Gym Etiquette - what bugs you?

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What bugs me isn't so much of an etiquette thing as much of an equipment thing...

THE SMITH MACHINE

I can't really see a useful purpose for it. Couple that with the fact that my gym has about 5 of them lined up right next to the one (and only) squat rack, and my gears have been thoroughly ground.

Yes well there are people who actually use them.
  • Bkhall79
    Options
    Body odor from other people (I dont mind my own stench) and mean muggin....HATE dudes like that
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What bugs me isn't so much of an etiquette thing as much of an equipment thing...

THE SMITH MACHINE

I can't really see a useful purpose for it. Couple that with the fact that my gym has about 5 of them lined up right next to the one (and only) squat rack, and my gears have been thoroughly ground.

That's what I mean though. I don't know why somebody would willing use a bar that's fixed to one plane of motion. It's not natural, it doesn't teach you good form, and injury risk is slightly higher because of this.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

THE SMITH MACHINE

That's what I mean though. I don't know why somebody would willing use a bar that's fixed to one plane of motion. It's not natural, it doesn't teach you good form, and injury risk is slightly higher because of this.

I'd rather do that than drop 275lbs on my chest at 4:45 in the morning, with no chance of the two ladies in there at that time who might weigh 275 combined getting it off of me.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Good god...gyms sound disgusting! Im glad I invested in an at-home machine rather than a gym membership...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

THE SMITH MACHINE

I'd rather do that than drop 275lbs on my chest at 4:45 in the morning, with no chance of the two ladies in there at that time who might weigh 275 combined getting it off of me.

^^ I completely agree.

Not all gyms have a squat rack and no, I'm not going to "switch gyms" just so that I stop using the smith machine because I'll still use it.
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    Track etiquette... this goes for gyms and not, but mostly gyms. Outdoor tracks tend to get used only by those who know what they are doing.
    But, seriously people, if you don't know how to use a track properly they have these things called treadmills where your issues will not impact others. As for the girls three wide doing walking lunges, beat it, this is a track, not a walking lunge space. There is plenty of room to do those elsewhere and not make it impossible for me to run without play dodge the lungers, or squatters or whatever exercise you seem to think the track is for today. And if you are walking, its your job to stay out of the way of those moving faster... so pick a lane, preferably the outside lane, and stay put. And last but not least if you are going to pass, make sure you are several feet in front of me before cutting over... I don't like tripping or swerving to avoid you...
    That is all, I can deal with the rest of it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Girls who wear makeup to the gym

Haters gonna hate :laugh:
    Sloots gunna sloot

Yeah anyway... I don't see what wearing makeup has to do with gym etiquette unless it landed on you or equipment you were using. You just sound jealous. Go to the gym for you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I can't believe someone ELSE wearing makeup bothers so many people.. that's ridiculous

i consider myself pretty open minded, but if a guy came into the gym wearing makeup, id feel a bit weird about it

:laugh: Never thought about that scenario..
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Only ever people who just sit on machines doing nothing, and when you ask to work in it's "oh i got one more set", which turns into three sets.

^^^ Yeah, that is pretty annoying.
  • staplebug
    Options
    Had to bring this thread back because there is some b---- at the gym who comes at the same time as me and uses the machine next to me. I can smell her a mile away. Not sweat...perfume. Who effing puts on a gallon of perfume (and a half-inch smear of eyeliner) before coming to the gym first thing in the morning? It makes me choke and I sooo want to punch her.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Thi happened last night again.....

STOP DOING CURLS IN THE EFFING SQUAT RACK YOU D-BAG!
  • epursey
    epursey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Had to bring this thread back because there is some b---- at the gym who comes at the same time as me and uses the machine next to me. I can smell her a mile away. Not sweat...perfume. Who effing puts on a gallon of perfume (and a half-inch smear of eyeliner) before coming to the gym first thing in the morning? It makes me choke and I sooo want to punch her.

OMGosh this soooooo much! I have had to change machines twice this week. I can't breath. Two weeks ago I had a full on asthma attack. *sigh*
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I very much dislike having fans pointed at me. Cold sweat is just awful and if I am working out I want to be hot and sweaty. Don't turn a fan on and point it at me.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thi happened last night again.....

STOP DOING CURLS IN THE EFFING SQUAT RACK YOU D-BAG!
    There's an older lady that does stretches in front of the squat rack when I'm there. A truly effective use of resources.
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    People who up the incline on the treadmill then hang on to the machine cos its too steep for them.

I always try to imagine them walking up a hill outside looking like a zombie.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    People bench pressing in the squat rack grrrrrrr
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My main bugs are:

People who walk across my workout mat for a shortcut - it's really off putting.

When I'm doing lifts, I focus on a point across the room and then somebody usually thinks I'm staring at them and walks into my eye line.

People who hog all the dumbells and surround themselves with all the equipment they'll need for their floor workout and then don't put back the ones they've finished with.
  • MarthasVineyard
    MarthasVineyard Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    People who talk to me during my 5 a.m. workout. Really? It's 5 a.m. for the love of God.
    People who don't wipe down the machines and leave TV's on. Lazy slobs.
    People who stop, sit down on a piece of the circuit equipment and start texting or surfing the web. Put the phone down for 30 minutes. Geeze.
  • Brooksstock
    Options
    I probably shouldn't even comment here because the general consensus is that people are irritated that there are other people using their gym space.

I am thankful that weird old guy is taking too long on the machines. At least he's there and trying to get healthy. That guy in the hoodie on the treadmill is probably trying to drop weight for a wrestling match, not plotting to kill you. Not wiping off the machines is pretty gross, but aren't we there for exercise? If you have to walk ten yards to get the materials to wipe it down yourself, what's the big deal?

I go to my gym often enough that I know most of the people. Maybe if we'd all get to know people, they would have more respect for us when they see us waiting to use the equipment.

Everyone has their own opinion and I respect yours. Just be aware that the guy you are irritated with for not wiping the machines is probably wondering why you come to the gym at all if you are sour-faced and cranky the whole time. It's supposed to be fun and uplifting. See the other gym-goers as friends instead of irritants.