Gym Etiquette - what bugs you?

Options

Replies

• mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I always wipe the machines before and after I use them. Thankfully my gym has wipes stationed all over, but that doesn't mean everyone uses them.
    I inwardly chuckle at the people who come in all dolled up and barely work, they're just deluding themselves.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think overall the idea of the gym bothers me....I walk and cycle in the amazing outdoors for my exercise but have been to a gym or two in my life. Main bugbears are:
    -people that.drive half a mile to the gym then park illegally as close to the front door as possible
    -anyone who leaves things not as they found them
    -women who wear a face full makeup and perfume to the gym, then don't even break a sweat
    -all those "overacheivers" who refuse to follow instructions of whoever is running the session

That'll do.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    The obvious...my profile pic
    And what is up w staring?? Glancing is ok, but I think it's rude when ppl stare. Either say something or move around
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    not re-racking weights. there were at one point signs in our weight room that said that those who failed to re-rack would have their membership revoked. it's seriously like another workout for me just to re-rack the huge weights that some of these guys just leave on the bars when they're done. not all of us can squat 315.

This. Really irritates me.

Also the not wiping of sweat.

Talking to me while I have headphones in is just a life in general hate of mine.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    -women who wear a face full makeup and perfume to the gym, then don't even break a sweat

1) Not all of us need to sweat to have a great work out. I barely break a sweat, doesn't mean I'm not working hard.
    2) If I'm coming in from work I'm coming in full make up. I'm not washing it off just to please you.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    People who don't re-rack the weight.s
    People who do dumbbell work right in front of the dumbbell rack
    Circuit trainers and equipment hogs
  • socalloser
    Options
    1. people on the phone, texting, FB , whatever and blocking machines

2. Wight lifters grunting loudly

3. Not wiping down machines

4. Women who put on lots of perfume ( makes me dizzy)

5. B.O and foot odor ( gag)
  • lisa_lamb
    lisa_lamb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Girls who walk on the treadmills wearing canvas shoes!

People who up the incline on the treadmill then hang on to the machine cos its too steep for them.

People who stand too close to me in classes so I have no room to work out!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Girls who wear makeup to the gym

Haters gonna hate :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

1) Not all of us need to sweat to have a great work out. I barely break a sweat, doesn't mean I'm not working hard.
    2) If I'm coming in from work I'm coming in full make up. I'm not washing it off just to please you.

I can't believe someone ELSE wearing makeup bothers so many people.. that's ridiculous
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    More a pet peeves than real irritant, but when I see people running while holding onto the sides or front of a treadmill as if they were competing on Supermarket Sweep, it makes me cringe. If the machine is going so fast that you need to hold on, maybe it's time to re-evaluate if 10 MPH is an appropriate speed.
  • DisputedEnds
    Options
    Girls who wear makeup to the gym

Haters gonna hate :laugh:
    Sloots gunna sloot
  • alaneylane
    alaneylane Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Strong cologne/perfume - makes it much harder to breathe. Other than that, I try to block everyone else out.
  • QueenChacon
    Options
    People who wear too much cologne and who stand around in groups, so I can't use a machine.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    not going through 14 pages, not sure if anyone posted this... but here is one of the funniest gym lifting video ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6rSrFpl-wE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCHzG1ZUvw8

fav part is when he sees the sign "please re-rack your weights" and he yells "well these ain't my weights!!!"
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh man, when people do not wipe down their machines. That is so nasty.
  • lms4310
    Options
    People that place a handicapped parking placard in their car, park up close and then go jog on the treadmill. I guess those extra 20 steps was too much for them...they should be thankful that they actually do not really need it like some people truly do!!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

I can't believe someone ELSE wearing makeup bothers so many people.. that's ridiculous

i consider myself pretty open minded, but if a guy came into the gym wearing makeup, id feel a bit weird about it
  • patm64
    patm64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Men - NOT putting the toilet seat down
    Men - NOT flushing the toilet after they've finished

anything else I ignore - cos I'm there for me...not anybody else
  • Will606
    Options
    Not so much an etiquette issue - but something that drives me batsh!t crazy are people who wear flip flops on the treadmill or fur lined crocs on the ellipticals or jeans in general at the gym. WHY?!

What she said ^ I've noticed that too. Plus its winter...in Illinois, fer Cripes sake.