Social Policing of "did you get your flu shot?" Yay or nay?

Options
MyChocolateDiet
MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
Just curious how you all feel about people asking if you got a flu shot. One school mom complained to me that she thought another mom did not get her kids and herself flu shots. That mom complained that a different mom openly asked her if she got her kids flu shots. I kind of wish no one would talk to me about it because they are all talking about each other and none of it involves me but do you think there is a fair amount of social policing about the flu shots? I'm getting a little sick of hearing about it. Do you think people have the right not to be confronted about this since some people seem as concerned about what's in those shots as other people seem about the flu itself?

I'm not asking who's wrong or right about getting the shot, just about whether it's right to ASK someone if they got it. for some reason HIPPAA or something like that comes to mind but since I'm a terrible "on the spot" responder, I'm just left dumb each time someone brings it up?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    While it is a personal choice, I feel that it is socially irresponsible to not get one. Roughly 90% of the population in a given area need to be immune in order for "herd immunity" to take place. The remaining 10% should be made up of those who have allergic reactions or sensitivities to such immunizations. A normal healthy adult who does not get one puts others at risk.
  • whierd
    Options
    But to answer your question, no, no one has the right to question anothers health choices.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I happen to use a service dog to assist me with a disability.

I get asked intrusive personal questions about my health all the time.

I've learned to respond, usually with a measure of grace unless its the 40th person in an hour who wants to know about my dog.

I say vague things like, "She's my service dog. She assists me with a medical condition."

If people press further, I will try to be polite yet firm and let them know that I understand their curiosity, and that I don't usually talk about my private health information with strangers. One woman on the bus burst into tears when I said this, but that was more about her bad day than mine.

When people ask about flu shots, I usually turn it around and give them the chance to talk about it by saying, "You sound really concerned about that. What is it that is important about flu shots to you?" Or "You have some strong feelings/opinions about the subject."

I recently had a low-probability exposure to measles through my job. It lead me on a trail of research to understand just how many kids aren't getting regular childhood vaccinations where I live. It's a little scary to think that people who can get vaccinated aren't, and are putting everyone who can't get vaccinated at risk.
  • whierd
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How about, it's none of your business? Or...just say yes or no..and if someone starts ranting just walk away. And yes, you can do this to PTA moms and to anyone else for that matter.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If a person is being nosy, then THEY are being rude, and you are not obligated to join in their rudeness, nor are you obligated to answer their questions. Just tell them it's a personal choice and everyone has different ways of thinking about it.

The only year I got a flu shot, I got 5 sinus infections. I will never get another flu shot. But I don't feel obligated to tell that to anyone.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I also agree that everyone who can get them should. I have a weakened immune system, and caught the flu despite getting my flu shot. I was over it faster than I would have been if I hadn't had the shot, but people who don't get it are putting medically fragile individuals at risk, and I have a problem with that.

To answer your question, if I felt like you did, and was asked, I'd say "That's kind of a personal question, don't you think?" And walk away.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.

I had a close friend who, whenever he would get the flu shot, ended up within a few days getting the flu..every time. And not just a mild case. Severe. He stopped getting them in junior high and afterwards, he either didn't get the flu or got a very mild case.
  • whierd
    Options

I had a close friend who, whenever he would get the flu shot, ended up within a few days getting the flu..every time. And not just a mild case. Severe. He stopped getting them in junior high and afterwards, he either didn't get the flu or got a very mild case.

Forgive me for being pedantic. He didn't get the flu, he only had flu-like symptoms. The flu virus in vaccines is dead.
  • whierd
    Options

How about, it's none of your business? Or...just say yes or no..and if someone starts ranting just walk away. And yes, you can do this to PTA moms and to anyone else for that matter.

I wish this were possible, but unfortunately there are "political" ramifications when you are perceived as rude, even if the other person were rude to begin with.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Forgive me for being pedantic. He didn't get the flu, he only had flu-like symptoms. The flu virus in vaccines is dead.

So I guess when the doctors would diagnose him with the flu..they were wrong. When I say severe, I mean severe. It wasn't you just end up at home and wait it out. It would get to the point his parents had to take him to the hospital.

And I'm not for or against..I'm just saying that some people may have good reasons.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    (HIPPA refers to other people sharing your health information
    As a nurse, if you're my patient, I can legally share your info with a doctor, physical therapist, accounting etc. for the purpose of providing care
    I cannot share your info with another patient without your express consent)

That being said, you don't need to tell anyone anything
    Except public health officials if it were a reportable disease
    Which the respiratory flu is not

Out of common courtesy, you may want to inform a teacher or school nurse if your child becomes ill with a contagious disease
    i.e. chicken pox etc.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Since I was diagnosed with MS I have had very few minor colds & never flu!! It seems to be the only positive in the midst of MS. With an over active immune system I seem to be resistant to these things!

I am a great believer in the value of immunisation, particularly in childhood for the usual stuff but as yet I am not convinced of the benefits of mass immunisation for flu. Those who are at risk should get the jab but for most of us, the ability to fight off infection is something our bodies need to practise......

Whatever your decision it is yours & nobody, except a health care worker has the right to ask & expect an answer!!
  • whierd
    Options

So I guess when the doctors would diagnose him with the flu..they were wrong. When I say severe, I mean severe. It wasn't you just end up at home and wait it out. It would get to the point his parents had to take him to the hospital.

And I'm not for or against..I'm just saying that some people may have good reasons.

Yes, the doctors were wrong if they said he had the flu. They likely did not know he had a flu shot or simply treated the symptoms to give him relief. Your friend, if he got severe symptoms, is one of those people with sensitivities that I mentioned in my first post. He should rely on herd immunity.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

You beat me to is.

Also I have a grandmother who is the most important person in the world to me. If she got the flu it would kill her. If she caught the flu and died because someone decided to not get it... There are on words to describe the rage I would feel.

Kinda reminds me of that Law and Order:SVU with Hilary Duff where her baby died because a kid who wasn't vaccinated with the measles went to the park where the baby was.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    Tell them simply, health records aren't public, so health CHOICES shouldn't be either.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    It's not a required immunization, and until it is, I'm not getting one. I am more than happy to tell people that. If they want to talk more about that, I can bore them to death with my unconventional viewpoints on a variety of health topics, this one included, and I can guarantee they will never ask again.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

The injection is dead
    The nasal spray is a weakened live virus
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    nay. it's my medical history and my privacy.