at the author reception I hosted two weeks ago. The author, Mary Carwile (in her flight uniform) has written two books: one about her experiences becoming a flight attendant at age 56 and the other about her battle with breast cancer.

<Ceremony22_zpsbc4addbe.jpg>

Another wedding photo! I made the veil to match the Oleg Cassini wedding gown. I put the dress onto my copy machine and made a picture of the cutouts on the dress. Then I cut them out of stiff-backed satin with an exacto knife (47 holes per cutout) and glued sequins, beads, etc. on to match the dress. The wedding will be featured in the May issue of Denver's "Her Life" magzine. We will have a 3 page layout with photos and story.
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi all.. I am new here. I have come to the sad realization that although I feel like a 20 something, I can't eat like one. I am still trying to find my balance between eating a bit of what I like instead of a lot of it. Pizza and breads are my diet killers. Otherwise, 50+ isn't as terrible as I expected :laugh:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I wanted to put a picture of my horses on here but photobucket isn't working. I am going to see what this does.

20130227_103446.jpg

That one didn't work but now photobucket is back. Here it is

Snow20136_zpsc4f7d9fc.jpg

Ha!!! Got them both to work. Just took a quick picture with my phone after turning them out and giving them hay. It's pretty now, but will be a muddy mess by the end of the week.
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump for later..............at work right now :blushing:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    katla - one of the things that I like about the senior bowling is that for the most part it really isn't competitive. Oh, there are a few people there who get really into "how many games did you win" and "how many points did you win" and "what's your team's standing". Me? I don't even know my handicap. I figure I have two goals, one is to have fun and the other is to improve. And if I only succeed at one, then I've won. Vince can't understand how when he asks me "so, how many games did you win?", my answer is "I dunno"

Well, the PLAN today is to go to get a paper, then go to the Y, then home to clean the condo and do laundry and pack. We're planning to leave tomorrow <boo>. Just last night Vince said "we'll pack your trunk tonight". Since the cars are out in the open, we don't want to put anything in the back seat until tomorrow morning. Guess it took the lock incident for him to realize that we really should pack things the night before. He's also mentioned about towing my car with his car. His car has a 4,000 ton capacity to tow, so we just need to find out how much my car weighs.

Lin - how neat that you raced! From what I've read, almost all of the contestants on Biggest Loser gain the weight back after they go off the show. They no longer have a nutritionist cooking for them, they suddenly have to go back to the real world (jobs, kids, etc) and don't have 3 or 4 hours to just exercise. For me, someone screaming at me "faster, faster" isn't motivational. I don't want to exercise to the point where I am physically sick, I want to enjoy it, work up a sweat, get my heartrate up, and not dread working out again. Good luck at TOPS tonight, good for you going regardless.

dazzo and valerie and lisalnUP - welcome

grandmalle - it was me who posted about the muffins with wheat bran. I have it in the database as "ww recipe from a friend". Let me know if you still can't find the nutritional info and I'll send it to you. I ran the ingredients thru my mastercook a while ago so that's how I came up with the nutritionals. You're doing great!

Lin - it seems whenever I've put my spaghetti squash in water and roasted it, the squash is very watery. Have you ever made it without roasting it in water? I wonder if that'll help. Guess I need to roast some more. I like it with tomato sauce, too. But if it's watery, then the sauce gets watered down.

Did 45 min of yoga and then 45 min of a step class. Tomorrow, we leave (boo). Did laundry, vacuumed, washed the floor. I keep forgetting that this place isn't like our house and it doesn't take nearly as long to clean top to bottom.

Beth in SC - yea for you remembering your water bottle. I'm sure it's the heat and humidity down here, but I honestly find that being down here I want to drink all the time.

jodios - it's good that your trip was cancelled. You don't need to be driving in all that snow

Jane - that veil is absolutely and positively BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Cheryl - what beautiful pictures. Reminds me of Christmas card pictures.

Going to post this now so grandmalle will get the info.

Have a great day everyone. We'll go out to dinner tonight, this seafood place. We met the president of Newcomers there about two years ago and she really likes their butter. I think it's cinnamon or honey flavored. Anyway, I remember giving her mine so I'm going to ask them if we can have some to take back to her.

Michele from NC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. For some reason I am having a great day. I feel good, I think I look good, my pants are loose, I beat my hair into submission before work this morning, I just feel great. Hope you all are having the same kind of day. Cool and windy here, but only a dusting of snow. Tomorrow is my final exam so I was doing final clinical evaluations today with my graduate student.

