Do you get a lot more attention after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    who bumped one of JButt's threads?
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    oh absolutely
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am working hard towards my goals, have already dropped 15 lbs but still no romantic attention from my wife. I live in a sexless marriage (Because I am overweight I am told), so I really hope the hard work pays off. Regardless it will pay off anyways because I feel better about myself already.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    People are generally far more attracted to a partner that is fit and slim over one that is overweight because we want healthy partners that will be around for a while. Our brains are just programedthat way, out in the wild animals will not mate with those that are sick, slower than the pack, injured ect because they want the best and healthiest mate they can be with and humanes are not really tht differeent.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    And for those saying they get negative attention from women after losing it is probebly because you are now a threat to them especially if they are overwieght, not happy or insecure.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's odd to me but it's flattering at times.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Women just throw themselves at me now, lucky I have a girlfriend and have an excuse not to...you know...kiss their face!!!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I am working hard towards my goals, have already dropped 15 lbs but still no romantic attention from my wife. I live in a sexless marriage (Because I am overweight I am told), so I really hope the hard work pays off. Regardless it will pay off anyways because I feel better about myself already.

I hope your next girlfriend appreciates it.

Lose the wife.

+1
  • lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really think its mainly confidence. When you don't feel attractive because you're not happy with your weight you look sad. People don't like sad, unconfident people.

Conversely, when you feel sexy and toned (even if you statistically still are overweight), you just ooze happiness and good vibes. People are attracted to happy, confident people.

Take it all in stride. Be complimented and feel good and then use that as fire to keep going.
    :drinker: this! this is me all day long! ^
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do get a lot more attention after losing the weight. There's a lot more interest from the opposite sex now. The problem is, I still have extra skin that I'll need to have removed. My highest weight was 318. So I'm in the bind of having to explain that I look good with clothes on but not as much without them. Otherwise, when things finally get to that point they might be a bit surprised by what they find. I'm pretty sure that even with this advanced warning my last girlfriend was really surprised about it. She was gorgeous herself and never had any weight problems.

I'm not at all upset about the lack of attention before versus now. It's understandable. When I was married, my wife tipped the scales beyond 450 pounds. I knew privately that I found myself less and less attracted to her as she continued to gain more and more weight. She eventually got the gastric bypass procedure and lost weight.

I guess I'm not sure why people who lose so much weight are shocked to find that people are more attracted to them after they lose weight. Physical attraction still counts for something. We need to have chemistry and physical attraction often gets things started. I date women for who they are and their personality. But honestly I know that a beautiful woman does catch my eye a little more. I'm not a shallow person, mind you. When I dated my wife before we were married, she was quite heavy. It was herself as a person I was interested in. If I was completely shallow, I would've never continued dating her. Nor would I have married her. But if you still have a heartbeat and you're a man, it's almost impossible not to notice when someone is attractive to you. Regardless of whether you're in a relationship or not. It doesn't mean you act on that impulse at all, but you do notice!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I get more attention, but it's hard to "believe" it. A lot of times my first thought is "what is he LOOKING at? Did I cut him off? Is my zipper down?" Then it dawns on me that maybe, just maybe, he thinks I'm cute.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes, but not because I am thinner but because I am more outgoing and confident in my own skin. I remember a time when I was quite heavy but still really confident - I got the same amount of attention.
    Believe it or not, but looks ACTUALLY don't matter that much. It's mostly about confidence.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    yes i get alot more attention sence the weight loss
  • connorsw95
    connorsw95 Posts: 15
    Options
    I think it has more to do with how you conduct yourself after losing weight. Obviously your new and improved appearance is likely to capture attention, but I think, from my experience anyway, after losing weight you're far more likely to choose more fitted outfits and walk confidently - confidence attracts attention! You wearing your skin proudly and with confidence i think contributes to a more attractive person. People can't see your face if you're always looking at the floor eh? :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I really think its mainly confidence. When you don't feel attractive because you're not happy with your weight you look sad. People don't like sad, unconfident people.

Conversely, when you feel sexy and toned (even if you statistically still are overweight), you just ooze happiness and good vibes. People are attracted to happy, confident people.

Take it all in stride. Be complimented and feel good and then use that as fire to keep going.

Well said. :smile:

I totally agree with this as well. It's the confidence that shows more. I feel that I get more attention now that some of my weight has come off.

VERY TRUE I dont feel attractive AT ALL (after a 150 pound loss due to excess skin) and therefore I have rarely been hit on since I dont give out that "vibe", and the times its happened I have been oblivious to it until after the fact lol.

I think it is confidence because I have friends who get TONS of attention from the opposite sex and they are not skinny (both are "plus sizes") or super-model pretty but man do those chicks have confidence!
  • SeanSilk
    SeanSilk Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes I tend to get more stares from women in public, especially at the gym. I've come a long way in losing weight. I wasn't always overweight. I gained weight through anti-depressants. But when I switched to one that didn't have weight gain side effects, I dropped the weight quick. Since I was born with a mesomorphic body type, I gained muscle very easily.
    The attention is new, and annoying at the same time, if that makes sense. It makes me realize what kind of shallow world we live in.
    But I intend to ignore it and not make any eye contact at all. After all, I am happily engaged.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Not really, I just get attention from a different crowd of people.

I really started to see that individual men and women really do have their preferences.
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, my new pictures on OkCupid of my thinner, fitter, muscular self, has upped my response rate from 1 out of ever 5 to 50% of all my messages getting responses, and some messages being sent my way. Also, from facebook, female friends I hadn't talked to in a long time, started messaging me, and commenting on my change. So, it's awesome, and fun!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!