WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    <SunriseatPlayaa_zps78f4659b.jpg>

Sunrise from our balcony in Playa del Carmen.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Laura!!!

Got it so the first one shows.
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Good evening everyone!

Well I have never googled so much since I joined this thread.

A great Geography lesson as I get to know the states of the USA and your food diaries include things I have never heard of.

Jane a great learning curve for you too - great pictures! My 1st profile picture only showed my legs as I did not want to show my camera as I took a picture at the mirror. So I learnt how to take a time release picture on my camera. Never too old to learn something new.

Laura - yes Downtown Abbey end had me in tears!

I am a bit bemused by the Fitbit too! I use the pedometer on my iPod .
    Wessecg - I lost my iPod once and was bereft . Retraced my route ( not on a horse) and someone had handed it in at Costco. ( yea we have that store in the UK) I was so grateful for the honesty.

Oh Meg you have such a great sense of humour - are you sure it is a medical book you are writing and not "50 shades of Gray " !! I love your description on the Wii too! Once found my SIL behind me as I hula hooped on the Wii. Well if you can make someone laugh why not?

Talking of laughing had a great time at the Indian restaurant with my friends last night. Trouble is we all make so much noise. The food was great and I made sensible choices because I had planned. Wore my new " reaching target" dress and felt "sassy". Walked there to improve my steps!

Glenda - what a dreadful experience you have had. This week can only get better.

I would like to write more, but must go

Keep smiling
    Jo
    Wales UK
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good thoughts:flowerforyou: , Ladies. I have coughed my way through the day at work:sick: :angry: . I don’t feel as bad as yesterday, but I must be disturbing my suite mates:noway: . The woman at the end of the hall came down to offer me a humidifier (that was a humanitarian effort for her, I am so bad):bigsmile: . Anyway, it is bronchitis. So lots of meds and inhalers, etc. no big deal. Just can’t go to the gym until I can breathe without wheezing. Just looks like February was not my month. I HOPE March is much more productive for m:ohwell: e.

Glenda sounds like you have had a rough week too. I am glad your daughter is ok. That is so scary:frown: .
    Janehadji- what a gorgeous view. And your daughter and you are beautiful together. (sigh) I love the beach.:glasses:
  • rasmoo
    rasmoo Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for talking about your FitBit. I've ordered one and am looking forward to using it. I hope I'll be motivated to walk more. I ordered an extra one for my son, Matt, who's also trying to get in better shape. He was walking 5 or 6 miles a day then he got a girlfriend (sigh) and they became cozy couch potatoes.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I just got in and have to start dinner so only have a couple of minutes. Forgive me for not responding to all of you individually.

We are in the midst of a terrible snow storm. Took me almost 3 hours to do a 30 minute drive. DH had snow blowed but we've gotten so much I still got stuck in the driveway. I have a business trip to take in the morning so he said he would go out tonight after it finally stops and snow blow again. Such a sweetie.

Glenda what an awful week you've had. I hope everyone is on the mend

To all those feeling under the weather - hope you feel better soon. This has been a tough flu season.

To all those dealing with bad weather - stay safe. Cheryl hope your okay

Meg - as always thanks for the laughs!

Jodios
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,740 Member
    Options
    Good evening Chica's,
    Hope everyone's day went well,the FitBit is a small device that you clip to yourself and keeps track of exercise and stuff, more fancy than a pedometer... you can go to the website and like I said they are coming out with a wrist/bracelet one this spring for about 100.00 it looks promising:smile:
    Again I tried the treadmill and again I cant do that anymore,the plantar faciitis on my left heel kills me for days afterward.:angry:
    So will maybe try the elliptical tomorrow on the easiest possible level to get my body used to it...
    sorry to hear the midwest is getting hammered, we got a doozy a few weeks ago 3 feet:noway:
    love the wedding pictures~how beautiful...
    So glad to have some friends to hangout with on here, even though we are scattered all over the world ,we are connected:bigsmile:
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Well...I have logged all day so far and I'm HUNGRY!!!! I think I know now that I have been going over everyday and that equals a gain! Well I guess I will have some fruit and a big glass of water. Then get to work. Haven't gotten much done today..life has distracted me. I guess I am lucky to pretty much work on my own and make my own schedule.