Tonight I’ll be on the elliptical again; last night I did yoga and balance exercises on the wii and my wii fit age is now 45! Yoga is still not easy for me as I think all my joints have been replaced with steel pipes! I am so inflexible. But I’m trying!

A little sad news; DD#1 failed the entrance exam to cosmetology school. She can take it one more time. I gave her information about provisional admissions and waivers, so if she fails again she is supposed to call the college president, make an appointment, and discuss it. I don’t know what we will do if she can’t get in…she needs some kind of career. For the newbies here, she is adopted from Russia and has some sort of cognitive problem or learning disability but it can’t be diagnosed due to her language barrier. Frustrating!

Jane: I’m jealous of your snow, but be careful out there! I couldn’t get your newest pic to open but now as I read down, it’s the one I saw yesterday?....Later….now I see the beach and sunset…beautiful! Later yet….OMG what a beautiful bride and wedding picture! That backdrop is stunning!

Laura: hope your back is feeling better today!

Jo: actually I would love to write a “naughty” book! Wouldn’t that be a hoot? But alas, no, just genitor-urinary trauma and STDs. As my ancient blue-haired mother once said (about writing on STDs) “And what makes YOU the expert?” I wasn’t quite sure how to respond! Yes, a jicama is like a Mexican turnip…sort of… firm pale flesh that is sweet and crunchy. It’s great in salads of all kinds. Sort of like a water chestnut in texture.

Jo; Get to feeling better!

Jodios: stay safe in the snow. Are you in Colorado? Sorry, I can’t remember!

Judy: good question! I’ll have to ask them next time when they stop howling! That was cool that your dad got to release his balloon!

Michele: I just noticed how much shopping you do! I go to the grocery store(s) once a week (I do go to 2 of them) and I do “household” shopping once a month. My family knows if something is about ½ out of something, they better put it on my walmart list. Kind of mean I guess, but they never forget because they know I won’t go. DD#1 once asked “What if I need pads” and I said “take quarters to school”! She was horrified, but no one has ever forgotten, so I guess it was good training! Of course for something mandatory like that I’d go, but I wasn’t telling them that!

Carol: no, I live in southeast Nebraska. Small town called Papillion just outside Omaha.

Suebedew: we sometimes do wii together on game night if that’s what someone picks. I’m with you on food. There is so much confusing information out there; do what works!!!

Gail: I love the green dress! That is gorgeous and I bet would look good with your hair color! No experience with spanx, but all the movie stars at the Oscars wore them! (I know….I Peeked LOL). They all say they do anyway.

OmaRenny: I hope the little one didn’t keep you up all night!

Katla: OMy goodness! I’m so sorry about your fall! I hope the shoulder gets better soon! Take care of yourself!

LindaC: fingers crossed for a good weigh in!

DeeDee: hope you got your rest!

Tammy: one thing that works to keep me from snacking in the evening, well 2 things really…we eat around 7 and I go brush my teeth right afterwards. For some reason, brushing my teeth makes me feel like I am just done with eating!

Grandmallie: have you seen a doctor recently about your fatigue? Sorry if you already talked about this earlier. Good for you to keep getting some activity in anyway! It will pay off!

Jolene: I had spaghetti squash the other day. I’m sure others will have better ideas, but I cooked it in the oven for about 30 minutes, rotating it every 10 minutes or so. After it cooled a bit, I just scraped it out and put spaghetti sauce on top. Simple, but really good

Well I just had an amazing interruption. One of my faculty gave me a photo (5x7) from the family of a lady who is in one of the nursing homes my students are in. The photo was taken the day before the lady died and she is in bed, reaching out in front of her and she is staring off into the distance. There is a saying etched on the photo “When your moment arrives, all those you have loved and that have gone before you will be reaching for your hand to guide the way.”

OMG I have been bawling. That a family would think so highly of the students that they would go to the trouble of giving us this photo is just amazing. Every once in a while I need to stop and realize how much we touch the people we care for. Nursing is one powerful career. :heart: :heart: :heart:

OK< drying my eyes now I have to get back to work. Make it a good day and take care! Meg
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    MegBlair - what about dog grooming?? It costs about $5000 and I don't think there is an entrance exam. I always thought I would like to do this when I retire. You can work independently or for someone.

This is a warning. This is post 499. Look before you type 500 lines and hit "Post Reply" just for it to go to never never land because you were post 501!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    Got to the gym 2xs this week,good.
    Have a good one
    hugs
    jane