Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    I'm going to reply to this again & post a formal pic.
    I increased my weights this week.
    Squatting 100#
    Leg Press 90#
    LOVING the BURN!

I hope to increase my bench weight in 4 weeks ((fingers crossed))

cdef02f0-d169-4120-8f51-9874951e2cce_zpscac14531.jpg
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am new to lifting should I start light?! I am currently doing 4-5 set of 12 reps? ADVICE PLEASE, Still have 21kg to loose and lots of muscle to re-discover and work on.

Should i go heavier and do less reps?

HELP! PLEASE :flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am new to lifting should I start light?! I am currently doing 4-5 set of 12 reps? ADVICE PLEASE, Still have 21kg to loose and lots of muscle to re-discover and work on.

Should i go heavier and do less reps?

HELP! PLEASE :flowerforyou:

Yes, go heavier, lower reps. Check out Stronglift 5x5 or Starting Strenght for good starting programs. Either of these are great beginner programs to follow to learn how to do correct form and to get stronger. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also highly recommended.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Not Bulky by any means, but I do lift heavy! I started working out again after being lazy for a year. Its been two months and I can finally see some six pack definition and I finished my first week of Layne Norton's PHAT routine. And I use the word routine very loosely. It's not a routine by any means but more of a guideline and I love the heavy lifting mixed in with Hypertrophy.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I never lift anything heavier than my lipstick case. It's a personal rule. I have a dozen half-naked island boys who do all my lifting...saves me a lot of strain. But yeah, I'm hugely bulky and I like it...
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Alright, so I just started this week, and I obviously am a total weakling.This week, I got pretty much just the bar for everything, except for bench. So 45 squat, 45 deadlift, 55 bench (will try OHP next week).

What weight did you guys all start out on? I'm definitely sore, and was really pushing for the last rep, so I know I'm doing as much weight as possible. But I feel kinda lame, because in high school I was lifting triple this in most of my lifts. :/

Also, I'm doing 5 sets of 5 reps, because I've seen it mentioned a lot. Suggestions?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Alright, so I just started this week, and I obviously am a total weakling.This week, I got pretty much just the bar for everything, except for bench. So 45 squat, 45 deadlift, 55 bench (will try OHP next week).

What weight did you guys all start out on? I'm definitely sore, and was really pushing for the last rep, so I know I'm doing as much weight as possible. But I feel kinda lame, because in high school I was lifting triple this in most of my lifts. :/

Also, I'm doing 5 sets of 5 reps, because I've seen it mentioned a lot. Suggestions?

Starting out with the bar (or even lighter with dumbbells) is absolutely fine. Do not compare yourself to others - just make sure you are progressing. You will have relatively quick strength gains at first as your muscles 'learn how to work' in lay terms. They just need a bit of reminding.

Make sure your form is good though.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You all lift so much heavier than me! :(
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I wonder why she didn't market a heavy weights DVD as well/ instead of ?

Because it would be the most boring video in the existence of exercise dvds. "Ok, bench press. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Now rest a few minutes. (Plays elevator music). Ok. Let's do it again. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Now rest...."

If it's 'Raining Blood' playing in the elevator, I'm in.

Oh yeah, I was in here to say I used to be bulky before I lifted anything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

As I mentioned above, you should ensure you are measuring yourself against yourself and not against others.

We are all different sizes and at different stages in our lifting. Just keep progressing.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

As I mentioned above, you should ensure you are measuring yourself against yourself and not against others.

We are all different sizes and at different stages in our lifting. Just keep progressing.
    I try, I have just made so little progress with increasing my weight load. Although my physique has changed a lot at least. You're all awesome and strong!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    As I finally got around to posting before pics (and going with the 'clothed' theme):

Bulky - i.e.fat

4e7fb608-aad2-4d23-b06c-0b63cb534eb9_zps0d19af7a.jpg

Ate at a reasonable caloric deficit and lifted heavy arsed weights:

3b2d34cc-59b9-44d5-83b6-09dd63cbd475_zps85942d23.jpg
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    As I finally got around to posting before pics (and going with the 'clothed' theme):

Bulky - i.e.fat

I'll have what she's having.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Bumping for motivation
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Starting out with the bar (or even lighter with dumbbells) is absolutely fine. Do not compare yourself to others - just make sure you are progressing. You will have relatively quick strength gains at first as your muscles 'learn how to work' in lay terms. They just need a bit of reminding.

Make sure your form is good though.

Yeah, I'm really making sure my form is spot-on. Deadlift is the hardest for me right now.
  • moonbm46
    moonbm46 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting and I'm so inspired.

I'm having trouble with how much caloric deficit is okay though. I Lift 3 x's per week and do Zumba 3 x's per week. I burn twice as many calories doing zumba...around 500. I try to eat fairly clean, a lot of protein and am trying to stay around 1500-1600 calories per day. (That's my maintenance minus 300 cals) Does this seem like enough calories?
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i lift so heavy I cant pick it up again probably... wait let me try

542365_10152691236320107_891040126_n.jpg
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Bulky - i.e.fat

Your back looks......lick......

;D
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    wow ladies :love: