Gym Etiquette - what bugs you?

Options

Replies

• RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Heavy perfume and cologne on the cardio machine next to you, especially when it is clearly masking bad B.O. - suffocating! OK, I have worn a little makeup at the gym because I go right after work (I mean a little - most of it has worn off by then), but it doesn't SMELL! They need to make a rule, or else spread the treadmills and ellipticals out so those people are not on top of you. My husband has allergies and has to stop his workout when that happens. The problem is I think these people are no longer conscious of how they smell. They've gotten so used to it, their sense of smell is numb. I don't care what people wear to the gym, as long as it doesn't stink up my space. Anyway, that's my rant.
  • patm64
    patm64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    maybe...just maybe...they have an issue with their joints & the only way they can run is by holding on to the sides. Maybe you should stop watching what other people are doing
  • sat6981
    sat6981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find many things amusing at the gym but the one thing that really bothered me: there was a man who got on the elliptical next to me and smelled of cigarette smoke. It made it hard for me to breath while trying to workout.
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    hot chicks wearing those amazing yoga pants..then glaring at you when you stare at them too long...seriously wtf? lol
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    maybe...just maybe...they have an issue with their joints & the only way they can run is by holding on to the sides. Maybe you should stop watching what other people are doing

Oh please. I am not talking about the person with a clearly laboured gait using the rails for support. And I am not spending all my time at the gym watching other people exercise. Why? Because I'm there to workout.
  • devastation77
    Options
    Only ever people who just sit on machines doing nothing, and when you ask to work in it's "oh i got one more set", which turns into three sets.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    More a pet peeves than real irritant, but when I see people running while holding onto the sides or front of a treadmill as if they were competing on Supermarket Sweep, it makes me cringe. If the machine is going so fast that you need to hold on, maybe it's time to re-evaluate if 10 MPH is an appropriate speed.

And this is why I try to run outside now...I'm horribly clutzy and forever terrified I'm going to trip over my own feet on the treadmill, even at the slow speeds :laugh:
  • abberbabber
    Options
    Wow, makeup really bothers a lot of y'all :laugh:
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    More a pet peeves than real irritant, but when I see people running while holding onto the sides or front of a treadmill as if they were competing on Supermarket Sweep, it makes me cringe. If the machine is going so fast that you need to hold on, maybe it's time to re-evaluate if 10 MPH is an appropriate speed.

And this is why I try to run outside now...I'm horribly clutzy and forever terrified I'm going to trip over my own feet on the treadmill, even at the slow speeds :laugh:

Outdoor runs FTW! Time goes by much faster, your stride is longer...overall just so much better. Plus, tripping over a root on a trail run (which I have done...multiple times...on the same run) just sounds more badass.
  • abberbabber
    Options

Outdoor runs FTW! Time goes by much faster, your stride is longer...overall just so much better. Plus, tripping over a root on a trail run (which I have done...multiple times...on the same run) just sounds more badass.

Ha, absolutely!! And if you're lucky, it's only the squirrels laughing at you...not a roomful of people :laugh:
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options

Ha, absolutely!! And if you're lucky, it's only the squirrels laughing at you...not a roomful of people :laugh:

for me, its defiantly the people laughing at me. After a while, ill get bored on the track and chase one of them. Ill catch one some day damnit!

The only thing that really happens at my gym is the high schoolers or younger people not re-racking weights. They get straightened out quick by other members though.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    People who worry about what other people are doing rather than just focusing on their own workouts.

Well, that and people who keep talking to me when I'm trying to work out.

This^^^
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    people who walk around naked with a giant BUTTerfly tattoo covering their butt and get mad when they catch me looking.. seriously I tried to look away but OMG I've never seen anything like that in my life before.
  • When the hot guys take a night off so I can't get my perve on.

Nah nothing really bothers me, I do my thing and ignore everyone else
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I'm the least experienced one that uses the gym I go to, from what I see. If anything, I'm probably annoying them with my grunting while I pump my 10 lb weight and doing my 15 minutes fully body stretch so close to the squat rack, hehe. I mainly use the treadmills in it and do a bit of strength training when I have to.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    strong smelling perfumes/scents
    equipment/weight hogs
    people that leave the weights on
    people that don't clean their equipment
    grrrrrrrr
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    wanders in and looks around:noway: realizes can't afford gym membership-kicks rocks:sad: -leaves:wink:
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Normally at the gym I have my ipod and don't pay attention to anyone else, but the other day I had forgotten it. While in the cardio area this lady was making the most intense sex noises I have heard in public. I mean, really? Now I understand that grunting and stuff happens over in the weights section, but you are on an elliptical. The guy on the machine next to hear was obviously uncomfortable with it too because he just kept looking at her in digust. Let's just say I will NEVER forget my ipod again!
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Stinky perfume or lotions! Makes me gag, burns my eyes, and gives me a major headache! Be considerate of others.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What bugs me isn't so much of an etiquette thing as much of an equipment thing...

THE SMITH MACHINE

I can't really see a useful purpose for it. Couple that with the fact that my gym has about 5 of them lined up right next to the one (and only) squat rack, and my gears have been thoroughly ground.