Social Policing of "did you get your flu shot?" Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm poor and would have to rely on discounted/free shot programs in order to procure a flu shot. I'm also relatively young and healthy, so I figure best to leave those funds for people who need them more.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's rude of a person to ask, but its really non of their business either.

My only complaint with the "flu" is people who ***** that hey got a shot and still got the flu, or in reality they had a stomach bug. So many people think flu is sick and vomiting and really its flu = respitory illness
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's rude of a person to ask, but its really non of their business either.

My only complaint with the "flu" is people who ***** that hey got a shot and still got the flu, or in reality they had a stomach bug. So many people think flu is sick and vomiting and really its flu = respitory illness

Thank you!
    BIG difference between stomach and respiratory flu.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I got the flu shot and have been since I was diagnosed with Juvenile/Type I diabetes when I was fifteen...it's just the smart thing to do for someone with my health complications.

I also work in health care so...for the safety of those I work with and the patients I care for, I get the shot...

There are people out there who feel they shouldn't get one or that it may get them sick or that it's a conspiracy of some kind...I suppose they'll feel different when they're laid up, unable to work and miserable. I'll pass on fever and chills, thank you very much :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm not very informed on this, so my question is truly not confrontational, just seeking information. How does a person's decision to not the get the flu shot put a baby or an elderly person at risk if the infant and elderly person have received their own flu shot?
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had my flu shot.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.

I had a close friend who, whenever he would get the flu shot, ended up within a few days getting the flu..every time. And not just a mild case. Severe. He stopped getting them in junior high and afterwards, he either didn't get the flu or got a very mild case.

Forgive me for being pedantic. He didn't get the flu, he only had flu-like symptoms. The flu virus in vaccines is dead.

So I guess when the doctors would diagnose him with the flu..they were wrong. When I say severe, I mean severe. It wasn't you just end up at home and wait it out. It would get to the point his parents had to take him to the hospital.

And I'm not for or against..I'm just saying that some people may have good reasons.

Yes, the doctors were wrong if they said he had the flu. They likely did not know he had a flu shot or simply treated the symptoms to give him relief. Your friend, if he got severe symptoms, is one of those people with sensitivities that I mentioned in my first post. He should rely on herd immunity.

Or he picked it up waiting at the dr to get the shot or the days leading up. The shot IS dead virus.... It will not give you the flu. Will it protect you from the flu - sometimes. It's important to remember that the flu shot contains a very small sample of the strains that are thought to be widespread that year. There are still a massive amount of other strains that can and are passed around. There are still such misconceptions about the flu shot.
    I urge anyone to research anything you put into your body. I am required to have one. My kids - will not get one.
    It really isn't anyone else's business and I find the only people asking have usually got some strong opinion on one side or the other. Unless you're looking for a debate - it's probably easier to just say its none if their business
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not very informed on this, so my question is truly not confrontational, just seeking information. How does a person's decision to not the get the flu shot put a baby or an elderly person at risk if the infant and elderly person have received their own flu shot?

/end thread

How dare you use logic to combat 'policing'?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

/end thread

Yeah, except your ''logic'' ignores people who are still building up their immunity after a flu shot and those that can't legitimately get the flu shot.

Damnit, I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked back in.
  • Jessymyn
    Options
    The flu vaccine contains Thimerosal, a mercury based preservative. Thimerosal is the same preservative that used to be in contact lens solution, but was later removed due to the widespread incidences of allergic reaction. The one time I used solution with Thimerosal in it, my eyes swelled shut for two days. I'm not about to put that same substance into my bloodstream via a flu shot.

The allergy can be familial and two of my sisters also have this same reaction. I'm not about to use my 16 year old son as a guinea pig to see if he does or doesn't share this genetic proclivity.

If and when they make a flu shot without this preservative (or any other MERCURY based preservative because that's the REAL problem) I might decide to allow my family to get the shot. Neither my son or I have ever gotten the vaccine--and we've never gotten the flu either.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

/end thread

Yeah, except your ''logic'' ignores people who are still building up their immunity after a flu shot and those that can't legitimately get the flu shot.

Damnit, I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked back in.

Welcome back! \o/

I see your point, but the fact is, it's all circular. Assuming that we all got the flu shot on the same exact day they were available (not possible, but this is best case scenario), there's still a chance for an outbreak while everyone is building up to the best case 'immunity'...which isn't even all that impressive to begin with.
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    NEVER! I really believe it is hype!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    NEVER! I really believe it is hype!

I work in a pulmonary clinic, with people who have Cystic Fibrosis. A bout with the flu for most of them will mean at the very least 3 weeks in the hospital with IV antibiotics. Everyone who works in the clinic gets the injection (while not mandatory, all of us are acutely aware of the dangers of inadvertently exposing our patients to the flu).

I don't have a single patient who turns it down, and as soon as it is available, they are calling to come in to get it (none of them wait until winter). Yes, some people will STILL get it -- there are strains of the flu other than those that the injection covers -- but getting the injection is much safer.

People die from influenza every year, even some few people who were normally healthy (mostly these are kids under 18). I've had the flu shot every year since 1995 and I think I've had it once since then; prior to that, I got it every year.

Whether you get it or not, it's not "hype"; for some people it is a lifesaver.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I have a son with lung damage from being born 10 weeks early, so we get it every year.
  • CurvaciousBeautyToBe
    Options
    I work at a hospital, and I had the choice of always wearing a mask around the patients I come into contact with, or getting the flu shot. I choose to get the shot, but I don't necessary think it actually helps. All I know is I was having flu-like symptoms shortly after having it. How can that be good for you?
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    I don't care who asks me I take joy in saying HELL NO! lol
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't ask, but wish I knew. We get ours every year now, but lots of people don't get this (or many other vaccines). Those who don't raise our chances of contracting the flu. The vaccine helps lower risk of contracting it, but due to variability of strains and the best guess using all known factors involved in formulating the current vaccine it still isn't 100% effective.

I don't want the damn flu. :sick:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    We selective vax in our family, and I got tired of people preaching at me, and asking if we got this and that shot...so I just started responding...No **big eyes*** you know the gov't is helping the aliens by putting transponders in our bodys through vaccines...it usually gets people to leave me alone.

And the flu shot is one we don't do...I have had the flu this year but my kids have not..Lots of raw garlic vitamin c handwashing and avoiding crowds help, not get the flu without the shot.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten a flu shot and I probably never will. I especially opted not to get one this year because I'm far into my pregnancy and I didn't want the first time to get the flu shot during my pregnancy. Overall, I believe flu shots are poison and I'd rather just get the flu and suck it up like I have every other year.
  • MLT314
    MLT314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    :smile: Getting one on Weds. Yay!