Burpees - WTH

Options

Replies

• frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also have a love/hate relationship w/ burpees!! I am doing them this week in my tabata training (20 seconds, 10 sec rest, repeat 8 times) and they suck but feel so good when I'm done....
  • lilmzritz
    Options
    Hate lunges with a passion! Which reminds me, I have to do them like right now...ugh!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The worst thing about burpees is that as a late teen I could do them indefinitley and now I'm shagged after 15.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Burpees are tolerable. I do mine with the jump at the end. In January, I was doing timed burpee/jump rope pyramid. Start with 100 jumps of the rope, followed by 10 burpees, 90 jumps, 9 burpees all the way down to 10 jumps and 1 burpee. In the beginning, my time was around 10 minutes, but Jan, 31, it was under 9. Now squat jumps and alternating lunges can kick rocks.

Am I sick and twisted that this sounded fun to me?!?! :huh:
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with burpees! I hate doing them but love the feeling after I'm done and what they do to my body. Currently doing 100 burpees a day for the month of February if you'd like to join me :)

This! & Yes I'm in!!!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees only because my wrists can't take the stress. I'm hoping I'll get to the point they'll be able to do it!
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Lunges are the worst.

Then burpees.

Both make me cringe.
  • lilncbrat
    lilncbrat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a love/ hate relationship with jumping lunges too. I have a hard time getting my balance before the next one is supposed to be fired off. I have noticed that the more I do them my balance is better but they still burn!!! I like planks and walk out pushups! I think because I used to struggle with them so much but now it's like PFFFFTFT. Cake.
  • talithag
    Options
    Burpees were called squat thrusts when I was in middle school and had to do 10 of them in PE every day.
  • marielaem
    marielaem Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do burpees in circuits and kettles classes. Can't say I'm a huge fan. The exercise I loathe, though, is jumping jacks. I'd take burpees over those any day of the week.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    <
    Needs a burpeessuck.com t-shirt! I have a love/hate relationship with them, too. Part of the warm-up for my kickboxing class the other night was doing two hops and a burpee from end of the gym to the other, and back. My instructor is a burpee freak. He sneaks them in wherever he can.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I HATE Burpees...and mountain climbers...pretty much anything that requires me to be in a plank position. I've broken both wrists before, and I think they aren't as strong as I think they are. I would rather do 1000 jumping jacks and pee my pants than have to do one single plank-involved exercise. But they are good for your core. And I still hate them. :grumble:
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    love burpees, hate lunges. >:[
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees only because my wrists can't take the stress. I'm hoping I'll get to the point they'll be able to do it!

I had that problem too, because one of my wrists got completely destroyed years ago and never really recovered.
    Fixed it by using knuckles instead of palms for the push up bit.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If someone could just give me some pointers to eventually do a burpee. I haven't done any spring exercises since I was a cheerleader and a dancer...30 years ago. So squating down and jumping up off the floor is a little taxing on the knees. I know I need to lose about 20 pounds and I hope this will enable me to do a burpee. I have done mountain climbers but my burpee is squating down, jumping out, back to a squat and then barely standing up. I do squats, dead lifts, lunges (hate 'em) but burpees are a struggle. Heck, just getting up off the floor is a struggle.

So if there are any 50 plus folks out there that could give me pointers on how to condition my body to eventually do a burpee, I would greatly appreciate it.

You can do the moves without fully jumping. So instead of jumping with both feet to plank, step back one foot at a time (but quickly). When you finish the move just come back to standing instead of jumping.

AND thanks you to Jillian Michaels as I now know and can do burpees, side plank burpees, burpees with a lateral jump, etc.
    Thanks Stacy but it's the pushing off from the squats that is difficult. I have a Jessica Smith 10 pounds down DVD and she suggested doing an elevated burpee. Hands on sofa or bench which I find much easier to do until I can hopefully, eventually do a full burpee. I still got a good cardio from that.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees and planks... but I do them all the time (while I'm cussing and almost foaming at the mouth)
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Burpees are tolerable. I do mine with the jump at the end. In January, I was doing timed burpee/jump rope pyramid. Start with 100 jumps of the rope, followed by 10 burpees, 90 jumps, 9 burpees all the way down to 10 jumps and 1 burpee. In the beginning, my time was around 10 minutes, but Jan, 31, it was under 9. Now squat jumps and alternating lunges can kick rocks.

Am I sick and twisted that this sounded fun to me?!?! :huh:

I'm right there with ya, gonna try this one tonight! :devil:
  • amynicole21
    Options
    I love burpees, and want this shirt!!! Lol
    44363_574700652558362_1221712511_n.jpg

601303_569388979756196_245377924_n.jpg

373873_567776919917402_2038131419_n.jpg

I may need order the first one.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My daughter sent me this EVIL article, and it includes, I kid you not, BACKFLIP BURPEES.

I think she's trying to off me for the inheritance.

Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151393440761294

INSANE!!!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees. But they are super effective.