We made it to the cemetary today with my Dad. I bought purple tulips and got 4 purple and Teal balloons one for each of us me, Dad, Sis and her 4 yr old daughter. We arranged the flowers and then we each wrote a Birthday message on our balloons and were going to send them off to heaven when a security guard staired us down...so we made a wish and each of us popped our balloons on the grass. The security guard drove off...since Dad was in his wheel chair he still had his....so he let it go!!! It was really nice with a few tears included. :cry: :heart:

Glenda - OMG that is a phone call I hope I never get!!! So happy she is OK!!! Take care of yourself and feel better soon!!!
    Meg ~ Good job giving the family a show...what the heck are they doing sitting on their butts watching!!??? :laugh: Love yoga!
    Jane ~ You are both beautiful!!!!!

Well maybe some kickboxing at the gym tonight or running on the track at the college. I have to earn some more calories so I can have more than a salad for dinner...this sucks :laugh:
    Judy
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Cheryl - I've only heard great things about the customer service at fitbit. Yea for you!!!! They certainly live up to their reputation for good service, that's for sure, and you're proof positive.

BJ - feel better. Sending virtual chicken soup

Meg - LOL telling your dh about your chapter, now that's something. I did enjoy the race. It's too bad that Danica dropped back to 8th place, she'd been doing so well. But you can tell that she learned a lot. It's interesting, the headline down here wasn't the fact that Jimmy Johnson won, but about Danica. I think she's a good role model for girls, showing them that they can do what was historically a male sport.

jodios - so sorry about your friend's dad. That was nice of you to go and sit shiva. Maybe you can confirm or correct me, but when someone close to you dies, are you supposed to wear black for an entire year? What a wonderful dh you have to reblow your driveway!

Lynda from BC - welcome! How great you got a group together to work out. I like to be in a group, to me it is very motivating. But sometimes I just have to do something on my own since there isn't a class like it (like the Bosu or step). Oh, logging food is so important...and very eye opening.

jmkmomm - I also agree with Jo and DeeDee, the beautiful woman inside of you shines thru

Judy - how do you make the pumpkin protein bars? I'm not so crazy about buying bars, they are usually full of sugar and additives. But I wouldn't mind making some myself. Great quote.

Glenda - what a horrible thing to have happen to your daughter. Thank the good Lord that she's not seriously injured. How nice of you to have those grands over. And then your daughter for her recovery, you are one special lady, that's for sure

Jane - both women in that pic you posted are gorgeous. Whichever one is your daughter, I know that you're proud of her

Jane - stay safe.

Laura - feel better fast

I did about 50 minutes of a body pump workout on utube. Didn't realize it, but then a class came in so I forwent the abs portion and just stretched on my own. Then I did an hour of a downloadable workout that I have. While I was 1/2 way thru the workout, they started a class (I knew one was starting so I just stayed in the back). I have yet to understand how people can find loud music to be motivating. But that's just me. Afterwards, I went to Publix to get a paper and also some soy crisps (I don't think I can get them by me), then I went to Pinch a Penny. FIL had this weaved lounge chair for the pool and I was hoping that's where he bought it. They didn't have a webbed chair, but I got something that has a mesh that you lay in, so I'm going to try it. If it works out, I'll get another one next time we come down here but first I'll look on Amazon to see if I can get it. On Amazon I don't have to pay shipping or tax. Then to CVS to get some antihistamine. Really, I had a $5 coupon that I needed to use by the end of the month. It wound up costing me $1 and change. Came home, had some tuna and Arctic Zero (that's good stuff), Vince fixed this shelf in the closet so I went to another WinnDixie (I never knew about it) but wasn't real impressed. Then I had to go to Publix again to get some veggies for dinner tonight and to take with me when we leave. Then to the Chamber of Commerce to get updated phone books and then back here.

