Social Policing of "did you get your flu shot?" Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    Everyones bodies react differently to the vaccines as they would any other medications. The only difference is they don't have a "some side affects may occur" book with a vaccine like they do a medication. Nobody in this post is right or wrong. EVERYONE WILL REACT DIFFERENTLY TO ANY TYPE OF VACCINE
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an immunization for anything in years. If my body is too weak to fight off something as pathetic as influenza, then I deserve death.

What about the elderly and babies, the two demographics most at risk, who can contract it from you while you may never show a symptom?

hen refer back to my statement, but replace 'my' and 'I' with 'their' and 'they'.
    I vaccinated my daughter when she was a baby, SHE GOT SICK. She hasn't had one since, and she hasn't got sick.
    how bout that.

We call this "anecdotal evidence". :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.
    wait what? you think i should say the one sentence to them, or the both sentences? the one with the NOT too?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an immunization for anything in years. If my body is too weak to fight off something as pathetic as influenza, then I deserve death.

What about the elderly and babies, the two demographics most at risk, who can contract it from you while you may never show a symptom?

Then refer back to my statement, but replace 'my' and 'I' with 'their' and 'they'.
    I vaccinated my daughter when she was a baby, SHE GOT SICK. She hasn't had one since, and she hasn't got sick.
    how bout that.

It takes the body two weeks to build up antibodies to the vaccine.
    If you were to show any symptoms of the influenza you were specifically immunized for, it would be after those two weeks
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I also agree that everyone who can get them should. I have a weakened immune system, and caught the flu despite getting my flu shot. I was over it faster than I would have been if I hadn't had the shot, but people who don't get it are putting medically fragile individuals at risk, and I have a problem with that.

To answer your question, if I felt like you did, and was asked, I'd say "That's kind of a personal question, don't you think?" And walk away.

What's ironic about your post is that even though you got your flu shot, and even though you got over the infection faster, you were still spreading the virus before you were aware you had it so the vaccine did nothing in your case to protect the rest of the public, including the medically fragile at risk. I'm certainly not demeaning you, just pointing out the irony of the situation.

While that's true, of course, what I was saying was that I don't think the person I got it from had to have it to give me. And I could've exposed my medically fragile niece or father. A lot of people don't think about the domino effect they could be setting in motion.

ETA: Though I'm not medically fragile, I'm someone who's at higher risk of complications than the general public, and I really don't appreciate unnecessary exposure.
  • whierd
    Options

Then refer back to my statement, but replace 'my' and 'I' with 'their' and 'they'.

Then that is your choice to make and live with.

Precisely. I firmly believe that nature has filters for weakness, but we keep ****ing it up by poking holes in said filters. It's almost like we are trying to make evolution run backward.

Different topic that we will discuss at a later date. :tongue:
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    While it is a personal choice, I feel that it is socially irresponsible to not get one. Roughly 90% of the population in a given area need to be immune in order for "herd immunity" to take place. The remaining 10% should be made up of those who have allergic reactions or sensitivities to such immunizations. A normal healthy adult who does not get one puts others at risk.

Unfortunately, what you're describing does not appear possible. According to a recent news article on the current flu shot, it was reported as only being about 60% effective. That means if 100% of the population got flu shots, we would never reach the 90% herd immunity you've described.

Source? I am mainly referring to other immunizations, such as polio, that require the 90% immunity. However, if I am wrong about the flu specifically, please link your source so I can check it and its own sources.

I amended my post to include the source as follows:

See http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/13/scramble-for-vaccine-as-flu-season-heats-up/

Refer to the fifth question, "Q: But don't some people get vaccinated and still get sick?"
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options

hen refer back to my statement, but replace 'my' and 'I' with 'their' and 'they'.
    how bout that.

We call this "anecdotal evidence". :flowerforyou:
    Which is what most of this thread is going to be made up of. or already is. as i said, everyones bodies reacts differently to a vaccine. Trial and error. If it works for you, more power to ya, if it doesn't then live and learn.
  • whierd
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.
    wait what? you think i should say the one sentence to them, or the both sentences? the one with the NOT too?

