"Good for you" foods you just can't stand?

Options
We all have one - the food that's a "superfood", that every 'clean eater' "should" eat, that everyone else seems to rave about ... but that you just *don't like*. Confess - what's yours?

Mine is quinoa. I'm vegan, and everyone seems to assume that all vegans LOVE quinoa, that it's the BESTEST and ONLY source of vegan protein (lies and slander!), that it's the best superfood since sliced bread, that it cures cancer and baldness (okay, maybe not), etc, etc. But ... the taste, the texture ... no. I'll stick to my tofu, soya milk and buckwheat, thanks.

Oh, and tomatoes. Even as a kid I couldn't eat them. :P

Replies

• abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Garlic and basil. Eww
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    vegetables and fruits
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    since sliced bread,

I'm a coeliac* and this will kill me. Or rather, it will shortly make me wish I was dead.

So, this. :3 Whole grains my currently non-diarrhoea bursting *kitten*.

*TMI Warning, symptoms include diarrhoea and vomiting. FUN.
  • TineeLambrini
    TineeLambrini Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and broccoli - bland boringness. I do force them down from time to time, but have never liked them from childhood. Even my mother calling them "trees" didn't make them any more appealing to me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Fruit. I will eat any vegetable under the sun (except the fruits that masquerade as veg, deceptive little ****ers) but even the thought of eating fresh fruit makes me queasy.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Salad...hate the texture and the crunchiness more than the taste!
  • feistymoon
    Options
    Mine was fish... but I read somewhere that if you try anything enough times you eventually like the taste. I struggled through and although it's def NOT my fav food type I now enjoy prawns, squid, scallops, cod, scampi, and salmon. Can't believe my tastes changed!
  • doritosgirl
    doritosgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    EGGS and AVACADO! Hate em both!
  • terricakes
    terricakes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! i hate the texture and taste but as a vegetarian everyone assumes i must like them. The Veggie dish in most Scottish restaurants always seems to be mushroom based. It drives me nuts!
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    Fruit. I will eat any vegetable under the sun (except the fruits that masquerade as veg, deceptive little ****ers) but even the thought of eating fresh fruit makes me queasy.

I'm like this too - can just about stomach fresh oranges but can deal with the texture of most fruits.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    grapefruit - disgusting stuff
    raw tomato - I hate the texture
    pineapple - allergic
    pumpkin - allergic
    sweet potato - errrrghhh
    apples - had one too many as a kid. Can't face them now

and there are probably a pile of others as well
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Almost all vegetables. And cottage cheese. It used to be considered good for you, anyway. I have a special loathing for it because Mom tried to make me eat it.

Luckily our dogs would eat anything given to them from the table, although I do seem to remember at least one colorful vomit episode after I gave them maybe a bit too much off my plate.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    so far it is quinoa for me. I tried it once and can't get past the appearance. It looks like roach eggs. uggggh
  • MeeSooHungry
    Options
    so far it is quinoa for me. I tried it once and can't get past the appearance. It looks like roach eggs. uggggh

Me too. I gave it a good try. If I want to eat something that looks like tiny little balls, I'll go with tapioca pudding.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    @TineeLambrini who can't stand broccoli and cauliflower:

You're missing Out. Of Course they are bland by themselves. Start yourself on them in a way that it's definitely less healthy, but tasty... Try broccoli with a nice sauce. Or like this:
    - fry one large onion until translucent
    - add 500g diced broccoli and fry/simmer for 5 minutes
    - add half a cup of white wine (or more -- up to a cup until you think the liquid:vegetable ratio is right) and simmer lon low heat for 15 minutes until everything is soft and a lot of the alcohol has evaporated
    - add half a cup of cream, light cream, half & half, or light sour cream, whatever takes your fancy and is best withing your calorie allowance
    - purée in the blender
    - season with as much salt as your personal preference needs, and white pepper
    - and enjoy - with bread, pita strips, wrap strips, or on its own if you absolutely want to save on the carbs....

Btw: can do this with nearly every vegetable you don't like.

Got this 20 years ago from something called 'The American Country Inn Cookbook' or such. They wanted to do this with asparagus. I have only done that once and didn't like it. The broccoli version was even loved by the kids, which will mean something.

Obligatory healthy food I can't stand:
    - Tofu - if they don't eat meat, why do they need to create a substitute?
    - Canned tuna - can't stand the smell
    - does Laksa count as a healthy food? I hate it so much that it's a good weight loss tool - when really really hungry, have some - you will only eat half a serve.
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    melon,raspberries,cinnamon,mint..ugh
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    I hate tomatoes, all kinds of peppers, onions and that's about it really
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Tomatoes - they are the devils testicles :sick:
  • akhilton
    Options
    parsnips - yak
  • akhilton
    Options
    Almost all vegetables. And cottage cheese. It used to be considered good for you, anyway. I have a special loathing for it because Mom tried to make me eat it.

Cottage cheese looks and tastes like vomit to me (lactose intolerant, all dairy tastes off)