Do you get a lot more attention after weight loss?

Options
jbutterflye
jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
I'd like to hear from people who experience a noticeable increase in sexual/romantic attention from others after losing weight? How do you experience and/or handle this?

I ask too because sometimes people gain weight as a form of hiding from attention or feeling uncomfortable with it.

Replies

• GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear this too because I know I'll look drop dead gorgeous, but I have a bf and not looking to switch up. I'm gonna marry my man after I hit my goal. So I'd be interested in some responses to this. =P
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    congratulations! :)
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i think that hiding was my main reason for allowing myself to reach the size i did. i didn't want people to see me, so i made myself invisible in the largest way possible. weird, isn't it?

i'm not even 1/4 toward my goal and have a tremendous amount of weight yet to lose. i don't feel attractive by any means. but...i got hit on the other day.

i'll be honest, it freaked me out. it made me feel instantly vulnerable and uncomfortable. luckily, it was in the checkout line of a store, so i was able to remove myself from the situation gracefully.

but i really didn't like it.
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    After I lost my 56 lbs, I got wayyyyyy more attention. It was very nice! I loved it!
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it's a funny thing. I went through many fat and invisible years and because of that, I do appreciate the looks or comments, but at the same time I think to myself that if I am the same person as before, why should weight make a difference to others and their treatment of me? I just felt a bit let down that we could all be so superficial. But I do get that we are physical beings and are affected by first impressions. After that, we have to keep them interested with something else than the physical attraction. I just thank God that I've been married to the same man who has seen me at my best and my worst, and loved me the same through all of it!
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not any more romantic attention, but there has been a dramatic increase in people saying hi to me when I'm out walking some where or shopping. People seem to want to talk to me more.
  • bluecollarfrench
    bluecollarfrench Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I noticed that it looks like only women have responded, but I will say I have noticed a lot more attention. I have never lacked in getting attention because I am fun, funny, and outgoing, but i will say that I think that the women are what some people would say better looking that seem to show me attention now that I have lost weight.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Yes... sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes it's great!
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    no romantic increase, i'm happily married and not looking but if i wasnt........defiently more attention from others in public, no doubt, no question, it kinda freaked me out at first to be honest.
  • montlucia
    Options
    I get more attention but I wouldn't call it the right kind of attention. I think I'll get more when I reach my goal.
    The amount of romantic interest I get is pretty much the same.
    The amount of sexual interest I get has increased but not hugely.
  • dnhardy
    Options
    I really think its mainly confidence. When you don't feel attractive because you're not happy with your weight you look sad. People don't like sad, unconfident people.

Conversely, when you feel sexy and toned (even if you statistically still are overweight), you just ooze happiness and good vibes. People are attracted to happy, confident people.

Take it all in stride. Be complimented and feel good and then use that as fire to keep going.
  • Deadcenter
    Options
    I do -- mostly from people who know me telling me I am too skinny and not to lose anymore weight. Jeez, they could congratulate me on all the hard work to get to the weight I am. As far as I am concerned I am in the best shape of my life and I am very happy at my current weight.
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    I really think its mainly confidence. When you don't feel attractive because you're not happy with your weight you look sad. People don't like sad, unconfident people.

Conversely, when you feel sexy and toned (even if you statistically still are overweight), you just ooze happiness and good vibes. People are attracted to happy, confident people.

Take it all in stride. Be complimented and feel good and then use that as fire to keep going.

Well said. :smile:
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Well said. :smile:

I totally agree with this as well. It's the confidence that shows more. I feel that I get more attention now that some of my weight has come off.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I get alot of attention now that ive dropped over 60 lbs,, i hope to get to my goal weight pf 150 and cant wait to see thw attwntion .. I like it , cause ive busted my *kitten* and worked for it so hard, .. My boyfriend seen a picture of me whrn i weighed 237 lbs and next to it was a pic of me at 177, and his exact words was, "damn, i huess i never noticed cause i see u all the time, but i love what i see" tjat made my week. He never says stuff like that to me.. But i love that attention.. And ppl i work with dont only compliment me, they compliment him also, "dang, jennifet looks good , is she trying yo loose weight?"lol.. I love it, i never got good attrntio. As a kid from men, my dad was abusive, and i dated *kitten* up till i met my kevin.
  • pickthingsup
    pickthingsup Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I seem to get a lot more attention now that I have lost 42 lbs and started hitting the gym.
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    I get alot of attention now that ive dropped over 60 lbs,, i hope to get to my goal weight pf 150 and cant wait to see thw attwntion .. I like it , cause ive busted my *kitten* and worked for it so hard, .. My boyfriend seen a picture of me whrn i weighed 237 lbs and next to it was a pic of me at 177, and his exact words was, "damn, i huess i never noticed cause i see u all the time, but i love what i see" tjat made my week. He never says stuff like that to me.. But i love that attention.. And ppl i work with dont only compliment me, they compliment him also, "dang, jennifet looks good , is she trying yo loose weight?"lol.. I love it, i never got good attrntio. As a kid from men, my dad was abusive, and i dated *kitten* up till i met my kevin.

I'm very happy for you, sweetie. I'm glad you have loving supportive people and messages in your life now. :flowerforyou:
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I did get a lot of attention initially (and in fact my weight loss story was in a national magazine as well as a book) but now everyone is use to me being smaller...its the norm...it all settles down :)
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    I did get a lot of attention initially (and in fact my weight loss story was in a national magazine as well as a book) but now everyone is use to me being smaller...its the norm...it all settles down :)

wow! that's great about the magazine story... is there a link to it online? I'd love to see.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I think I got more attention before, to be honest. Especially around140lbs -ish. Now I'm 127 and only chicks check me out LOL
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!