Just the one is fine. Your health care choices are personal. Do you discuss your latest mammogram?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Everyones bodies react differently to the vaccines as they would any other medications. The only difference is they don't have a "some side affects may occur" book with a vaccine like they do a medication. Nobody in this post is right or wrong. EVERYONE WILL REACT DIFFERENTLY TO ANY TYPE OF VACCINE

Odd. Everything I have ever had a flu shot I have to read a little booklet of just that and sign a waiver saying I acknowledge reading it and all the potential dangers. Then the nurse goes over it again before she sticks you. Maybe that's just where I live....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

How about, it's none of your business? Or...just say yes or no..and if someone starts ranting just walk away. And yes, you can do this to PTA moms and to anyone else for that matter.

I wish this were possible, but unfortunately there are "political" ramifications when you are perceived as rude, even if the other person were rude to begin with.

^yes this. especially when they approach you with a "we're in this together" vibe and talking about someone else. I hate being pitted against anyone generally but especially about something so personal. i wanna be switzerland on this topic but i know them bringing it up means it means a lot to them.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Odd. Everything I have ever had a flu shot I have to read a little booklet of just that and sign a waiver saying I acknowledge reading it and all the potential dangers. Then the nurse goes over it again before she sticks you. Maybe that's just where I live....

No, that is a national standard
    All immunizations require informed consent
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    I've never signed anything. Half the time I was never even asked if I wanted the shot, they just made me get it. So i don't think that's completely true. JS.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How about, it's none of your business? Or...just say yes or no..and if someone starts ranting just walk away. And yes, you can do this to PTA moms and to anyone else for that matter.

I wish this were possible, but unfortunately there are "political" ramifications when you are perceived as rude, even if the other person were rude to begin with.

^yes this. especially when they approach you with a "we're in this together" vibe and talking about someone else. I hate being pitted against anyone generally but especially about something so personal. i wanna be switzerland on this topic but i know them bringing it up means it means a lot to them.

Just be vague or pretend your phone is vibrating..lol.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    This is a very sensitive subject to me...
    Long story short, my daughter had seizures the last 2times she was vaccinated.
    She ALWAYS gets sick.
    My 3year old on the other hand is not vaccinated and he has Bennett sick a total of
    3times with a cold he kicked in less than 2days.
    Most recently the older had the measles even though she's vaccinated,
    And my younger one didn't catch it..
    Go figure!

My little cousin was our flower girl when she was 4.
    Completely normal potty trained 4yr old.
    Shortly after immunizations at 5 she started to drastically regress.
    She is now 10, grunts mostly for communication, is in diapers, and has seizures.
    The doctors can't explain why.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I've never signed anything. Half the time I was never even asked if I wanted the shot, they just made me get it. So i don't think that's completely true. JS.

They were being lax
    Maybe assuming you knew the risks and consenting because you pulled up your sleeve
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    I never consented in anyway. My doctor basically told me it was a mandatory thing. I never pulled a sleeve or any of the such. And NEVER signed anything, for me or my daughter. But now I refuse.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Well you should sue and make millions since that's pretty illegal. Unless you were under age and your parents consented for you.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that this is the first year I got the flu shot. I was quite allergic to egg whites when I was younger. Many vaccines, including the current flu shot, is incubated in eggs and has the potential to cause a deadly allergic reaction to people with egg allergies. Since I haven't had any allergic reaction to eggs in many years and confirmed with an allergy test that I no longer have an allergic response to eggs, I went ahead and got the vaccine. The pharmacists (I had it done at my local pharmacy) had me wait around for twenty minutes after the shot to be sure I didn't have a reaction. Fortunately, all went well. But my point is that there are people with allergies that simply can't get the regular flu shot. I understand that an egg-free version is being tested. I don't know if or when it will be available.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options

Well you should sue and make millions since that's pretty illegal. Unless you were under age and your parents consented for you.

1. My parents usually didn't go with me to the Dr. after I could drive.
    2. After having a child, you become legally and adult and can consent for yourself and for your child, and They didn't ever ask consent or make me sign anything for either.