What do you pay for your gym?

Options

Replies

• marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I struck lucky on an £90 for 12 months deal, but then I'm using the gym at the university with student rates. That's... £7.50 a month, which I believe is around $12 and gets me unlimited access to the gym, the swimming pools, the fitness classes and all the indoor/outdoor courts. I'd pay more if I had a personal trainer over there, though.

Here in Manila I paid ~4000PHP which is ~$100 for 6 1-hour sessions with a personal trainer, but the gym access on its own is free as a guest of my parent's. I would have paid for more but I was only going to be here for another month... totally going back in June!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My office has a gym and just a yearly for the locker... I have spent money on free weights so I can do my routines at home - as they get heavier they get more expensive but they do have "kits" that probably would have been more practical - I just like my free weights :)

Also I have unjury protein powder which I ordered online -- I don't use it every day though.

There's a lot you can do at home and i enjoy the privacy of home more than the gym - the main thing that's hard at home is back related a la pull ups and also I don't have a bench or "barbell" just dumbbells. There are many equivalents on free weights that have served me well.

I was at a personal training gym once a week through Hanson Fitness - that was reasonable if I got a package but they showed me good routines I could do on my own and I need to conserve funds now... so that's another way to go, too - get a trainer for a limited time to show you workouts based on your needs, then take it from there.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I live in England - my gym is £38 a month (maybe $75, not sure of the exchange rate) and I pay £155 for 6 sessions of personal training, and have 1 or 2 a week. The gym membership includes classes, so I don't have to pay extra for those.

I don't buy protein shakes or anything, I eat healthily, but I would do anway.

I've got a Zumba game for the xbox that my husband got me for Christmas.
  • Cherry_blossom73
    Cherry_blossom73 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    $10.45 every 2 weeks. I'm at a gym that is very basic, it's owned by a bigger named gym. It has everything I need, just no classes which is fine.
  • jakeschafer
    Options
    $0.00 it's completely covered by my medical. The other good thing is, is that it's brand new and it is always empty except for an occasional group.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    $36 fortnight for gym, but I have a month free (yay) and it's the top package (got it $10 cheaper)

As for other things..... dont normally buy them.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I work out at an LA Fitness close to where I live. My membership, with tax, comes to about $32 a month, but if I work out 12 times, my health insruance picks up $20 of that $32.

The only supplement I'm currently taking is CLA, which is about $16 a month.
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    im not going to one atm as been on maternity start back at the end of this month but my gym is 25 pm and i get use of pool sauna ice skating all fitness classes and i dont spend anything on protein ect
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    $33 a fortnight for the gym - this includes all the classes and use of the sauna.
  • emtb319
    Options
    $16/month at Lucille Roberts Fair Lawn, gold status. Includes all classes and I can go to just about any other Lucille Roberts if I want.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've paid up to £72 p/m in the past (gym was right by my work at the time, so it was worth it for the fact I went.)
    Now have a squat rack with bench, multigym and rower setup in my work storage unit. Also have a turbo trainer at home which I might take down there and a cross trainer which I've leant to a friend.

Spend far too much on meat at the moment, so no supplements - well apart from the bottle of cheap cod liver oil tablets that my mum gave me as she had some spare!
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've just joined the nearest gym to my home (about a mile walk), which is £47 per month, and no joining fee this month (usually £10). I like it because there's no contract, and if I know I'm going to be away one month, I can give notice to cancel my subscription and re-activate it when I'm around again. That's good for the summer, too, when I'm more active outside.

I was debating whether to join at all, as I walk everyday, but I decided it would be good for short periods of time (six-eight weeks) when I wanted to work intensively on some goal or another (currently to reduce my waist line by 3 inches).

I'm also thinking of getting my employer to become a member, too, as there are better rates for individual members.
  • susiemeri
    susiemeri Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I pay $43.00 per month for our gym/rec center - that's for my whole family, and there are 6 of us. We have an Olympic sized pool, basketball courts, free weight room and machines - and then if you want to purchase extras it's additional (like yoga, personal training, Zumba...pretty much anything you would need another instructor for).

I don't spend extra on food or supplements, although my family knows to keep their paws off my shiratake noodles and light bread! The changes I've made in my diet usually trickle down to the whole family, and I joined a coop for veggies recently, so our grocery budget hasn't seen that much of a change.

Oh, and yesterday I spent 225 dollars on a new (to me) bike for the spring. And I also need a new helmet.
  • herbalkitty
    herbalkitty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I work at a sports complex so gym, all classes, facilities and pool are free for me :happy:
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I pay £25/month but that is for gym, swimming pool, sports hall (badminton 5-a-side football etc), climbing wall for myself, my wife and my two kids.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a corporate membership plan at Goodlife in Canada, and I can go to any location, with towels. Costs me $37 a month, including taxes. I don't spend any money on supplements, etc, but try to eat a balanced, healthy diet.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    80 a month family, includes classes, pool, kids classes, child care. (That's with a $40 break from our health insurance)
  • Dani76babi
    Dani76babi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am a college student so I got a special rate at my uni gym £150 for the entire school year (9 months) for all the sports center activities. That's the gym, the sauna, the sports courts, classes, personal training, etc.
    150 divided by 9 is roughly £16-17 per month or about $28 per month.

For the past 4 months, I have spent about $30 on other fitness related items. I don't do a lot of supplements or anything, so my expenses are low on that aspect.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I go to Anytime Fitness and pay $32/month. That includes classes and the convenience of it being open 24 hours, 7 days a week. The one complaint I have is that some of the locations are transitioning from live class instructors to classes taught on a projection screen. I've never used the projector, but apparently the classes are supposed to be 'on demand'. There is a variety of classes to choose from, and I can be by myself in the class if I would like. I just don't know if I can justify spending $32/month for essentially JUST equipment.

I don't spend money on protein shakes,etc, but I will splurge about once a quarter or twice a year on workout clothes.
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When a went to a gym it was roughly $50 a month, which included classes, all areas of the facility, and 2-3 free sessions with a personal trainer. Now I workout at home, but I do use protein powder which is about $25. My workout videos are free (ah, the power of the internet), and I probably spent $20 on my workout equipment courtesy of my local thrift store (1lb, 2lb and 3.5lb hand weights, resistance bands, yoga mat).