Social Policing of "did you get your flu shot?" Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    But only on Tuesdays.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    But only on Tuesdays.

Surely you jest...

Would my mileage be tax deductible?
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just curious how you all feel about people asking if you got a flu shot. One school mom complained to me that she thought another mom did not get her kids and herself flu shots. That mom complained that a different mom openly asked her if she got her kids flu shots. I kind of wish no one would talk to me about it because they are all talking about each other and none of it involves me but do you think there is a fair amount of social policing about the flu shots? I'm getting a little sick of hearing about it. Do you think people have the right not to be confronted about this since some people seem as concerned about what's in those shots as other people seem about the flu itself?

I'm not asking who's wrong or right about getting the shot, just about whether it's right to ASK someone if they got it. for some reason HIPPAA or something like that comes to mind but since I'm a terrible "on the spot" responder, I'm just left dumb each time someone brings it up?

If someone asked me if I or my child got it, I would answer because I don't much care what other people think about the decisions I make.

But if some one came up to me to talk about some one else my standard response is " I do not feel comfortable talking about some one who is not around maybe you should discuss this with them"

I work with kids and tell them all the time they are not allowed to talk about someone who isn't present to defend themselves. Adults should set the same example.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    But only on Tuesdays.

Surely you jest...

Would my mileage be tax deductible?

If you are self-employed.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Just curious how you all feel about people asking if you got a flu shot. One school mom complained to me that she thought another mom did not get her kids and herself flu shots. That mom complained that a different mom openly asked her if she got her kids flu shots. I kind of wish no one would talk to me about it because they are all talking about each other and none of it involves me but do you think there is a fair amount of social policing about the flu shots? I'm getting a little sick of hearing about it. Do you think people have the right not to be confronted about this since some people seem as concerned about what's in those shots as other people seem about the flu itself?

I'm not asking who's wrong or right about getting the shot, just about whether it's right to ASK someone if they got it. for some reason HIPPAA or something like that comes to mind but since I'm a terrible "on the spot" responder, I'm just left dumb each time someone brings it up?

If someone asked me if I or my child got it, I would answer because I don't much care what other people think about the decisions I make.

But if some one came up to me to talk about some one else my standard response is " I do not feel comfortable talking about some one who is not around maybe you should discuss this with them"

I work with kids and tell them all the time they are not allowed to talk about someone who isn't present to defend themselves. Adults should set the same example.

Good point
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It's pretty rare that someone asks me that question. The inserts in the flu shots even admit that there's no scientific study showing that the shot will prevent the flu. It seems like gambling to me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.

I had a close friend who, whenever he would get the flu shot, ended up within a few days getting the flu..every time. And not just a mild case. Severe. He stopped getting them in junior high and afterwards, he either didn't get the flu or got a very mild case.

Forgive me for being pedantic. He didn't get the flu, he only had flu-like symptoms. The flu virus in vaccines is dead.

So I guess when the doctors would diagnose him with the flu..they were wrong. When I say severe, I mean severe. It wasn't you just end up at home and wait it out. It would get to the point his parents had to take him to the hospital.

And I'm not for or against..I'm just saying that some people may have good reasons.

Yes, the doctors were wrong if they said he had the flu. They likely did not know he had a flu shot or simply treated the symptoms to give him relief. Your friend, if he got severe symptoms, is one of those people with sensitivities that I mentioned in my first post. He should rely on herd immunity.

How the hell would you know? Are you psychic?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.

I had a close friend who, whenever he would get the flu shot, ended up within a few days getting the flu..every time. And not just a mild case. Severe. He stopped getting them in junior high and afterwards, he either didn't get the flu or got a very mild case.

Forgive me for being pedantic. He didn't get the flu, he only had flu-like symptoms. The flu virus in vaccines is dead.

So I guess when the doctors would diagnose him with the flu..they were wrong. When I say severe, I mean severe. It wasn't you just end up at home and wait it out. It would get to the point his parents had to take him to the hospital.

And I'm not for or against..I'm just saying that some people may have good reasons.

Yes, the doctors were wrong if they said he had the flu. They likely did not know he had a flu shot or simply treated the symptoms to give him relief. Your friend, if he got severe symptoms, is one of those people with sensitivities that I mentioned in my first post. He should rely on herd immunity.

Diagnosis is determined by the results of a nasal swab
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Ahh, incredibly divisive, just as I figured it would be.
  • whierd
    Options

No, I play one on MFP forums though.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Diagnosis is determined by the results of a nasal swab

And don't you suppose the doctor checked that before making a diagnosis?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Apparently, since you weren't there. :laugh:
  • whierd
    Options

Glad to know that you were though!! :drinker:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Where is the "beating a dead horse" smiley. :wink:
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have never had a flu shot, and I won't be getting one anytime soon.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I got mine... then heard I got it too early.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I got mine... then heard I got it too early.

When did you get it?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Glad to know that you were though!! :drinker:

Hey, I'm not the one making wild claims. :wink:
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I don't get flu shots. I am unjustifiably paranoid about them and what they could contain, nevermind all the crap in our food/water/etc.
  • fluffybear777
    Options
    I think that is is your own personal concern whether or not you got the flue shot and people that ask are thinking that the flu shot is some magic cure for the flu bug. Unfortunately there are more types of flu then can be covered in just one shot and the vaccines they make up are their best guess at what might be coming that year.
    Personally I got the flu shot because of my job. I had to get it, or wear a mask for 3 or 4 months at work, or quit my job.
    I have been sicker this winter then last year when I refused the flu shot and am not convinced that it was such a healthy choice. I don't know what choice I will make this winter 2013.