Is anyone using New Direction products for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking any product with a name that reminds me of an 80's boy band.
  • Yoho
    Yoho Posts: 4
    Options
    Make sure to drink your bullion. Also try some of the recipes with the shakes. Especially the Chicken soup. Make chips or Biscuits. Those can be split up through the day for your snacky habits. Also drink your water.

I don't keep a tracker on here, but just to update. I am now transitioning off the Shakes (realimentation) I lost about 105 lbs on the diet. I feel fantastic.

My wife had our second child just after I started, so I didn't get full sleep and had lots of stress and my MIL just died so there's been a ton of stress and travel as I transitioned off. That has been very difficult, but my good habits are helping.

Just stick to it and remember, if you keep snacking on real food, especially carby food, you will break out of Ketosis and that transition feels horrible. Don't do it.

Also, I recommend Torani's SF syrups to spice up the shakes. Vanilla pudding, One shot SF Toffee, One shot SF Hazelnut, Some brewed Espresso roast coffee (6oz) and Ice in a blender and you have a really solid Toffeenut Frappe'. Just don't over do it on the syrups. My clinic recommends no more than 10 total artificially sweetened products a day and no more than 5 of any specific type (SF Syrups, SF gums, Crystal Light etc.)

Due to all the stress, I wasn't always the best on the diet. I was on 4 shakes and a High Protein low carb lotsa veggies meal. But it's hard to get the veggies in in 1 sitting, so if you're on an option that allows for food, split those veggies up through the day.
  • Vaughnmy
    Options
    Anyone interested in selling New Direction shakes? Besides vanilla, I am looking for the apricot pineapple flavor. Thank you!
  • Shakesalive
    Shakesalive Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, Everyone. I'm in my third week of New Directions. I've lost 9 lbs. and feel great! I cheated this past weekend at a birthday celebration - don't know why, other than the social aspect. I wasn't hungry or craving for anything. I'm on the VLC plan of 4 shakes a day plus 64 oz. of water. My goal is 100 lbs. by January. I look forward to your motivating tips, positive comments, and progress updates. :)
  • oooooKATEooooo
    oooooKATEooooo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just called a local hospital who does the New Directions wt loss program.
    The orientation is tonight - ack - can't go.
    Will need to go to next month's meeting on 7/1.
    Considering this plan and am reading through this thread.
    I have 80-90 to lose and horrible eating habits.
    I'm scared I don't have the willpower.
    BUT, I also think I need a plan that offers me like zero choices then I can learn to eat healthy, once I'm inspired by some pounds lost. Crazy, I know.
  • jultut
    jultut Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    After having all the medical testing done (EKG, blood tests, etc.), I was medically approved to start this program in June. I've been on only the meal replacements since June 23. I'm down almost 20 lbs already, but those lbs lost are hard fought. This program isn't for everyone, but I have a goal of losing over 100 lbs and this medically supervised program is the smart choice for me. I've lost over a 100 lbs before the "wrong way" on my own with starvation and exercise...kept that weight off for over 10 years before having my two kids. Medical issues and Rx drugs (like steroids) have caused me to keep gaining weight over the years, and this program is a better alternative for me than something more drastic like bariatric surgery. Disappointed to see so many people on MFP not being supportive of the people on the New Direction MEDICALLY SUPERVISED weight loss plan. This is hard work, and we need support not criticism!
  • laumom2
    laumom2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm having my second appointment with the program physician today. I had to get several clearances from my doctors due to numerous health issues. I am just shy of 300 lbs and with all my health issues many of my doctors want me to have WLS but that is not what I want. I want to do this myself without surgery but know I can't on my own. I'm going this route because of the structure of the program and the fact that a physician is following my progress. Personally I like exercising it just hurts. I used to be able to walk 4 miles now I can barely walk 10 minutes without tremendous pain, it makes me so depressed. I started doing water aerobics and it helps some just not enough. I think the rapid weight loss of this program will help kick me into gear as far as being able to become more active with a little bit less weight and may greatly help with my spine problem.

How are you doing? Hope you're making progress. I just started with New Directions. Hope it works.
  • mambarlow
    mambarlow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am stating new direction program today. I can use any ideas or hints you have.
  • mambarlow
    mambarlow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bhinton919 wrote: »
    I have been on New Directions - full liquid diet for 4 weeks. Down 20 pounds and really excited. Looking forward to my 5 week weigh in! My nutrition center provided recipes that included chicken chips, pizza and cookies. The recipes are a welcomed change from just drinking the shake. Hope you all have the recipes...if not give me a shout and I will post. :-)

• valorieJane
    valorieJane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to see some recipes, I had no idea they existed! My doc only carries chicken soup, shakes and the cocoa oh and the chocolate pudding. I think this would be much easier to maintain with more variety...Do yall know of anyplace online I can purchase the New Direction food?
  • zeusmom15
    zeusmom15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have some of the recipes! I just started a week ago. I think you can only get the food through a doctor. I would love to chat with anyone else still on this program!
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    liquids?? .. how can this be sustainable? You have to eat eventually. The best way to go is still just to have a lifestyle change and eat healthy and start to excerise regularly...

