Do you get a lot more attention after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've had more attention since losing weight, but I can say that the amount of attention I got on nights out progressively got less and less as I put the weight on.
    Hopefully when I'm next out I'll be the old size 10 me again and I'll be able to comment further!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Yep...it's growing. But it wasn't so bad before...I've got a good personality (fun and witty guy) and some dinero (attorney), but it IS fun to be checked out from time to time. ;)

Looking forward to hitting and then going sub-goal. Good luck, everyone! :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. I grew up sheltered, and never knew how to take compliments. Then fought a bad battle with PTSD and depression from combat and family loss. As I was battling it, I learned to be a lot more sensitive, and even with my wife, when she gained weight, it never bothered me, because I did love her as a person. When she started losing, she was most definitely more attractive to other men. She still doesn't believe it. But i loved the person of who she was/is.

Back to the point. I became a lot more interested in being a better, more connected person when this was taking place. Learned how to open up. With that, I became more confident about what people wanted, and actually listening to them. Somewhere in me at times, I still see the younger me, that was HWP, and muscular. And the confidence of my knowledge leads me on.

Then there are the other days when the depression hits of where I am now, and even if a woman smiles at me, I just kind of grin back and drop my head and walk by.

Keep your head up, my man. You're on the right path. :) #support!
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I will keep this thread and read it again when I lose more weight. But I definitely feel that yes, I will get more attention with weight loss. In the past, I have and I wasn't comfortable with it, but I think I am ready now. :)
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm married but I definitely get more attention from men now. I even had family members tell me I am "more beautiful now" with the weight off. IDK :tongue:
  • Cdaleerdman
    Cdaleerdman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That happened to me recently and I was very uncomfortable. I don't know how I would feel when I am normal sized.
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    Yes! But remember If they dont want you at your worse then they sure as hell dont deserve you at your best.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Yes! But remember If they dont want you at your worse then they sure as hell dont deserve you at your best.

I understand what you mean. However I also feel that people can't help what they're attracted to physically. They may care about someone very much regardless of what they look like, but sexual/physical attraction doesn't necessarily have to do with love but exists on a whole different level. I think I've come to the point that I no longer object to how people are wired naturally, and no longer feel they *should* be attracted to something they aren't.
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    Was also thinking last night that some people are much more sensitive in general, and the attention from others almost feels intrusive at times. Like feeling undressed by their eyes or something. lol! And maybe those same extra-sensitive people may have gained weight, in part, as a sort of protective layer, a way of withdrawing and hiding. Just a thought....
  • 2Blackbirds
    2Blackbirds Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Was also thinking last night that some people are much more sensitive in general, and the attention from others almost feels intrusive at times. Like feeling undressed by their eyes or something. lol! And maybe those same extra-sensitive people may have gained weight, in part, as a sort of protective layer, a way of withdrawing and hiding. Just a thought....
    That was absolutely true for me. And now that the weight is (mostly) off, I feel like mentally I am still at the stage I was when I first started encountering unwanted attention. Like, I'm in my 30s, and if I had always been at this healthy weight, by now I would have about 20 years of experience dealing with creepy dudes flirting when I want to be left alone, but instead, I have the same amount of experience as I did when I first started getting hit on before I gained weight 20 years ago, and therefore I'm still new at this. Does that make sense?

It's awkward because I have close friend who has also lost a lot of weight and she LOVES all the attention she gets now, and I don't relate to that at all and I can't explain to her why it's so uncomfortable to me. Maybe I'm just shy. Or maybe I need therapy? :ohwell:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I really think its mainly confidence. When you don't feel attractive because you're not happy with your weight you look sad. People don't like sad, unconfident people.

Conversely, when you feel sexy and toned (even if you statistically still are overweight), you just ooze happiness and good vibes. People are attracted to happy, confident people.

Take it all in stride. Be complimented and feel good and then use that as fire to keep going.

I agree ^^^^
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    That was absolutely true for me. And now that the weight is (mostly) off, I feel like mentally I am still at the stage I was when I first started encountering unwanted attention. Like, I'm in my 30s, and if I had always been at this healthy weight, by now I would have about 20 years of experience dealing with creepy dudes flirting when I want to be left alone, but instead, I have the same amount of experience as I did when I first started getting hit on before I gained weight 20 years ago, and therefore I'm still new at this. Does that make sense?

It's awkward because I have close friend who has also lost a lot of weight and she LOVES all the attention she gets now, and I don't relate to that at all and I can't explain to her why it's so uncomfortable to me. Maybe I'm just shy. Or maybe I need therapy? :ohwell:

I forgot all about this thread and just saw this. Yes, it does make sense what you're saying and no I don't think you necessarily need therapy. Not to say it couldn't be helpful just that I personally don't seek out doctors and professionals for what I consider to be common ups and downs of life... try to handle most things myself, but that's just me.

I really think people are just wired differently and some people are naturally more sensitive, pick up on more details in their surrounding, more attuned to energy and vibes, more aware of the subtleties of life. So dealing with more attention especially after a period of feeling invisible requires new tools and new skills. It can be a great opportunity to look at the thoughts that come up when someone gives us attention and to notice any self judgment or self criticism. In a way I think it's easier to feel self critical when someone else notices, as if we go through a mental checklist, wondering what they see and if they're seeing our flaws. Maybe it's an opportunity to be unconditionally accepting of ourselves, finally, and who cares what they think anyway? Maybe it's an opportunity to not care if someone is looking at you like a hungry lion at a piece of fresh steak. lol!

We all have a different background as to what drove us to gain weight. Some have abuse issues in their past, and it seems like dropping the pounds can bring certain things up to the surface to face, things we've been avoiding.

Best wishes.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm getting quite a lot of attention. At 58, I'm quite okay with that!
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Happily married for 8 yrs not going back, keep looking, bump doing better than ever
  • oldfatso2
    oldfatso2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 64. No one pays attention to me no matter how thin I am. Lol
  • Pidgeywendy
    Pidgeywendy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Loving your attitude girl!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yes... sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes it's great!

This but only uncomfortable if they come on strong but just tell them I am married and that usually stops it lol but yes you will get more attention some will be noticeable and some wont. It comes with the territory people like looking at people who are fit looking and healthy, it is natural human behaviour be proud of it!. Getting checked out/ more attention because you are in shape is better than getting stared at because you are out of shape cause I used to get that especially when I was eating or looking at clothes that were not in my size.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I can also be a bit oblivious to the attention I get But I work at a water slide and my boss told me that if I was not married they could have had me married off by the end of the summer lol I lost count of how many men asked if I would save them if they jumped in the pool and pretended to be drowning or would say hey I cant swim, if I jump in would you save me lol.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think I do get more attention. Or maybe it's just I am more self confident so I notice more now.
    My wife thinks that I get a lot more attention now though....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!