Tomorrow I'll go to yoga and then the step class.

Just logged my food. YIKES! The sodium. But there are things that I just need to finish up. It looks like the veggie chick'n'nuggets are one of the big culprits. Well, I guess you can't get everything. They WERE sort-of low in calories and high in protein. Guess it's really a give-and-take situation.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele from NC
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    So Jane, that is you in the picture - my goodness you look young!!!

Well I had to leave work a few hours after I got there because it started snowing so hard. Jodio - do you live near me? I can't remember (over 50 ya know!) I parked my car at the barn, did all the barn work alone and let the horses in before they all became snow angels outside. Then I drove my vehicle with 4 wheel drive home in the heavy wet snow. Took an hour to go 3 miles.

Cooked chicken curry tonight - it came out awesome and looks like it's fairly low calorie too. If I can stop eating right now (5:52) my calorie count would be awesome.

Megblair - do you live in Missouri?

Never mind Jodio, now I remember you live right near my barn. We'll have to meet in real life and celebrate when we reach size 8s (or whatever your final size is).
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been watching a lot of Dr. Oz that I had taped. Now I'm really confused about healthy food! Oh well, guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
    Jane H in Co - No way you are that beautiful girl's mother. You look like a younger sister! I couldn't believe my eyes. You are so young looking. Good for you. My DD's in CO have had lots of snow also.
    Meg - I've missed your funny posts. What a hoot! I wonder if the book is that funny.:laugh: Are the girls doing the WII with you? It's a good family activity. We have bowling tournaments and do a winner plays winner round robin.
    Jo - I cooked some kale in water with some smoked sausage and added it to the left over potato soup and it was so good! Didn't know it was a Welsh dish. When we lived in England we were suppose to go to Ireland and Wales but our babysitter got pregnant and couldn't keep our kids. So that's on my bucket list now!
    grandmallie - what's a Chica's? Sounds like Vit F to me.
    Didn't take notes and that's all I can remember. I promise to get better at this! Been thinking about my FEB goals ad believe I'm not meeting all of them.:embarassed:

Sue in TX
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    a late bump....trying to keep up with the reading tho!

Have a nephew's wedding coming up in a couple of months and need to go shopping for a dress, which will undoubtedly require different undergarments. Anyone wear Spanx and what has your experience been with them? Which pieces have you worn?

Love this dress: http://www.cache.com/detail/embroidered-lace-bateau-dress/S5030T00801246/32# - but pricey!

Like this one, too: http://www.dillards.com/product/Chaus-GeoPrint-Knit-Dress_301_-1_301_503491448?df=03866792_zi_clover - great colors.

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    There is a YMCA here, I used to have a membership. I qualifiy through Silver Sneakers on my insurance. I just don't have the motivation to get up and go to the classes. I want something that I set the time to go. I need to see if I can do any of the bikes or treadmills there.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Meg - you crack me up.

I am writing this on DD laptop, because she and her hubby have gone out and Oma (that's me) is babysitting. Had lots of fun and am sure I burned calories in the process:laugh: . The little one is asleep now, and if they don;t come home soon, I'll be going horizontal too :noway: :yawn: :yawn:

Goodnight and ttyl

:heart: Renny
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Renny: I’ve watched Biggest Loser a couple of times. The biggest annoyance is their scale for the weigh in at the end of the show. The "suspenseful ticking" ticks me off. LOL. I’m unconvinced that this is actually a healthy way to lose weight, but I guess it would be exciting and motivating to be part of a team and on TV. I’ll take our Vitamin F team any time! It has sure made a big difference for me.:bigsmile:

jmkmomm: There are some really useful facial massage videos on You Tube that teach you how to give yourself a facial massage. I’ve found this to be a good thing to do every morning. I don’t really remember every morning, but I do it several times a week. The videos I saw were all done by Asian ladies, and I think I remember the older woman saying that this was a cultural practice. One video was a young woman who worked on her own face, and I got the most help from watching it.:smile:

Amanda: I’m sorry you work with a horrible woman. Luckily you don’t have to take her home. Have you considered a voodoo doll? :devil: Just kidding.:flowerforyou:

glendalight: I’m so sorry that a virus caught you. I hope you are well soon.:flowerforyou:

Judy: Your birthday celebration at the cemetery was such a lovely thing to do. :flowerforyou: I’ll bet it meant a lot to each of you, and especially to your dad.:heart::heart:

Suebdew: We have wii bowling tournaments, too. I never win, but I play anyway. :tongue: My DIL is a real competitor!:happy:

I fell down the steps leading to my house this morning. :frown: I was trying to let our recycle bin down the steps ahead of me and it pulled me after it.:grumble: Ouch! I have skinned knees and I’m not even sure what I did to the shoulder I landed on. :noway: It isn’t broken, and I’ve managed to keep the swelling down—I spent most of the day with an icepack on it. It really doesn’t feel good to wear a bra right now.:ohwell:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Well I read 19 and 20 just to much to catch up on. And i'm working on memory.

Meg.
    Your book will be interesting with some funny readings in it. Makes the medical book less boring.
    And the wii keep giving wii shows lol.

Jane
    Those pictures are beautiful. What look alikes.

Michele
    I raced in what was called the powder puff. Years a go when our town had a race track was fun. Very competitive. I have trophy for winning. Was the year end winner one year. But never raced against the men. Would have liked to try though.

Katla
    That biggest loser is but a show. How does one lose that much weight in a week. You have to go beyond what is good and healthy i'm sure. No one in real life does 8 hours of exercise it takes all my all to get 30 min. a day. And every now and then I get an extra 30 min. But like I said now and then.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself to bad. In your fall.

For all other them that are under the weather.
    Those stuck in the darn snow just remember spring is one day closer.
    Those having a tough time of this and them having it easier.

As for me i'm still yo yoing and getting mighty fed up of it. tops tonight and sure hoping I can stay under 200. But if not so be it. I'm going in anyhow. Got to face the music.

So let's see that today is good.
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • dazzo62
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies.

I have been a member of MFP for a bit but just used it privately. I have since learned the value of "community" and was happy to spot a group for women ages 50+.

I have just been perusing the latest postings and will try to catch up with everyone.

FYI - I think the weight loss on The Biggest Loser is a bit dramatic. Many recent studies show that quick weight loss to start is a great motivator (say 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks?), but I don't know about those people on the show. I have maintained a pretty big weight loss for a long time and it was a more gradual process.

Have a great day!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Once again I`m short on time:sad: ! I need to check in here a couple times a day to keep up with everyone!

Gail:smile: I checked the dresses out, I LOVE the dress from Cache:love: , the other dress is pretty, and I`m sure you will look beautiful no matter which one you choose, the Cache dress is my favorite though! I do wear Spanx some, I have a few of their camis, but my all time favorite is the "Hide & Sleek" Full panty bodysuit, I have 3 of them and I wear them at least 3 times a week, great under dresses, and under pants...no pany lines, and it`s comfortable!!! I think I got mine from either Belk or Dillards. I think but I`m not sure it was around 50.00, I think it`s well worth the money, washes well, and I hang it to dry. I would say buy the dress you want and take it with you to try on different shapewear to see what works for you! You`ll be beautiful in either dress!!!

Jane:smile: You and your daughter are stunning!!! I would love to be looking at that beautiful sunrise too!!!

Glenda:smile: I`m glad you`re feeling better! And glad your DD is okay, how scary!!!

It`s after 7am already, got to go now:cry: .

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in finally dry NC
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    Just saying "hello everyone"