You know this person better than her medical professionals do? You know her history, her medical needs, psychological needs? You see a post and feel qualified to tell her "the best way" for HER? Really?
  • 14klaura
    14klaura Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have an orientation on 3.17.16 - I'm nervous and excited. Looks like many of you are finding success. Keep it up!
  • Nikbangles
    Nikbangles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am about to begin this program. Im glad to see all of the success stories. Ive been very uncertain about the limited food intake. Has anyone been hungry duringn the day?
  • romifeder
    romifeder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lback89 wrote: »
    I am starting to have a really hard time. The New Direction products have started to make me feel nauseated and I keep kicking myself out of ketosis because I just want regular food when I feel sick.

I have my 3 month appointment with him on Friday, but I am just frustrated with myself. I feel like I am doing great with workouts, and terrible with food.

:(

This stuff makes me nauseated too! So I started researching the ingredients: whey protein powder, caseinate (look that up!- yeikes) Corn oil, corn syrup solids, artificial flavors, Fructose, Aspartame, and some stuff I have yet to look up. I went from being someone who has always cooked all of my meals (including vegetables, lean meats of all kinds, and nothing from a package- nothing with preservatives in it- the worst I did on cheat days was have cheese or chocolate) and eaten them sitting down at a table like a civilized person-- to being someone who holds their nose as they drink the glass at the sink and throw it into the dish washer. Then I feel sick. I can't drink it slowly or I will taste it, and it tastes like artificiality and vague sweetness- like I imagine a yoohoo might taste (never drank one) I now have to decide if I want to feel faint and weak or if I want to eat and feel nauseated. I have been at this diet for five days, and I'm not hopeful I'll make it a week. I'm sticking to it exactly as my doctor told me to. I lost 5 lbs on the first day, and then nothing afterward, despite walking at a pretty good clip every day for an hour. (I did that before this diet, so maybe it has not been enough of a change) After becoming totally disgusted by it, I began the research I should have done before starting. I just trusted my doctor. I actually do not see why someone could not follow the calorie and macros of this diet without ingesting this artificial food plastic. Yuck. I'm with you.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    you people are crazy. I mean, if you can't control your eating this is not going to do anything for you. Take a class and learn how to control yourself, you don't have to drink only liquids from some scam company to do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can't you just buy High Protein, low carb, low calorie bars and shakes over the counter like medifast or natures best and incorporate them into your diet? I would think it would be much, much cheaper.

Sure you could, but it wouldn't be the same thing. The biggest component to my program is the therapy and nutritional classes. I can't get that by buying something over the counter. This is a complete physical and mental program structured to help people learn how to eat right, create healthy habits, create exercise routines and to overcome what has always stopped them from losing weight in the past. As the doctors in my program like to say, we can make anyone to lose weight that's not the hard part, the hard part is learning how to keep the weight off and also to learn why your past choices have failed you.

Are you learning to eat right, by eating/drinking meal replacements? What ARE your strategies after weight loss going to be?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Hello! My husband just started the New Direction LCD program. I'm trying to plan and prepare his meals. He was given a food exchange list but nothing that explains how to use it. It seems like he is missing something in his binder. Will call the dietitian tomorrow but I do not know what to ask for. Any help will be appreciated.

I suggest logging in MFP's food diary and hit calorie/macro goals eating your ordinary food.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    jultut wrote: »
    After having all the medical testing done (EKG, blood tests, etc.), I was medically approved to start this program in June. I've been on only the meal replacements since June 23. I'm down almost 20 lbs already, but those lbs lost are hard fought. This program isn't for everyone, but I have a goal of losing over 100 lbs and this medically supervised program is the smart choice for me. I've lost over a 100 lbs before the "wrong way" on my own with starvation and exercise...kept that weight off for over 10 years before having my two kids. Medical issues and Rx drugs (like steroids) have caused me to keep gaining weight over the years, and this program is a better alternative for me than something more drastic like bariatric surgery. Disappointed to see so many people on MFP not being supportive of the people on the New Direction MEDICALLY SUPERVISED weight loss plan. This is hard work, and we need support not criticism!

Old thread, but in case you come back some day :# And for others... Your choice isn't just between starving on medically supervised low calorie meal replacements, and starving on fad diets and exhausting yourself, and major sugery to force you to eat much less. It's not critisism but support to suggest that there is other ways to get those pounds off, and keep them off, still hard work, but realistic and healthy.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I just called a local hospital who does the New Directions wt loss program.
    The orientation is tonight - ack - can't go.
    Will need to go to next month's meeting on 7/1.
    Considering this plan and am reading through this thread.
    I have 80-90 to lose and horrible eating habits.
    I'm scared I don't have the willpower.
    BUT, I also think I need a plan that offers me like zero choices then I can learn to eat healthy, once I'm inspired by some pounds lost. Crazy, I know.

Yeah, it's crazy. Meal replacements will teach you NOTHING about better eating habits. Eating is a life skill. You need to learn to put together an eating plan that you can and will stick to for the long haul, not just while you are motivated by seeing the pounds drop. Weight loss will slow down and maybe periodically stall, and maintenance is usually even harder to handle than losing. Willpower is a finite resource, and you have to build good habits and attitudes, not rely on willpower.
This discussion has been closed.